Thursday, November 08, 2012
The Honeymooners Thanksgiving Day Marathon on WPIX; Remembering Clive Dunn (Dad's Army) and Leonard Termo (Owner of Joe's Fruits on Seinfeld)
New York's WPIX is well known for airing The Honeymooners for more than four decades. From the Gotham Bus Company depot to the Raccoon Lodge, WPIX11 is New York's home for The Honeymooners. New Yorkers have been ringing in the New Year with Ralphie Boy on WPIX11 since 1996, when The Honeymooners Marathon (which began airing on the station in 1976) moved to New Year's Eve.
WPIX will once again air the Thanksgiving staple The March of the Wooden Soldiers at Thursday, November 22 at 9am. The 1934 classic film has the classic comic team of Laurel and Hardy star in this lighthearted version of Victor Herbert's classic operetta about a fantasy world where toys are made and nursery-rhyme characters live. In this rendition, Stan and Ollie help save Toyland from the Bog. Then it's a 6-hour marathon of The Honeymooners from 11am-5pm. 12 of the "lost" episodes will be featured. Episodes airing in the marathon are: "Letter to the Boss" (11/14/53), "One Big Happy Family" (04/09/55), "The Man in the Blue Suit" (05/01/54), "Hair-Raising Tale" (05/08/54), "Vacation at Fred's Landing" ("Vacation Plans") (06/19/54), "Brother-in-Law" (11/27/54), "Peacemaker" 03/05/55), "Songwriters" (12/11/54), "Move Uptown" (04/24/54), "Boys and Girls Together" (04/23/55), "Songs and Witty Sayings, Pt. 1" (05/14/55), and "Songs and Witty Sayings, Pt. 2" (05/14/55). Bang, zoom, straight to the Moon!
The Odd Couple has aired in marathons on Thanksgiving Day on WPIX the past two years, but this year it will be The Honeymooners. We mentioned back in August that The Honeymooners can currently be seen late Sunday nights from 2-4am. Stay with us for details on their annual New Year's Day marathon and any other stunts.
English actor Clive Dunn, best known for his role as Lance-Corporal Jack Jones in the popular BBC sitcom Dad's Army, has died. He died in Portugal on November 6 from complications following an operation which took place earlier in the week. Mr. Dunn was 92.
Dunn first appeared as a regular in the British comedy Bootsie and Snudge as the old dogsbody Harry Johnson from 1960-1963. In 1968, he landed the role Lance-Corporal Jack Jones, the local butcher, on Dad's Army. The show was broadcast on BBC television between 1968 and 1977. It was one of Britain's most popular sitcoms and ran for 9 series and 80 episodes. Dunn later starred as retired and embittered engine driver Sam Cobbett in the short-lived British sitcom My Old Man from 1974-1975. His final lead role was as Charlie Quick, the caretaker at a village hall, on Grandad from 1979-1984. He also performed the show's theme song. Survivors include his wife, Priscilla Morgan, and their two daughters, Polly and Jessica. Mr. Dunn was a British comedy legend. He will be sorely missed.
Character actor Leonard Termo, who appeared in the memorable Seinfeld episode "The Mango," has died. He died peacefully in his sleep on October 30 at his home in Santa Clarita, California. Mr. Termo was 77.
Termo played Joe, the owner of Joe's Fruits, in the fifth season premiere episode of Seinfeld titled "The Mango." Kramer takes a bite out of a bad peach, and attempts to return the fruit to the store where he got it. After he insults Joe, he is banned from the store. Jerry is also banned from the store when he attempts to buy fruits for Kramer. George is later able to buy the fruits for both Kramer and Jerry. After he eats one of Joe's mangoes, he exclaims "I think it moved!"
