Monday, October 19, 2015
NBCUniversal Digital Enterprises has unveiled Seeso, a new streaming comedy channel, the first of its kind offering from NBCUniversal. Set to debut in January 2016, the ad-free subscription service will be available at www.seeso.com and on streaming platforms, connected devices and other distribution partners for $3.99 per month. Seeso strives to combine the immediacy of TV viewing with the best in OTT technology, creating a unique user experience. The streaming channel will offer a variety of SVOD innovations, including an autoplay function which provides immediate viewing satisfaction. Additionally, a hunt while you watch function will allow viewers to continue watching while they look for what to watch next; and the free-forever front porch, which enables viewers to enjoy a subset of Seeso content – no credit card required – by entering only an email address. Targeting comedy super fans, Seeso will offer subscribers a stream of comedy programming updated with new content every day, new episodes of exclusive, original comedy each and every week, live-streamed stand-up every month, and curated acquired series and films throughout the year. Additionally, Seeso staff and guest comedy nerds will handpick on demand playlists of recommended content each month.
Seeso will feature weekly programming including more than 20 exclusive, original series from comedy illuminati in the first year. Original shows include HarmonQuest, a comedy epic, combining live action and animation from Community and Rick and Morty creator Dan Harmon; The UCB Show from hosts, creators, and Upright Citizens Brigade founders Amy Poehler, Matt Walsh, Ian Roberts and Matt Besser; reality show spoof Bajillion Dollar Propertie$ from executive producers Scott Aukerman, Ben Garant, Tom Lennon and Kulap Vilaysack; workplace comedy Thingstarter, and dating game improv show Dave & Ethan: Lovemakers, both from Broadway Video's Above Average Productions; stand-up series Night Train with Wyatt Cenac; stand-up series Take My Wife from creators and hosts Cameron Esposito and Rhea Butcher; travel show parody Hidden America with Johan Ray; comedy series Live From The Barrel House and The Comedy Show Show from Rooftop Comedy; a musical comedy about mismatched housemates – one human, one puppet - Sammy J & Randy in Ricketts Lane; dark family comedy Flowers,”starring Julian Barratt and Olivia Colman; among numerous others.
Beyond its originals, Seeso will curate an "artisanal selection" of great comedy, featuring for the first time ever on SVOD and exclusively on Seeso, Monty Python's Flying Circus, remastered to HD for the first time, along with the Python films, and the complete collection of Python documentaries and specials. Seeso's curated library also includes the entire collection of The Kids in the Hall, also remastered to HD for the first time; complete collections of NBC late night hits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Late Night with Seth Meyers, and Saturday Night Live – including new episodes of each show available next day; and the entire series of NBC's hit The Office, the original BBC version of The Office, Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock, The Mighty Boosh, The IT Crowd, Nathan Barley, The Young Ones, and hundreds of hours of television and films, specifically chosen to fit the Seeso filter of right brain comedy.
FX has ordered the first season of Atlanta, a half-hour series created by and starring Donald Glover. Actor, writer and musician Glover will serve as Executive Producer, along with Paul Simms (Girls, Flight of the Conchords, NewsRadio) and Dianne McGunigle of MGMT Entertainment. Atlanta will be produced by FX Productions and air on FX in 2016. Glover is an award-winning actor and writer best known for playing "Troy" on the sitcom Community. As a writer on NBC's 30 Rock, Glover received a WGA Award for best Comedy Series in 2008, 2009 and 2010. Atlanta will also star Brian Tyree Henry, Lakeith Lee Stanfield and Zazie Beetz. Atlanta revolves around two cousins on their way up through the Atlanta rap scene.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, April 25
The Middle - "Trip and Fall" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Trashy neighbor Rita Glossner (Brooke Shields) talks an apprehensive Frankie into taking a road trip to an unknown destination; Mike takes an embarrassing fall at the quarry and has to deal with even more embarrassment when OSHA is called in to investigate; and Sue attempts to convince Axl to end his estrangement with the family after learning their true feelings about April.
