Saturday, August 23, 2014
SitcomsOnline Digest: Every Simpsons Ever Marathon Brings FXX Big Numbers; Another Wonder Years DVD Music Update; New CBS DVD Complete Series Sets
- The first day of the Every Simpsons Ever marathon has turned into FXX's biggest day ever for ratings. (Hollywood Reporter)
- Lifetime has put out another clip for their upcoming Unauthorized Saved by the Bell Story, this one featuring the first five minutes of the movie. (Deadline)
- Saturday nights on NBC are going to be a little bit different now that Don Pardo, the voice of Saturday Night Live for all but one season (and also a voice heard on NBC since before the days that TV was even a thing to most American households) died this week at the age of 96. (New York Times)
- Alan Landsburg, known for his production of made-for-TV movies such as Bill, The Ryan White Story, as well as the TV series In Search Of... and That's Incredible! and also the namesake for Alan Landsburg Productions (which produced Kate & Allie and Gimme a Break!, although Landsburg himself was not involved in those productions), died this week at the age of 82. (Washington Post)
- While NBC did renew the summer import series Welcome to Sweden, the other import series, Working the Engels, was not so lucky. (Hollywood Reporter)
- Fall is rapidly approaching, and as usual, MeTV and Antenna TV have some lineup changes in store. (SitcomsOnline schedule updates for MeTV, SitcomsOnline schedule updates for Antenna TV)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- Last week, we told you about The Wonder Years - The Complete Series, and the list of original music that will be included in the set. We also gave you an unofficial list of what music may be missing, but as it turns out, StarVista has also provided an official list of missing music, and what those songs have been replaced with. You can see that list here.
- The Real McCoys has been a disaster when it has come to DVD releases, with one studio releasing the first four seasons (before going bankrupt), followed by another studio that promised even better results and even planned a complete series release, but only got so far as to re-release TWO of the first four seasons that had already been released. Now, SFM is taking matters into their own hands by releasing each season as a MOD release on amazon.com.
- Warner Home Video has been talking about releasing the series Spenser: For Hire on DVD for years, but never took action. But now, it seems that Warner Archive is taking action, and will be releasing the first season at some point in the near future.
- CBS has two complete series sets on the way for November 11 with Family Ties - The Complete Series and Taxi - The Complete Series. While Family Ties has already been released as a complete series set, this version will come at a much lower price (but without the extra bonus features included in the previous release).
AUGUST 26 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Series (DVD, $129.98): The Sweathogs, along with Mr. Kotter, Mrs. Kotter, and Mr. Woodface... err Woodman... all come together with every episode of the series on DVD from Shout! Factory, along with the special features that were presented on Warner Home Video's release of the first season.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, October 25
The Middle - "Halloween VIII: The Heckoning" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Halloween approaches, Frankie is taken aback when she discovers that, if the circumstances ever arose where she and Mike got divorced, the kids would all choose to live with Mike. Meanwhile, Sue tries everything in her power to get her room back from Brick, and having to be so nice around girlfriend April all of the time leads Axl to lash out at his family.
American Housewife - "Westport Zombies" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Katie, jealous of Taylor’s friendship with neighbor Viv (Leslie Bibb), reluctantly competes in the Westport Halloween “Zombie Run” after she finds out they’ll both be running. Meanwhile, Greg and Anna-Kat get a little too much in character for the “zombie” part of the run’s obstacle course.
Fresh Off the Boat - "Louisween" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Louis’ favorite holiday, and he makes every attempt to scare Jessica into the Halloween spirit, but she is buried in her word processor, drafting her first horror novel. Meanwhile, Emery and Evan debate costume choices, and Eddie and his crew are excited to party with high schoolers at Nicole’s house.
The Real O'Neals - "The Real Halloween" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Halloween arrives, or what Kenny refers to as “the gay Super Bowl,” he plans to go to Boystown to watch the festive costume parade. In an effort to prevent Kenny from attending, Eileen agrees to let him throw his own Halloween party at home. Eileen’s tolerance is ultimately tested when Kenny recruits Stuart and his gay friends to join the big party, and he makes a BIG costume change. Meanwhile, Jimmy and Shannon plan to pull off an epic Halloween prank.
Atlanta - "Junteenth" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Why my Auntie trying to make me go to one of these bougie Junteenth parties again? I don't like them sadity people and I'm gonna miss my shows. Le sigh.
Family Time - "Head of House" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When the Stallworths have an unexpected visitor, they learn of a vicious crime that took place in their home years ago.
Tuesday, October 25
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Catch Will on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Friends) - Matt is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Cobie Smulders (How I Met Your Mother) - Cobie appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Skylar Astin (Ground Floor) - Skylar is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Mary Lynn Rajskub (How to Be a Gentleman/Veronica's Closet/The Larry Sanders Show) and David Koechner (Another Period/Hank/The Office) - Mary and David are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John appears on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Jamie Lee Curtis (Scream Queens/Anything But Love) - Jamie Lee is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Erinn Hayes (Kevin Can Wait/Guys with Kids/Worst Week) - Erinn plays a celeb guessing game with Rach, who’s serving up no-fail make-your-own takeout, on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET. She will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Cheryl Hines (Son of Zorn/Suburgatory/Curb Your Enthusiasm) - Cheryl is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Abbi Jacobson (Broad City) - Abbi will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She will also be on the AOL Build Show 4pm.
- Don Rickles (C.P.O. Sharkey/Daddy Dearest) - Don is a guest on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.