Monday, October 19, 2015
NBCUniversal Digital Enterprises has unveiled Seeso, a new streaming comedy channel, the first of its kind offering from NBCUniversal. Set to debut in January 2016, the ad-free subscription service will be available at www.seeso.com and on streaming platforms, connected devices and other distribution partners for $3.99 per month. Seeso strives to combine the immediacy of TV viewing with the best in OTT technology, creating a unique user experience. The streaming channel will offer a variety of SVOD innovations, including an autoplay function which provides immediate viewing satisfaction. Additionally, a hunt while you watch function will allow viewers to continue watching while they look for what to watch next; and the free-forever front porch, which enables viewers to enjoy a subset of Seeso content – no credit card required – by entering only an email address. Targeting comedy super fans, Seeso will offer subscribers a stream of comedy programming updated with new content every day, new episodes of exclusive, original comedy each and every week, live-streamed stand-up every month, and curated acquired series and films throughout the year. Additionally, Seeso staff and guest comedy nerds will handpick on demand playlists of recommended content each month.
Seeso will feature weekly programming including more than 20 exclusive, original series from comedy illuminati in the first year. Original shows include HarmonQuest, a comedy epic, combining live action and animation from Community and Rick and Morty creator Dan Harmon; The UCB Show from hosts, creators, and Upright Citizens Brigade founders Amy Poehler, Matt Walsh, Ian Roberts and Matt Besser; reality show spoof Bajillion Dollar Propertie$ from executive producers Scott Aukerman, Ben Garant, Tom Lennon and Kulap Vilaysack; workplace comedy Thingstarter, and dating game improv show Dave & Ethan: Lovemakers, both from Broadway Video's Above Average Productions; stand-up series Night Train with Wyatt Cenac; stand-up series Take My Wife from creators and hosts Cameron Esposito and Rhea Butcher; travel show parody Hidden America with Johan Ray; comedy series Live From The Barrel House and The Comedy Show Show from Rooftop Comedy; a musical comedy about mismatched housemates – one human, one puppet - Sammy J & Randy in Ricketts Lane; dark family comedy Flowers,”starring Julian Barratt and Olivia Colman; among numerous others.
Beyond its originals, Seeso will curate an "artisanal selection" of great comedy, featuring for the first time ever on SVOD and exclusively on Seeso, Monty Python's Flying Circus, remastered to HD for the first time, along with the Python films, and the complete collection of Python documentaries and specials. Seeso's curated library also includes the entire collection of The Kids in the Hall, also remastered to HD for the first time; complete collections of NBC late night hits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Late Night with Seth Meyers, and Saturday Night Live – including new episodes of each show available next day; and the entire series of NBC's hit The Office, the original BBC version of The Office, Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock, The Mighty Boosh, The IT Crowd, Nathan Barley, The Young Ones, and hundreds of hours of television and films, specifically chosen to fit the Seeso filter of right brain comedy.
FX has ordered the first season of Atlanta, a half-hour series created by and starring Donald Glover. Actor, writer and musician Glover will serve as Executive Producer, along with Paul Simms (Girls, Flight of the Conchords, NewsRadio) and Dianne McGunigle of MGMT Entertainment. Atlanta will be produced by FX Productions and air on FX in 2016. Glover is an award-winning actor and writer best known for playing "Troy" on the sitcom Community. As a writer on NBC's 30 Rock, Glover received a WGA Award for best Comedy Series in 2008, 2009 and 2010. Atlanta will also star Brian Tyree Henry, Lakeith Lee Stanfield and Zazie Beetz. Atlanta revolves around two cousins on their way up through the Atlanta rap scene.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, October 25
The Middle - "Halloween VIII: The Heckoning" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Halloween approaches, Frankie is taken aback when she discovers that, if the circumstances ever arose where she and Mike got divorced, the kids would all choose to live with Mike. Meanwhile, Sue tries everything in her power to get her room back from Brick, and having to be so nice around girlfriend April all of the time leads Axl to lash out at his family.
American Housewife - "Westport Zombies" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Katie, jealous of Taylor’s friendship with neighbor Viv (Leslie Bibb), reluctantly competes in the Westport Halloween “Zombie Run” after she finds out they’ll both be running. Meanwhile, Greg and Anna-Kat get a little too much in character for the “zombie” part of the run’s obstacle course.
Fresh Off the Boat - "Louisween" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Louis’ favorite holiday, and he makes every attempt to scare Jessica into the Halloween spirit, but she is buried in her word processor, drafting her first horror novel. Meanwhile, Emery and Evan debate costume choices, and Eddie and his crew are excited to party with high schoolers at Nicole’s house.
The Real O'Neals - "The Real Halloween" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Halloween arrives, or what Kenny refers to as “the gay Super Bowl,” he plans to go to Boystown to watch the festive costume parade. In an effort to prevent Kenny from attending, Eileen agrees to let him throw his own Halloween party at home. Eileen’s tolerance is ultimately tested when Kenny recruits Stuart and his gay friends to join the big party, and he makes a BIG costume change. Meanwhile, Jimmy and Shannon plan to pull off an epic Halloween prank.
Atlanta - "Junteenth" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Why my Auntie trying to make me go to one of these bougie Junteenth parties again? I don't like them sadity people and I'm gonna miss my shows. Le sigh.
Family Time - "Head of House" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When the Stallworths have an unexpected visitor, they learn of a vicious crime that took place in their home years ago.
Tuesday, October 25
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Catch Will on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Friends) - Matt is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Cobie Smulders (How I Met Your Mother) - Cobie appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Skylar Astin (Ground Floor) - Skylar is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Mary Lynn Rajskub (How to Be a Gentleman/Veronica's Closet/The Larry Sanders Show) and David Koechner (Another Period/Hank/The Office) - Mary and David are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John appears on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Jamie Lee Curtis (Scream Queens/Anything But Love) - Jamie Lee is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Erinn Hayes (Kevin Can Wait/Guys with Kids/Worst Week) - Erinn plays a celeb guessing game with Rach, who’s serving up no-fail make-your-own takeout, on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET. She will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Cheryl Hines (Son of Zorn/Suburgatory/Curb Your Enthusiasm) - Cheryl is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Abbi Jacobson (Broad City) - Abbi will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She will also be on the AOL Build Show 4pm.
- Don Rickles (C.P.O. Sharkey/Daddy Dearest) - Don is a guest on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.