Tuesday, November 18, 2014
TVGN announced that it will rebrand as Pop across its distribution of 80 million homes on Wednesday, Jan. 14, 2015. The CBS/Lionsgate joint venture, currently known as TVGN, will embrace a new on-air look and creative design to accompany its new brand promise - celebrating the fun of being a fan, as we previously announced. Among the original series will be The Story Behind, airing Wednesdays at 8:30pm. The Story Behind features new episodes that go behind-the-scenes of TV's greatest hits and most iconic shows, and how they got their start. The series reveals stories straight from the set with exclusive on-camera interviews with all the insider players from cast members to producers to television executives. The one-hour episodes will highlight some of TV's most treasured classics, including Everybody Loves Raymond, Home Improvement, Beverly Hills 90210, Will & Grace, Full House, Friends and ER. The Story Behind will be a Pop Media Group production and will begin with The Story Behind: Everybody Loves Raymond on Jan. 14.
Also, docu-sitcom Unusually Thicke returns for a second season this spring 2015 starring Alan Thicke. Not even seven seasons as Dr. Jason Seaver on Growing Pains could prepare Alan Thicke to be the patriarch of his own modern family. Between his fiery, much younger Latina wife, Tanya, and his three sons - teenaged know-it-all Carter, pop star Robin and marijuana dispensary owner Brennan - Alan Thicke has his work cut out for him as a father, a husband and a Hollywood actor, writer and icon. Unusually Thicke follows the hilarious, action-packed and dramatic daily lives of Alan's real-life family. Dozens of celebrity appearances have been featured in the series, including David Hasselhoff, Bob Saget, Magic Johnson, Wayne Gretzky, John Stamos, Bill Maher and Tom Green, with many more to come. Unusually Thicke is an original series that blends reality television with situation comedy, and is produced by Peacock Alley Entertainment.
Pop will also have its own sitcom, Schitt's Creek, premiering Wednesday, Feb. 11, 2015 at 10:00 PM, ET/PT. Starring the incomparable Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara, the character-driven comedy series (created by and starring Eugene Levy and his son Daniel) will become the first original scripted project in the history of the network. Thirteen half-hour episodes will star Emmy winners(R) Eugene Levy (American Pie, Best In Show, SCTV) and Catherine O'Hara (Home Alone, Best In Show, SCTV) and Chris Elliott (How I Met Your Mother, Late Show With David Letterman, There's Something About Mary) alongside Daniel Levy (Admission) and Annie Murphy (Blue Mountain State). The series centers on filthy rich video store magnate Johnny Rose (Eugene Levy), his soap star wife Moira (Catherine O'Hara), and their two kids, über-hipster son David (Daniel Levy) and socialite daughter Alexis (Annie Murphy), after they suddenly find themselves broke. They are forced to live in Schitt's Creek, a depressing small town they once bought as a joke. And finally, what about the network's reruns like Family Ties, The Love Boat and more? No word yet on the full weekday schedule, but the #Throwback programming lineup will continue. The new 90210 will begin airing Monday, Jan. 19, 2015 at 4:00 PM, ET/PT with the original two-hour pilot, and beginning Tuesday, Jan. 20, 2015, the series will air at its regularly scheduled time slot of Monday through Friday at 5:00 PM, ET/PT. The original Beverly Hills, 90210 will continue to air marathons Tuesdays at 12:00 PM, ET/PT. But that's not all! The original Melrose Place will join the line-up and air weekly beginning Wednesday, Jan. 28, 2015 at 12:00 PM, ET/PT. Stay with us for continued updates on the #Throwback block as we get closer to January.92
The fifth season of Mike & Molly, starring Billy Gardell and Emmy Award winner and Academy Award nominee Melissa McCarthy, will premiere Monday, Dec. 8 at 8:30PM ET/PT on CBS. One week earlier, on Monday, Dec. 1, four encore episodes of the series will air from 8:00-10:00PM, followed by a rebroadcast of Scorpion at a special time of 10:00PM ET/PT. Mike & Molly replaces canceled sitcom The Millers on the schedule. Mike & Molly will air right after 2 Broke Girls and will lead into new episodes of new drama Scorpion at 9. Mike & Molly of course stars Billy Gardell, Melissa McCarthy, Reno Wilson, Katy Mixon, Nyambi Nyambi, Swoosie Kurtz, Louis Mustillo, Cleo King, Rondi Reed and David Higgins. Chuck Lorre and Al Higgins are the executive producers for Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Chuck Lorre Productions, Inc. and Warner Bros. Television. The comedy is about a working-class Chicago couple who had almost given up on love...and then found each other.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, October 24
Kevin Can Wait - "Beat the Parents" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Kevin and Donna are thrilled when their son, Jack, makes friends with a boy from school, Grayden (Graydon Peter Yosowitz), however, when Donna and Kevin don’t hit it off with Grayden’s arrogant father, Vic (Ray Romano), and his pushy wife, Brandi (Lindsay Broad), they set out to sabotage the boys’ new friendship. Matt Romano guest stars as Vic’s second son, Braden.
Man with a Plan - "Pilot" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Golden Globe Award winner Matt LeBlanc stars as Adam, a contractor who starts spending more time with his three kids when his wife, Andi, goes back to work and discovers the truth all parents eventually realize—their little angels are maniacs.
2 Broke Girls - "And the Godmama Drama" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Oleg and Sophie’s plan to have Max and Caroline as Barbara’s godparents is derailed when Oleg’s domineering mother, Olga (Mercedes Ruehl), arrives from the Ukraine for the baby’s baptism and fires Max and Caroline from their godparent duties.
The Odd Couple - "Food Fight" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Oscar learns that his favorite hangout, Langford’s, is in financial trouble, he impulsively asks Felix to help save it, without considering the disastrous consequences. Also, Felix tries to make his mark on the restaurant when the owner, Fred Langford (Fred Willard), puts him in charge for a few days.
Monday, October 24
- Ricky Gervais (The Office) - Watch Ricky on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Inferno on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Kate Micucci (Raising Hope/The Big Bang Theory) - Kate is a guest on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jameela Jamil (The Good Place) - Jameela appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Aya Cash (You're the Worst) - Aya talks about You're the Worst on the AOL Build ShoW at 2pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 12:30pm.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Good Girls Revolt on People Now at 8:30am.
- James Brolin (Life in Pieces) - James is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.