Thursday, November 08, 2012
The Honeymooners Thanksgiving Day Marathon on WPIX; Remembering Clive Dunn (Dad's Army) and Leonard Termo (Owner of Joe's Fruits on Seinfeld)
New York's WPIX is well known for airing The Honeymooners for more than four decades. From the Gotham Bus Company depot to the Raccoon Lodge, WPIX11 is New York's home for The Honeymooners. New Yorkers have been ringing in the New Year with Ralphie Boy on WPIX11 since 1996, when The Honeymooners Marathon (which began airing on the station in 1976) moved to New Year's Eve.
WPIX will once again air the Thanksgiving staple The March of the Wooden Soldiers at Thursday, November 22 at 9am. The 1934 classic film has the classic comic team of Laurel and Hardy star in this lighthearted version of Victor Herbert's classic operetta about a fantasy world where toys are made and nursery-rhyme characters live. In this rendition, Stan and Ollie help save Toyland from the Bog. Then it's a 6-hour marathon of The Honeymooners from 11am-5pm. 12 of the "lost" episodes will be featured. Episodes airing in the marathon are: "Letter to the Boss" (11/14/53), "One Big Happy Family" (04/09/55), "The Man in the Blue Suit" (05/01/54), "Hair-Raising Tale" (05/08/54), "Vacation at Fred's Landing" ("Vacation Plans") (06/19/54), "Brother-in-Law" (11/27/54), "Peacemaker" 03/05/55), "Songwriters" (12/11/54), "Move Uptown" (04/24/54), "Boys and Girls Together" (04/23/55), "Songs and Witty Sayings, Pt. 1" (05/14/55), and "Songs and Witty Sayings, Pt. 2" (05/14/55). Bang, zoom, straight to the Moon!
The Odd Couple has aired in marathons on Thanksgiving Day on WPIX the past two years, but this year it will be The Honeymooners. We mentioned back in August that The Honeymooners can currently be seen late Sunday nights from 2-4am. Stay with us for details on their annual New Year's Day marathon and any other stunts.
English actor Clive Dunn, best known for his role as Lance-Corporal Jack Jones in the popular BBC sitcom Dad's Army, has died. He died in Portugal on November 6 from complications following an operation which took place earlier in the week. Mr. Dunn was 92.
Dunn first appeared as a regular in the British comedy Bootsie and Snudge as the old dogsbody Harry Johnson from 1960-1963. In 1968, he landed the role Lance-Corporal Jack Jones, the local butcher, on Dad's Army. The show was broadcast on BBC television between 1968 and 1977. It was one of Britain's most popular sitcoms and ran for 9 series and 80 episodes. Dunn later starred as retired and embittered engine driver Sam Cobbett in the short-lived British sitcom My Old Man from 1974-1975. His final lead role was as Charlie Quick, the caretaker at a village hall, on Grandad from 1979-1984. He also performed the show's theme song. Survivors include his wife, Priscilla Morgan, and their two daughters, Polly and Jessica. Mr. Dunn was a British comedy legend. He will be sorely missed.
Character actor Leonard Termo, who appeared in the memorable Seinfeld episode "The Mango," has died. He died peacefully in his sleep on October 30 at his home in Santa Clarita, California. Mr. Termo was 77.
Termo played Joe, the owner of Joe's Fruits, in the fifth season premiere episode of Seinfeld titled "The Mango." Kramer takes a bite out of a bad peach, and attempts to return the fruit to the store where he got it. After he insults Joe, he is banned from the store. Jerry is also banned from the store when he attempts to buy fruits for Kramer. George is later able to buy the fruits for both Kramer and Jerry. After he eats one of Joe's mangoes, he exclaims "I think it moved!"
His other television guest appearances included Wiseguy, Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman and The Huntress. Termo appeared in five movies with his friend Mickey Rourke: The Pope of Greenwich Village, Year of the Dragon, Barfly, A Prayer for the Dying and Homeboy. His other film credits included Heart Like a Wheel, The Cotton Club, Johnny Dangerously, Turk 182!, Ruby, Ed Wood, Lost Highway, Fight Club and Ali. Mr. Termo was a fine character actor. We loved his quotes on Seinfeld. He will be greatly missed.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)
04/07 - Barney Miller - The Complete Seventh Season
04/07 - The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series
04/07 - The Crazy Ones - The Complete First Season
04/07 - Frasier - The Complete Series
04/07 - King of the Hill - The Complete 9th Season
04/07 - King of the Hill - The Complete 10th Season
04/07 - 1600 Penn - The Complete Season 1
04/07 - Wanda at Large - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
04/07 - Wilfred - The Complete Season 4
04/14 - Growing Pains - The Complete Fourth Season (WBShop.com)
04/21 - What's Happening!! - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
04/28 - I Love Lucy - I Love Mom Edition
04/28 - The Jeffersons - Season Seven
04/28 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites: Season 5
04/28 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, April 18
Henry Danger - "The Bucket Trap" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Henry and Charlotte want to tell Jasper that Henry is really Kid Danger. They decide to give Jasper a test secret to prove he's ready.
Bella and the Bulldogs - "Bulldog Buddies" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Troy's feelings get hurt when his younger brother chooses Bella, instead of him, as his football mentor. Pepper worries about her future with Sawyer when her parents forbid her from having a boyfriend. Guest Star: Damarr Calhoun.
Sunday, April 19
- Brandy Norwood (The Game/Moesha/Thea) - Catch Brandy on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- John Travolta (Welcome Back, Kotter) - Watch John on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- John Stamos (Jake in Progress/Full House/You Again?) - John drops by Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Ron Funches (Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Dick Van Dyke (The Dick Van Dyke Show/The New Dick Van Dyke Show) - Dick is a guest on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Jenny Slate (Married/Parks and Recreation) - Jenny appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Josh Gad (The Comedians/1600 Penn/Back to You) - Josh chats on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Felicity Huffman (Sports Night) - Felicity stops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso appears on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 1am on BET.
- Michael Rapaport (The War at Home) - Michael joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT. He will also be on PIX11 Morning News on WPIX in New York at 8:15am.
- Suzanne Cryer (Silicon Valley/Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place) - Suzanne talks about what to expect on the second season of Silicon Valley on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Nick Kroll (The League/Cavemen) - Nick discusses his new film Adult Beginners and talks about saying goodbye to his sketch comedy series Kroll Show on HuffPost Live at 12pm.
- Lily Tomlin (Malibu Country) - Lily discusses her new comedy Grandma and shares details on reuniting with Jane Fonda in the upcoming Netflix series Grace and Frankie (premiering May 8) on HuffPost Live at 12:30pm.
- Kathryn Hahn (Happyish/Parks and Recreation/Free Agents) - Kathryn talks about Happyish on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Tamera Mowry (Sister, Sister/Roommates) - Tamera will be on People Now.
- Wendy Raquel Robinson (The Game/The Steve Harvey Show/Minor Adjustments) - Wendy is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.