Tuesday, November 06, 2012
Matlock launches on INSP next Monday, November 12. The long-running legal drama will air weeknights at 10pm ET. The fun begins with a two-part event Monday and Tuesday night. In the series premiere, "Diary of a Perfect Murder," Ben Matlock and his daughter Charlene defend a TV journalist accused of killing his ex-wife. A double dose of Matlock can also be seen on WGN America daily at 9-11am ET/6-8am PT.
INSP will present a 14-hour "Black Friday Matlock Marathon" on Friday, November 23 starting at 12pm ET. Many television stars make guest appearances in these episodes, including Don Knotts (The Andy Griffith Show/Three's Company), Betty White (Hot in Cleveland/The Golden Girls/The Mary Tyler Moore Show), Jason Bateman (Arrested Development/The Hogan Family), Corbin Bernsen (L.A. Law, ALF (ALF), Rhea Perlman (Cheers), Malcolm-Jamal Warner (The Cosby Show) and David Carradine (Kung Fu). View the complete marathon schedule here.
Andy Griffith stars in the classic courtroom drama Matlock, playing a Harvard-educated lawyer with a Georgian accent. The 60-minute show centers around his ability to solve a murder mystery to prove his client's innocence and put the real killer behind bars. Matlock aired on NBC for the first six seasons (1986-1992) and then on ABC for three more seasons (1992-1995). Many of the cases were on the sensational side and included Perry Mason-like last-minute revelations on the witness stand. The stories and characters had Griffith's trademark folksy appeal and proved to be his second monster hit, like his classic 1960s sitcom. Several of Andy Griffith's co-stars on the Andy Griffith Show also appeared on Matlock as guest stars. They were Don Knotts (Barney Fife), Aneta Corsaut (Helen Crump), Jack Dodson (Howard Sprague), Arlene Golonka (Millie Hutchins), and Betty Lynn (Thelma Lou).
Moving on to other INSP schedule news, Little House on the Prairie's 10pm airing is being replaced by the newly acquired Matlock. It will remain weekdays at 1pm and 2pm. As we mentioned back in September during our annual schedule barrage, INSP airs sitcoms The Brady Bunch and Happy Days. They recently moved The Brady Bunch from noon (where The Waltons receives an additional airing) to 5-6pm. The two-hour block of Happy Days was cut back an hour to 6-7pm. The rest of their schedule includes classics The Big Valley, The High Chaparral, The Virginian and Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman.
Remember INSP is available in more than 70 million households across the U.S. on more than 2,800 cable systems and on Dish Network channel 259, DirecTV channel 364, AT&T U-verse channel 564 and Verizon FiOs channel 242. Viewers can check their local program guides for channel information or visit www.insp.com.
CBS has announced that its freshman drama Elementary, which provides a modern take on Sherlock Holmes in New York City, will receive the coveted post-Super Bowl slot. A special episode will be aired following Super Bowl XLVIII on Sunday, February 3 (approximately 10:00-11:00pm, ET/7:00-8:00pm, PT).
The show has performed very well in the ratings on Thursday nights at 10pm ET. It averages 14.2 million viewers and a 3.5 18-49 rating. Elementary is the second most-watched new show of the season. Only CBS' Vegas has averaged slightly more total viewers at 14.5 million.
Elementary stars Jonny Lee Miller as eccentric, mischievous detective Sherlock Holmes and Lucy Liu as Dr. Joan Watson, a former surgeon turned sober companion. Following his fall from grace in London and a stint in rehab, Sherlock escapes to Manhattan where his wealthy father forces him to live with his worst nightmare – a sobriety coach. Now running free in New York solving crimes, it’s simple deduction that he’s going to need someone to keep him grounded, and it’s elementary that it’s a job for Watson.
Also, Aidan Quinn stars as Capt. Thomas Gregson, who knows from previous experience working with Scotland Yard that Sherlock is brilliant at closing cases, along with Jon Michael Hill, who portrays Det. Marcus Bell, a top-notch investigator who is initially skeptical of Holmes and his unorthodox methods.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (May)
05/05 - Cheers - The Complete Series
05/12 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete Fourth Season
05/12 - The Hotwives of Orlando - The Complete First Season
05/12 - Mister Ed - The Final (Sixth) Season (Shout! Factory)
05/19 - American Dad - Volume 10
05/19 - C.P.O. Sharkey - The Complete Season 1
05/19 - The Larry Sanders Show - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Married with Children - Season Nine (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Married with Children - Season Ten (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Married with Children - Seasons Nine and Ten (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Married with Children - Seasons Nine and Ten (Mill Creek)
05/19 - NewsRadio - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
05/19 - Welcome to Sweden - The Complete First Season
05/26 - Hello Ladies - Season 1
05/26 - The Nanny - The Complete Series
05/26 - Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Third Season
05/26 - The Wonder Years - Season Three
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, May 28
The Big Bang Theory - "The Space Probe Disintegration" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Wolowitz tries to distract Raj, who is anxiously awaiting data from a space probe he helped launch. Meanwhile, Sheldon and Leonard go dress shopping with Penny and Amy.
The Odd Couple - "The Ghostwriter" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Oscar is hired to ghostwrite the autobiography of a retired baseball player, Felix offers his “help” by advising Murph to go in a different direction, making Oscar’s job more difficult.
Mom - "Figgy Pudding and the Rapture" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Christy convinces herself that everything is fine even though her family is basically homeless. Surprisingly, Bonnie is the one who tries to bring her back to reality.
Mike & Molly - "To Have and Withhold" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Molly has writer’s block, and she might lose her big advance if she doesn’t cure it fast.
The Comedians - "Charity" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Billy has an awkward interaction with a homeless man, while Josh goes to his crush's "charity" event.
Louie - "The Road: Part 2" (FX, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Louie continues his work on the road.
Thursday, May 28
- Louis C.K. (Louie) - Catch Louis on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Kumail Nanjiani (Silicon Valley) - Kumail appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Peter Facinelli (Nurse Jackie) - Peter is a guest on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Maz Jobrani (Better Off Ted/The Knights of Prosperity) - Maz appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney is a guest on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Chris D'Elia (Undateable/Whitney) - Chris appears on a repeat of @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- The Cast of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The cast of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia are guests on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Kevin Dillon (Entourage) and Kevin Connolly (Entourage/Unhappily Ever After) - They are guests on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Adrian Grenier (Entourage) - Adrian talks about the new film Entourage on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 10am hour. He will also be on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Alyssa Milano (Who's the Boss?/Romantically Challenged) - Alyssa appears on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 1am on BET.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi will be on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on HuffPost Live at 11am..
- Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory) - Jim is a guest on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- David Duchovny (Californication) - David talks about Aquarius on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Sherri Shepherd (Less Than Perfect/Sherri) - Sherri guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Raven-Symoné (That's So Raven/Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/The Cosby Show) - Raven-Symoné guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Simon Helberg (The Big Bang Theory) - Simon appears on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Constance Zimmer (Good Morning, Miami) - Constance discusses reprising her role as Dana Gordon in the highly-anticipated Entourage movie, which hits theaters June 3, on HuffPost Live at 2pm.
- The Cast of Entourage) - Kevin Dillon, Kevin Connolly, Adrian Grenier, Jerry Ferrara and Jeremy Piven are guests on the AOL Build Show.
- Lori Loughlin (Full House) - Lori will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Grizz Chapman (30 Rock) - Grizz will be a guest on Essence Live.