Wednesday, November 23, 2016
Feeling salty about 2017? Come sit with the cool kids in the cafeteria, where TV Land will be throwing shade all winter long with two hilarious comedies, beginning Tuesday, January 17. Season two of the Grade-A Teachers, starring the improv group The Katydids, returns at 10pm ET/PT, followed by Throwing Shade at 10:30pm ET/PT - the clever, timely, and boundary-pushing new late night series based on the popular podcast and Funny or Die web series hosted by Erin Gibson and Bryan Safi. Teachers revolves around a group of elementary school teachers who are trying to mold the minds of America's youth, but don't have their own lives together at all, and the second season will see the women facing elections, demotions and team-building exercises. "Teachers" is written by and stars The Katydids - Caitlin Barlow, Katy Colloton, Cate Freedman, Kate Lambert, Katie O'Brien and Kathryn Renée Thomas - and in season two, great guest stars pop up, including Haley Joel Osment as Mrs. Adler's husband, Ryan Hansen as Ms. Snap's rival in a school council race, Jessica St. Clair as the school counselor, and more surprising appearances and cameos by famous faces in comedy, pop culture and music, including Lisa Loeb, Coolio and more. Along with The Katydids, Alison Brie and showrunners Ian Roberts and Jay Martel executive produce the series. Matt Miller and Cap Gun Collective are also executive producers.
Throwing Shade, based on the hit podcast and Funny Or Die web series, is hosted by Erin Gibson (Emmy(R) nominated for Gay of Thrones, Parks and Recreation) and Bryan Safi (Modern Family, Superstore), who will bring their unique perspective to the hottest topics of today - from politics, feminism and gay rights to the latest celebrity nonsense - in front of a live studio audience. Gibson and Safi serve as executive producers, along with showrunner Charlie Siskel. Joe Farrell, Andrew Steele and Anna Wenger are also executive producers for Funny or Die.
Fox has made a pilot production commitment to the single camera comedy Thin Ice from Liz Meriwether. The commitment marks Meriwether's first comedy development since New Girl. The pilot is written by Meriwether, Ed Macdonald and Mark Grimmer, and executive produced by Meriwether and Katherine Pope, centers on a woman who reclaims her dreams when she finds herself at the end of the earth - in Antarctica - surrounded by a group of brilliant misfits. The project will be produced by Twentieth Century Fox Television in early 2017. If picked-up to series, it would air in 2017-18 season. But for now, this is just a pilot commitment.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, April 28
Stuck in the Middle - "Stuck with a Boy Genius" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Harley, Rachel, Georgie and Ethan attend their school spring formal dance, while Lewie and Beast camp out at home in the backyard.
Andi Mack - "It's Not About You" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Andi's frustration boils over when she discovers that Buffy has secretly been confiding in Bex instead of her; Cyrus double-dates with Jonah Beck, Amber and her friend Iris.
Friday, April 28
- Gabourey Sidibe (The Big C) - Watch Gabourey on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short Show) - Martin stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Britt Robertson (Girlboss) - Britt is a guest on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Anna Baryshnikov (Superior Donuts) - Anna is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) - Alec is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Laura Dern (Enlightened), Joely Fisher (Ellen/'Til Death), Clea Lewis (Ellen/Flying Blind) and David Anthony Higgins (Ellen/Malcolm in the Middle/Big Time Rush) - The Ellen DeGeneres Show celebrates the 20th Anniversary of the Ellen coming out episode, so check your local listings.
- Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) - Alec talks about Donald Trump, too much alcohol and the thing that saved his life on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Courting Alex/Accidentally on Purpose/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. She also dishes about Imaginary Mary on The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Kathryn Hahn (Happyish/Transparent/Free Agents) - Kathryn is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.