Thursday, April 14, 2011
Spin City ran for six seasons from September 17, 1996 until April 30, 2002 on ABC. The series starred Michael J. Fox as Deputy Mayor Mike Flaherty, with Charlie Sheen taking over Fox's role as new Deputy Mayor Charlie Crawford. The cast also starred Richard Kind as Press Secretary Paul Lassiter, Alan Ruck as Chief of Staff Stuart Bondek, Michael Boatman as Head of Minority Affairs Carter Heywood, and Heather Locklear as Mayor Winston's campaign manager, Caitlin Moore.
Spin City was last seen on cable on FX until this past fall, so it hasn't been airing on TV since. No word if TV Guide plans to air the first four seasons starring Michael J. Fox, but as of now it's only Charlie Sheen's seasons! Watch out for warlocks! Finally, as you all know, TV Guide Network also airs Ugly Betty, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Weeds, Punk'd, and The Hills.
From Charlie Sheen to big balls, in one of the most significant programming acquisitions in the network's history, truTV has licensed the exclusive, off-network cable rights to the smash hit comedic series Wipeout from Disney-ABC Domestic Television, beginning in fall 2011. Wipeout will join truTV's successful lineup, which currently includes such hit original series as Operation Repo, Hardcore Pawn, All Worked Up and Lizard Lick Towing.
truTV's acquisition of WIPEOUT comes as the network has been enjoying tremendous success with its lineup of original series. truTV now ranks as one of basic cable's Top 10 networks among men 18-49 and Wipeout will certainly help in that demo.
Created and produced by Endemol USA, the hit reality competition series Wipeout premiered on ABC in summer 2008. The show challenges contestants to complete what is billed as the world's largest obstacle course. They must face wildly outrageous barriers, from Big Balls to complex contraptions, for the chance at winning a cash prize. Wipeout, which is also shown in numerous international versions around the globe, ranks among the world's top-rated game shows. The series was recently voted by Entertainment Weekly's readers as "Reality TV's Guiltiest Pleasure."
The series, which is currently in its fourth season on ABC, is hosted by John Anderson (SportsCenter), John Henson (Talk Soup) and co-hosted by the sexy Jill Wagner. The series starts its new summer season on ABC on Tuesday, June 21.
And we have one more rerun acquisition to announce! GMC, America's favorite channel for uplifting music and family entertainment, announced that the recently-acquired family drama Heartland will make its network premiere tonight (Thursday, April 14) with back-to-back episodes at 7 and 8 pm ET (encores at 9 and 10 pm ET and 11 pm and midnight ET, and on Sunday at 11 pm and midnight ET). The series has been airing in local broadcast syndication in many markets on weekends since the fall.
The hour-long Heartland, a top-rated series in Canada called "a modern-day Little House on the Prairie," was acquired by GMC in a U.S. cable deal with Genesis International Television and Film.
Starring Amber Marshall (The Elizabeth Smart Story), Heartland is the struggle of a debt-ridden family of Rocky Mountain horse ranchers fighting to keep a dream alive against a backdrop of young love, conflict and intrigue. Veteran actor Shaun Johnston (Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee); Michelle Morgan (Stargate: Atlantis) and Graham Wardle (In the Land of Women, Yesterday) also star. In Canada, the series - now in its fifth season -- leads in households and all key individual female and male demos in its 7 p.m. time slot on Sundays on CBC Television (Canada's national broadcaster).
This series is not to be confused with the TNT original series that aired in 2006-07 with Treat Williams and Kari Matchett. This series on GMC will join such series like The Waltons and Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, January 19
The Big Bang Theory - "The Romance Calibration" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Penny feels that Leonard is taking her for granted, she decides to go on a spa weekend with Amy. Also, Wolowitz and Koothrappali try to fix a squeaky floorboard in the baby’s room.
The Great Indoors - "Mason Blows Up" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Jack tries to reassert his dominance as a reporter after Mason scores an investigative coup that turns him into an overnight celebrity. Also, Clark’s low self-esteem causes him to give Emma relationship advice about other guys instead of asking her out himself
Mom - "Good Karma and the Big Weird" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Bonnie encourages Christy to pursue Marjorie’s charming nephew, Nick, despite the fact that he’s been declared off limits. Chris Pratt, husband of MOM star Anna Faris, guest stars as Nick, Marjorie’s nephew.
Life in Pieces - "Tailgate Spiral Souvenir Seating" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Colleen and Matt host the family tailgate party at the L.A. Rams game, they invite former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner to spice up their so far dismal event. Also, Tim’s in danger of missing the game when Sophia makes him take her to the restroom and they get sidetracked returning to their seats; Joan and Jen try to sneak into seats closer to the field; and Greg wins a chance to participate in a halftime contest involving a football toss.
Baskets - "Freaks" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Chip has to decide between a tarp and snacks.
Friday, January 20
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Catch Anthony on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- JoAnna Garcia Swisher (Reba/Better with You) - JoAnna visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show/My Boys/Welcome to New York) - Jim stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela drops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Nicole Byer (Loosely, Exactly Nicole) - Nicole appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Joe Jonas (Jonas L.A.) - Joe guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Bernadette Peters (Mozart in the Jungle/All's Fair) - Bernadette is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Queen Latifah (Living Single) - Queen Latifah is a guest on a repeat of Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Andrew Dice Clay (Bless This House/Hitz) - Andrew stops by Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory/Roseanne - Johnny discusses his role in the new film, Rings, and dishes on this season of The Big Bang Theory on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.