Tuesday, July 30, 2013
We continue our look at the fall 2013 cable and digital TV schedules today with USA Network. Of course their big acquisition is Modern Family, but they also have NCIS: LA coming as more than just repurpose plays. We of course announced both sometime back (Modern Family back in 2010 and NCIS: LA back in 2010). At the 2013 USA Network upfront, the premiere date and time was announced for Modern Family reruns on USA (Sept. 24 8|7c), but we have the complete information now. It will actually launch on Sunday, Sept. 22 from 8-11pm with a mini-marathon. Modern Family will air regularly back-to-back in primetime during the 8pm hour every Tuesday-Friday, with the Tuesday episodes extended through full primetime until 11pm and Friday episodes extended to 10pm. On Sundays, Modern Family will air in a block from 9-11pm. To get ready for Modern Family on USA, the network will air "Modern Family" NCIS and Law & Order: SVU marathons on Saturday, Sept. 7 and Sunday, Sept. 8. On Sunday, Sept. 29 from 4-9pm, Law & Order: SVU episodes featuring guest appearances by Modern Family stars like Julie Bowen, Ty Burrell & Sarah Hyland, will lead into the regular Sunday stack of Modern Family. And just like The Middle ABC Family update yesterday, Modern Family will also premiere on local broadcast syndication this fall. It will premiere Sept. 23, so check your local listings (in NYC it will be on WNYW). On to NCIS: Los Angeles, the regular plays begin the week of Sept. 23 and it will air regularly Mondays, Wednesdays-Fridays at 5pm & 7pm, along with a block on Wednesdays in primetime from 9pm-11pm and on Thursdays at 11pm. There will also be plenty of "launch marathons" for the series on Monday, Sept. 23 from 6am-8pm and then 11:05pm-2:05am following WWE Raw. There will also be marathons on Wednesday, Sept. 25 from 6am-6pm & 9pm-4am and also on Saturday, Sept. 28 from 9am-2am. Other series USA Network airs includes Law & Order: SVU, NCIS, House and filler airings of Cheers. After Sept. 20 there is no sign of Law & Order: Criminal Intent on the schedule, but that could return in October. Like ABC Family's fall schedule, the original primetime series will all be over before the new reruns start. Burn Notice will have its series finale on Thursday, Sept. 12 at 9pm leading into the season finale of Graceland at 10pm. Royal Pains will have its season ender on Wednesday, Sept. 11 at 9pm. And finally, the Tuesday series will have their mid-season finales on Tuesday, Sept. 17 with Covert Affairs at 9 and Suits at 10. The back 6 episodes will return in fourth quarter (Covert Affairs) and January (Suits), but the dates and times are not announced yet. And finally, movie wise, the network television premiere of Bridesmaids (2011) will be on USA Network. The film starring Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Rebel Wilson and Melissa McCarthy will premiere on Friday, Sept. 20 and Saturday, Sept. 21 at 8pm and Sunday, Sept. 22 at 5:30pm leading into the Modern Family marathon. Discuss the USA Network Fall 2013 schedule on our message board. The TCA Summer 2013 press tour continues and CBS was up yesterday, so we will give you a recap of their announcements. First up, CBS will launch its premiere Thursday now with a one hour episode of The Big Bang Theory on Sept. 26 from 8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT. The back-to-back original episodes will lead into the series premiere of The Crazy Ones starring Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Gellar. As a result, CBS's new comedy The Millers will now premiere a week later on Thursday, Oct. 3 at 8:30PM ET/PT. Meanwhile, new drama Under the Dome, which is television's #1 summer series in viewers and key demographics, will return in summer 2014 with 13 all-new episodes for its second season. Stephen King, whose bestselling novel is the basis for the series, will write the premiere episode of the second season. There were show panels with the casts and producers of the following series: The Millers, Hostages, We Are Men, The Crazy Ones, upcoming syndicated entry The Arsenio Hall Show, The Good Wife, Mom and the 65th Primetime Emmy Awards. Right before the Hostages panel, there was a research briefing. What qualifies as a programming success in today's digital world? What are the multi-platform trends you need to be aware of? The CBS researcher quantified how non-linear viewing via DVR, Video-on-Demand and online streaming - adds to a show's total audience. Also shared was research on social media's relationship with television, what aging boomers mean to the 18-49 demographic and other audience trends. The CW will continue the broadcast portion today, so come on back for a recap tomorrow on the blog for any notable highlights. We got a notice of some premiere date changes along with some other information, so we will highlight all that for you tomorrow. Come on back!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (May)
05/03 - Mad About You - The Complete Series
05/03 - The Jim Gaffigan Show - Season One
05/10 - Newhart - The Complete Fifth Season
05/17 - Angie Tribeca - The Complete First Season
05/17 - The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season
05/24 - The Wonder Years - Season Five
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, May 28
Monday, May 30
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Watch Anthony on a repeat of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara (Schitt's Creek) - Eugene and Catherine are guests on a repeat of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Ariana Grande (Sam & Cat/Victorious) - Ariana is a musical guest on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds/Lost at Home) - Connie appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jason Sudeikis (The Last Man on Earth/The Cleveland Show) - Jason is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Riki Lindhome (Another Period/Super Fun Night) - Riki appears on a repeat of The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore at 11:30pm on Comedy Central.
- Tom Lennon (The Odd Couple/Sean Saves the World) - Tom is a guest on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Ron Funches (Undateable) - Ron appears on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Ray Romano (Everybody Loves Raymond) - Ray is a guest on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Jussie Smollett (On Our Own) - Jussie guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Zendaya (K.C. Undercover/Shake It Up) - Zendaya appears on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Strahan (Brothers) - Michael races against the clock in a celebrity guessing game on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.