Monday, March 17, 2014
Cedric's The Soul Man LIVE Premiere to Be Simulcast on 3 Networks; CBS Renews Big Bang Theory for 3 More Seasons, Plus 17 Other Series Renewed
Viacom networks TV Land, BET and CENTRIC have announced that they will simulcast the LIVE season three premiere of TV Land's original sitcom The Soul Man on Wednesday, March 26 at 10:30pm ET/PT. CENTRIC will also showcase the series beginning in April by running marathons of the first two seasons. Additionally, starting April 5, CENTRIC will air the new third season every Saturday at a special time of 10pm, 10 days after the episode debuts on TV Land. All subsequent episodes will air Saturdays at 9pm. The LIVE season premiere of The Soul Man will air on all three networks immediately following the LIVE season premiere of Hot in Cleveland, airing on TV Land at 10pm ET/PT. Fans can live tweet along with all three networks using the hashtag #SOULMANLive.
The Soul Man stars Cedric "The Entertainer" and Niecy Nash and follows R&B superstar-turned-minister Reverend Boyce "The Voice" Ballentine (Cedric) after he relocated from Las Vegas to St. Louis with his wife Lolli (Nash). While learning to adjust to their new humble life, they have plenty of obstacles in their way. One of these is Boyce's brother Stamps (Wesley Jonathan), who seems to have taken up permanent residence in their house - and that's only made worse when Stamps sparks a new relationship with Lolli's sister (Kellee Stewart). Eight episodes have been ordered for the third season.
The Big Bang Theory, which is TV's most-watched comedy and the top-rated broadcast entertainment show among adults 18-49, has been renewed for an additional three years, extending it through the 2016-2017 season. Also, CBS announced pick-ups for 17 other series for next season. Combined with its previously announced pick-ups, CBS has now renewed 20 returning series for the 2014-2015 season, encompassing 17 hours of primetime programming. The 18 series renewed comprise 15.5 hours of CBS's weekly primetime schedule and include nine dramas, five comedies, two reality series and two news programs. The nine dramas picked up are: NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, Person of Interest, CSI, Hawaii Five-0, Blue Bloods, Criminal Minds, Elementary and The Good Wife. The other renewed comedies in addition to The Big Bang Theory are 2 Broke Girls, The Millers, Mike & Molly, Mom and Two and a Half Men. In alternative programming, the Network announced pick-ups for its Emmy Award-winning reality series The Amazing Race and Undercover Boss, joining the previously announced renewal of Survivor for two more editions in 2014-15. Finally, in news, CBS will return 60 Minutes and 48 Hours Mystery. There are other series that still could be picked-up for next season, like The Crazy Ones, but no word yet and we probably won't know until the upfront in May. Stay tuned!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, September 29
Superstore - "Back to Work" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Jeff (recurring guest star Michael Bunin), the district manager from corporate, tells the Cloud 9 employees he is going to be around for the day to see what can improve in the store. Amy (America Ferrera) tries to impress him with a perfect day, but a workplace accident threatens her plan. Meanwhile, Glenn (Mark McKinney) tries to come off as a tough boss in front of Jeff, Jonah (Ben Feldman) attempts to help an unyielding Dina (Lauren Ash) win over the employees she betrayed in the strike and Mateo (Nico Santos) discovers something about Jeff in his pursuit to win him over.
The Good Place - "Jason Mendoza" (NBC, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Eleanor (Kristen Bell) faces her toughest test yet in her attempt to remain in hiding. Meanwhile, Michael (Ted Danson) enlists Tahani (Jameela Jamil) to help a fellow neighbor fulfill her true purpose.
The Big Bang Theory - "The Earworm Reverberation" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Sheldon has a revelation when he realizes why a song was stuck in his head. Also, Amy invites Dave (Stephen Merchant) over for dinner despite their previously awkward date, and Wolowitz and Koothrappali become obsessed with a fan of their band, “Footprints on the Moon.”
Kevin Can Wait - "Pilot" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Kevin James stars as a newly retired police officer looking forward to spending carefree, quality time with his wife and three kids, only to find he faces tougher challenges at home than he ever did on the streets.
Better Things - "Woman Is the Something of the Something" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Sam gets really looked at.
Thursday, September 29
- Judith Light (Transparent/Phenom/Who's the Boss?) - Catch Judith on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Tim Meadows (Son of Zorn/Marry Me/The Michael Richards Show) - Tim appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 3pm.
- Max Greenfield (New Girl/Modern Men) - Max drops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community), Dave Foley (Dr. Ken/NewsRadio) and Suzy Nakamura (Dr. Ken/Go On) - Ken, Dave and Suzy are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight. Ken will also be on Harry, so check your local listings.
- January Jones (The Last Man on Earth) - January stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Sarah Jessica Parker (Divorce/Sex and the City/Square Pegs) - Sarah appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Holland Taylor (Two and a Half Men/The Powers That Be) - Holland talks about The Front Page on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Jamie-Lynn Sigler (Guys with Kids) - Jamie-Lynn is a guest on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am and on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.