Monday, May 22, 2006
'That's So Raven' Spin-Off; SitcomsOnline Exclusive: The 'Life Goes On' DVD Theme Story; Good Times S6 DVD
In the series, Kyle Massey and Rondell Sheridan will reprise the roles they have played for the past four years -- Cory and Victor Baxter, a son and father now making the move to the White House. They are now adjusting to life in Washington after dad Victor is chosen as personal chef to the newly elected President, Richard Martinez.
While Raven goes off to college and mom Tanya moves to the U.K. to finish law school, Victor is handpicked to be the personal chef to the newly elected president. He and Cory move into the staff quarters of the White House and must contend with characters including the president's sly 8-year-old daughter and his no-nonsense personal adviser.
While Cory marks Disney Channel's first series spin-off, another one could be making its way to the network as Disney Channel recently picked up a pilot for a spin-off of The Suite Life of Zack and Cody.
Life Goes On fans were excited when the first season was finally released on DVD May 9. Many were not so excited when they discovered that the theme song to the beloved series had been replaced. Only included in the pilot, the famous song sung by the cast is absent in the rest of the 21 episodes.
Marc Jackson of Zoo Street Music in Burbank, CA, was given the daunting task of creating a new theme song. Being a fan of the show himself, Marc understood that the fans would be initially disappointed over the missing title song. “When it is a show you love, that theme coming on evokes emotions and anticipation,” says Jackson. Jackson believed trying to capture what the original had with the cast singing a well-known Beatles song, which already evokes its own set of emotions in all of us, would be tragic to say the least. The result would be a very disappointing, watered down ghost of the original. Instead he took a risk and created something that was inspired by his own admiration for the show and its rich characters. And the song turned out to be its own thing. The result was a catchy infectious tune that may not replace the nostalgia of the original but does help set the mood for the show. Says Jackson, “To my knowledge, the open sequence has not changed. It is the exact same length and contains the same visuals. I personally thought it came out sweet and charming. I think the song works very well and I hope it grows on the audience. Whether people like the song or not, they can at least know that much care went into creating it by someone who has great respect for the show and its fans.”
Yes, we agree! The DVD theme is quite catchy even though we would all prefer the original of course, but this is a nice theme, too! So who sings the song? The song was originally sung by Marc but Warner Bros. thought that it should be sung from a woman's perspective much like the original theme was. Zoo Street hired Tara Johnston a local singer/songwriter to do the job because she had an excellent pop sensibility and capture the feel Marc was going for.
You can order the set and read our review from last month by clicking here.
Good Times fans can rest assure now because the sixth and final season will come out on DVD on August 1. We got a lot of feedback on it, and we are proud to break this story first to you. The set will be a 3 disc set running 580 minutes. More details I'm sure will pop-up on TVShowsonDVD.com a bit later. Dyno-mite! And a little hint...I expect Sony to announce some big titles for August 15. So we should know in 2 weeks what they are. Come on back!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)
06/14 - Ballers - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
06/14 - The League - Season 7 - The Final Fantasy
06/14 - The League - The Complete Series
06/14 - Maude - The Complete Fifth Season
06/14 - Survivor's Remorse - The Complete Second Season
06/21 - Workaholics - Season Six
06/24 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
06/28 - Two Guys and a Girl - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, June 30
The Big Bang Theory - "The Application Deterioration" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Leonard, Sheldon, and Wolowitz run into problems when they file for a patent for their infinite persistence gyroscope. Also, Penny, Amy and Bernadette give Koothrappali dating advice when Emily reaches out to him after their breakup.
Life in Pieces - "Bite Flight Wing-Man Bonnie" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Heather and Tim finally find another couple they actually like to socialize with, but Sophia and their son don’t hit it off. Also, Greg insists he and Jen take separate flights in case something happens to the plane, Matt and John take Gary (Martin Mull) out to meet women, and Matt’s ex-wife, Bonnie (Brenda Song), surprises him with a visit. NFL Hall of Famer Marshall Faulk guest stars as himself. Academy Award winner Helen Hunt directed the episode.
Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll - "All That Glitters Is Gold" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
The sudden death of an old friend forces the band to question where they're at and where they're going.
Thursday, June 30
- Ellie Kemper (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt/The Office) - Catch Ellie on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. She will also be on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Cedric the Entertainer (The Soul Man/The Steve Harvey Show) - Cedric appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Rebel Wilson (Super Fun Night) - Rebel is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- David Schwimmer (Friends) - David appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show/My Boys/Welcome to New York) and Adam Goldberg (The Jim Gaffigan Show) - Jim and Adam are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight. Jim will also be on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation) - Aubrey drops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Adam Devine (Workaholics/Modern Family) - Adam and Zac Efron are guests on Conan at 11pm on TBS. Adam will also be on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Maria Bamford (Lady Dynamite) - Maria appears on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Mark Consuelos (Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Nick Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Nick appears on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Sarah Michelle Gellar (The Crazy Ones) - Sarah shares two of her favorite dessert recipes you can make with your kids on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Sayeed Shahidi (Uncle Buck/The First Family) - Sayeed is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Mario Cantone (Sex and the City) - Mario is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Denis Leary (Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll/The Job) and Elizabeth Gillies (Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll/Victorious) - Denis and Leary talk about Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll on the AOL Build Show at 1pm. Denis will also beon CBS This Morning sometime between 7-9am.
- Donald Faison (The Exes/Scrubs) - Donald guest co-hosts Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Nia Long (Uncle Buck/The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Nia is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Jamie Lynn Spears (Zoey 101) - Jamie is a guest on People Now at 8:30am.
- Jane Krakowski (Undateable Kimmy Schmidt/30 Rock) - Jane appears on People Now at 8:30am.