Thursday, November 08, 2012
The Honeymooners Thanksgiving Day Marathon on WPIX; Remembering Clive Dunn (Dad's Army) and Leonard Termo (Owner of Joe's Fruits on Seinfeld)
New York's WPIX is well known for airing The Honeymooners for more than four decades. From the Gotham Bus Company depot to the Raccoon Lodge, WPIX11 is New York's home for The Honeymooners. New Yorkers have been ringing in the New Year with Ralphie Boy on WPIX11 since 1996, when The Honeymooners Marathon (which began airing on the station in 1976) moved to New Year's Eve.
WPIX will once again air the Thanksgiving staple The March of the Wooden Soldiers at Thursday, November 22 at 9am. The 1934 classic film has the classic comic team of Laurel and Hardy star in this lighthearted version of Victor Herbert's classic operetta about a fantasy world where toys are made and nursery-rhyme characters live. In this rendition, Stan and Ollie help save Toyland from the Bog. Then it's a 6-hour marathon of The Honeymooners from 11am-5pm. 12 of the "lost" episodes will be featured. Episodes airing in the marathon are: "Letter to the Boss" (11/14/53), "One Big Happy Family" (04/09/55), "The Man in the Blue Suit" (05/01/54), "Hair-Raising Tale" (05/08/54), "Vacation at Fred's Landing" ("Vacation Plans") (06/19/54), "Brother-in-Law" (11/27/54), "Peacemaker" 03/05/55), "Songwriters" (12/11/54), "Move Uptown" (04/24/54), "Boys and Girls Together" (04/23/55), "Songs and Witty Sayings, Pt. 1" (05/14/55), and "Songs and Witty Sayings, Pt. 2" (05/14/55). Bang, zoom, straight to the Moon!
The Odd Couple has aired in marathons on Thanksgiving Day on WPIX the past two years, but this year it will be The Honeymooners. We mentioned back in August that The Honeymooners can currently be seen late Sunday nights from 2-4am. Stay with us for details on their annual New Year's Day marathon and any other stunts.
English actor Clive Dunn, best known for his role as Lance-Corporal Jack Jones in the popular BBC sitcom Dad's Army, has died. He died in Portugal on November 6 from complications following an operation which took place earlier in the week. Mr. Dunn was 92.
Dunn first appeared as a regular in the British comedy Bootsie and Snudge as the old dogsbody Harry Johnson from 1960-1963. In 1968, he landed the role Lance-Corporal Jack Jones, the local butcher, on Dad's Army. The show was broadcast on BBC television between 1968 and 1977. It was one of Britain's most popular sitcoms and ran for 9 series and 80 episodes. Dunn later starred as retired and embittered engine driver Sam Cobbett in the short-lived British sitcom My Old Man from 1974-1975. His final lead role was as Charlie Quick, the caretaker at a village hall, on Grandad from 1979-1984. He also performed the show's theme song. Survivors include his wife, Priscilla Morgan, and their two daughters, Polly and Jessica. Mr. Dunn was a British comedy legend. He will be sorely missed.
Character actor Leonard Termo, who appeared in the memorable Seinfeld episode "The Mango," has died. He died peacefully in his sleep on October 30 at his home in Santa Clarita, California. Mr. Termo was 77.
Termo played Joe, the owner of Joe's Fruits, in the fifth season premiere episode of Seinfeld titled "The Mango." Kramer takes a bite out of a bad peach, and attempts to return the fruit to the store where he got it. After he insults Joe, he is banned from the store. Jerry is also banned from the store when he attempts to buy fruits for Kramer. George is later able to buy the fruits for both Kramer and Jerry. After he eats one of Joe's mangoes, he exclaims "I think it moved!"
His other television guest appearances included Wiseguy, Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman and The Huntress. Termo appeared in five movies with his friend Mickey Rourke: The Pope of Greenwich Village, Year of the Dragon, Barfly, A Prayer for the Dying and Homeboy. His other film credits included Heart Like a Wheel, The Cotton Club, Johnny Dangerously, Turk 182!, Ruby, Ed Wood, Lost Highway, Fight Club and Ali. Mr. Termo was a fine character actor. We loved his quotes on Seinfeld. He will be greatly missed.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (July)
07/07 - Archie Bunker's Place - Season One (Mill Creek)
07/07 - Barney Miller - The Final (Eighth) Season
07/07 - Married with Children - Season Eleven (Mill Creek)
07/07 - Married with Children - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
07/07 - The Michael J. Fox Show - The Complete First Season
07/07 - Playing House - Season 1
07/14 - Growing Pains - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
07/14 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Third Season
07/28 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites - Season 7
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, July 28
Fresh Off the Boat - "Dribbling Tiger, Bounce Pass Dragon" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Louis and Jessica get pressured into volunteering at the kids’ schools because of budget cuts. Eddie sees a whole other side of his dad when Louis – a former semi-pro basketball player back in Taiwan — coaches the basketball team, while Emery and Evan see a side of Jessica they wish they hadn’t when she grudgingly takes on producing their school play, and puts her own spin on it.
black-ish - "Big Night, Big Fight" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Although Dre and Rainbow find they always end up quarreling on their annual Valentine’s Day date, this time around, Dre is determined to do everything right and keep the peace. Meanwhile, Diane realizes she may not have received many Valentine’s cards because she is too critical, so her siblings decide to teach her how to give a compliment.
Clipped - "Mo's Ma" (TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
As Mo tries to come to terms with his parents divorce, the gang has additional insight as to why they might be splitting. A.J. accuses Danni of being jealous when she finds out he has a date.
Tuesday, July 28
- Danny DeVito (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia/Taxi) - Catch Danny on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Natasha Leggero (Another Period/Free Agents) - Natasha drops by Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Michael Rapaport (The War at Home) - Michael visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Parker Posey (The Return of Jezebel James) - Parker talks about her film Irrational Man on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Julie Bowen (Modern Family) - Julie appears on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) and Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Anthony and Tracee dish about black-ish on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Brad Garrett ('Til Death/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Brad is a guest on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- B.J. Novak (The Office) - B.J. appears on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show, so check your local listings.
- Zendaya (K.C. Undercover) - Zendaya chats on The Boris and Nicole Show on select Fox-owned stations, so check your local listings.
- Holly Robinson Peete (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/For Your Love) - Holly and her husband Rodney are guests on The Boris and Nicole Show on select Fox-owned stations, so check your local listings.
- Loretta Devine (The Carmichael Show/The PJs/A Different World) - Loretta appears on The Boris and Nicole Show, so check your local listings.
- Christina Applegate (Up All Night/Samantha Who?/Jesse/Married with Children) - Christina talks Vacation on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Dove Cameron (Liv and Maddie) - Dove talks about the Disney movie Desendants on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.