Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Fall Schedules Central: ABC Family September 2008; WGN's Mork and Mindy and Coach Marathons; Nick at Nite Gets Original Animated Series for 2009
As we mentioned a lot already, ABC Family will be adding reruns of the popular ABC 2001-2005 sitcom My Wife & Kids starring Damon Wayans. Now we have the full details. The show will launch on Monday, September 1 with a Labor Day marathon from 12pm-10pm. Then effective Tuesday, September 2 My Wife & Kids will join the regular ABC Family line-up airing weeknights at 6:00pm & 6:30pm ET/PT replacing 8 Simple Rules, which will move to 3:00pm & 3:30pm replacing the second Full House hour, which is now gone. Full House will remain at 12 noon and 12:30pm ET/PT. My Wife & Kids will also air Sunday mornings at 10:00am & 10:30am. There will be no other schedule changes to the line-up. To see how the full regular schedule looks, I advise to you view our ABC Family September 2008 thread.
Other ABC Family September highlights include the six-hour mini-series Samurai Girl airing Friday, September 5 through Sunday, September 7 at 8pm-10pm each night, with the whole six-parter airing back-to-back 4-10pm on Sunday. The Secret Life of The American Teenager concludes its first half of the season on Tuesday, Sept. 8 at 8pm, but before that a marathon will air from 11am-8pm. Finally, Lincoln Heights returns for an all-new season the following week on Tuesday, September 15 at 8pm, but before that catch-up with memorable episodes from 11am-8pm earlier in the day.
In the coming days you'll see the September line-ups for Lifetime, WGN America, TV One, FX, TBS, WE tv, ION Television, Nick at Nite, BET and The Hallmark Channel. Broadcast wise, we will do WPIX's fall line-up, and possibly WNYW and WWOR, since I'm in New York. We will also do a Canadian fall lineup on one day with all the notable Canadian Cable stations such as TV Land Canada and DejaView.
We recently gave you details on WGN America's Golden Oldies Week (Aug. 4-7), now WGN America has released that it will have a Mork & Mindy slot on Tuesday, August 19 from 8-10pm ET (5-7pm PT)! It is sort of strange that Mork & Mindy will be isolated on its own for this one-time-only marathon. Other shows usually aired during a theme week.
There will be many new shows coming to WGN America this fall that I will reveal sometime this week in our ongoing fall 2008 series reports. One of the series that will air this fall is the '90s ABC sitcom Coach. We will have more on its regular slot later in the fall schedule, but in August Coach will get a block on Friday, August 29 from 8-10pm ET (5-7pm PT). It will also get a full-fledge marathon the following day, Saturday, August 30 from 12 noon to 7pm ET (that's 9am-4pm PT). Coach is coming just in time for the football season! We don't have episode info for the Coach marathons yet, but we do have the episodes for the Mork & Mindy block on Aug. 19...head on over to our message board to view that.
Nick at Nite will bring in another original animated series. They had one some years back called Fatherhood, from Bill Cosby, now they will have another come in summer 2009. As TV's home for the modern-day family comedy, top-rated Nick at Nite has green-lit Glenn Martin DDS., the first television series from Michael Eisner's Tornante Animation, cuing production on 20 episodes of the original, stop-motion primetime program. Giving the American family a whole new look, the 'trailblazing' series buckles up with the Martins in their toothbrush-topped dental mobile as they leave suburbia behind in the rear-view mirror and embark on a cross-country adventure. Eisner and the newly formed division of The Tornante Company -- Tornante Animation, have enlisted Eric Fogel -- the creative force behind MTV's hit Celebrity Deathmatch -- to help design the series.
Nick at Nite will promote the series a lot leading up to the premiere in Summer 2009. This will also give them an extra promo push for the hit comedy Everybody Hates Chris, from co-creator and narrator Chris Rock and inspired by his real-life childhood experiences, which will launch in September 2009.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (July)
07/07 - Archie Bunker's Place - Season One (Mill Creek)
07/07 - Barney Miller - The Final (Eighth) Season
07/07 - Married with Children - Season Eleven (Mill Creek)
07/07 - Married with Children - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
07/07 - The Michael J. Fox Show - The Complete First Season
07/07 - Playing House - Season 1
07/14 - Growing Pains - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
07/14 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Third Season
07/28 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites - Season 7
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, July 28
Fresh Off the Boat - "Dribbling Tiger, Bounce Pass Dragon" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Louis and Jessica get pressured into volunteering at the kids’ schools because of budget cuts. Eddie sees a whole other side of his dad when Louis – a former semi-pro basketball player back in Taiwan — coaches the basketball team, while Emery and Evan see a side of Jessica they wish they hadn’t when she grudgingly takes on producing their school play, and puts her own spin on it.
black-ish - "Big Night, Big Fight" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Although Dre and Rainbow find they always end up quarreling on their annual Valentine’s Day date, this time around, Dre is determined to do everything right and keep the peace. Meanwhile, Diane realizes she may not have received many Valentine’s cards because she is too critical, so her siblings decide to teach her how to give a compliment.
Clipped - "Mo's Ma" (TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
As Mo tries to come to terms with his parents divorce, the gang has additional insight as to why they might be splitting. A.J. accuses Danni of being jealous when she finds out he has a date.
Tuesday, July 28
- Danny DeVito (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia/Taxi) - Catch Danny on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Natasha Leggero (Another Period/Free Agents) - Natasha drops by Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Michael Rapaport (The War at Home) - Michael visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Parker Posey (The Return of Jezebel James) - Parker talks about her film Irrational Man on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Julie Bowen (Modern Family) - Julie appears on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) and Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Anthony and Tracee dish about black-ish on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Brad Garrett ('Til Death/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Brad is a guest on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- B.J. Novak (The Office) - B.J. appears on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show, so check your local listings.
- Zendaya (K.C. Undercover) - Zendaya chats on The Boris and Nicole Show on select Fox-owned stations, so check your local listings.
- Holly Robinson Peete (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/For Your Love) - Holly and her husband Rodney are guests on The Boris and Nicole Show on select Fox-owned stations, so check your local listings.
- Loretta Devine (The Carmichael Show/The PJs/A Different World) - Loretta appears on The Boris and Nicole Show, so check your local listings.
- Christina Applegate (Up All Night/Samantha Who?/Jesse/Married with Children) - Christina talks Vacation on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Dove Cameron (Liv and Maddie) - Dove talks about the Disney movie Desendants on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.