American Housewife - "The Otto Motto" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Taylor keeps quitting school activities, Greg says that Katie, quite the quitter herself, sets a poor example. He challenges her to finally learn French after quitting lessons so long ago, so she reluctantly enrolls in a college class.
Speechless - "S-I-- SICK D-A-- DAY" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Maya gets sick, Jimmy is forced to be the mom of the house, and Dylan becomes Kenneth’s replacement for JJ when Kenneth also gets sick. Jimmy ends up doing well with Maya’s normal duties, but he tries to keep it from her to avoid her feeling bad. Meanwhile, JJ protects Dylan from a boy she’s interested in. And despite its illness, the family bands together and pulls an all-nighter to finish Ray’s school project.
Imaginary Mary - "In a World Where Worlds Collide" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Alice freaks out when her friends want to meet Ben. But when an outing with everyone goes surprisingly well, Alice wants to meet Ben’s friends. However, Ben is hesitant but devises a plan that will impress Alice; but later, he makes a surprising admission.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "The Last Ride" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
In what could be their last case as partners, Jake and Charles go to great extremes to apprehend a local bike thief. Terry shockingly isn’t in the lead for “Mr. Nine-Nine” (the detective who has solved the most cases), leaving Rosa determined to boost his ego. Meanwhile, Amy spends some precious time with Holt.
The Mick - "The Implant" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Sabrina tells Mickey she wants to augment her figure, so Mickey decides the best way to dissuade her from doing so is to do a test-run in public. Meanwhile, Jimmy takes Chip and Ben to a baseball game to teach them how to be more masculine.
Great News - "Pilot" (NBC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Katie (Briga Heelan), a frustrated cable news producer, is horrified when her mom, Carol (Andrea Martin), gets an internship at "The Breakdown." Despite Katie's best efforts, Carol is instantly beloved by the entire office, including blowhard veteran anchor Chuck (John Michael Higgins). But when Katie hits a roadblock while producing a big story, she realizes that maybe having a mom at work isn't such a bad thing.
Great News - "Bear Attack" (NBC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Katie (Briga Heelan) tries to set workplace boundaries with Carol (Andrea Martin), but when a big story about an escaped bear lands in her lap, her mom can't help but meddle. Meanwhile, Greg (Adam Campbell) tries to get Chuck (John Michael Higgins) and Portia (Nicole Richie) to do a little friendly banter at the end of the show.
The Detour - "The Mule" (TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Robin and Nate live out their action movie fantasies as they make their way to the kids, who are actually doing fine without them.
The Detour - "The Ass" (TBS, 10:30PM ET/PT)
The family reunites, but this time Robin makes a huge mistake.
Tuesday, April 25
- Amanda Peet (Brockmire/Togetherness/Bent) - Catch Amanda on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC. She also appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Patton Oswalt (The Goldbergs/The King of Queens) - Patton stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Kal Penn (We Are Men/How I Met Your Mother) - Kal is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Sanaa stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Reid Scott (Veep/My Boys) - Reid visits Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Arden Myrin (Working) - Arden appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Hank Azaria (Brockmire/The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Andrea Martin (Difficult People/Working the Engels) - Andrea visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Patti will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Andrea Martin (Great News/Difficult People/Working the Engels) - Andrea talks about Good News on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 10am hour.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Jason Jones (The Detour) - Jason talks about The Detour on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Ross Lynch (Austin & Ally) - Ross opens up about his new movie My Friend Dahmer on People Now at 8:30am.
- Tim Daly (Wings) - Tim is a guest on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Peter Engel (Producer of Saved by the Bell/California Dreams/Hang Time) - Peter dishes about his new memoir I Was Saved by the Bell on the The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Sherri Shepherd (Trial & Error/Less Than Perfect/Sherri) - Sherri is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Danny DeVito (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia/Taxi) - Danny appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.