Tuesday, November 11, 2014
Get ready to see a pair of new faces on the Greendale campus next season. Paget Brewster (Criminal Minds) and Keith David (Enlisted) are joining the cast of Community, which returns for its sixth season next year exclusively on Yahoo! Screen. Brewster will play Francesca "Frankie" Dart, a consultant brought in to help whip the school into shape (good luck with that), while David plays retired scientist Elroy Patashnik. (It's not clear if Elroy is a student or a professor at Greendale... but that's a fine line, anyway.) Both Brewster and David boast serious sitcom cred. Along with her six seasons on Criminal Minds, Brewster played Joey's (and then Chandler's) girlfriend Kathy in a memorable Friends arc, and later guest starred on Two and a Half Men, King of the Hill, and Modern Family. David played tough guys for years in movies like Platoon and Armageddon before cracking us up as Command Sergeant Major Donald Cody on Fox's late, lamented military comedy Enlisted. (Weirdly, Brewster actually guest starred on Community last season, as IT department head Debra Chambers. Hmmm... will Abed notice that Frankie and Debra look just alike?)
Brewster and David should help fill the void left by a few departing Community cast members: Yvette Nicole Brown (Shirley) announced in September she'd be leaving the show to care for her ailing father, and last season saw the exit of Donald Glover (Troy). Plus, co-stars Jonathan Banks (Buzz) and John Oliver (Professor Duncan) aren't expected back, since they're busy working on Better Get Saul and Last Week Tonight, respectively. But never fear, fans: Main cast members Joel McHale (Jeff), Gillian Jacobs (Britta), Danny Pudi (Abed), Alison Brie (Annie), Jim Rash (Dean Pelton), and Ken Jeong (Chang) are all back for another semester at Greendale. We have a little more information on Community Season 6 to share as well: Production gets underway November 17 (that's next week!), and the 13 new episodes will air in early 2015 on Yahoo. Are you excited yet, Human Beings?
That five o'clock shadow creeping across Sterling Archer's chiseled face is no new disguise or carefully considered grooming statement. The world's most cunning and dangerous spy is on a new mission and the stakes couldn't be higher. Sterling Archer, for the first time, is growing a moustache to promote men's health awareness during the annual Movember campaign to support the Movember Foundation. The title character in FX's hit comedy Archer says it's a natural move, as he is always trying to improve on his own health: "Like, this month I've cut out gummy bears from my scotch drinking." Now everyone can support Archer's quest. Donations to the Movember Foundation can be made through Archer's personal Movember Ambassador page. If you want to memorialize Sterling's mission, the FX Shop is offering an exclusive Archer "Movember" T-Shirt. Not only will your wardrobe get a dash of awesome, but all profits will be donated to the Movember Foundation.
To date, the Movember Foundation has raised over $559 million and funded over 800 programs in 21 countries by raising awareness about prostate cancer, testicular cancer and mental health problems. Some 4 million moustaches have been grown worldwide in response to the Foundation's challenge to grow a 'stache during Movember (formerly known as November).
Archer returns to FX in January 2015 for its sixth season. FX has ordered 13 episodes for both the sixth and a seventh seasons of the Emmy(R) and Annie Award nominated animated hit comedy series. Archer was created by Adam Reed and is executive produced by Reed and Matthew Thompson at Floyd County Productions. The series is produced by FX Productions. If you don't know by now, Archer is an animated, half-hour comedy that revolves around an international spy agency and the lives of its employees. Although their work of espionage, reconnaissance missions, wiretapping and undercover surveillance is daunting and dangerous, every covert operation and global crisis is actually just another excuse for the staff to undermine, sabotage and betray each other for personal gain. The series features the voices of H. Jon Benjamin as the highly skilled and incredibly vain master spy "Sterling Archer;" Aisha Tyler as Archer's fellow agent and ex-girlfriend, "Lana Kane;" Jessica Walter as Archer's domineering mother and spy agency director, "Malory Archer;" Chris Parnell as the easily intimidated comptroller-turned secret agent "Cyril Figgis;" Judy Greer as Malory's loquacious, dingbat secretary, "Cheryl;" Amber Nash as the discordant director of human resources, "Pam Poovey;" Adam Reed as the gay voice of reason, "Ray Gillette;" and Lucky Yates as the spy agency's possibly mad scientist/ possibly clone of himself, "Krieger."
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Sunday, December 4
The Simpsons - "The Last Traction Hero" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
A workplace accident leaves Homer in a cast, and in a position to sue Mr. Burns. This leaves Marge unfulfilled, so she turns to an unexpected source for romance. Meanwhile, Lisa is made “Bus Monitor” and tries to keep the peace.
Son of Zorn - "Return of the Drinking Buddy" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Zorn’s old friend Headbutt Man (guest voice Rob Riggle) is coming to town. Unfortunately for Zorn, Headbutt Man is now sober. Meanwhile, Alan is invited to a party where his crush, Nancy (guest star Emily Wong), will be. Unfortunately, he has to take Headbutt man’s daughter with him.
Family Guy - "Carter and Tricia" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Carter buys the Pawtucket Patriot brewery and decides to cut some corners to save a few bucks. Peter overhears the plan and runs and tells investigative journalist Tricia Takanawa about Carter’s plan to use toxic chemicals in the beer cans. Meanwhile, Brian’s drivers’ license has expired and he enlists Stewie as an instructor.
The Last Man on Earth - "Whitney Houston, We Have a Problem" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
After finding a mysterious note left by Melissa that says “Goodbye,” the gang sets off to go look for her. Meanwhile, Gail gets stuck on a solo adventure of her own.
K.C. Undercover - "Holly Holly Not So Jolly" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Christmas time arrives and K.C. tells everyone she has to go pick up a last-minute gift, but instead goes to The Organization's therapist, Dr. Levinstein.
Mech X-4 - "Let's Survive in the Woods!" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Principal Grey sets a trap for Ryan, Harris and Spyder while they're on a camping trip, which leaves MECH-X4 and Mark in danger.
Best Friends Whenever - "The Christmas Curse" (Disney Channel, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Shelby and Cyd encourage a homesick Daisy to incorporate a festive 16th-century tradition into their annual Christmas party.
Monday, December 5
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Watch Will on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Steve Harvey (The Steve Harvey Show) - Steve visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. He chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jason Bateman (Arrested Development/The Hogan Family/It's Your Move) - Jason visits The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Gael García Bernal (Mozart in the Jungle) - Gael is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Steve Agee (The Sarah Silverman Program) - Steve appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- The Cast of Fuller House - The cast of Fuller House are guests on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Patricia Heaton (The Middle/Back to You/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Patricia stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Miss Piggy (The Muppets) - Miss Piggy and Harry perform Deck the Halls on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Meredith Hagner (Search Party/Men at Work) - Meredith is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Lauren Graham (The Odd Couple/Conrad Bloom/Townies) - Lauren appears on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. talks about Office Christmas Party on the AOL Build Show at 3pm. He will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET. He can also be heard on The Morning Mash Up on SiriusXM at 9:50am.
- Bradley Whitford (Happyish/Trophy Wife) - Bradley is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Josh McDermitt (Retired at 35) - Josh can be heard on The Morning Mash Up on SiriusXM at 10:45am.
- Erinn Hayes (Kevin Can Wait/Guys with Kids/Worst Week) - Erinn talks about Kevin Can Wait on the AOL Build Show at 4pm.