Saturday, March 29, 2014
- Six seasons and a movie? That could be in the works for NBC's Community, regardless of what NBC decides to do with the series. It appears that if NBC decides not to renew the series (which has been renewed every season, despite constantly struggling in the ratings), Sony is looking at plans for offering a sixth season on a streaming service. (Zap2it)
- Proving once again that Amazon Studios (yes, that same place that started by selling books almost two decades ago) is serious about competing with traditional television, Dana Delany has been cast in their latest pilot, a drama called Hand of God. Production is set to begin next month. (The Hollywood Reporter)
- Remember the Fox reality series Joe Millionaire? Well, the network is going in that direction again this with I Wanna Marry "Harry", a reality show where American women are tricked into thinking they're on a show where the winner gets to marry Prince Harry, a series that is sure to be either the most unrealistic reality show ever or the cruelest reality show ever. (Entertainment Weekly)
- As it turns out, Twitter is more powerful for TV series and stars than one would suspect. (Deadline)
- The Boondocks debuted on Adult Swim nine years ago, and hasn't had a new episode since 2010. But finally, the series is coming back for a fourth (and final) season, without creator Aaron McGruder, on April 21. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- For the first time in a very long time, Mill Creek is releasing a season of a TV series that has never been seen on DVD, at least not in the US. On June 3, Highway to Heaven - The Complete Fourth Season arrives on DVD for the very first time.
- Meanwhile, on May 20, two more sitcoms from Sony will get a re-release from Mill Creek: The Jeffersons and The Facts of Life. Both sets will include the first two seasons, although it should be noted that the re-release of the first season of The Facts of Life has been available for a while at most retailers.
- Time-Life/StarVista is hard at work on their complete series set for The Wonder Years, but before they get too far ahead, they're interested in knowing what you think are the best episodes of the series, so that they can prepare special features for those episodes. You can tell them on their Facebook page.
APRIL 1 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Mary Tyler Moore Episodes (DVD, $24.98): This best of release from RLJ Entertainment contains 20 of Mary Tyler Moore's best performances on the series.
- I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (DVD, $14.98): A value priced re-release of the first two seasons of a series from Mill Creek.
- Newsradio - Seasons 1 and 2 (DVD, $14.98): Another value priced re-release of the first two seasons of a series from Mill Creek.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, October 22
Superstore - "Guns, Pills and Birds" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Amy (America Ferrera) assigns an uncomfortable Jonah (Ben Feldman) to the gun section of Cloud 9, Jonah abuses his right-to-refuse sale to anyone that causes concern, causing an open-carry protest to gather in the store. On principle, Glenn (Mark McKinney) attempts to purchase all of the store's morning-after pills, but finds himself in a moral dilemma when he can't afford them. Dina (Lauren Ash), Garrett (Colton Dunn) and Mateo (Nico Santos) hunt down a crow that has flown into the store.
The Thundermans - "Happy Heroween" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It's a major Halloween storm outside, but inside Colosso keeps the family spooked by telling three scary stories that are sure to terrify even the bravest of superheroes.
School of Rock - "Welcome to My Nightmare" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Mr. Finn's class decides to celebrate Halloween in school after Principal Mullins, who hates the holiday, goes home sick. When she returns sooner than expected, they have to scramble to keep her from finding out the truth.
Saturday, October 22
- Jim J. Bullock (Too Close for Comfort) - Jim talks about touring the U.S. in Kinky Boots on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Catch Patti on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Ricky Gervais (The Office) - Watch Ricky on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Inferno on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jameela Jamil (The Good Place) - Jameela appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Aya Cash (You're the Worst) - Aya talks about You're the Worst on the AOL Build ShoW at 2pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 12:30pm.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Good Girls Revolt on People Now at 8:30am.
- James Brolin (Life in Pieces) - James is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.