Tuesday, July 30, 2013
We continue our look at the fall 2013 cable and digital TV schedules today with USA Network. Of course their big acquisition is Modern Family, but they also have NCIS: LA coming as more than just repurpose plays. We of course announced both sometime back (Modern Family back in 2010 and NCIS: LA back in 2010). At the 2013 USA Network upfront, the premiere date and time was announced for Modern Family reruns on USA (Sept. 24 8|7c), but we have the complete information now. It will actually launch on Sunday, Sept. 22 from 8-11pm with a mini-marathon. Modern Family will air regularly back-to-back in primetime during the 8pm hour every Tuesday-Friday, with the Tuesday episodes extended through full primetime until 11pm and Friday episodes extended to 10pm. On Sundays, Modern Family will air in a block from 9-11pm. To get ready for Modern Family on USA, the network will air "Modern Family" NCIS and Law & Order: SVU marathons on Saturday, Sept. 7 and Sunday, Sept. 8. On Sunday, Sept. 29 from 4-9pm, Law & Order: SVU episodes featuring guest appearances by Modern Family stars like Julie Bowen, Ty Burrell & Sarah Hyland, will lead into the regular Sunday stack of Modern Family. And just like The Middle ABC Family update yesterday, Modern Family will also premiere on local broadcast syndication this fall. It will premiere Sept. 23, so check your local listings (in NYC it will be on WNYW). On to NCIS: Los Angeles, the regular plays begin the week of Sept. 23 and it will air regularly Mondays, Wednesdays-Fridays at 5pm & 7pm, along with a block on Wednesdays in primetime from 9pm-11pm and on Thursdays at 11pm. There will also be plenty of "launch marathons" for the series on Monday, Sept. 23 from 6am-8pm and then 11:05pm-2:05am following WWE Raw. There will also be marathons on Wednesday, Sept. 25 from 6am-6pm & 9pm-4am and also on Saturday, Sept. 28 from 9am-2am. Other series USA Network airs includes Law & Order: SVU, NCIS, House and filler airings of Cheers. After Sept. 20 there is no sign of Law & Order: Criminal Intent on the schedule, but that could return in October. Like ABC Family's fall schedule, the original primetime series will all be over before the new reruns start. Burn Notice will have its series finale on Thursday, Sept. 12 at 9pm leading into the season finale of Graceland at 10pm. Royal Pains will have its season ender on Wednesday, Sept. 11 at 9pm. And finally, the Tuesday series will have their mid-season finales on Tuesday, Sept. 17 with Covert Affairs at 9 and Suits at 10. The back 6 episodes will return in fourth quarter (Covert Affairs) and January (Suits), but the dates and times are not announced yet. And finally, movie wise, the network television premiere of Bridesmaids (2011) will be on USA Network. The film starring Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Rebel Wilson and Melissa McCarthy will premiere on Friday, Sept. 20 and Saturday, Sept. 21 at 8pm and Sunday, Sept. 22 at 5:30pm leading into the Modern Family marathon. Discuss the USA Network Fall 2013 schedule on our message board. The TCA Summer 2013 press tour continues and CBS was up yesterday, so we will give you a recap of their announcements. First up, CBS will launch its premiere Thursday now with a one hour episode of The Big Bang Theory on Sept. 26 from 8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT. The back-to-back original episodes will lead into the series premiere of The Crazy Ones starring Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Gellar. As a result, CBS's new comedy The Millers will now premiere a week later on Thursday, Oct. 3 at 8:30PM ET/PT. Meanwhile, new drama Under the Dome, which is television's #1 summer series in viewers and key demographics, will return in summer 2014 with 13 all-new episodes for its second season. Stephen King, whose bestselling novel is the basis for the series, will write the premiere episode of the second season. There were show panels with the casts and producers of the following series: The Millers, Hostages, We Are Men, The Crazy Ones, upcoming syndicated entry The Arsenio Hall Show, The Good Wife, Mom and the 65th Primetime Emmy Awards. Right before the Hostages panel, there was a research briefing. What qualifies as a programming success in today's digital world? What are the multi-platform trends you need to be aware of? The CBS researcher quantified how non-linear viewing via DVR, Video-on-Demand and online streaming - adds to a show's total audience. Also shared was research on social media's relationship with television, what aging boomers mean to the 18-49 demographic and other audience trends. The CW will continue the broadcast portion today, so come on back for a recap tomorrow on the blog for any notable highlights. We got a notice of some premiere date changes along with some other information, so we will highlight all that for you tomorrow. Come on back!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, February 22
The Goldbergs - "So Swayze It's Crazy" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
After Adam sees his friend on television, he asks Beverly for her help to become an actor, so Beverly enlists his friend’s mom Edie, who is a kid talent agent in town. Unfortunately, Edie insists Adam can only get “nerd” roles, so Beverly goes on a quest to make Adam a teenage heartthrob. Meanwhile, Barry decides to embrace the punk lifestyle, and Murray attempts to become more involved in Erica’s life, but it backfires.
