Thursday, October 22, 2015
Following its successful series debut on October 7, the Hulu Original Casual has already been picked up for a second season with a 13-episode order. Lionsgate Television's critically-acclaimed comedy series will return with creator and executive producer Zander Lehmann and executive producers Jason Reitman (Juno, Up in the Air), Helen Estabrook and Liz Tigelaar. Casual has drawn praise for stars Michaela Watkins, Tommy Dewey, Tara Lynne Barr and Nyasha Hatendi, who will all return as series regulars for the second season. Hulu will continue to roll out weekly episodes for its 10-episode straight-to-series order for season one of Casual, launching its fourth episode today. All episodes will be available to stream to subscribers in both Hulu's limited and no commercials plans.
Casual follows the story of a dysfunctional family with a bachelor brother and his newly divorced sister. Together, they coach each other through the crazy world of dating (on-line and off), while living under one roof again and raising a teenager. New episodes are available every Wednesday. In episode four streaming today, Alex (Tommy Dewey) goes back to work for the first time in weeks. Valerie (Michaela Watkins) slips up and breaks one of his cardinal rules of casual sex, while Laura (Tara Lynne Barr) begins to bond with her photography teacher after class.
The second season of Casual will join 11/22/63, an event series based upon the best-selling Stephen King novel from J.J. Abrams' Bad Robot Productions; The Path, a drama series from Jason Katims' True Jack Productions starring Aaron Paul, Michelle Monaghan and Hugh Dancy; The Mindy Project, a comedy series from Mindy Kaling; and comedy series Difficult People produced by Amy Poehler with stars Julie Klausner and Billy Eichner.
Actress and singer Pat Woodell, who was best known for her role as Bobbie Jo Bradley in the first two seasons of Petticoat Junction, has died. She died on September 29 at her home in Fallbrook, California, after a long battle with cancer. Ms. Woodell was 71.
Woodell starred as the first Bobbie Jo Bradley in seasons one and two of Petticoat Junction from 1963-1965. Her book-loving character appeared in 64 out of 74 episodes. She performed musical numbers in several episodes, including "The Ladybugs." The Ladybugs, a Beatles parody group, consisted of her TV sisters Linda Kaye, Jeannine Riley, together with Sheila James. The Ladybugs also appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show in 1964. Woodell was replaced by Lori Saunders after she left to promote her singing career. She was interviewed and provided episode introductions for the season one and two DVD releases of the series in 2008-2009.
She guest starred as Miss Thompson in one of the last episodes ("A Visit from the Teacher") of The Munsters in 1966. Some of her other television guest appearances included Cheyenne, Hawaiian Eye, The Gallant Man, GE True, 77 Sunset Strip, Bright Promise and The New Perry Mason. She retired from acting in 1973.
We remember another 1960s sitcom actress. Melody Patterson was best known for her role Wrangler Jane in F Troop. She died on August 20 at a nursing home in Hollister, Missouri, of multiple organ failure. Ms. Patterson was 66.
Patterson starred as Jane Angelica Thrift/Wrangler Jane in the ABC sitcom F Troop from 1965-1967. Her hard-riding, fast-shooting cowgirl character owned Wrangler Jane's Trading Post and ran the U.S. post office in town. She was Captain Wilton Parmenter's (Ken Berry) beautiful but tomboyish, feisty, romantically aggressive girlfriend. Patterson was only 16 years old when she first appeared on the show.
Some of her sitcom guest appearances included Wendy and Me, The Monkees and Green Acres. Her drama guest appearances included Adam-12 and three episodes of Hawaii Five-O. She was married to Hawaii Five-O star James MacArthur from 1970-1975. She is survived by her husband, Vern Miller.
We thank these talented and beautiful actresses for the entertainment they brought us in their classic 1960s sitcoms. They will be deeply missed.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, February 23
The Big Bang Theory - "The Comic-Con Conundrum" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
With Koothrappali cut off from his father’s fortune, he appoints Sheldon to help him get out of debt. Also, Penny considers joining Leonard at Comic-Con.
The Great Indoors - "Friends Like These" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Jack desperately begs his co-workers to pretend to be his closest friends at a dinner party after his lack of an inner circle begins to concern his girlfriend, Rachel (Maggie Lawson). However, he soon regrets asking for their help after they all behave awkwardly in her presence.
Mom - "Night Swimmin' and an English Muffin" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When Bonnie discovers Adam is still close with his ex-wife, Danielle (Wendie Malick), Christy worries the emotional fallout could jeopardize Bonnie’s sobriety.
Life in Pieces - "Awkward Bra Automated Ordained" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Dinner gets awkward for Jen and Matt when they find themselves alone without Greg and Colleen. Also, Lark accidentally locks out Greg and Jen from the house, prompting Greg to install a complicated home automation system; Heather and Tim try to sneak wine into an ice skating show to get out of paying at the venue; and John and Joan agree to an impromptu wedding after Colleen mentions that she’s an ordained minister.
Superstore - "Wellness Fair" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Amy (America Ferrera) sees Mateo (Nico Santos) out on a secret date with Jeff (recurring guest star Michael Bunin), she ignores Garrett's (Colton Dunn) advice to stay out of it, and ends up throwing multiple relationships - both real and imagined - into chaos. Meanwhile, Glenn (Mark McKinney) resents Jonah (Ben Feldman) for outshining him during Cloud 9's Wellness Fair, and Dina (Lauren Ash) tries to prove that Amy faked an illness.
Powerless - "Emily Dates a Henchman" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After being urged by her team, Emily (Vanessa Hudgens) sets her sights on the dating world but unknowingly falls for one of the Riddler's henchmen (guest star Robert Buckley). Meanwhile, Teddy (Danny Pudi) and Ron (Ron Funches) find a Batman artifact and discover Van's (Alan Tudyk) superhero fantasy. Christina Kirk also stars.
Baskets - "Marthager" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Martha books Chip a gig at a car crash.
Thursday, February 23
- John Travolta (Welcome Back, Kotter) - Catch John on a repeat of the 2015 Jimmy Kimmel Live: After the Oscars special at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation) - Aubrey visits The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Bradley Whitford (Trophy Wife) - Bradley is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Get Out in the 9am hour. He appears on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Allison Williams (Girls) - Allison appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Paul Scheer (The League/Fresh Off the Boat) - Paul visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 4:30pm.
- Rob Huebel (Transparent/Burning Love) - Rob drops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 4:30pm.
- Nick Kroll (The League/Cavemen) - Nick appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jermaine Fowler (Superior Donuts) - Jermaine is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- David Spade (Rules of Enagement/8 Simple Rules/Just Shoot Me!) - David appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Norm Macdonald (The Norm Show/A Minute with Stan Hooper) - Norm is a guest on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Rob Schneider (Real Rob/Rob/Men Behaving Badly) - Rob appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- David Duchovny (Californication) - David stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Mary-Louise Parker (Weeds) - Mary-Louise is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mae Whitman (Arrested Development) - Mae appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly) - Billy joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Holly Robinson Peete (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/For Your Love) - Holly appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.