Tuesday, October 27, 2015
Returning to the same stage where he brought his acerbic sense of humor to Hollywood, Ricky Gervais has been named host of the 73rd Annual Golden Globe Awards(R), set for Jan. 10, 2016 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. The three-hour ceremony serves as the official kick-off to awards season and will be aired live coast to coast from 8-11 pm ET on NBC. Gervais hosted the Globes for three consecutive years (2010-12) when the network registered ratings gains from the previous two telecasts. Over that 2010-12 span, the Golden Globes averaged a 5.2 rating in the 18-49 demo and 17 million viewers overall, which was a 6% increase from the 2009 telecast in the demo and 14% or 2.1 million persons in total viewers (17.0 million vs. 14.9 million).
Gervais first introduced himself to global audiences with his 2001 British TV hit The Office, in which he starred as his tragic creation, David Brent. The Office would soon become a wildly successful global format, including an Emmy-winning nine-season run on NBC. Gervais is about to continue The Office saga by directing his fourth Hollywood movie, David Brent: Life on the Road. Following The Office, Gervais starred and created a string of HBO projects: Extras, Life's Too Short and The Ricky Gervais Show, which was based on his record-breaking podcast that has been downloaded more than 500 million times. On the film side, Gervais has co-starred in several features, including the Night at the Museum franchise, Muppets Most Wanted, Ghost Town and The Invention of Lying, and is currently putting final touches to Special Correspondents, which he wrote and co-directed. As a stand-up comedian, Gervais has sold over 2 million tickets in arenas around the world. He is also the author of the popular children's book series "Flanimals."
Nominations for the Golden Globes will be announced Thursday, Dec. 10. Winners in 25 categories - 14 in film and 11 in television - are voted on by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. Stay with us for the nominations and of course the winners a month later on Jan. 10.
Dr. Phil McGraw will guest star on the new Fox comedy Grandfathered. McGraw will play Dr. Bateman, the first doctor Jimmy (John Stamos) has seen in more than 20 years. Grandfathered is a coming-of-middle-age comedy starring John Stamos (Full House, ER) as the ultimate bachelor whose life is turned upside down when the son (Josh Peck, The Mindy Project) he never knew he had walks in to his life and informs him he's not only a father, but a grandfather. Grandfathered returns with all new episodes beginning Tuesday, Nov. 3 @ 8/7c on Fox with guest star JoAnna Garcaia-Swisher, if there is no game six of the MLB World Series between the NY Mets and the Kansas City Royals. John Stamos' Full House pal Dave Coulier will guest star on the Nov. 10 episode. There is no word yet on when the Dr. Phil episode will air, so stay tuned.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, January 19
The Big Bang Theory - "The Romance Calibration" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Penny feels that Leonard is taking her for granted, she decides to go on a spa weekend with Amy. Also, Wolowitz and Koothrappali try to fix a squeaky floorboard in the baby’s room.
The Great Indoors - "Mason Blows Up" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Jack tries to reassert his dominance as a reporter after Mason scores an investigative coup that turns him into an overnight celebrity. Also, Clark’s low self-esteem causes him to give Emma relationship advice about other guys instead of asking her out himself
Mom - "Good Karma and the Big Weird" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Bonnie encourages Christy to pursue Marjorie’s charming nephew, Nick, despite the fact that he’s been declared off limits. Chris Pratt, husband of MOM star Anna Faris, guest stars as Nick, Marjorie’s nephew.
Life in Pieces - "Tailgate Spiral Souvenir Seating" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Colleen and Matt host the family tailgate party at the L.A. Rams game, they invite former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner to spice up their so far dismal event. Also, Tim’s in danger of missing the game when Sophia makes him take her to the restroom and they get sidetracked returning to their seats; Joan and Jen try to sneak into seats closer to the field; and Greg wins a chance to participate in a halftime contest involving a football toss.
The Good Place - "Mindy St. Claire" / "Michael's Gambit" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
With the help of Chidi (William Jackson Harper) and Tahani (Jameela Jamil), Michael (Ted Danson) faces his biggest challenge yet. Meanwhile, Eleanor (Kristen Bell), Jianyu (Manny Jacinto) and Janet (D'Arcy Carden) are faced with a monumental decision.
Eleanor (Kristen Bell) and her friends contemplate their fates in the Good Place.
Baskets - "Freaks" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Chip has to decide between a tarp and snacks.
Friday, January 20
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- JoAnna Garcia Swisher (Reba/Better with You) - JoAnna visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show/My Boys/Welcome to New York) - Jim stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela drops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Nicole Byer (Loosely, Exactly Nicole) - Nicole appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Joe Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Joe guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Bernadette Peters (Mozart in the Jungle/All's Fair) - Bernadette is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Queen Latifah (Living Single) - Queen Latifah is a guest on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Andrew Dice Clay (Bless This House/Hitz) - Andrew stops by Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory/Roseanne - Johnny discusses his role in the new film, Rings, and dishes on this season of The Big Bang Theory on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.