Thursday, November 08, 2012
The Honeymooners Thanksgiving Day Marathon on WPIX; Remembering Clive Dunn (Dad's Army) and Leonard Termo (Owner of Joe's Fruits on Seinfeld)
New York's WPIX is well known for airing The Honeymooners for more than four decades. From the Gotham Bus Company depot to the Raccoon Lodge, WPIX11 is New York's home for The Honeymooners. New Yorkers have been ringing in the New Year with Ralphie Boy on WPIX11 since 1996, when The Honeymooners Marathon (which began airing on the station in 1976) moved to New Year's Eve.
WPIX will once again air the Thanksgiving staple The March of the Wooden Soldiers at Thursday, November 22 at 9am. The 1934 classic film has the classic comic team of Laurel and Hardy star in this lighthearted version of Victor Herbert's classic operetta about a fantasy world where toys are made and nursery-rhyme characters live. In this rendition, Stan and Ollie help save Toyland from the Bog. Then it's a 6-hour marathon of The Honeymooners from 11am-5pm. 12 of the "lost" episodes will be featured. Episodes airing in the marathon are: "Letter to the Boss" (11/14/53), "One Big Happy Family" (04/09/55), "The Man in the Blue Suit" (05/01/54), "Hair-Raising Tale" (05/08/54), "Vacation at Fred's Landing" ("Vacation Plans") (06/19/54), "Brother-in-Law" (11/27/54), "Peacemaker" 03/05/55), "Songwriters" (12/11/54), "Move Uptown" (04/24/54), "Boys and Girls Together" (04/23/55), "Songs and Witty Sayings, Pt. 1" (05/14/55), and "Songs and Witty Sayings, Pt. 2" (05/14/55). Bang, zoom, straight to the Moon!
The Odd Couple has aired in marathons on Thanksgiving Day on WPIX the past two years, but this year it will be The Honeymooners. We mentioned back in August that The Honeymooners can currently be seen late Sunday nights from 2-4am. Stay with us for details on their annual New Year's Day marathon and any other stunts.
English actor Clive Dunn, best known for his role as Lance-Corporal Jack Jones in the popular BBC sitcom Dad's Army, has died. He died in Portugal on November 6 from complications following an operation which took place earlier in the week. Mr. Dunn was 92.
Dunn first appeared as a regular in the British comedy Bootsie and Snudge as the old dogsbody Harry Johnson from 1960-1963. In 1968, he landed the role Lance-Corporal Jack Jones, the local butcher, on Dad's Army. The show was broadcast on BBC television between 1968 and 1977. It was one of Britain's most popular sitcoms and ran for 9 series and 80 episodes. Dunn later starred as retired and embittered engine driver Sam Cobbett in the short-lived British sitcom My Old Man from 1974-1975. His final lead role was as Charlie Quick, the caretaker at a village hall, on Grandad from 1979-1984. He also performed the show's theme song. Survivors include his wife, Priscilla Morgan, and their two daughters, Polly and Jessica. Mr. Dunn was a British comedy legend. He will be sorely missed.
Character actor Leonard Termo, who appeared in the memorable Seinfeld episode "The Mango," has died. He died peacefully in his sleep on October 30 at his home in Santa Clarita, California. Mr. Termo was 77.
Termo played Joe, the owner of Joe's Fruits, in the fifth season premiere episode of Seinfeld titled "The Mango." Kramer takes a bite out of a bad peach, and attempts to return the fruit to the store where he got it. After he insults Joe, he is banned from the store. Jerry is also banned from the store when he attempts to buy fruits for Kramer. George is later able to buy the fruits for both Kramer and Jerry. After he eats one of Joe's mangoes, he exclaims "I think it moved!"
His other television guest appearances included Wiseguy, Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman and The Huntress. Termo appeared in five movies with his friend Mickey Rourke: The Pope of Greenwich Village, Year of the Dragon, Barfly, A Prayer for the Dying and Homeboy. His other film credits included Heart Like a Wheel, The Cotton Club, Johnny Dangerously, Turk 182!, Ruby, Ed Wood, Lost Highway, Fight Club and Ali. Mr. Termo was a fine character actor. We loved his quotes on Seinfeld. He will be greatly missed.
Bob's Burgers - "The Frond Files" (Fox, 7:00PM ET/PT)
Bob and Linda visit school and learn that their kids' essays about their fantasy version of Wagstaff are "too creative" and "offensive." Eugene transforms the school into a "Fart School for the Gifted" (watch out for Keyboard Jail); Tina, to her delight, depicts a world where she is romanced by countless zombie teenage boys; and Louise creates a school where she takes down a robotic Mr. Frond from the future ("We need more creamed corn!").
The Simpsons - "Diggs" (Fox, 7:30PM ET/PT)
Bart is rescued from a confrontation with Springfield Elementary's bullies by Diggs (guest voice Daniel Radcliffe), a recent transfer student and aspiring champion in the niche sport of falconry. But, Bart soon discovers that Diggs wants to do more than just wrangle falcons: he wants to take to the sky himself.
The Simpsons - "The Man Who Grew Too Much" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
On a research trip, Lisa is shocked to discover that Sideshow Bob is now the chief scientist at a massive chemical engineering company, but her fears are allayed as she becomes enamored with his likeminded appreciation of high-culture. Meanwhile, Marge's attempt to preach healthy sexual practices to a teen church group goes awry.
Family Guy - "Mom's the Word" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
After Peter's mother passes away, he forms a special friendship with her longtime pal, Evelyn (guest voice Lauren Bacall), who attempts to seduce Peter. Meanwhile, Stewie is distraught when he understands the reality of death for the first time.
Liv and Maddie - "Slump-A-Rooney" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Maddie and Willow are excited to try out for the school's varsity softball team but Willow is in a slump and Maddie figures out why.
I Didn't Do It - "If It Takes Like a Brussels Sprout" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Jasmine and Logan invent a spray that makes vegetables taste even more delicious.
Austin & Ally - "Cupids & Cuties" (Disney Channel, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Trish is nervous about an upcoming visit from a boy she has a crush on and acts strangely when he takes her on a date.
Monday, March 10
- Steve Harvey (The Steve Harvey Show) - Watch Steve on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. He also chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Andy Samberg (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) - Andy appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Busy Philipps (Cougar Town) - Busy visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Minnie Driver (About a Boy) - Minnie is part of the guest panel on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Kevin Nealon (Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Weeds) - Kevin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Nia Long (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air), Zulay Henao (Love Thy Neighbor), Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) and Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs) - The cast of The Single Moms Club are guests on The Arsenio Hall Show, so check your local listings.
- Paul Scheer (The League) - Paul appears on The Pete Holmes Show at midnight on TBS.
- Ray Romano (Everybody Loves Raymond) - Ray appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Krysten Ritter (Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23) - Krysten talks about her new movie Veronica Mars on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Jennie Garth (What I Like About You) - Jennie joins Clinton Kelly and prepares a savory layered dish with mushrooms and polenta and discusses her new book (Deep Thoughts from a Hollywood Blonde) on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey and Troy Gentile (The Goldbergs) - Wendi and Troy will be on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings. Wendi will also be on The Better Show, so check your local listings.
- Chris Lowell (Enlisted) - Chris talks about the new Veronica Mars movie on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jenna Elfman (Growing Up Fisher/1600 Penn/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna is a guest on The Queen Latifah Show, so check your local listings.
- The Cast of Mixology - The cast of Mixology will be guests on Pop Sugar on TV Guide Network at 6pm and on the next day on their website at noon.