Monday, March 17, 2014
Cedric's The Soul Man LIVE Premiere to Be Simulcast on 3 Networks; CBS Renews Big Bang Theory for 3 More Seasons, Plus 17 Other Series Renewed
Viacom networks TV Land, BET and CENTRIC have announced that they will simulcast the LIVE season three premiere of TV Land's original sitcom The Soul Man on Wednesday, March 26 at 10:30pm ET/PT. CENTRIC will also showcase the series beginning in April by running marathons of the first two seasons. Additionally, starting April 5, CENTRIC will air the new third season every Saturday at a special time of 10pm, 10 days after the episode debuts on TV Land. All subsequent episodes will air Saturdays at 9pm. The LIVE season premiere of The Soul Man will air on all three networks immediately following the LIVE season premiere of Hot in Cleveland, airing on TV Land at 10pm ET/PT. Fans can live tweet along with all three networks using the hashtag #SOULMANLive.
The Soul Man stars Cedric "The Entertainer" and Niecy Nash and follows R&B superstar-turned-minister Reverend Boyce "The Voice" Ballentine (Cedric) after he relocated from Las Vegas to St. Louis with his wife Lolli (Nash). While learning to adjust to their new humble life, they have plenty of obstacles in their way. One of these is Boyce's brother Stamps (Wesley Jonathan), who seems to have taken up permanent residence in their house - and that's only made worse when Stamps sparks a new relationship with Lolli's sister (Kellee Stewart). Eight episodes have been ordered for the third season.
The Big Bang Theory, which is TV's most-watched comedy and the top-rated broadcast entertainment show among adults 18-49, has been renewed for an additional three years, extending it through the 2016-2017 season. Also, CBS announced pick-ups for 17 other series for next season. Combined with its previously announced pick-ups, CBS has now renewed 20 returning series for the 2014-2015 season, encompassing 17 hours of primetime programming. The 18 series renewed comprise 15.5 hours of CBS's weekly primetime schedule and include nine dramas, five comedies, two reality series and two news programs. The nine dramas picked up are: NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, Person of Interest, CSI, Hawaii Five-0, Blue Bloods, Criminal Minds, Elementary and The Good Wife. The other renewed comedies in addition to The Big Bang Theory are 2 Broke Girls, The Millers, Mike & Molly, Mom and Two and a Half Men. In alternative programming, the Network announced pick-ups for its Emmy Award-winning reality series The Amazing Race and Undercover Boss, joining the previously announced renewal of Survivor for two more editions in 2014-15. Finally, in news, CBS will return 60 Minutes and 48 Hours Mystery. There are other series that still could be picked-up for next season, like The Crazy Ones, but no word yet and we probably won't know until the upfront in May. Stay tuned!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May)
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
05/02 - Red, White and Blue Collar Sitcoms - Make TV Great Again
05/09 - ALF - The Complete DVD Collection
05/09 - Divorce - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
05/09 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Second Season
05/16 - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, May 22
Angie Tribeca - "License to Drill" (TBS, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Geils lands in trouble when he helps a woman investigate whether her husband is having an affair.
Young & Hungry - "Young & Amnesia" (Freeform, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Gabi attempts to cure Josh's amnesia by re-creating the first time they met.
Baby Daddy - "Daddy's Girl" (Freeform, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Riley is confined to the couch; Ben struggles to answer Emma's questions about her mother.
Monday, May 22
- Chelsea Handler (Are You There, Chelsea?) - Watch Chelsea on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. She chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Kyle Chandler (What About Joan?) - Kyle appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also talks about Bloodline on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Michaela Watkins (Casual/Trophy Wife) - Michaela is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Seaton Smith (Mulaney) - Seaton stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Nicole Richie (Great News) - Nicole visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Kym Whitley (Young & Hungry/Animal Practice/The Parkers) - Kym guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Tichina Arnold (Survivor's Remorse/Happily Divorced/Everybody Hates Chris/Martin) - Tichina appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Brenda Strong (The Help/Scorch) - Brenda talks about Supergirl on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Tituss Burgess (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) - Tituss joins Clinton Kelly to whip up a delicious delight on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Patti performs a jazz song from her new album on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Loretta Devine and Lil Rel Howery (The Carmichael Show) - Loretta and Lil are guests on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Zoe Lister-Jones (Life in Pieces/Friends with Better Lives/Whitney) - Zoe talks about her new comedy Band Aid on the AOL Build Show 1pm.
- Ellie Reed (Girlboss) - Ellie talks about Girlboss on the AOL Build Show at 5pm.