Monday, October 19, 2015
NBCUniversal Digital Enterprises has unveiled Seeso, a new streaming comedy channel, the first of its kind offering from NBCUniversal. Set to debut in January 2016, the ad-free subscription service will be available at www.seeso.com and on streaming platforms, connected devices and other distribution partners for $3.99 per month. Seeso strives to combine the immediacy of TV viewing with the best in OTT technology, creating a unique user experience. The streaming channel will offer a variety of SVOD innovations, including an autoplay function which provides immediate viewing satisfaction. Additionally, a hunt while you watch function will allow viewers to continue watching while they look for what to watch next; and the free-forever front porch, which enables viewers to enjoy a subset of Seeso content – no credit card required – by entering only an email address. Targeting comedy super fans, Seeso will offer subscribers a stream of comedy programming updated with new content every day, new episodes of exclusive, original comedy each and every week, live-streamed stand-up every month, and curated acquired series and films throughout the year. Additionally, Seeso staff and guest comedy nerds will handpick on demand playlists of recommended content each month.
Seeso will feature weekly programming including more than 20 exclusive, original series from comedy illuminati in the first year. Original shows include HarmonQuest, a comedy epic, combining live action and animation from Community and Rick and Morty creator Dan Harmon; The UCB Show from hosts, creators, and Upright Citizens Brigade founders Amy Poehler, Matt Walsh, Ian Roberts and Matt Besser; reality show spoof Bajillion Dollar Propertie$ from executive producers Scott Aukerman, Ben Garant, Tom Lennon and Kulap Vilaysack; workplace comedy Thingstarter, and dating game improv show Dave & Ethan: Lovemakers, both from Broadway Video's Above Average Productions; stand-up series Night Train with Wyatt Cenac; stand-up series Take My Wife from creators and hosts Cameron Esposito and Rhea Butcher; travel show parody Hidden America with Johan Ray; comedy series Live From The Barrel House and The Comedy Show Show from Rooftop Comedy; a musical comedy about mismatched housemates – one human, one puppet - Sammy J & Randy in Ricketts Lane; dark family comedy Flowers,”starring Julian Barratt and Olivia Colman; among numerous others.
Beyond its originals, Seeso will curate an "artisanal selection" of great comedy, featuring for the first time ever on SVOD and exclusively on Seeso, Monty Python's Flying Circus, remastered to HD for the first time, along with the Python films, and the complete collection of Python documentaries and specials. Seeso's curated library also includes the entire collection of The Kids in the Hall, also remastered to HD for the first time; complete collections of NBC late night hits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Late Night with Seth Meyers, and Saturday Night Live – including new episodes of each show available next day; and the entire series of NBC's hit The Office, the original BBC version of The Office, Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock, The Mighty Boosh, The IT Crowd, Nathan Barley, The Young Ones, and hundreds of hours of television and films, specifically chosen to fit the Seeso filter of right brain comedy.
FX has ordered the first season of Atlanta, a half-hour series created by and starring Donald Glover. Actor, writer and musician Glover will serve as Executive Producer, along with Paul Simms (Girls, Flight of the Conchords, NewsRadio) and Dianne McGunigle of MGMT Entertainment. Atlanta will be produced by FX Productions and air on FX in 2016. Glover is an award-winning actor and writer best known for playing "Troy" on the sitcom Community. As a writer on NBC's 30 Rock, Glover received a WGA Award for best Comedy Series in 2008, 2009 and 2010. Atlanta will also star Brian Tyree Henry, Lakeith Lee Stanfield and Zazie Beetz. Atlanta revolves around two cousins on their way up through the Atlanta rap scene.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, February 23
The Big Bang Theory - "The Comic-Con Conundrum" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
With Koothrappali cut off from his father’s fortune, he appoints Sheldon to help him get out of debt. Also, Penny considers joining Leonard at Comic-Con.
The Great Indoors - "Friends Like These" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Jack desperately begs his co-workers to pretend to be his closest friends at a dinner party after his lack of an inner circle begins to concern his girlfriend, Rachel (Maggie Lawson). However, he soon regrets asking for their help after they all behave awkwardly in her presence.
Mom - "Night Swimmin' and an English Muffin" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When Bonnie discovers Adam is still close with his ex-wife, Danielle (Wendie Malick), Christy worries the emotional fallout could jeopardize Bonnie’s sobriety.
Life in Pieces - "Awkward Bra Automated Ordained" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Dinner gets awkward for Jen and Matt when they find themselves alone without Greg and Colleen. Also, Lark accidentally locks out Greg and Jen from the house, prompting Greg to install a complicated home automation system; Heather and Tim try to sneak wine into an ice skating show to get out of paying at the venue; and John and Joan agree to an impromptu wedding after Colleen mentions that she’s an ordained minister.
Superstore - "Wellness Fair" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Amy (America Ferrera) sees Mateo (Nico Santos) out on a secret date with Jeff (recurring guest star Michael Bunin), she ignores Garrett's (Colton Dunn) advice to stay out of it, and ends up throwing multiple relationships - both real and imagined - into chaos. Meanwhile, Glenn (Mark McKinney) resents Jonah (Ben Feldman) for outshining him during Cloud 9's Wellness Fair, and Dina (Lauren Ash) tries to prove that Amy faked an illness.
Powerless - "Emily Dates a Henchman" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After being urged by her team, Emily (Vanessa Hudgens) sets her sights on the dating world but unknowingly falls for one of the Riddler's henchmen (guest star Robert Buckley). Meanwhile, Teddy (Danny Pudi) and Ron (Ron Funches) find a Batman artifact and discover Van's (Alan Tudyk) superhero fantasy. Christina Kirk also stars.
Baskets - "Marthager" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Martha books Chip a gig at a car crash.
Thursday, February 23
- John Travolta (Welcome Back, Kotter) - Catch John on a repeat of the 2015 Jimmy Kimmel Live: After the Oscars special at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation) - Aubrey visits The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Bradley Whitford (Trophy Wife) - Bradley is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Get Out in the 9am hour. He appears on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Allison Williams (Girls) - Allison appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Paul Scheer (The League/Fresh Off the Boat) - Paul visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 4:30pm.
- Rob Huebel (Transparent/Burning Love) - Rob drops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 4:30pm.
- Nick Kroll (The League/Cavemen) - Nick appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jermaine Fowler (Superior Donuts) - Jermaine is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- David Spade (Rules of Enagement/8 Simple Rules/Just Shoot Me!) - David appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Norm Macdonald (The Norm Show/A Minute with Stan Hooper) - Norm is a guest on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Rob Schneider (Real Rob/Rob/Men Behaving Badly) - Rob appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- David Duchovny (Californication) - David stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Mary-Louise Parker (Weeds) - Mary-Louise is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mae Whitman (Arrested Development) - Mae appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly) - Billy joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Holly Robinson Peete (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/For Your Love) - Holly appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.