Speechless - "O-S-- OSCAR P-A-- PARTY" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When the Dimeos throw their annual Oscar party with other special-needs families, Maya feels threatened by new mom Becca, who seems a little too perfect. Meanwhile, Jimmy encourages the fathers at the party to let loose while Ray tries to impress a girl by pretending to be someone he is not.
Modern Family - "Heavy Is the Head" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Despite their lofty hopes, Phil and Jay’s property investment might turn out to be a bust, forcing Phil to rethink his original dream. Meanwhile, Cam lands in the hospital due to a head injury and refuses to have an MRI thanks to a traumatic incident with a well when he was a child. Determined to finally impress Claire and keep her from re-gifting her birthday present, Gloria surprises her with a day of luxury at the office. However, after Claire had to implement some rather harsh budget cuts at work, a massage at her desk may not be sending the right message.
black-ish - "One Angry Man" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Dre is forced to participate in jury duty after Junior responds to the summons that was thrown away. The case is supposed to be open and shut, but when Dre sees that the defendant is a young African American, he feels a civic responsibility to give him a fair trial. Meanwhile, Bow decides to let the kids swear in the house since they are more open with her that way, but she and Ruby soon regret the decision.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - "The Gang Tends Bar" (FXX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
It's Valentine's Day and Paddy's is packed with customers. Dennis implores the gang to do one day of actual work but everyone else is distracted by a mystery crate Cricket spotted in the alley. Eventually, the gang becomes convinced Dennis really wants them to work on their relationships and everyone shares their grievances without much resolution.
Man Seeking Woman - "Dolphin" (FXX, 10:30PM ET/PT)
When her mom becomes obsessed with Josh's wedding, Liz seeks out her estranged father (Peter Gallagher).
Schitt's Creek - "General Store" (Pop, 8:00PM ET/PT)
David comes up with a new business venture; Alexis adjusts to her first day of school.
Wednesday, February 22
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and George Clooney (The Facts of Life/Roseanne) - Tom and George are guests on a repeat of the 2012 Jimmy Kimmel Live: After the Oscars special at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Ariana Grande (Sam & Cat) - Ariana drops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Kelly Ripa (Hope & Faith) - Kelly is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly)- Billy appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Terry stops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also talks about Ultimate Beastmaster on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 2pm.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Matt Shively (The Real O'Neals/True Jackson, VP) - Matt is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Justin Bartha (The New Normal) - Justin joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth/The Cleveland Show) - Will talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. He will also be on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.
- Rosie Perez (Search Party) - Rosie is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Allison Williams (Girls) - Allison appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (The Odd Couple/Community) - Yvette dishes about the new season of SuperMansion on Crackle on The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Mike Epps (Uncle Buck/Survivor's Remorse) - Mike is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Eva Longoria (Telenovela) - Eva chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Mark Consuelos (Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.