Friday, May 17, 2013
USA Network Upfront 2013: First Comedies Ordered, Plus Modern Family Reruns; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of May 20, 2013)
We were on hand yesterday at the USA Network upfront and we have some sitcom news for USA Network! USA Network greenlit its first original half-hour comedies, with series orders for Sirens from Denis Leary (Rescue Me) and Bob Fisher (Wedding Crashers) and Playing House from Jessica St. Clair (Bridesmaids, In The Motherhood) and Lennon Parham (Best Friends Forever, Accidentally On Purpose). The network also picked up a new comedy pilot, Love Is Dead for consideration. The two new comedies will debut in the first quarter of 2014, and will be strong complements to off-network acquisition Modern Family, the award-winning and top-rated comedy, which premieres on USA Tuesday, September 24 at 8|7c. The announcement was made in conjunction with USA's Upfront (#USAupfront), which was held yesterday at Pier 36 in New York.
Single-camera comedy Sirens follows three of Chicago's best EMTs whose sometimes silly, self-righteous and even self-destructive personalities make them unqualified for sustaining relationships, friendships and most occupations. They are, however, uniquely qualified for saving anyone who winds up in their ambulance. Based on a UK format, Sirens stars Michael Mosley (Pan Am), Kevin Daniels (Modern Family), Jessica McNamee and Kevin Bigley. Leary and Fisher co-wrote the pilot and both executive produce the series. Filmed on location in Chicago, the series is from Apostle and Fox Television Studios, in conjunction with Daybreak Pictures.
Playing House is a single-camera buddy comedy about what happens when two best friends come back together, just when they need each other most. The original half-hour series is inspired by the ultra-close friendship between St. Clair and Parham. In Playing House, when mother to-be Maggie (Parham) asks her single and career-driven best friend Emma (St. Clair) to return home from her job overseas to attend her baby shower, she has no idea what's truly in store. Parham and St. Clair co-wrote the presentation and will executive produce the series. As for that comedy pilot, Love Is Dead (pilot order): This single-camera comedy is set at a unique company that specializes in breaking-up romantic relationships -- rationally, compassionately, thoroughly -- on behalf of those who are willing to pay to not be around when it happens. It's the unconventional romantic comedy that asks: "Why, if love is so fickle, do we keep coming back for more?" Stay with us for info on that if it gets picked-up to series. We'll have much more on Sirens and Playing House soon along with details on Modern Family's syndicated scheduled airtimes on USA Network.
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of May 20-24, 2013, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, May 20, 2013
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Watch Will on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Ed Helms (The Office) - Ed drops by Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC. He will also be on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Sarah Chalke (How to Live with Your Parents (for the Rest of Your Life)/Scrubs/Roseanne) - Sarah visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings. She also performs as She & Him.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (Community) - Yvette is a guest on The Jeff Probst Show, so check your local listings. She will also be on the series finale on Wednesday.
- Brooke Shields (Suddenly Susan) - Brooke guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Todd Bridges (Diff'rent Strokes) - Todd opens up about how he is now on a mission to change other kid's lives with the Todd Bridges Youth Foundation on Marie at 12pm on Hallmark Channel.
- Jason Bateman (Arrested Development/The Hogan Family/It's Your Move) - Catch Jason on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Eric Stonestreet (Modern Family) - Eric appears on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Aziz Ansari (Parks and Recreation) - Aziz drops by Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am.
- Ed Helms (The Office) - Ed continues to make the rounds on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- The Cast of Workaholics - The cast of the Comedy Central sitcom will be on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Jenny McCarthy (Two and a Half Men/Jenny) - Jenny chats on Katie, so check your local listings.
- Woody Harrelson (Cheers) - Woody chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Woody Harrelson (Cheers) - Watch Woody on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Jeff Foxworthy (The Jeff Foxworthy Show) - Jeff is a guest on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Alyssa Milano (Who's the Boss?) - Alyssa stops by Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC. Mistresses premieres on ABC on Monday, June 3 at 10/9c.
- Jennifer Aniston (Friends) - Jennifer appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Portia de Rossi (Arrested Development) - Portia visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (Community) - Yvette co-hosts The Chew on ABC at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Zach Braff (Scrubs) - Catch Zach on a repeat of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Gillian Jacobs (Community) - Gillian is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family/The Class) - Jesse stops by Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Ken Jeong (Community) - Ken visits LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Kevin Nealon (Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin stops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- David Alan Grier (Less Than Perfect/DAG) - David appears on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Jessica Walter (Arrested Development/Retired at 35) - Tune in to see Jessica on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Anne Heche (Save Me) - Anne will be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Steve Harvey (The Steve Harvey Show) - Watch Steve on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (Community) - Yvette co-hosts The Chew on ABC at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Valerie Harper (Rhoda/Valerie) - Valerie appears on a repeat of The Jeff Probst Show, so check your local listings.
