Tuesday, July 22, 2008
FX Schedule Changes; Remembering Golden Girls' Estelle Getty, Lifetime Honors Estelle with Marathon on Friday
As for the rest of the schedule, after 1pm the schedule is not really constant, but here is how it looks generally:
Weekdays - 7-8am Malcolm in the Middle, 8am The Practice, 9-10am Spin City, 10am Movie, 12-1pm Spin City, 1-6pm various back to back slots of King of the Hill, That '70s Show and Malcolm in the Middle (with some Fear Factor mixed in around 1pm on some days), 6pm-11pm movies/originals, 11pm-2am usually marathons of That '70s Show or King of the Hill (with an episode of Fear Factor on a few days days around 1am).
Weekends - 7am The Practice, 8am The Practice, 9am-10am Spin City (on some weekends), Movies otherwise, 10am-2am Movies/originals.
These changes are probably temporary (as of now through 9/1, but could be a bit more beyond that) and we will let you know the fall line-up as soon as we know. Married...with Children of course is expiring at the end of August, but we have seen the last of it on FX already (last airing was July 13 at 1am)...it'll be coming to Spike TV and TBS this September, as we have mentioned many times already. No idea if Buffy or Dharma are expiring, though, but we will try to find out. Dharma & Greg will still air on WE tv weekdays 11am-12pm. Bernie Mac is coming this Fall to FX we know in a four-year-deal...more info on that soon. Stay tuned!
We have yet another TV related passing to tell you. This time it is fan favorite Estelle Getty. Estelle of course is best known for her role as Sophia Petrillo on the sitcom The Golden Girls. She died this morning (Tuesday, July 22 at 5:35am PT) in Los Angeles. Estelle had been suffering from Dementia with Lewy bodies for the last 8 years or so.
Estelle had been nominated for an Emmy seven times for her role on The Golden Girls, winning in 1988. She was also nominated three times for a Golden Globe, winning in 1986.
Before The Golden Girls, her acting career started in 1978. She got her start in the Yiddish theater, and her most important early role was playing Harvey Fierstein's mother on Broadway in the play Torch Song Trilogy. She then moved on to films, with her most famous ones such as Tootsie (1982) and Mask (1985). She also guest starred on some series such Cagney & Lacey, Hotel, One of the Boys, and Newhart before getting The Golden Girls in 1985. During the run of The Golden Girls, she played Sophia Petrillo on other series as well. She guest starred a few times on the spin-off series Empty Nest. She also guest starred as Sophia on the sitcom Blossom in 1991, an NBC series at the time of The Golden Girls. After The Golden Girls ended in 1992 on NBC, CBS did a follow-up series called The Golden Palace, where the girls work at a hotel. Everyone came back except Bea Arthur (she did guest star a few time though). The sitcom lasted one season and also starred Don Cheadle and Cheech Marin. She once again played the role of Sophia on an episode of the Empty Nest spin-off series Nurses in 1993.
She guest starred on many series not playing Sophia as well. She played herself on episodes of sitcoms such as The John Larroquette Show, The Nanny, and It's Like You Know. She also guest starred on series such as City, The Fanelli Boys, Touched by an Angel, Hollywood Squares, Brotherly Love, Mad About You, and Ladies Man. She continued on film as well with movies such as Stuart Little and The Million Dollar Kid.
Estelle will be deeply missed by not only Golden Girls fans but by all sitcom fans.
UPDATE: This Friday, July 25, Lifetime Television will pay a special on-air and online tribute to Estelle Getty. July 25 is also her birthday. From 12-5PM (ET/PT), Lifetime will air 10 episodes showcasing 'Sophia' in all her blustering, sarcastic splendor, beginning with the show's pilot. The last episode at 4:30PM (ET/PT) will be the #1 favorite "Sophia episode" as decided through a vote of her legion of devoted fans at myLifetime.com.
Estelle would have been 85 on Friday, so she passed away three days before her 85th birthday. I'm sure many of you don't know this, but Bea Arthur is actually a bit older then Estelle, despite Bea playing her daughter on The Golden Girls.
The following was stated on her website:
"To all of Estelle's Fans,
Sadly, today July 22, 2008 at 5:35 a.m. Pacific Time, we said our last good-byes to our little friend Estelle, who passed away and made her journey to the great beyond. Although it was a trip that she never wanted to take, she went gracefully, in the comfort of her own home, surrounded by her family and her very loving care-givers.