His other television guest appearances included Wiseguy, Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman and The Huntress. Termo appeared in five movies with his friend Mickey Rourke: The Pope of Greenwich Village, Year of the Dragon, Barfly, A Prayer for the Dying and Homeboy. His other film credits included Heart Like a Wheel, The Cotton Club, Johnny Dangerously, Turk 182!, Ruby, Ed Wood, Lost Highway, Fight Club and Ali. Mr. Termo was a fine character actor. We loved his quotes on Seinfeld. He will be greatly missed.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March)
03/03 - CHiPs - The Complete Third Season
03/10 - Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete Series
03/10 - Hey Dude - The Complete Series (Walmart Exclusive)
03/10 - Petticoat Junction - Family Favorite Episodes
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 5 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Seasons 5 & 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Maude - The Complete Series (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete First Season (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Second Season (Shout! Factory)
03/24 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 2 (MPI Home Video)
03/31 - Silicon Valley - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
03/31 - Veep - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, March 3
Fresh Off the Boat - "Showdown at the Golden Saddle" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Things are looking up for the Huangs when Louis gets the restaurant a billboard in a prime spot in Orlando. They even get an invite to the country club. But when someone repeatedly vandalizes the billboard, they’re left wondering why. Eddie works hard to get the attention of the girl he’s crushing on (Luna Blaise as Nicole), but it doesn’t help matters when his mom hires her to babysit him.
New Girl - "Walk of Shame" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
After a night of partying at Bearclaw’s (guest star Josh Gad), Jess and Cece make their way back to the loft and run into a familiar face. Meanwhile, Coach worries about bringing Nick and Winston around his sophisticated new girlfriend, May (guest star Meaghan Rath).
The Mindy Project - "Fertility Bites" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Mindy’s fertility clinic opens. But with zero track record in the fertility field, attracting new patients is tougher than she imagined. Meanwhile, at Shulman & Associates, the nurses try to raise money for obese nurses while trying to get to know Dr. Bergdahl.
Cougar Town - "Two Men Talking" TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Fearing that her dad, Chick, is lonely, Jules tries to set him up with Grayson as a best friend. Laurie helps Andy fit in with a cool mom group and Travis and Ellie open up to each other in the Winebulance.
Sirens - "Let Pytons Be Pythons" (USA Network, 10:00PM ET/PT)
A car crash at a firehouse releases an unusual passenger; Billy accompanies Theresa and Maeve to a sample sale.
Tuesday, March 3
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Catch Tom on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Bridgit Mendler (Undateable/Good Luck Charlie/Wizards of Waverly Place) - Bridgit is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Drew Carey (The Drew Carey Show/The Good Life) - Drew guest co-hosts The Late Late Show at 12:37am on CBS.
- Angela Kinsey (The Hotwives of Orlando/The Office) - Angela appears on The Late Late Show at 12:37am on CBS.
- Anne Heche (Save Me/The Michael J. Fox Show) - Anne visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- J.B. Smoove (The Millers/'Til Death/Curb Your Enthusiasm) - J.B. talks about the new season of Four Courses with J.B. Smoove and MSG's Garden of Laughs comedy show on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Kendra C. Johnson (Tyler Perry's Love Thy Neighbor) - Kendra stops by The Real, so check your local listings.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony is a guest on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Robbie Amell (1600 Penn/True Jackson, VP/Life with Derek) - Robbie talks about The Flash and The Duff on The Better Show, so check your local listings.
- Larry David (Curb Your Enthusiasm) - Larry talks about Fish in the Dark on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Jeremy Sisto (Suburgatory) - Jeremy talks about A&E's The Returned on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. He will also be on HuffPost Live at 4:30pm.
- Forrest Wheeler and Ian Chen (Fresh Off the Boat) - Forrest and Ian talk about their new comedy series on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Ming-Na Wen (The Single Guy) - Ming-Na Wen will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Juliette Lewis (I Married Dora) - Juliette joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Molly Ringwald (Townies/The Facts of Life) - Molly talks about The Breakfast Club's 30th Anniversary on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 9am hour.
- Mo'Nique (The Parkers) - Mo'Nique is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Alyssa Milano (Who's the Boss?/Romantically Challenged) - Alyssa guest co-hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.