Thursday, November 08, 2012
The Honeymooners Thanksgiving Day Marathon on WPIX; Remembering Clive Dunn (Dad's Army) and Leonard Termo (Owner of Joe's Fruits on Seinfeld)
New York's WPIX is well known for airing The Honeymooners for more than four decades. From the Gotham Bus Company depot to the Raccoon Lodge, WPIX11 is New York's home for The Honeymooners. New Yorkers have been ringing in the New Year with Ralphie Boy on WPIX11 since 1996, when The Honeymooners Marathon (which began airing on the station in 1976) moved to New Year's Eve.
WPIX will once again air the Thanksgiving staple The March of the Wooden Soldiers at Thursday, November 22 at 9am. The 1934 classic film has the classic comic team of Laurel and Hardy star in this lighthearted version of Victor Herbert's classic operetta about a fantasy world where toys are made and nursery-rhyme characters live. In this rendition, Stan and Ollie help save Toyland from the Bog. Then it's a 6-hour marathon of The Honeymooners from 11am-5pm. 12 of the "lost" episodes will be featured. Episodes airing in the marathon are: "Letter to the Boss" (11/14/53), "One Big Happy Family" (04/09/55), "The Man in the Blue Suit" (05/01/54), "Hair-Raising Tale" (05/08/54), "Vacation at Fred's Landing" ("Vacation Plans") (06/19/54), "Brother-in-Law" (11/27/54), "Peacemaker" 03/05/55), "Songwriters" (12/11/54), "Move Uptown" (04/24/54), "Boys and Girls Together" (04/23/55), "Songs and Witty Sayings, Pt. 1" (05/14/55), and "Songs and Witty Sayings, Pt. 2" (05/14/55). Bang, zoom, straight to the Moon!
The Odd Couple has aired in marathons on Thanksgiving Day on WPIX the past two years, but this year it will be The Honeymooners. We mentioned back in August that The Honeymooners can currently be seen late Sunday nights from 2-4am. Stay with us for details on their annual New Year's Day marathon and any other stunts.
English actor Clive Dunn, best known for his role as Lance-Corporal Jack Jones in the popular BBC sitcom Dad's Army, has died. He died in Portugal on November 6 from complications following an operation which took place earlier in the week. Mr. Dunn was 92.
Dunn first appeared as a regular in the British comedy Bootsie and Snudge as the old dogsbody Harry Johnson from 1960-1963. In 1968, he landed the role Lance-Corporal Jack Jones, the local butcher, on Dad's Army. The show was broadcast on BBC television between 1968 and 1977. It was one of Britain's most popular sitcoms and ran for 9 series and 80 episodes. Dunn later starred as retired and embittered engine driver Sam Cobbett in the short-lived British sitcom My Old Man from 1974-1975. His final lead role was as Charlie Quick, the caretaker at a village hall, on Grandad from 1979-1984. He also performed the show's theme song. Survivors include his wife, Priscilla Morgan, and their two daughters, Polly and Jessica. Mr. Dunn was a British comedy legend. He will be sorely missed.
Character actor Leonard Termo, who appeared in the memorable Seinfeld episode "The Mango," has died. He died peacefully in his sleep on October 30 at his home in Santa Clarita, California. Mr. Termo was 77.
Termo played Joe, the owner of Joe's Fruits, in the fifth season premiere episode of Seinfeld titled "The Mango." Kramer takes a bite out of a bad peach, and attempts to return the fruit to the store where he got it. After he insults Joe, he is banned from the store. Jerry is also banned from the store when he attempts to buy fruits for Kramer. George is later able to buy the fruits for both Kramer and Jerry. After he eats one of Joe's mangoes, he exclaims "I think it moved!"
His other television guest appearances included Wiseguy, Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman and The Huntress. Termo appeared in five movies with his friend Mickey Rourke: The Pope of Greenwich Village, Year of the Dragon, Barfly, A Prayer for the Dying and Homeboy. His other film credits included Heart Like a Wheel, The Cotton Club, Johnny Dangerously, Turk 182!, Ruby, Ed Wood, Lost Highway, Fight Club and Ali. Mr. Termo was a fine character actor. We loved his quotes on Seinfeld. He will be greatly missed.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)
06/02 - Parks and Recreation - Season Seven - The Farewell Season
06/02 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series
06/02 - Soap - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
06/02 - The Abbott and Costello Show - The Ultimate Collection
06/09 - The Facts of Life - Season Six
06/16 - The Cosby Show - Season 7 (Mill Creek)
06/16 - The Cosby Show - Season 8 (Mill Creek)
06/16 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 7 & 8 (Mill Creek)
06/16 - Laverne & Shirley - The Complete Series
06/16 - The Odd Couple - The Complete Series
06/16 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Twelfth and Final Season
06/16 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Series
06/23 - George Lopez - The Complete Fourth Season
06/23 - Workaholics - Season Five (Blu-ray)
06/30 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 3 (MPI Home Video)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, July 2
The Big Bang Theory - "The Intimacy Acceleration" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
As a joke, Sheldon and Penny try an experiment designed to make participants fall in love. Also, Leonard, Amy, Raj and Emily spend the evening trying to escape a room with a “zombie.” And, after returning from Mrs. Wolowitz’ funeral, Bernadette and Howard run into trouble at the airport.
Mom - "Crazy Eyes and a Wet Brad Pitt" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Christy and Bonnie are in the lap of luxury when Christy's wealthy sponsee, Jill, asks them to keep her company on her first night out of rehab. Jaime Pressly guest stars as Jill. Rick Fox guest stars as James, Jill’s husband.
Thursday, July 2
- Andy Samberg (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) - Catch Andy on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Laura Prepon (That '70s Show/Are You There, Chelsea?) - Laura appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Kathryn Hahn (Happyish/Parks and Recreation/Free Agents) - Kathryn is a guest on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Jennifer Morrison (How I Met Your Mother) - Jennifer visits LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Joey McIntyre (The McCarthys) - Joey appears on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira ShoW, so check your local listings.
- Peter Facinelli (Nurse Jackie) - Peter is a guest on The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Adrian Grenier (Entourage) - Adrian chats on a repeat of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Valerie Bertinelli (Hot in Cleveland/One Day at a Time), Jane Leeves (Hot in Cleveland/Frasier) and Wendie Malick (Hot in Cleveland/Just Shoot Me!) - The ladies of Hot in Cleveland chat on a repeat of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Melissa Peterman (Baby Daddy/Reba) - Melissa chats on a repeat of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Christina Applegate (Up All Night/Samantha Who?/Married with Children) - Christina drops by Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Bella Thorne (Shake It Up) - Bella stops by Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Jada Pinkett Smith (A Different World) - Jada is a guest on People Now.
- J.K. Simmons (Growing Up Fisher/Family Tools) - J.K. talks about Terminator: Genisys on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.