Saturday, January 25, 2014
SitcomsOnline Digest: Disney Shows Confidence in Boy Meets World Spinoff; Bill Cosby to Return to NBC?
- Cable series often tend to operate at a different pace than broadcast series, but Disney is showing plenty of confidence with their upcoming series Girl Meets World, a spinoff of the much beloved sitcom Boy Meets World. This week, it was announced that the series would be given a full season order of 21 episodes. (Seattle Post Intelligencer)
- It looks like Bill Cosby's hopes of returning to TV in a sitcom are rising a bit, and it could happen at a place that he previously called home: NBC. Could such a series revive sitcoms for NBC,? (Deadline)
- Speaking of NBC, it looks as if they'll likely be renewing the ratings challenged (but much loved by fans and critics) sitcom Parks and Recreation for a seventh season. Will another season Community be next? (Deadline)
- With Seth Meyers set to leave Saturday Night Live to take over at Late Night, the Weekend Update segment is getting a new co-anchor to join Cecily Strong. This week, it was announced that head writer Colin Jost will take this role. (Entertainment Weekly)
- Adult Swim aired another (supposedly the final) installment of The Greatest Event in Television History this week, where they did a shot-for-shot re-creation of the opening credits of yet another classic TV series. The choice this time was the sitcom Bosom Buddies, and it is worth checking out. (Time)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- It has been a long time since we've heard from Sam Nelson (grandson of Ozzie and Harriet Nelson, by the way) about his project to restore The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet in order to release it on DVD, so long that we were concerned that he may have abandoned his Kickstarter project. Yesterday, he posted an update (it is only available to those who have supported the project on Kickstarter, but you can read it all here) where he indicates that he is indeed working with the UCLA Film and Television Archive to restore the series to its original glory. He says that it may not be possible to bring all episodes back to their original form due to some issues over the years, but the goal is still to bring the series to DVD in the best way possible... we're very hopeful!
- For the few fans of the series who don't already own the complete series on either DVD or Blu-ray, RLJ Entertainment is bringing a smaller set of The Dick Van Dyke Show to DVD, with some of Mary Tyler Moore's best episodes, in The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Mary Tyler Moore Episodes. The set will contain 20 episodes at a $24.98 MSRP, to be released on April 1.
RECENT HOME MEDIA REVIEWS ON SITCOMSONLINE
- Married with Children - Seasons One and Two (Mill Creek): The Bundys return to DVD in this three disc re-release from Mill Creek.
- Newhart - The Complete Second Season: Shout! Factory finally brings fans more of this great series to DVD, although there are a few video quality issues and some syndication edits in the set.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, September 29
Superstore - "Back to Work" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Jeff (recurring guest star Michael Bunin), the district manager from corporate, tells the Cloud 9 employees he is going to be around for the day to see what can improve in the store. Amy (America Ferrera) tries to impress him with a perfect day, but a workplace accident threatens her plan. Meanwhile, Glenn (Mark McKinney) tries to come off as a tough boss in front of Jeff, Jonah (Ben Feldman) attempts to help an unyielding Dina (Lauren Ash) win over the employees she betrayed in the strike and Mateo (Nico Santos) discovers something about Jeff in his pursuit to win him over.
The Good Place - "Jason Mendoza" (NBC, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Eleanor (Kristen Bell) faces her toughest test yet in her attempt to remain in hiding. Meanwhile, Michael (Ted Danson) enlists Tahani (Jameela Jamil) to help a fellow neighbor fulfill her true purpose.
The Big Bang Theory - "The Earworm Reverberation" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Sheldon has a revelation when he realizes why a song was stuck in his head. Also, Amy invites Dave (Stephen Merchant) over for dinner despite their previously awkward date, and Wolowitz and Koothrappali become obsessed with a fan of their band, “Footprints on the Moon.”
Kevin Can Wait - "Pilot" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Kevin James stars as a newly retired police officer looking forward to spending carefree, quality time with his wife and three kids, only to find he faces tougher challenges at home than he ever did on the streets.
Better Things - "Woman Is the Something of the Something" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Sam gets really looked at.
Thursday, September 29
- Judith Light (Transparent/Phenom/Who's the Boss?) - Catch Judith on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Tim Meadows (Son of Zorn/Marry Me/The Michael Richards Show) - Tim appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 3pm.
- Max Greenfield (New Girl/Modern Men) - Max drops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community), Dave Foley (Dr. Ken/NewsRadio) and Suzy Nakamura (Dr. Ken/Go On) - Ken, Dave and Suzy are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight. Ken will also be on Harry, so check your local listings.
- January Jones (The Last Man on Earth) - January stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Sarah Jessica Parker (Divorce/Sex and the City/Square Pegs) - Sarah appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Holland Taylor (Two and a Half Men/The Powers That Be) - Holland talks about The Front Page on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Jamie-Lynn Sigler (Guys with Kids) - Jamie-Lynn is a guest on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am and on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.