Friday, May 17, 2013
USA Network Upfront 2013: First Comedies Ordered, Plus Modern Family Reruns; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of May 20, 2013)
We were on hand yesterday at the USA Network upfront and we have some sitcom news for USA Network! USA Network greenlit its first original half-hour comedies, with series orders for Sirens from Denis Leary (Rescue Me) and Bob Fisher (Wedding Crashers) and Playing House from Jessica St. Clair (Bridesmaids, In The Motherhood) and Lennon Parham (Best Friends Forever, Accidentally On Purpose). The network also picked up a new comedy pilot, Love Is Dead for consideration. The two new comedies will debut in the first quarter of 2014, and will be strong complements to off-network acquisition Modern Family, the award-winning and top-rated comedy, which premieres on USA Tuesday, September 24 at 8|7c. The announcement was made in conjunction with USA's Upfront (#USAupfront), which was held yesterday at Pier 36 in New York.
Single-camera comedy Sirens follows three of Chicago's best EMTs whose sometimes silly, self-righteous and even self-destructive personalities make them unqualified for sustaining relationships, friendships and most occupations. They are, however, uniquely qualified for saving anyone who winds up in their ambulance. Based on a UK format, Sirens stars Michael Mosley (Pan Am), Kevin Daniels (Modern Family), Jessica McNamee and Kevin Bigley. Leary and Fisher co-wrote the pilot and both executive produce the series. Filmed on location in Chicago, the series is from Apostle and Fox Television Studios, in conjunction with Daybreak Pictures.
Playing House is a single-camera buddy comedy about what happens when two best friends come back together, just when they need each other most. The original half-hour series is inspired by the ultra-close friendship between St. Clair and Parham. In Playing House, when mother to-be Maggie (Parham) asks her single and career-driven best friend Emma (St. Clair) to return home from her job overseas to attend her baby shower, she has no idea what's truly in store. Parham and St. Clair co-wrote the presentation and will executive produce the series. As for that comedy pilot, Love Is Dead (pilot order): This single-camera comedy is set at a unique company that specializes in breaking-up romantic relationships -- rationally, compassionately, thoroughly -- on behalf of those who are willing to pay to not be around when it happens. It's the unconventional romantic comedy that asks: "Why, if love is so fickle, do we keep coming back for more?" Stay with us for info on that if it gets picked-up to series. We'll have much more on Sirens and Playing House soon along with details on Modern Family's syndicated scheduled airtimes on USA Network.
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of May 20-24, 2013, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, May 20, 2013
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Watch Will on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Ed Helms (The Office) - Ed drops by Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC. He will also be on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Sarah Chalke (How to Live with Your Parents (for the Rest of Your Life)/Scrubs/Roseanne) - Sarah visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings. She also performs as She & Him.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (Community) - Yvette is a guest on The Jeff Probst Show, so check your local listings. She will also be on the series finale on Wednesday.
- Brooke Shields (Suddenly Susan) - Brooke guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Todd Bridges (Diff'rent Strokes) - Todd opens up about how he is now on a mission to change other kid's lives with the Todd Bridges Youth Foundation on Marie at 12pm on Hallmark Channel.
- Jason Bateman (Arrested Development/The Hogan Family/It's Your Move) - Catch Jason on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Eric Stonestreet (Modern Family) - Eric appears on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Aziz Ansari (Parks and Recreation) - Aziz drops by Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am.
- Ed Helms (The Office) - Ed continues to make the rounds on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- The Cast of Workaholics - The cast of the Comedy Central sitcom will be on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Jenny McCarthy (Two and a Half Men/Jenny) - Jenny chats on Katie, so check your local listings.
- Woody Harrelson (Cheers) - Woody chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Woody Harrelson (Cheers) - Watch Woody on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Jeff Foxworthy (The Jeff Foxworthy Show) - Jeff is a guest on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Alyssa Milano (Who's the Boss?) - Alyssa stops by Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC. Mistresses premieres on ABC on Monday, June 3 at 10/9c.
