Thursday, November 08, 2012
The Honeymooners Thanksgiving Day Marathon on WPIX; Remembering Clive Dunn (Dad's Army) and Leonard Termo (Owner of Joe's Fruits on Seinfeld)
New York's WPIX is well known for airing The Honeymooners for more than four decades. From the Gotham Bus Company depot to the Raccoon Lodge, WPIX11 is New York's home for The Honeymooners. New Yorkers have been ringing in the New Year with Ralphie Boy on WPIX11 since 1996, when The Honeymooners Marathon (which began airing on the station in 1976) moved to New Year's Eve.
WPIX will once again air the Thanksgiving staple The March of the Wooden Soldiers at Thursday, November 22 at 9am. The 1934 classic film has the classic comic team of Laurel and Hardy star in this lighthearted version of Victor Herbert's classic operetta about a fantasy world where toys are made and nursery-rhyme characters live. In this rendition, Stan and Ollie help save Toyland from the Bog. Then it's a 6-hour marathon of The Honeymooners from 11am-5pm. 12 of the "lost" episodes will be featured. Episodes airing in the marathon are: "Letter to the Boss" (11/14/53), "One Big Happy Family" (04/09/55), "The Man in the Blue Suit" (05/01/54), "Hair-Raising Tale" (05/08/54), "Vacation at Fred's Landing" ("Vacation Plans") (06/19/54), "Brother-in-Law" (11/27/54), "Peacemaker" 03/05/55), "Songwriters" (12/11/54), "Move Uptown" (04/24/54), "Boys and Girls Together" (04/23/55), "Songs and Witty Sayings, Pt. 1" (05/14/55), and "Songs and Witty Sayings, Pt. 2" (05/14/55). Bang, zoom, straight to the Moon!
The Odd Couple has aired in marathons on Thanksgiving Day on WPIX the past two years, but this year it will be The Honeymooners. We mentioned back in August that The Honeymooners can currently be seen late Sunday nights from 2-4am. Stay with us for details on their annual New Year's Day marathon and any other stunts.
English actor Clive Dunn, best known for his role as Lance-Corporal Jack Jones in the popular BBC sitcom Dad's Army, has died. He died in Portugal on November 6 from complications following an operation which took place earlier in the week. Mr. Dunn was 92.
Dunn first appeared as a regular in the British comedy Bootsie and Snudge as the old dogsbody Harry Johnson from 1960-1963. In 1968, he landed the role Lance-Corporal Jack Jones, the local butcher, on Dad's Army. The show was broadcast on BBC television between 1968 and 1977. It was one of Britain's most popular sitcoms and ran for 9 series and 80 episodes. Dunn later starred as retired and embittered engine driver Sam Cobbett in the short-lived British sitcom My Old Man from 1974-1975. His final lead role was as Charlie Quick, the caretaker at a village hall, on Grandad from 1979-1984. He also performed the show's theme song. Survivors include his wife, Priscilla Morgan, and their two daughters, Polly and Jessica. Mr. Dunn was a British comedy legend. He will be sorely missed.
Character actor Leonard Termo, who appeared in the memorable Seinfeld episode "The Mango," has died. He died peacefully in his sleep on October 30 at his home in Santa Clarita, California. Mr. Termo was 77.
Termo played Joe, the owner of Joe's Fruits, in the fifth season premiere episode of Seinfeld titled "The Mango." Kramer takes a bite out of a bad peach, and attempts to return the fruit to the store where he got it. After he insults Joe, he is banned from the store. Jerry is also banned from the store when he attempts to buy fruits for Kramer. George is later able to buy the fruits for both Kramer and Jerry. After he eats one of Joe's mangoes, he exclaims "I think it moved!"
His other television guest appearances included Wiseguy, Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman and The Huntress. Termo appeared in five movies with his friend Mickey Rourke: The Pope of Greenwich Village, Year of the Dragon, Barfly, A Prayer for the Dying and Homeboy. His other film credits included Heart Like a Wheel, The Cotton Club, Johnny Dangerously, Turk 182!, Ruby, Ed Wood, Lost Highway, Fight Club and Ali. Mr. Termo was a fine character actor. We loved his quotes on Seinfeld. He will be greatly missed.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July)
06/14 - Ballers - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
06/14 - The League - Season 7 - The Final Fantasy
06/14 - The League - The Complete Series
06/14 - Maude - The Complete Fifth Season
06/14 - Survivor's Remorse - The Complete Second Season
06/21 - Workaholics - Season Six
06/24 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
06/28 - Two Guys and a Girl - The Complete Series
07/08 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/12 - Grady - The Best of Grady
07/26 - Family Mattters - The Complete Seventh Season
07/26 - Where's Huddles? - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, July 26
Wrecked - "The Adventures of Beth and Lamar" (TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Danny and Owen start a new camp; two survivors try to escape the island; the island makes a discovery that could change everything.
Best Friends Whenever - "Worst Night Whenever" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Bret and Chet worry about their sixth grade dance; haunted by the memories of their own experience, Cyd and Shelby go back in time for a do-over.
In the Cut - "Very Superstitious" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Kenny becomes a savvy saver; everyone thinks the shop is haunted.
Tuesday, July 26
- David Spade (Rules of Engagement/8 Simple Rules/Just Shoot Me!) - Catch David on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Abby Elliott (Odd Mom Out) - Abby stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. She will also be on People Now at 8:30am.
- Maria Bamford (Lady Dynamite) - Maria visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Tituss Burgess (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) - Tituss appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Allison drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Rex Lee (Young & Hungry/Suburgatory) - Rex is a guest on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso joins the Chew Crew on a repeat of ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Marilu Henner (Taxi/Evening Shade) - Marilu talks about how she stays slim and fit for life. She reveals her number one anti-aging beauty secret on The Dr. Oz Show, so chek your local listings.
- Paul Reiser (Mad About You/The Paul Reiser Show) - Paul talks about Aliens on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Busy Phillips (Cougar Town) - Busy flashes back to her Freaks and Geeks audition tape on People Now at 8:30am.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (The Odd Couple/Community) - Yvette guest co-hosts Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Jason Biggs (Mad Love/Drexell's Class) - Jason talks about Amateur Night on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Ashley Williams (The Jim Gaffigan Show/Good Morning, Miami) - Ashley is a guest on People Now at 8:30am.
- Michael Ian Black (The Jim Gaffigan Show/Ed) - Michael visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.