- Melissa Joan Hart (Melissa & Joey/Sabrina, the Teenage Witch) - Melissa guest co-hosts a repeat of Anderson Live, so check your local listings.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, April 25
The Middle - "Trip and Fall" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Trashy neighbor Rita Glossner (Brooke Shields) talks an apprehensive Frankie into taking a road trip to an unknown destination; Mike takes an embarrassing fall at the quarry and has to deal with even more embarrassment when OSHA is called in to investigate; and Sue attempts to convince Axl to end his estrangement with the family after learning their true feelings about April.
American Housewife - "The Otto Motto" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Taylor keeps quitting school activities, Greg says that Katie, quite the quitter herself, sets a poor example. He challenges her to finally learn French after quitting lessons so long ago, so she reluctantly enrolls in a college class.
Speechless - "S-I-- SICK D-A-- DAY" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Maya gets sick, Jimmy is forced to be the mom of the house, and Dylan becomes Kenneth’s replacement for JJ when Kenneth also gets sick. Jimmy ends up doing well with Maya’s normal duties, but he tries to keep it from her to avoid her feeling bad. Meanwhile, JJ protects Dylan from a boy she’s interested in. And despite its illness, the family bands together and pulls an all-nighter to finish Ray’s school project.
Imaginary Mary - "In a World Where Worlds Collide" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Alice freaks out when her friends want to meet Ben. But when an outing with everyone goes surprisingly well, Alice wants to meet Ben’s friends. However, Ben is hesitant but devises a plan that will impress Alice; but later, he makes a surprising admission.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "The Last Ride" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
In what could be their last case as partners, Jake and Charles go to great extremes to apprehend a local bike thief. Terry shockingly isn’t in the lead for “Mr. Nine-Nine” (the detective who has solved the most cases), leaving Rosa determined to boost his ego. Meanwhile, Amy spends some precious time with Holt.
The Mick - "The Implant" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Sabrina tells Mickey she wants to augment her figure, so Mickey decides the best way to dissuade her from doing so is to do a test-run in public. Meanwhile, Jimmy takes Chip and Ben to a baseball game to teach them how to be more masculine.
Great News - "Pilot" (NBC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Katie (Briga Heelan), a frustrated cable news producer, is horrified when her mom, Carol (Andrea Martin), gets an internship at "The Breakdown." Despite Katie's best efforts, Carol is instantly beloved by the entire office, including blowhard veteran anchor Chuck (John Michael Higgins). But when Katie hits a roadblock while producing a big story, she realizes that maybe having a mom at work isn't such a bad thing.
Great News - "Bear Attack" (NBC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Katie (Briga Heelan) tries to set workplace boundaries with Carol (Andrea Martin), but when a big story about an escaped bear lands in her lap, her mom can't help but meddle. Meanwhile, Greg (Adam Campbell) tries to get Chuck (John Michael Higgins) and Portia (Nicole Richie) to do a little friendly banter at the end of the show.
The Detour - "The Mule" (TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Robin and Nate live out their action movie fantasies as they make their way to the kids, who are actually doing fine without them.
The Detour - "The Ass" (TBS, 10:30PM ET/PT)
The family reunites, but this time Robin makes a huge mistake.
Tuesday, April 25
- Amanda Peet (Brockmire/Togetherness/Bent) - Catch Amanda on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC. She also appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Patton Oswalt (The Goldbergs/The King of Queens) - Patton stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Kal Penn (We Are Men/How I Met Your Mother) - Kal is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Sanaa stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Reid Scott (Veep/My Boys) - Reid visits Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Arden Myrin (Working) - Arden appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Hank Azaria (Brockmire/The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Andrea Martin (Difficult People/Working the Engels) - Andrea visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Patti will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Andrea Martin (Great News/Difficult People/Working the Engels) - Andrea talks about Good News on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 10am hour.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Jason Jones (The Detour) - Jason talks about The Detour on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Ross Lynch (Austin & Ally) - Ross opens up about his new movie My Friend Dahmer on People Now at 8:30am.
- Tim Daly (Wings) - Tim is a guest on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Peter Engel (Producer of Saved by the Bell/California Dreams/Hang Time) - Peter dishes about his new memoir I Was Saved by the Bell on the The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Sherri Shepherd (Trial & Error/Less Than Perfect/Sherri) - Sherri is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Danny DeVito (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia/Taxi) - Danny appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.