Monday, May 22, 2006
'That's So Raven' Spin-Off; SitcomsOnline Exclusive: The 'Life Goes On' DVD Theme Story; Good Times S6 DVD
In the series, Kyle Massey and Rondell Sheridan will reprise the roles they have played for the past four years -- Cory and Victor Baxter, a son and father now making the move to the White House. They are now adjusting to life in Washington after dad Victor is chosen as personal chef to the newly elected President, Richard Martinez.
While Raven goes off to college and mom Tanya moves to the U.K. to finish law school, Victor is handpicked to be the personal chef to the newly elected president. He and Cory move into the staff quarters of the White House and must contend with characters including the president's sly 8-year-old daughter and his no-nonsense personal adviser.
While Cory marks Disney Channel's first series spin-off, another one could be making its way to the network as Disney Channel recently picked up a pilot for a spin-off of The Suite Life of Zack and Cody.
Life Goes On fans were excited when the first season was finally released on DVD May 9. Many were not so excited when they discovered that the theme song to the beloved series had been replaced. Only included in the pilot, the famous song sung by the cast is absent in the rest of the 21 episodes.
Marc Jackson of Zoo Street Music in Burbank, CA, was given the daunting task of creating a new theme song. Being a fan of the show himself, Marc understood that the fans would be initially disappointed over the missing title song. “When it is a show you love, that theme coming on evokes emotions and anticipation,” says Jackson. Jackson believed trying to capture what the original had with the cast singing a well-known Beatles song, which already evokes its own set of emotions in all of us, would be tragic to say the least. The result would be a very disappointing, watered down ghost of the original. Instead he took a risk and created something that was inspired by his own admiration for the show and its rich characters. And the song turned out to be its own thing. The result was a catchy infectious tune that may not replace the nostalgia of the original but does help set the mood for the show. Says Jackson, “To my knowledge, the open sequence has not changed. It is the exact same length and contains the same visuals. I personally thought it came out sweet and charming. I think the song works very well and I hope it grows on the audience. Whether people like the song or not, they can at least know that much care went into creating it by someone who has great respect for the show and its fans.”
Yes, we agree! The DVD theme is quite catchy even though we would all prefer the original of course, but this is a nice theme, too! So who sings the song? The song was originally sung by Marc but Warner Bros. thought that it should be sung from a woman's perspective much like the original theme was. Zoo Street hired Tara Johnston a local singer/songwriter to do the job because she had an excellent pop sensibility and capture the feel Marc was going for.
You can order the set and read our review from last month by clicking here.
Good Times fans can rest assure now because the sixth and final season will come out on DVD on August 1. We got a lot of feedback on it, and we are proud to break this story first to you. The set will be a 3 disc set running 580 minutes. More details I'm sure will pop-up on TVShowsonDVD.com a bit later. Dyno-mite! And a little hint...I expect Sony to announce some big titles for August 15. So we should know in 2 weeks what they are. Come on back!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (November)
11/03 - Californication - The Complete Series
11/03 - Getting On - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
11/03 - Hank (1965-66) - The Complete Series
11/03 - I Love Lucy - The Complete Series
11/03 - Men at Work - The Complete Second Season
11/03 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
11/03 - 'Til Death - The Complete Third Season
11/10 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - The Complete Remastered Series (DVD)
11/10 - Maude - The Complete Third Season
11/10 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Final (Fourth) Season
11/17 - The Comedians - The Complete Series
11/17 - Cristela - The Complete First Season
11/17 - McHale's Navy - The Complete Series
11/17 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Fourth Season
11/17 - Weird Loners - The Complete Series
11/24 - George Lopez - The Complete Sixth Seaon
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, November 28
Henry Danger - "Christmas Danger" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Captain Man gets arrested for committing a petty crime, he is forced to spend Christmas in jail. Henry and Charlotte must try to help Captain Man have a good Christmas in jail.
Game Shakers - "A Reggae Potato Christmas" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
The Game Shakers visit Double G on the set of his live, self-indulgent "Double G's Christmas Special." During the opening number, his hair catches on fire and they must finish the show without him.
Monday, November 30
- Aziz Ansari (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Aziz The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Richard Kind (Spin City/Mad About You) - Richard is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Alan Tudyk (Suburgatory) - Alan appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Brent Morin and Rick Glassman (Undateable) - Brent and Rick are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- David Spade (Rules of Engagement/8 Simple Rules/Just Shoot Me!) - David stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael visits LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Kim Fields (The Facts of Life/Living Single) - Kim dishes on the new season of The Real Housewives of Atlanta and talks about why she decided to join the show on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Scott Foley (The Goodwin Games/A.U.S.A./Scrubs) - Scott drops by The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Loretta Devine (The Carmichael Show) - Loretta is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.
- America Ferrera (Superstore) - America talks about her new series Superstore on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Bob Saget (Fuller House/How I Met Your Mother/Full House) - Bob is a guest on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Cheryl Hines (Curb Your Enthusiasm/Suburgatory) - Cheryl talks about her movie Christmas Eve on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.