Monday, March 17, 2014
Cedric's The Soul Man LIVE Premiere to Be Simulcast on 3 Networks; CBS Renews Big Bang Theory for 3 More Seasons, Plus 17 Other Series Renewed
Viacom networks TV Land, BET and CENTRIC have announced that they will simulcast the LIVE season three premiere of TV Land's original sitcom The Soul Man on Wednesday, March 26 at 10:30pm ET/PT. CENTRIC will also showcase the series beginning in April by running marathons of the first two seasons. Additionally, starting April 5, CENTRIC will air the new third season every Saturday at a special time of 10pm, 10 days after the episode debuts on TV Land. All subsequent episodes will air Saturdays at 9pm. The LIVE season premiere of The Soul Man will air on all three networks immediately following the LIVE season premiere of Hot in Cleveland, airing on TV Land at 10pm ET/PT. Fans can live tweet along with all three networks using the hashtag #SOULMANLive.
The Soul Man stars Cedric "The Entertainer" and Niecy Nash and follows R&B superstar-turned-minister Reverend Boyce "The Voice" Ballentine (Cedric) after he relocated from Las Vegas to St. Louis with his wife Lolli (Nash). While learning to adjust to their new humble life, they have plenty of obstacles in their way. One of these is Boyce's brother Stamps (Wesley Jonathan), who seems to have taken up permanent residence in their house - and that's only made worse when Stamps sparks a new relationship with Lolli's sister (Kellee Stewart). Eight episodes have been ordered for the third season.
The Big Bang Theory, which is TV's most-watched comedy and the top-rated broadcast entertainment show among adults 18-49, has been renewed for an additional three years, extending it through the 2016-2017 season. Also, CBS announced pick-ups for 17 other series for next season. Combined with its previously announced pick-ups, CBS has now renewed 20 returning series for the 2014-2015 season, encompassing 17 hours of primetime programming. The 18 series renewed comprise 15.5 hours of CBS's weekly primetime schedule and include nine dramas, five comedies, two reality series and two news programs. The nine dramas picked up are: NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, Person of Interest, CSI, Hawaii Five-0, Blue Bloods, Criminal Minds, Elementary and The Good Wife. The other renewed comedies in addition to The Big Bang Theory are 2 Broke Girls, The Millers, Mike & Molly, Mom and Two and a Half Men. In alternative programming, the Network announced pick-ups for its Emmy Award-winning reality series The Amazing Race and Undercover Boss, joining the previously announced renewal of Survivor for two more editions in 2014-15. Finally, in news, CBS will return 60 Minutes and 48 Hours Mystery. There are other series that still could be picked-up for next season, like The Crazy Ones, but no word yet and we probably won't know until the upfront in May. Stay tuned!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, March 25
Henry Danger - "Gas or Fail" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Captain Man finds himself trapped underground, Henry must devise a way to sneak out of his school's standardized testing to save Ray.
Game Shakers - "Llama Llama Spit Spit" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After the Game Shakers get kicked out of Fooders to make room for a guest who has his photo on the wall, Babe becomes determined to get their own photo up using any means necessary.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "To Be Invited or Not to Be" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
The quads make a new friend, an amazing inventor, but when not all of them get invited back to hang out again, they start to wonder why.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Better Late Than Never" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
A missed call leaves Danny and his family in a bad place.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Make Up or Make Out" (OWN, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Still upset with his friends, Danny takes the advice of his family.
Sunday, March 26
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Catch Sanaa on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Richard Dreyfuss (Your Family or Mine) - Richard appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) and Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) - Lily and Jane are guests on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. They also chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Rachel Dratch (Imaginary Mary) - Rachel is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Pete Holmes (Crashing) - Pete stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi appears on a repeat of Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mark Consuelos (Alpha House/Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tahj Mowry, Derek Theler and Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Baby Daddy) - Tahj, Derek and Jean-Luc are guests on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Vanessa Bell Calloway (Rhythm & Blues) - Vanessa is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- June Diane Raphael (Grace and Frankie) - June talks about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben talk TV Land's Nobodies on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brookyln stops by People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia opens up about her favorite part of being in the 50 Shades movies on People Now at 8:30am. \
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee dishes about her Golden Globe win on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.