Tuesday, March 25, 2014
ABC Summer 2014 Schedule Includes Return of Alyssa Milano Drama; The Boondocks Returns for Final Season on Adult Swim
ABC announced its summer lineup, with four new series joining the schedule: new drama The Astronaut Wives Club on Thursday, July 24 at 9:00pm; new reality Bachelor in Paradise on Monday, August 4 at 8:00pm; new singing reality series Rising Star on Sunday, June 22 from 9:00-11:00pm; and new reality The Quest on Thursday, June 19 at 8:00 pm. These series join returning shows The Bachelorette, which premieres at a special time, on Monday, May 19 at 9:30pm, before moving to its regular time period of 8:00pm on Monday, May 26; game show Bet On Your Baby returns on Saturday, May 31 at 8:00pm; Extreme Weight Loss is back on Tuesday, May 27 at 8:00pm; drama Mistresses returns on Monday, June 2 at 10:01pm; crime drama Motive on Wednesday, May 21 at 10:00pm; real life docudrama NY Med on Tuesday, June 24 at 10:00pm; long-running cop show Rookie Blue on Thursday, July 17 at 10:00pm; and summer staple Wipeout, which debuts with a special two-hour premiere on Sunday, June 22 at 7:00pm, before moving to its regular time period of 8:00pm the following Sunday, June 29.
As previously announced, new drama Black Box will debut on Thursday, April 24 at 10:00pm and will run into July. The 2014 Billboard Music Awards will air on Sunday, May 18 at 8:00pm. And finally, Jimmy Kimmel Live: Game Night primetime specials will be back for the seventh consecutive year, airing each night of the NBA Finals, starting with Game 1 on Thursday, June 5 at 8:00pm.
The Boondocks, the award-winning animated comedy series returns for its final season on Monday, April 21 at 10:30pm (ET/PT) on Adult Swim. The Boondocks is produced by Sony Pictures Television. This season was produced without the involvement of Aaron McGruder, when a mutually agreeable production schedule could not be determined. In The Boondocks, Robert "Granddad" Freeman (John Witherspoon, Friday After Next) is the cantankerous legal guardian of his rambunctious grandkids Huey and Riley (Regina King, Southland, 227) and has moved them from the south side of Chicago to the quiet and safety of "The Boondocks" (in this case, suburban Woodcrest), hoping that he can ignore them altogether and enjoy the golden years of his life in peace. But Huey, a 10-year-old left wing revolutionary, is determined not to enjoy the affluence of suburbia. This attitude is seconded by his 8-year-old brother, Riley, a proud product of contemporary rap culture. Although they torture each other and provoke the neighborhood, they are no match for Granddad, who is eccentric even by "crazy-ass-old-black-man" standards. Gary Anthony Williams (Boston Legal) as Uncle Ruckus, Gabby Soleil (Johnson Family Vacation) as Jazmine Dubois and Jill Talley (Camp Lazlo) as Sarah Dubois round out the cast, with Cedric Yarbrough (Reno 911!) returning as the voice of fan favorite Colonel H. Stinkmeaner in addition to Tom Dubois.
Throughout the final season, an eclectic mix of hip-hop artists, actors, comedians and media personalities will voice guest characters on the series, including Jenifer Lewis (Think Like a Man), Dennis Haysbert (24), Busta Rhymes, Snoop Dogg, Ghostface Killah, CeeLo, Lil Wayne, Donald Faison (Scrubs), Aisha Tyler (Balls of Fury), Kym Whitley (Reno 911!), Tichina Arnold (Everybody Hates Chris), Mo'Nique (The Parkers), Marion Ross (Happy Days), Tavis Smiley, Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine), Bill Duke (X-Men: The Last Stand), and Cedric the Entertainer (Talk to Me). Reprising their guest roles from last season are Xzibit, Charlie Murphy, MTV's Sway and Katt Williams, among others.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, September 29
Superstore - "Back to Work" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Jeff (recurring guest star Michael Bunin), the district manager from corporate, tells the Cloud 9 employees he is going to be around for the day to see what can improve in the store. Amy (America Ferrera) tries to impress him with a perfect day, but a workplace accident threatens her plan. Meanwhile, Glenn (Mark McKinney) tries to come off as a tough boss in front of Jeff, Jonah (Ben Feldman) attempts to help an unyielding Dina (Lauren Ash) win over the employees she betrayed in the strike and Mateo (Nico Santos) discovers something about Jeff in his pursuit to win him over.
The Good Place - "Jason Mendoza" (NBC, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Eleanor (Kristen Bell) faces her toughest test yet in her attempt to remain in hiding. Meanwhile, Michael (Ted Danson) enlists Tahani (Jameela Jamil) to help a fellow neighbor fulfill her true purpose.
The Big Bang Theory - "The Earworm Reverberation" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Sheldon has a revelation when he realizes why a song was stuck in his head. Also, Amy invites Dave (Stephen Merchant) over for dinner despite their previously awkward date, and Wolowitz and Koothrappali become obsessed with a fan of their band, “Footprints on the Moon.”
Kevin Can Wait - "Pilot" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Kevin James stars as a newly retired police officer looking forward to spending carefree, quality time with his wife and three kids, only to find he faces tougher challenges at home than he ever did on the streets.
Better Things - "Woman Is the Something of the Something" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Sam gets really looked at.
Thursday, September 29
- Judith Light (Transparent/Phenom/Who's the Boss?) - Catch Judith on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Tim Meadows (Son of Zorn/Marry Me/The Michael Richards Show) - Tim appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 3pm.
- Max Greenfield (New Girl/Modern Men) - Max drops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community), Dave Foley (Dr. Ken/NewsRadio) and Suzy Nakamura (Dr. Ken/Go On) - Ken, Dave and Suzy are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight. Ken will also be on Harry, so check your local listings.
- January Jones (The Last Man on Earth) - January stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Sarah Jessica Parker (Divorce/Sex and the City/Square Pegs) - Sarah appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Holland Taylor (Two and a Half Men/The Powers That Be) - Holland talks about The Front Page on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Jamie-Lynn Sigler (Guys with Kids) - Jamie-Lynn is a guest on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am and on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.