Monday, April 18, 2016
TV Land is getting into the late night game with a series pickup for Throwing Shade, the hit podcast and Funny Or Die video series, with a 10-episode order, slated to premiere in January 2017 in the 11pm ET/PT timeslot. The political and pop culture late night show, which will have a live audience, stars Erin Gibson (Parks and Recreation, Kroll Show) and Bryan Safi (Modern Family, Superstore) as themselves and will bring their unique perspective to the hottest topics of today, from feminism and gay rights to the latest celebrity nonsense. Creators Gibson and Safi launched Throwing Shade as a podcast in 2011, a yearly, multi-city, sold-out touring stage show in 2012, and in 2013, Funny Or Die picked it up for a video series. The TV Land show will be executive produced by Gibson and Safi, as well as Funny Or Die's Andrew Steele, Anna Wenger and Joe Farrell, and Charlie Siskel (Review, Tosh.0) will executive produce and serve as showrunner.
Throwing Shade is the latest in a series of projects that are reinventing TV Land into a destination for contemporary, fresh original programming. The network recently announced a pilot script order for a TV anthology series based on the 1989 cult film Heathers, and pilot orders for a comedy called Nobodies, from executive producers Melissa McCarthy and Ben Falcone, an adaptation of The First Wives Club from Sex and the City's Jenny Bicks and New Girl's Rebecca Addelman, and an untitled project based on the real life of Kyle Richards (The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills) from multiple Emmy(R) Award-winners John Wells (Shameless, The West Wing) and John Riggi (30 Rock).
UP TV, the network dedicated to providing engaging entertainment for and about families, announced today it has licensed the off-network rights to seasons 20-25 of the iconic family series America's Funniest Home Videos, the show that invented the viral video, providing viewers with hysterical moments and real life blunders that fly by at a dizzying pace. America's Funniest Home Videos made its UP premiere with a marathon on Saturday, April 9 (aired 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. EDT). Episodes also aired on Sunday, April 10 from 1 to 6 p.m. EDT and now it appears throughout UP's daily schedule. The new series represents a major addition to UP's already robust collection of original and popular hit family series, which includes Bringing Up Bates, Gilmore Girls, Supernanny, Growing Pains, The Parkers and more. UP has licensed 138 episodes of America's Funniest Home Videos in an agreement with the Disney/ABC Television Group.
Seasons 20-25 of AFV were hosted by Tom Bergeron, who is now the long-time host of Dancing with the Stars. America's Funniest Home Videos is the longest-running primetime entertainment show in the history of ABC. The show has become an iconic part of American pop culture, as evidenced by its entry into the Smithsonian’s permanent entertainment collection. Currently in its 26th season on ABC, America's Funniest Home Videos has given away over $14 million in prize money to date and evaluated more than a million video clips from home viewers. The show is produced by Vin Di Bona Productions. Vin Di Bona and Michele Nasraway serve as executive producers.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, January 19
The Big Bang Theory - "The Romance Calibration" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Penny feels that Leonard is taking her for granted, she decides to go on a spa weekend with Amy. Also, Wolowitz and Koothrappali try to fix a squeaky floorboard in the baby’s room.
The Great Indoors - "Mason Blows Up" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Jack tries to reassert his dominance as a reporter after Mason scores an investigative coup that turns him into an overnight celebrity. Also, Clark’s low self-esteem causes him to give Emma relationship advice about other guys instead of asking her out himself
Mom - "Good Karma and the Big Weird" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Bonnie encourages Christy to pursue Marjorie’s charming nephew, Nick, despite the fact that he’s been declared off limits. Chris Pratt, husband of MOM star Anna Faris, guest stars as Nick, Marjorie’s nephew.
Life in Pieces - "Tailgate Spiral Souvenir Seating" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Colleen and Matt host the family tailgate party at the L.A. Rams game, they invite former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner to spice up their so far dismal event. Also, Tim’s in danger of missing the game when Sophia makes him take her to the restroom and they get sidetracked returning to their seats; Joan and Jen try to sneak into seats closer to the field; and Greg wins a chance to participate in a halftime contest involving a football toss.
The Good Place - "Mindy St. Claire" / "Michael's Gambit" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
With the help of Chidi (William Jackson Harper) and Tahani (Jameela Jamil), Michael (Ted Danson) faces his biggest challenge yet. Meanwhile, Eleanor (Kristen Bell), Jianyu (Manny Jacinto) and Janet (D'Arcy Carden) are faced with a monumental decision.
Eleanor (Kristen Bell) and her friends contemplate their fates in the Good Place.
Baskets - "Freaks" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Chip has to decide between a tarp and snacks.
Friday, January 20
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- JoAnna Garcia Swisher (Reba/Better with You) - JoAnna visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show/My Boys/Welcome to New York) - Jim stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela drops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Nicole Byer (Loosely, Exactly Nicole) - Nicole appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Joe Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Joe guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Bernadette Peters (Mozart in the Jungle/All's Fair) - Bernadette is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Queen Latifah (Living Single) - Queen Latifah is a guest on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Andrew Dice Clay (Bless This House/Hitz) - Andrew stops by Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory/Roseanne - Johnny discusses his role in the new film, Rings, and dishes on this season of The Big Bang Theory on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.