- Jennifer Aniston (Friends) - Jennifer appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Portia de Rossi (Arrested Development) - Portia visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (Community) - Yvette co-hosts The Chew on ABC at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Zach Braff (Scrubs) - Catch Zach on a repeat of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Gillian Jacobs (Community) - Gillian is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family/The Class) - Jesse stops by Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Ken Jeong (Community) - Ken visits LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Kevin Nealon (Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin stops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- David Alan Grier (Less Than Perfect/DAG) - David appears on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Jessica Walter (Arrested Development/Retired at 35) - Tune in to see Jessica on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Anne Heche (Save Me) - Anne will be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Steve Harvey (The Steve Harvey Show) - Watch Steve on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (Community) - Yvette co-hosts The Chew on ABC at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Valerie Harper (Rhoda/Valerie) - Valerie appears on a repeat of The Jeff Probst Show, so check your local listings.
- Melissa Joan Hart (Melissa & Joey/Sabrina, the Teenage Witch) - Melissa guest co-hosts a repeat of Anderson Live, so check your local listings.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, January 18
Fresh Off the Boat - "Clean Slate" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
On the eve of Chinese New Year, Jessica pushes the entire family to settle all debts, disputes and grudges to ensure good fortune for the coming year. Unsure if she can contain her temper for the remainder of the day, Jessica enlists Emery to makes sure she keeps her cool. Meanwhile, Louis and Evan go on a wild goose chase to hunt down some hate mail, and Eddie is forced to entertain his super lame cousin.
Speechless - " S-I-- SICK D-A-- DAY" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Maya gets sick, Jimmy is forced to be the mom of the house, and Dylan becomes Kenneth’s replacement for JJ when Kenneth also gets sick. Jimmy ends up doing well with Maya’s normal duties, but he tries to keep it from her to avoid her feeling bad. Meanwhile, JJ protects Dylan from a boy she’s interested in. And despite its illness, the family bands together and pulls an all-nighter to finish Ray’s school project.
Modern Family - "Halloween 4: The Revenge of Rod Skyhook" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Luke’s Halloween party isn’t the monster bash he dreamed of and is at risk of having the worst party of the year. Sensing trouble, the rest of the Dunphy’s realize all his party needs is a visit from Rod Skyhook, a little promotion and some adult supervision to get it started. Meanwhile at the Tucker-Pritchett home, Cam faces off with his Halloween nemesis while Lily and Mitchell try to save the day and work to keep him from going to the darkside. Finally, when Jay finds out that Manny is going to a party at the home of an old enemy, he enlists him to deliver a trick he will never forget.
black-ish - "Good Dre Hunting" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Bow convinces a begrudging Dre to try therapy, and he learns how to cope with his anger issues. Meanwhile, Johan becomes a life coach to the kids.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - "Old Lady House: A Situation Comedy" (FXX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Charlie thinks Mac's mom is holding his mom hostage so the gang installs spy cameras in their house to monitor what's going on. What they end up discovering is the moms are quite entertaining once Dennis makes some quick edits and adds a laugh track to the surveillance footage. Dee wants in on the new hit show and Frank becomes obsessed with banging Charlie's mom now that he's seen her on TV.
Man Seeking Woman - "Horse" (FXX, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Lucy attempts to forge a relationship with Josh's best friend Mike.
Schitt's Creek - "The Throuple" (Pop, 8:00PM ET/PT)
David and Stevie try to come to terms with their new relationship; Alexis and Moira plan a mother/daughter lunch.
Wednesday, January 18
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Watch Wendi on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. He also talks about The Founder on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Louie Anderson (Baskets/Life with Louie/The Louie Show) - Louie appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Michael Keaton (Working Stiffs/All's Fair) - Michael is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Woody Harrelson (Cheers) - Woody stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Eric McCormack (Will & Grace) - Eric appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ted Danson (The Good Place/Becker/Cheers) - Ted visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Judah Friedlander (30 Rock) - Judah is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother/Stark Raving Mad/Doogie Howser, M.D.) and B.J. Novak (The Office) - Neil and B.J. are guests on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo. Neil can also be heard on The Morning Mash Up on SiriusXM at 10:20am.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry and his wife Rebecca Romijn chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Friends) - Matt appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Patrick Warburton (Crowded/Rules of Engagement/Less Than Perfect) - Patrick is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Kirstie Alley (Cheers/Veronica's Closet/Kirstie) - Kirstie dishes about the new season of Scream Queens and her weight loss with Jenny Craig on The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.