Thursday, November 08, 2012
The Honeymooners Thanksgiving Day Marathon on WPIX; Remembering Clive Dunn (Dad's Army) and Leonard Termo (Owner of Joe's Fruits on Seinfeld)
New York's WPIX is well known for airing The Honeymooners for more than four decades. From the Gotham Bus Company depot to the Raccoon Lodge, WPIX11 is New York's home for The Honeymooners. New Yorkers have been ringing in the New Year with Ralphie Boy on WPIX11 since 1996, when The Honeymooners Marathon (which began airing on the station in 1976) moved to New Year's Eve.
WPIX will once again air the Thanksgiving staple The March of the Wooden Soldiers at Thursday, November 22 at 9am. The 1934 classic film has the classic comic team of Laurel and Hardy star in this lighthearted version of Victor Herbert's classic operetta about a fantasy world where toys are made and nursery-rhyme characters live. In this rendition, Stan and Ollie help save Toyland from the Bog. Then it's a 6-hour marathon of The Honeymooners from 11am-5pm. 12 of the "lost" episodes will be featured. Episodes airing in the marathon are: "Letter to the Boss" (11/14/53), "One Big Happy Family" (04/09/55), "The Man in the Blue Suit" (05/01/54), "Hair-Raising Tale" (05/08/54), "Vacation at Fred's Landing" ("Vacation Plans") (06/19/54), "Brother-in-Law" (11/27/54), "Peacemaker" 03/05/55), "Songwriters" (12/11/54), "Move Uptown" (04/24/54), "Boys and Girls Together" (04/23/55), "Songs and Witty Sayings, Pt. 1" (05/14/55), and "Songs and Witty Sayings, Pt. 2" (05/14/55). Bang, zoom, straight to the Moon!
The Odd Couple has aired in marathons on Thanksgiving Day on WPIX the past two years, but this year it will be The Honeymooners. We mentioned back in August that The Honeymooners can currently be seen late Sunday nights from 2-4am. Stay with us for details on their annual New Year's Day marathon and any other stunts.
English actor Clive Dunn, best known for his role as Lance-Corporal Jack Jones in the popular BBC sitcom Dad's Army, has died. He died in Portugal on November 6 from complications following an operation which took place earlier in the week. Mr. Dunn was 92.
Dunn first appeared as a regular in the British comedy Bootsie and Snudge as the old dogsbody Harry Johnson from 1960-1963. In 1968, he landed the role Lance-Corporal Jack Jones, the local butcher, on Dad's Army. The show was broadcast on BBC television between 1968 and 1977. It was one of Britain's most popular sitcoms and ran for 9 series and 80 episodes. Dunn later starred as retired and embittered engine driver Sam Cobbett in the short-lived British sitcom My Old Man from 1974-1975. His final lead role was as Charlie Quick, the caretaker at a village hall, on Grandad from 1979-1984. He also performed the show's theme song. Survivors include his wife, Priscilla Morgan, and their two daughters, Polly and Jessica. Mr. Dunn was a British comedy legend. He will be sorely missed.
Character actor Leonard Termo, who appeared in the memorable Seinfeld episode "The Mango," has died. He died peacefully in his sleep on October 30 at his home in Santa Clarita, California. Mr. Termo was 77.
Termo played Joe, the owner of Joe's Fruits, in the fifth season premiere episode of Seinfeld titled "The Mango." Kramer takes a bite out of a bad peach, and attempts to return the fruit to the store where he got it. After he insults Joe, he is banned from the store. Jerry is also banned from the store when he attempts to buy fruits for Kramer. George is later able to buy the fruits for both Kramer and Jerry. After he eats one of Joe's mangoes, he exclaims "I think it moved!"
His other television guest appearances included Wiseguy, Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman and The Huntress. Termo appeared in five movies with his friend Mickey Rourke: The Pope of Greenwich Village, Year of the Dragon, Barfly, A Prayer for the Dying and Homeboy. His other film credits included Heart Like a Wheel, The Cotton Club, Johnny Dangerously, Turk 182!, Ruby, Ed Wood, Lost Highway, Fight Club and Ali. Mr. Termo was a fine character actor. We loved his quotes on Seinfeld. He will be greatly missed.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)
10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonders Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - TARGET="_blank">Read Our Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, October 20
The Big Bang Theory - "The Expedition Approximation" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Sheldon and Raj test whether they could survive a dark-matter research expedition in a salt mine by simulating the conditions in a steam tunnel. Meanwhile, Leonard and Penny seek advice from Wolowitz and Bernadette after they fight about money.
The Millers - "Movin' Out (Carol's Song) (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Carol begins her search for a new apartment, causing Nathan and Debbie to race each other to find her a place that is the farthest away from each of them. During the course of her house-hunting, Carol meets and develops an instant bond with Kip Finkle, her new best friend. Emmy Award winner Sean Hayes joins the cast as Kip Finkle.
American Dad - "Blonde Ambition" (TBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Hayley decides she might get more attention if she becomes a blonde, while Steve and Stan search for a new home for the Smiths.
When her efforts to save the planet prove hopeless, Hayley decides that she might get more attention if she becomes a blonde. Meanwhile, Stan and Steve go on a mission to find a new home for the Smiths.
Monday, October 20
- Jason Segel (How I Met Your Mother) - Watch Jason on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Steve Harvey (The Steve Harvey Show) - Steve appears on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Casey Wilson (Marry Me/Happy Endings) - Casey stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Jim Rash (Community) - Jim visits The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds) - Connie is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Tori Spelling (Mystery Girls) - Tori stops by LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings. She also discusses her show True Tori on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She can be heard on the Howard Stern Show on SiriusXM channel 100.
- Lena Dunham (Girls) - Lena chats on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Tom Lennon (Reno 911!/Sean Saves the World) - Tom is a guest on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly) - Melissa appears NBC's Today in the 9am hour. She will also be on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- The Cast of The Wonder Years - Danica McKellar, Fred Savage and Josh Saviano reunite on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Kirk Cameron (Growing Pains/Kirk) - Kirk talks about bringing faith and family back to the holidays in his new film Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Jim Gaffigan (My Boys/Welcome to New York) - Jim talks about his book (Food: A Lovey Story) on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Clark Gregg (The New Adventures of Old Christine) - Clark chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. He will also be on HuffPost Live at 12:30pm. He can be heard on Morning Mash-Up on SiriusXM Hits 1 channel 2 at at 9:45am.
- Scott Foley (The Goodwin Games/A.U.S.A.) - Scott chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Michael Rapaport (The War at Home) - Michael is a guest on HuffPost Live at 2:30pm.
- Jonathan Kite (2 Broke Girls) - Jonathan talks about 2 Broke Girls on Arise TV at 7pm on Centric.
- Katey Sagal (Marry Me/8 Simple Rules/Married with Children) - Katey appears on The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 2am on BET.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly) - Mike will be on PIX11 Morning News on WPIX in New York at 8:50am.