Monday, May 22, 2006
'That's So Raven' Spin-Off; SitcomsOnline Exclusive: The 'Life Goes On' DVD Theme Story; Good Times S6 DVD
In the series, Kyle Massey and Rondell Sheridan will reprise the roles they have played for the past four years -- Cory and Victor Baxter, a son and father now making the move to the White House. They are now adjusting to life in Washington after dad Victor is chosen as personal chef to the newly elected President, Richard Martinez.
While Raven goes off to college and mom Tanya moves to the U.K. to finish law school, Victor is handpicked to be the personal chef to the newly elected president. He and Cory move into the staff quarters of the White House and must contend with characters including the president's sly 8-year-old daughter and his no-nonsense personal adviser.
While Cory marks Disney Channel's first series spin-off, another one could be making its way to the network as Disney Channel recently picked up a pilot for a spin-off of The Suite Life of Zack and Cody.
Life Goes On fans were excited when the first season was finally released on DVD May 9. Many were not so excited when they discovered that the theme song to the beloved series had been replaced. Only included in the pilot, the famous song sung by the cast is absent in the rest of the 21 episodes.
Marc Jackson of Zoo Street Music in Burbank, CA, was given the daunting task of creating a new theme song. Being a fan of the show himself, Marc understood that the fans would be initially disappointed over the missing title song. “When it is a show you love, that theme coming on evokes emotions and anticipation,” says Jackson. Jackson believed trying to capture what the original had with the cast singing a well-known Beatles song, which already evokes its own set of emotions in all of us, would be tragic to say the least. The result would be a very disappointing, watered down ghost of the original. Instead he took a risk and created something that was inspired by his own admiration for the show and its rich characters. And the song turned out to be its own thing. The result was a catchy infectious tune that may not replace the nostalgia of the original but does help set the mood for the show. Says Jackson, “To my knowledge, the open sequence has not changed. It is the exact same length and contains the same visuals. I personally thought it came out sweet and charming. I think the song works very well and I hope it grows on the audience. Whether people like the song or not, they can at least know that much care went into creating it by someone who has great respect for the show and its fans.”
Yes, we agree! The DVD theme is quite catchy even though we would all prefer the original of course, but this is a nice theme, too! So who sings the song? The song was originally sung by Marc but Warner Bros. thought that it should be sung from a woman's perspective much like the original theme was. Zoo Street hired Tara Johnston a local singer/songwriter to do the job because she had an excellent pop sensibility and capture the feel Marc was going for.
You can order the set and read our review from last month by clicking here.
Good Times fans can rest assure now because the sixth and final season will come out on DVD on August 1. We got a lot of feedback on it, and we are proud to break this story first to you. The set will be a 3 disc set running 580 minutes. More details I'm sure will pop-up on TVShowsonDVD.com a bit later. Dyno-mite! And a little hint...I expect Sony to announce some big titles for August 15. So we should know in 2 weeks what they are. Come on back!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January)
01/06 - The Cosby Show - Season 5 (Mill Creek)
01/06 - The Cosby Show - Season 6 (Mill Creek)
01/06 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 5 & 6 (Mill Creek)
01/06 - Girls - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
01/06 - Married with Children - Season Seven (Mill Creek)
01/06 - Married with Children - Season Eight (Mill Creek)
01/06 - Married with Children - Seasons Seven and Eight (Mill Creek)
01/13 - The Big House - The Complete Series
01/13 - Episodes - The Third Season
01/13 - The Facts of Life - The Complete Series (Shout! Factory
01/20 - Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, January 30
Last Man Standing - "Eve's Breakup" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Although Eve insists she’s OK after her first high school break-up, everyone has an opinion as to how she should deal with her feelings. To take her mind off it, Mike has her tag along to watch sports on Ed’s new 120-inch TV. Also, while shopping for Kristin’s wedding dress, she and Mandy fight over how Kristin broke up with Kyle.
Cristela - "Hypertension" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Daniela is worried that Cristela is neglecting her health due to her beyond-busy schedule. Daniela suggests that maybe if Cristela lost a few pounds, she could find herself a husband and ultimately mirror the life Daniela lives now. Cristela retorts by saying she doesn’t want Daniela’s life or her looks, she’s happy with who she is and being career focused. The tables are turned when Daniela coaxes Cristela down to a free clinic to test their blood pressure and it’s revealed Daniela is the one who should be concerned. Meanwhile at the office, Josh tries to impress Trent by volunteering to learn CPR and Maddie decides to teach him a lesson he won’t forget.
Friday, January 30
- Aziz Ansari (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Aziz on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting (The Big Bang Theory/8 Simple Rules) - Catch Kaley on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Adam Pally (The Mindy Project/Happy Endings) - Adam guest co-hosts The Late Late Show at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ben Schwartz (Parks and Recreation/House of Lies) - Ben appears on The Late Late Show at 12:37am on CBS. He will also be on HuffPost Live at 4pm.
- Eric Andre (2 Broke Girls/Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23) - Eric visits The Late Late Show at 12:37am on CBS.
- Don Cheadle (The Golden Palace) - Don is a guest on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. Lauren Graham (The Odd Couple/Conrad Bloom/Townies) - Lauren is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Rainn Wilson (The Office) - Rainn appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Tony Danza (Taxi/Who's the Boss?) - Tony talks about his return to Broadway, rumors of a Taxi reunion and which team he's rooting for in the Super Bowl on The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Sarah Hyland (Modern Family) - Sarah visits The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Jim O'Heir (Parks and Recreation) - Jim talks about the final season of Parks and Recreation on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Emeril Lagasse (Emeril) - Emeril gives great party recipes on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.