Tuesday, July 30, 2013
We continue our look at the fall 2013 cable and digital TV schedules today with USA Network. Of course their big acquisition is Modern Family, but they also have NCIS: LA coming as more than just repurpose plays. We of course announced both sometime back (Modern Family back in 2010 and NCIS: LA back in 2010). At the 2013 USA Network upfront, the premiere date and time was announced for Modern Family reruns on USA (Sept. 24 8|7c), but we have the complete information now. It will actually launch on Sunday, Sept. 22 from 8-11pm with a mini-marathon. Modern Family will air regularly back-to-back in primetime during the 8pm hour every Tuesday-Friday, with the Tuesday episodes extended through full primetime until 11pm and Friday episodes extended to 10pm. On Sundays, Modern Family will air in a block from 9-11pm. To get ready for Modern Family on USA, the network will air "Modern Family" NCIS and Law & Order: SVU marathons on Saturday, Sept. 7 and Sunday, Sept. 8. On Sunday, Sept. 29 from 4-9pm, Law & Order: SVU episodes featuring guest appearances by Modern Family stars like Julie Bowen, Ty Burrell & Sarah Hyland, will lead into the regular Sunday stack of Modern Family. And just like The Middle ABC Family update yesterday, Modern Family will also premiere on local broadcast syndication this fall. It will premiere Sept. 23, so check your local listings (in NYC it will be on WNYW). On to NCIS: Los Angeles, the regular plays begin the week of Sept. 23 and it will air regularly Mondays, Wednesdays-Fridays at 5pm & 7pm, along with a block on Wednesdays in primetime from 9pm-11pm and on Thursdays at 11pm. There will also be plenty of "launch marathons" for the series on Monday, Sept. 23 from 6am-8pm and then 11:05pm-2:05am following WWE Raw. There will also be marathons on Wednesday, Sept. 25 from 6am-6pm & 9pm-4am and also on Saturday, Sept. 28 from 9am-2am. Other series USA Network airs includes Law & Order: SVU, NCIS, House and filler airings of Cheers. After Sept. 20 there is no sign of Law & Order: Criminal Intent on the schedule, but that could return in October. Like ABC Family's fall schedule, the original primetime series will all be over before the new reruns start. Burn Notice will have its series finale on Thursday, Sept. 12 at 9pm leading into the season finale of Graceland at 10pm. Royal Pains will have its season ender on Wednesday, Sept. 11 at 9pm. And finally, the Tuesday series will have their mid-season finales on Tuesday, Sept. 17 with Covert Affairs at 9 and Suits at 10. The back 6 episodes will return in fourth quarter (Covert Affairs) and January (Suits), but the dates and times are not announced yet. And finally, movie wise, the network television premiere of Bridesmaids (2011) will be on USA Network. The film starring Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Rebel Wilson and Melissa McCarthy will premiere on Friday, Sept. 20 and Saturday, Sept. 21 at 8pm and Sunday, Sept. 22 at 5:30pm leading into the Modern Family marathon. Discuss the USA Network Fall 2013 schedule on our message board. The TCA Summer 2013 press tour continues and CBS was up yesterday, so we will give you a recap of their announcements. First up, CBS will launch its premiere Thursday now with a one hour episode of The Big Bang Theory on Sept. 26 from 8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT. The back-to-back original episodes will lead into the series premiere of The Crazy Ones starring Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Gellar. As a result, CBS's new comedy The Millers will now premiere a week later on Thursday, Oct. 3 at 8:30PM ET/PT. Meanwhile, new drama Under the Dome, which is television's #1 summer series in viewers and key demographics, will return in summer 2014 with 13 all-new episodes for its second season. Stephen King, whose bestselling novel is the basis for the series, will write the premiere episode of the second season. There were show panels with the casts and producers of the following series: The Millers, Hostages, We Are Men, The Crazy Ones, upcoming syndicated entry The Arsenio Hall Show, The Good Wife, Mom and the 65th Primetime Emmy Awards. Right before the Hostages panel, there was a research briefing. What qualifies as a programming success in today's digital world? What are the multi-platform trends you need to be aware of? The CBS researcher quantified how non-linear viewing via DVR, Video-on-Demand and online streaming - adds to a show's total audience. Also shared was research on social media's relationship with television, what aging boomers mean to the 18-49 demographic and other audience trends. The CW will continue the broadcast portion today, so come on back for a recap tomorrow on the blog for any notable highlights. We got a notice of some premiere date changes along with some other information, so we will highlight all that for you tomorrow. Come on back!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, March 23
Superstore - "Mateo's Last Day" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Mateo (Nico Santos) faces complications with his transfer to a Cloud 9 Signature store, he becomes desperate to resolve his undocumented status. Meanwhile, Amy (America Ferrera) helps Glenn (Mark McKinney) battle an Internet troll, Jonah (Ben Feldman) and Cheyenne (Nichole Bloom) try to give Mateo legal counsel, and Dina (Lauren Ash) and Garrett (Colton Dunn) take issue with corporate.
Powerless - "I'm a Friend You" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Emily (Vanessa Hudgens) learns that Jackie (Christina Kirk) is in need of some extra cash, she can't help but try and do what she can to help her out. Meanwhile, Van (Alan Tudyk) is on a witch hunt and has his eyes set on Teddy (Danny Pudi), Ron (Ron Funches) and Wendy (Jennie Pierson).
Baskets - "Circus" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Christine turns to Arby's after Chip joins the Russians.
Thursday, March 23
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds/Lost at Home) - Connie is a guest on a repeat of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Stephanie Beatriz (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) - Stephanie is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt visits LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. He will also be on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Zosia Mamet (Girls) - Zosia is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Nick D'Agosto (Trial & Error) - Nick is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Emma Roberts (Scream Queens/Unfabulous) - Emma talks about The Blackcoat's Daughter on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Woody Harrelson (Cheers) - Woody talks about Wilson on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Woody and Laura Dern will be on People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.