Thursday, August 22, 2013
2013 Network Fall Preview Specials; OWN Orders More Love Thy Neighbor, Schedules For Better or Worse
First up we will look at ABC. ABC's Fall 2013 preview special is titled ABC Fall Preview Special Presented by The Chew. Once again ABC will air two versions -- one in primetime and one for local ABC affiliates. The primetime version will be one-hour and air on Sunday, Sept. 1 at 7pm ET. The special showcases the new fall Primetime lineup, including the brand new Tuesday line-up of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., The Goldbergs, Trophy Wife and Lucky 7. The special will also feature the other new fall series Back in the Game, Super Fun Night, Betrayal and Once Upon a Time in Wonderland. The preview show will be hosted by The Chew's entertaining and style expert Clinton Kelly from Walt Disney Studios in California. Celebrity chefs Mario Batali, Michael Symon, and Carla Hall, along with wellness enthusiast Daphne Oz will each feature a new series. A half-hour version will be airing on ABC Affiliates beginning Sept. 14, so check your local listings (WABC in NYC hasn't scheduled it yet). The primetime version will be reaired on ABC on Monday, Sept. 2 at 1pm ET/12pm PT and on Sunday, Sept. 22 at 3:30pm ET/3pm PT. The special also airs on ABC-owned cable networks as well, as ABC Family will air it on Monday, Sept. 16 at 11:59pm. And as of now, it isn't on abc.com but it is still early.
Next is CBS. The CBS Fall 2013 preview special, simply titled CBS Fall Preview Sneak Peek will be a primetime special previewing CBS's new fall lineup on Thursday, Sept. 12 from 8:30-9:00 PM, ET/PT nationally on the CBS Television Network following an encore of The Big Bang Theory and leading into the final Thursday broadcast of Big Brother. The preview will feature sneak peeks of the five new additions to CBS's primetime schedule this fall: the drama series Hostages, and the comedy series Mom, The Crazy Ones, The Millers and We Are Men. CBS.com doesn't usually post the preview, so you'll have to watch it on-air or if you miss that, your local CBS might air it on a weekend in the daytime -- but that is not confirmed.
Moving on to NBC, the NBC Fall 2013 preview special (titled once again The NBC Primetime Preview Show) will start airing on their cable owned networks & local NBC affiliates (such as USA, Syfy, Bravo, UniHD, Chiller, mun2, MSNBC, CNBC, Oxygen, Sleuth, Xfinity, E! Entertainment Television, mun2, NBC2Go, on-demand and broadband) as of Aug. 24 and will continue to run through Oct. 6 (in NYC it is on next on WNBC Sat Sept. 1 at 7pm). The preview also will be made available to NBC affiliates and the network's owned television stations websites. In addition, American Airlines will feature the show in its in-flight programming. The special will be hosted by Sean Hayes and the cast of NBC's new comedy Sean Saves the World. The entertainment special will focus on NBC's new shows for the fall, including the dramas The Blacklist, Ironside and Dracula, along with the new comedies Welcome to the Family, The Michael J. Fox Show and Sean Saves the World.
Onto Fox, the Fox Fall 2013 preview special starts airing on local Fox affiliates soon on weekends and is simply titled Fox Fall Preview Special. It will only run on local Fox affiliates again and not on Fox in primetime. No information is available as of this writing on who is hosting and what the special features, but it will of course feature their new programs: Dads, Sleepy Hollow, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Enlisted, Almost Human, and MasterChef Junior. No idea yet also if it will be on fox.com, but check your local Fox listings for on-air showtimes.
And finally we conclude with The CW. The CW's Fall 2013 TV preview special is called The CW Fall First Look is airing on local CW affiliates as of last weekend (such as NY's WPIX on Sun. Sept 8 at 12:30am and Saturday, Sept. 14 at 3:30pm)! No word if it will also air nationally on The CW, but it didn't last year. Series featured will be Reign, The Tomorrow People, and The Originals. The affiliate special is a half-hour. No word yet on if you can watch the affiliate special online yet.
OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network announced that it has ordered an additional 26 episodes of the network's popular comedy from Tyler Perry Love Thy Neighbor (Wednesdays at 9 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.) bringing the total season order to 52 episodes. The current cycle will had its two-episode finale last night, with the new episodes premiering in January 2014. As previously announced, Tyler Perry's sitcom For Better or Worse will take over the timeslot beginning Wednesday, September 18 with two back-to-back half hour episodes at 9 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. For Better or Worse moves to OWN with all new episodes for season three. It previously aired on TBS in originals. Back to Love Thy Neighbor, it is set at a family-run diner, where feisty matriarch Hattie Mae Love (Patrice Lovely) has her hands full not only managing her customers but also her family drama. Since its debut on May 29, the series is averaging over 1 million total viewers, a 0.88 W25-54 rating and is Wednesday night's #1 original series on all of television for African American viewers.
In addition, the network has ordered an additional four episodes of the Tyler Perry drama The Haves and the Have Nots on top of the 16 additional episodes ordered in June. This brings the total order for The Haves and the Have Nots to 36 episodes for its first season. The series continues to break ratings records each week with its most recent broadcast on Tuesday, August 20 scoring its highest rated episode to-date in the network's key demo of women 25-54 (1.76 rating). Back to Tyler Perry's popular sitcom For Better or Worse, the series follows three couples as they navigate the ups-and-downs of dating and marriage. It makes its OWN debut with the premiere of its third season on Wednesday, September 18 at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT (two back-to-back half-hour episodes). In the season premiere, Leslie Norris (Crystle Stewart, Miss USA 2008), rushes to the hospital on her wedding day after finding out Joseph Jetson (Jason Olive, Raising Helen) has been in a serious accident, leaving her pending nuptials to fiancé Chris (Eddie Cibrian, CSI: Miami) in question.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, March 25
Henry Danger - "Gas or Fail" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Captain Man finds himself trapped underground, Henry must devise a way to sneak out of his school's standardized testing to save Ray.
Game Shakers - "Llama Llama Spit Spit" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After the Game Shakers get kicked out of Fooders to make room for a guest who has his photo on the wall, Babe becomes determined to get their own photo up using any means necessary.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "To Be Invited or Not to Be" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
The quads make a new friend, an amazing inventor, but when not all of them get invited back to hang out again, they start to wonder why.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Better Late Than Never" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
A missed call leaves Danny and his family in a bad place.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Make Up or Make Out" (OWN, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Still upset with his friends, Danny takes the advice of his family.
Sunday, March 26
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Catch Sanaa on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Richard Dreyfuss (Your Family or Mine) - Richard appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) and Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) - Lily and Jane are guests on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. They also chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Rachel Dratch (Imaginary Mary) - Rachel is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Pete Holmes (Crashing) - Pete stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi appears on a repeat of Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mark Consuelos (Alpha House/Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tahj Mowry, Derek Theler and Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Baby Daddy) - Tahj, Derek and Jean-Luc are guests on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Vanessa Bell Calloway (Rhythm & Blues) - Vanessa is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- June Diane Raphael (Grace and Frankie) - June talks about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben talk TV Land's Nobodies on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brookyln stops by People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia opens up about her favorite part of being in the 50 Shades movies on People Now at 8:30am. \
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee dishes about her Golden Globe win on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.