Estelle's legacy will live on and on through the comedy and laughter she gave to us all, which will forever keep us laughing out loud."
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)
04/07 - Barney Miller - The Complete Seventh Season
04/07 - The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series
04/07 - The Crazy Ones - The Complete First Season
04/07 - Frasier - The Complete Series
04/07 - King of the Hill - The Complete 9th Season
04/07 - King of the Hill - The Complete 10th Season
04/07 - 1600 Penn - The Complete Season 1
04/07 - Wanda at Large - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
04/07 - Wilfred - The Complete Season 4
04/14 - Growing Pains - The Complete Fourth Season (WBShop.com)
04/21 - What's Happening!! - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
04/28 - I Love Lucy - I Love Mom Edition
04/28 - The Jeffersons - Season Seven
04/28 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites: Season 5
04/28 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, April 28
New Girl - "Panty Gate" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Schmidt takes the fall to help Fawn out of a political scandal. Meanwhile, Jess declares herself a “love doctor” and Coach faces a life-changing decision with May.
Weird Loners - "The Weirdfather" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Stosh and Eric visit Stosh’s 12-year-old son, Frank, for the first time, and they bond over watching “The Godfather.” Meanwhile, Caryn becomes clingy and overbearing in her friendship with Zara.
Undataeable - "A Sibling Rivalry Walks Into a Bar" (NBC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
After Danny (Chris D'Elia) sets Leslie (Bianca Kajlich) up on a horrible blind date, Justin (Brent Morin) steps up when she needs a date to a work event. To prove he is a good brother, Danny makes his case to accompany Leslie. Meanwhile, Shelly (Ron Funches) helps Burski (Rick Glassman) get a cheap suit so he can impress Leslie.
One Big Happy - "Wedlocked" (NBC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
After Luke (Nick Zano) learns about a secret that Prudence (Kelly Brook) has been keeping from everyone, he disappears - leaving both their future and her immigration status in serious jeopardy. While Lizzy (Elisha Cuthbert) attempts to console Prudence and fix the situation, Luke hits the bars with Markus (Brandon Smith). And when all looks lost, Lizzy jumps in with a big, bold solution that will catch everyone by surprise.
Your Family or Mine - "The Will" (TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Gil's aunt dies, but nobody liked her until they find out she was leaving beh ind a potential fortune in her will. Oliver and Kelli scramble to find a way out when Shawni asks them to be her horrible son's guardians.
Younger - "Shedonism" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Liza gets to prove herself when Diana tasks her with running a book launch party for a notoriously demanding author. Maggie runs into an old crush, who's finally single, while Kelsey starts to fall for her new author, who's not.
Mann & Wife - "The Ex-Mann" (Bounce TV, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Daniel's ex-wife, Michelle, comes to visit and the family anxiously awaits her arrival; Michael's girlfriend has Daniel worried.
Tuesday, April 28
- Patricia Heaton (The Middle/Back to You/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Catch Patricia on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Edie Falco (Nurse Jackie) - Edie visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Michael Keaton (Working Stiffs/All's Fair) - Michael is a guest on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Anna Faris (Mom) - Anna stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Tituss Burgess (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) - Tituss appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Linda Cardellini (The Good Family/Guys Like Us) - Linda visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Stephen Tobolowsky (Californication) - Stephen is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Zach Woods (Playing House/Silicon Valley/The Office) - Zach drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Mo'Nique (The Parkers) - Mo'Nique opens up about why she believes she was blackballed by Hollywood after her Oscar win and more on The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Bradley Whitford (Happyish/Trophy Wife) - Bradley appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) and Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Anthony and Tracee are guests on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Tahj Mowry (Baby Daddy/Smart Guy) - Tahj is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings. He shares the latest, including his role on ABC Family's comedy series Baby Daddy, his transition into music and his upcoming debut album on HuffPost Live at 4:30pm.
- Tom Arnold (Sin City Saints/Tom/The Tom Show/Roseanne) - Tom talks about Any Day and Sin City Saints on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Yara Shahidi (black-ish) - Yara is a guest on People Now.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe appears on People Now.