Thursday, November 08, 2012
The Honeymooners Thanksgiving Day Marathon on WPIX; Remembering Clive Dunn (Dad's Army) and Leonard Termo (Owner of Joe's Fruits on Seinfeld)
New York's WPIX is well known for airing The Honeymooners for more than four decades. From the Gotham Bus Company depot to the Raccoon Lodge, WPIX11 is New York's home for The Honeymooners. New Yorkers have been ringing in the New Year with Ralphie Boy on WPIX11 since 1996, when The Honeymooners Marathon (which began airing on the station in 1976) moved to New Year's Eve.
WPIX will once again air the Thanksgiving staple The March of the Wooden Soldiers at Thursday, November 22 at 9am. The 1934 classic film has the classic comic team of Laurel and Hardy star in this lighthearted version of Victor Herbert's classic operetta about a fantasy world where toys are made and nursery-rhyme characters live. In this rendition, Stan and Ollie help save Toyland from the Bog. Then it's a 6-hour marathon of The Honeymooners from 11am-5pm. 12 of the "lost" episodes will be featured. Episodes airing in the marathon are: "Letter to the Boss" (11/14/53), "One Big Happy Family" (04/09/55), "The Man in the Blue Suit" (05/01/54), "Hair-Raising Tale" (05/08/54), "Vacation at Fred's Landing" ("Vacation Plans") (06/19/54), "Brother-in-Law" (11/27/54), "Peacemaker" 03/05/55), "Songwriters" (12/11/54), "Move Uptown" (04/24/54), "Boys and Girls Together" (04/23/55), "Songs and Witty Sayings, Pt. 1" (05/14/55), and "Songs and Witty Sayings, Pt. 2" (05/14/55). Bang, zoom, straight to the Moon!
The Odd Couple has aired in marathons on Thanksgiving Day on WPIX the past two years, but this year it will be The Honeymooners. We mentioned back in August that The Honeymooners can currently be seen late Sunday nights from 2-4am. Stay with us for details on their annual New Year's Day marathon and any other stunts.
English actor Clive Dunn, best known for his role as Lance-Corporal Jack Jones in the popular BBC sitcom Dad's Army, has died. He died in Portugal on November 6 from complications following an operation which took place earlier in the week. Mr. Dunn was 92.
Dunn first appeared as a regular in the British comedy Bootsie and Snudge as the old dogsbody Harry Johnson from 1960-1963. In 1968, he landed the role Lance-Corporal Jack Jones, the local butcher, on Dad's Army. The show was broadcast on BBC television between 1968 and 1977. It was one of Britain's most popular sitcoms and ran for 9 series and 80 episodes. Dunn later starred as retired and embittered engine driver Sam Cobbett in the short-lived British sitcom My Old Man from 1974-1975. His final lead role was as Charlie Quick, the caretaker at a village hall, on Grandad from 1979-1984. He also performed the show's theme song. Survivors include his wife, Priscilla Morgan, and their two daughters, Polly and Jessica. Mr. Dunn was a British comedy legend. He will be sorely missed.
Character actor Leonard Termo, who appeared in the memorable Seinfeld episode "The Mango," has died. He died peacefully in his sleep on October 30 at his home in Santa Clarita, California. Mr. Termo was 77.
Termo played Joe, the owner of Joe's Fruits, in the fifth season premiere episode of Seinfeld titled "The Mango." Kramer takes a bite out of a bad peach, and attempts to return the fruit to the store where he got it. After he insults Joe, he is banned from the store. Jerry is also banned from the store when he attempts to buy fruits for Kramer. George is later able to buy the fruits for both Kramer and Jerry. After he eats one of Joe's mangoes, he exclaims "I think it moved!"
His other television guest appearances included Wiseguy, Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman and The Huntress. Termo appeared in five movies with his friend Mickey Rourke: The Pope of Greenwich Village, Year of the Dragon, Barfly, A Prayer for the Dying and Homeboy. His other film credits included Heart Like a Wheel, The Cotton Club, Johnny Dangerously, Turk 182!, Ruby, Ed Wood, Lost Highway, Fight Club and Ali. Mr. Termo was a fine character actor. We loved his quotes on Seinfeld. He will be greatly missed.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)
10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonders Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Read Our Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series / Read Our Review
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, November 27
The Big Bang Theory - "The Thanksgiving Coupling" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Sheldon protests when the gang drags him to Mrs. Wolowitz’s house for Thanksgiving. Meanwhile, Penny and Leonard must deal with a mistake from her past.
Mom - "Kimchi and a Monkey Playing Harmonica" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Christy has mixed feelings about Baxter's new relationship with Candace. Meanwhile, things between Bonnie and Alvin heat up. Sara Rue guest stars as Candace; Edward Asner guest stars as Christy and Bonnie’s neighbor, Jack. Kevin Pollak returns as Alvin.
Two and a Half Men - "Oontz Oontz Oontz" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Walden decides to foster a 6-year-old boy, but begins to doubt himself when they don’t bond like he expected. Edan Alexander joins the cast as Louis, the foster child.
The McCarthys - "Thanks a Lot, Ronny" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
During Thanksgiving dinner, the McCarthy family works together to manipulate Gerard into breaking up with his offensive girlfriend. Jessica St. Clair guest stars as Gerard’s girlfriend, Katrina.
Thursday, November 27
- Ted Danson (Cheers/Becker) - Catch Ted on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Rashida Jones (Parks and Recreation/The Office) - Rashida visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Jamie Foxx (The Jamie Foxx Show) - Jamie appears on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC. He will also be on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Reed Between the Lines/Girlfriends) - Tracee is a guest on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Bob Newhart (The Bob Newhart Show/Newhart/Bob) - Bob is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Melissa Rauch (The Big Bang Theory) - Melissa appears on a repeat The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Kristin Chenoweth (Kristin) - Kristin chats on Tavis Smiley, so check your local listings.
- Jennie Garth (Mystery Girls/What I Like About You) and Tori Spelling (Mystery Girls) - Jennie and Tori are guests on a repeat of the Better Show, so check your local listings.
- Kat Dennings (2 Broke Girls) - Watch Kat on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short Show) - Martin appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your local listings.
- Shia LaBeouf (Even Stevens) - Shia is a guest on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Kim Cattrall (Sex and the City) - Kim shares why she's having the best sex of her life now and being happily single in the city on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Laurence Fisbburne (black-ish) - Laurence is a guest on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 2am on BET.
- Jenny McCarthy (Two and a Half Men/Jenny) - Jenny appears on a repeat of the Better Show, so check your local listings.
- Emeril Lagasse (Emeril) - Emeril gives great ideas for your Thanksgiving leftovers on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Norman Lear (Producer of All in the Family/Sanford and Son/The Jeffersons/Good Times) - Norman chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Marlo Thomas (That Girl) - Marlo is a guest on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- John Ratzenberger (Cheers) - John will be on Fox & Friends on Fox News Channel.