Thursday, February 09, 2012
Hallmark Channel Acquires Mary Tyler Moore Show In April 2012; ABC Family Orders Original Drama From Gilmore Girls Creator
Valentine's Day is just around the corner and "love is all around" as The Hallmark Channel has acquired the rights to the classic CBS '70s sitcom The Mary Tyler Moore Show! Who can turn the world on with her smile? Only the great Mary Tyler Moore can, along with the help of the rest of the brilliant cast: Betty White, Valerie Harper, Cloris Leachman, Ted Knight, Ed Asner, Gavin McLeod, and Georgia Engel. The series of course was about Mary Richards who was jilted by her fiancé, so she moves to Minneapolis and eventually winds up as Associate Producer of The Six O'Clock News. She also befriends her new neighbor, Rhoda Morgenstern, with whom she is initially at odds.
While Valentine's Day is next week, Hallmark will not premiere the classic sitcom until Sunday, April 1, 2012. The series will premiere with a marathon on Sunday, April 1 (and no, we're not foolin') with an all-day marathon. Details are still to come, but the marathon will also feature the 2000 ABC Monday Night TV movie Mary & Rhoda, starring Mary Tyler Moore and Valerie Harper. In the movie, Mary Richards and Rhoda Morgenstern find themselves alone after the death of Mary's husband and Rhoda's divorce. Both have relocated to New York City and try to jumpstart their dormant careers and reconnect with their daughters. Currently, the classic sitcom airs on the digital network MeTV Network and on cable on FamilyNet, so Hallmark's rights are not exclusive.
Hallmark Channel recently added The Bob Newhart Show to its schedule (started in mornings, now in late night), so it looks like they are adding classic sitcoms (both this and Mary Tyler Moore Show are MTM Enterprises sitcoms). We can't reveal the April 2012 schedule just yet, but stay with us in the coming weeks to see if The Mary Tyler Moore Show does indeed "make it after all" on the regular schedule after this marathon event. More details on the marathon are still to come, too, so stay tuned. You're gonna make it after all!
ABC Family continues to expand its original programming slate, giving the greenlight to the new drama series Bunheads (working title). Executive-produced by Amy Sherman-Palladino (Gilmore Girls) and headlined by Tony Award®-winning actor Sutton Foster, Bunheads is the tale of a Las Vegas showgirl who impulsively marries a man, moves to his sleepy coastal town, and takes an uneasy role at her new mother-in-law's dance school. Bunheads joins ABC Family's recently announced new original sitcom Baby Daddy and original reality series Beverly Hills Nannies. All three series will begin production in Spring 2012. More details will come, such as more casting and when it will premiere. Stay with us!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August)
07/08 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/12 - Grady - The Best of Grady
07/20 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 5th Season
07/26 - Family Matters - The Complete Seventh Season (WBShop.com)
07/26 - Where's Huddles? - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
08/02 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
08/09 - Maude - The Complete Final (Sixth) Season
08/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Three
08/23 - Superstore - Season One
08/23 - The Wonder Years - Complete Series (New Slipcase Version)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, August 27
Last Man Standing - "The Marriage Doctor" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Mike finds out future son-in-law Kyle fears meeting with the church’s new minister (guest star Bill Engvall), Mike tells Kyle to use him and Vanessa as a strong marriage example. But a recent argument ends up sending them to the minister instead. Meanwhile, Ryan helps Eve with her assignment to debate from the opposite side of her politically conservative beliefs.
Dr. Ken - "Korean Men's Club" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Ken, at the insistence of Allison, reluctantly joins a civics-minded community group – but it may not be what it seems. Randall Park (“Fresh Off the Boat”) guest stars as Gary Chon, the leader of the Korean Men’s Club group.
Saturday, August 27
- Kathy Garver (Family Affair) - Kathy reunites with her former co-star Johnny Whitaker on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Watch Tika on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. She also talks about Southside with You on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jerrod Carmichael (The Carmichael Show) - Jerrod is a guest on Tavis Smiley on PBS, so check your local listings.
- Walton Goggins (Vice Principals) - Walton appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Fred Savage (The Grinder/Working/The Wonder Years) - Fred guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identiy) - Jerry is a guest on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12:05am on BET or on your local stations.
- Chris D'Elia, Ron Funches, Rick Glassman and Brent Morin - The cast of Undateable are guests on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Sally Field (Gidget/The Flying Nun) - Sally whips up a delicious Pea Pesto & Potatoes with Mario Batali on a repeat of ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Valerie Bertinelli (Hot in Cleveland/One Day at a Time) - Valerie bakes up her Sicilian Love Cake for dessert on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Tyler Labine (Deadbeat/Animal Practice/Mad Love/Sons of Tucson) - Tyler talks about Zoom on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Emeril Lagasse (Emeril) - Emeril explains the surprising origins of his catchphrase “Bam!” on People Now at 8:30am.