Monday, October 19, 2015
NBCUniversal Digital Enterprises has unveiled Seeso, a new streaming comedy channel, the first of its kind offering from NBCUniversal. Set to debut in January 2016, the ad-free subscription service will be available at www.seeso.com and on streaming platforms, connected devices and other distribution partners for $3.99 per month. Seeso strives to combine the immediacy of TV viewing with the best in OTT technology, creating a unique user experience. The streaming channel will offer a variety of SVOD innovations, including an autoplay function which provides immediate viewing satisfaction. Additionally, a hunt while you watch function will allow viewers to continue watching while they look for what to watch next; and the free-forever front porch, which enables viewers to enjoy a subset of Seeso content – no credit card required – by entering only an email address. Targeting comedy super fans, Seeso will offer subscribers a stream of comedy programming updated with new content every day, new episodes of exclusive, original comedy each and every week, live-streamed stand-up every month, and curated acquired series and films throughout the year. Additionally, Seeso staff and guest comedy nerds will handpick on demand playlists of recommended content each month.
Seeso will feature weekly programming including more than 20 exclusive, original series from comedy illuminati in the first year. Original shows include HarmonQuest, a comedy epic, combining live action and animation from Community and Rick and Morty creator Dan Harmon; The UCB Show from hosts, creators, and Upright Citizens Brigade founders Amy Poehler, Matt Walsh, Ian Roberts and Matt Besser; reality show spoof Bajillion Dollar Propertie$ from executive producers Scott Aukerman, Ben Garant, Tom Lennon and Kulap Vilaysack; workplace comedy Thingstarter, and dating game improv show Dave & Ethan: Lovemakers, both from Broadway Video's Above Average Productions; stand-up series Night Train with Wyatt Cenac; stand-up series Take My Wife from creators and hosts Cameron Esposito and Rhea Butcher; travel show parody Hidden America with Johan Ray; comedy series Live From The Barrel House and The Comedy Show Show from Rooftop Comedy; a musical comedy about mismatched housemates – one human, one puppet - Sammy J & Randy in Ricketts Lane; dark family comedy Flowers,”starring Julian Barratt and Olivia Colman; among numerous others.
Beyond its originals, Seeso will curate an "artisanal selection" of great comedy, featuring for the first time ever on SVOD and exclusively on Seeso, Monty Python's Flying Circus, remastered to HD for the first time, along with the Python films, and the complete collection of Python documentaries and specials. Seeso's curated library also includes the entire collection of The Kids in the Hall, also remastered to HD for the first time; complete collections of NBC late night hits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Late Night with Seth Meyers, and Saturday Night Live – including new episodes of each show available next day; and the entire series of NBC's hit The Office, the original BBC version of The Office, Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock, The Mighty Boosh, The IT Crowd, Nathan Barley, The Young Ones, and hundreds of hours of television and films, specifically chosen to fit the Seeso filter of right brain comedy.
FX has ordered the first season of Atlanta, a half-hour series created by and starring Donald Glover. Actor, writer and musician Glover will serve as Executive Producer, along with Paul Simms (Girls, Flight of the Conchords, NewsRadio) and Dianne McGunigle of MGMT Entertainment. Atlanta will be produced by FX Productions and air on FX in 2016. Glover is an award-winning actor and writer best known for playing "Troy" on the sitcom Community. As a writer on NBC's 30 Rock, Glover received a WGA Award for best Comedy Series in 2008, 2009 and 2010. Atlanta will also star Brian Tyree Henry, Lakeith Lee Stanfield and Zazie Beetz. Atlanta revolves around two cousins on their way up through the Atlanta rap scene.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, September 28
The Goldbergs - "I Heart Video Dating" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Erica and Lainey try to find Bill a woman of interest by using new technology for dating. They recruit Adam to create a demo reel, but Beverly insists she will find someone the old fashioned way. Meanwhile, after a “failed” aptitude test, Barry decides he wants to be a gym teacher and becomes Coach Mellor’s apprentice.
Speechless - "N-E--NEW A-I--AIDE" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Maya struggles as Kenneth takes over as JJ’s full-time aide. Loving his new freedom, JJ avoids attending a physical therapy appointment, and Maya automatically blames Kenneth, using any excuse to confirm her misgivings and moves to fire him. Meanwhile, Jimmy struggles to teach Dylan the family way to not be so neighborly.
Modern Family - "A Stereotypical Day" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Jay does not want to give the new family moving in across the street the wrong impression and goes out of his way to make sure they know he is the best kind of neighbor, while Manny decides that the best way to an attractive and radical-thinking teenage girl’s heart is through his actions. Meanwhile, at the Pritchett house, the entire family is using Alex’s recent bout of mono to their advantage. Finally, Cam and Mitchell have always felt they were the most open, non-judgmental and supportive parents. However, when they overhear Lily insulting her new friend, they have to take a quick look in the mirror before they teach her a lesson about acceptance.
black-ish - "God" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Dre discovers that Zoey is questioning her belief in God, he undergoes a crisis of faith and leans on family members and coworkers for their input. Meanwhile, Bow’s brother Johan comes to stay with The Johnsons after living abroad and becomes an instant thorn in Dre’s side.
Younger - "A Kiss is Just a Kiss" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Liza sends Caitlin off to college and struggles to weigh her feelings for both Josh and Charles.
Impastor - "The Devil Went Down to Ladner" (TV Land, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Buddy’s attempt to outfox the detectives backfires. Dora, Alexa, and Russell suspect something ominous is going on with their new pastor. Schmidt learns the truth about Ashlee.
You're the Worst - "Twenty-Two" (FXX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Edgar spends the day trying to find some relief for his PTSD.
Wednesday, September 28
- Sarah Jessica Parker (Divorce/Sex and the City/Square Pegs) - Watch Sarah on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Daveed Diggs (black-ish) - Daveed stops by Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- January Jones (The Last Man on Earth) - January appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. She will also be on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings and on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Wilmer Valderrama (That '70s Show) - Wilmer visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ken Marino (Marry Me/Party Down/Men Behaving Badly) - Ken is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Ted Danson (The Good Place/Becker/Cheers) - Ted stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. appears on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Kristin Chenoweth (Kristin) - Kristin joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Nathan Lane (Modern Family/Encore! Encore!/Charlie Lawrence) and John Goodman (Roseanne) - Nathan and John talk about The Front Page on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Hilary Duff (Younger/Lizzie McGuire) and Debbie Mazar (Younger/Entourage/Working) - Hilary and Debbie talk about Younger on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. Hilary will also be on People Now at 8:30am.
- The Cast of Impastor - Michael Rosenbaum, Sara Rue, Mircea Monroe, David Rasche and Mike Kosinski discuss Impastor on the AOL Build Show at 12pm and on Facebook Live. Sara will also be on PIX Morning News on WPIX in New York.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Norm Macdonald (Norm) - Norm appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.