Saturday, March 03, 2007
South Park: The Complete Ninth Season (Comedy Central DVD, $49.99) contains all 14 episodes from 2005 of the Comedy Central hit show about four foul-mouthed Colorado kids. As anybody that watches South Park knows, this is one of those shows that seems to improve as new seasons are created, as it pushes the envelope further and further in each and every season. And this season is no exception, starting with the episode "Mr. Garrison's Fancy New Vagina," where Mr. Garrison becomes Mrs. Garrison—something that has not changed in the series since this episode premiered. The series mocks the Terry Schiavo saga—maybe the only series that could get away with this—in the episode "Best Friends Forever." Cartman is dead to everybody—well, everybody but Butters—in "The Death of Eric Cartman." Mrs. Garrison decides to fight against same-sex marriage when she discovers that her former love interest from when she was a gay man, Mr. Slave, is about to get married—and uses a mock marriage between Stan and Kyle to prove her point. And, in what may be one of the most important episodes of the series, the Church of Scientology discovers that Stan is the reincarnation of L. Ron Hubbard in "Trapped in the Closet," which is fine until Stan tells Tom Cruise that he isn't the greatest actor ever... leading to Tom Cruise (and a few other celebrities) locking themselves in Stan's closet on the episode, and a lot of controversy in the following months—including the departure of Isaac Hayes' character of Chef (though that doesn't happen until the tenth season).
Of course, there are many other good episodes on the set too, and each episode comes complete with a mini-commentary from creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone (I really don't like these, they are too short and really ought to include other people, but oh well). There are also the usual Comedy Central Quickies on the set, which are really nothing more than previews for other Comedy Central shows, but there is a great one related to the show from one of the tenth season episodes, where Mrs. Garrison explains evolution to the class (of course, keep in mind that Mrs. Garrison is a good Christian woman that isn't going to positive spin on anything that is as unnatural as evolution). The MSRP on these South Park sets are always a little high for the number of episodes and the lack of special features, but they can often be purchased for reasonable prices that are below the MSRP on Amazon.com and in other retail outlets. So head on up to South Park and get these DVDs!
-- Reviewed by skees53
To purchase this DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com Full DVD Reviews Page
South Park TV.com Page
Mike & Molly - "Molly Unleashed" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Molly finds herself at a crossroads with her career, she makes a huge decision. Brian Baumgartner guest stars as Molly’s union rep, James.
The Millers - "Pilot" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Nathan and his sister, Debbie, are upset when their parents announce they’re divorcing after 43 years of marriage. However, that’s nothing compared to the panic they feel when Carol, their intrusive mother, announces that she’s moving in with Nathan, while Tom, their easily distracted father, is moving in with Debbie.
Monday, April 21
- Courteney Cox (Cougar Town/Friends) - Watch Courteney The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Jimmie "J.J." Walker (Good Times) - Jimmie appears on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Billy Bob Thornton (Hears Afire) - Billy Bob is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- George Lopez (Saint George/George Lopez) - George stops by The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ari Graynor (Bad Teacher) - Ari visits The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Marlon Wayans (The Wayans Bros.) - Marlon is a guest on @midnight at midnight on Comedy Central.
- Bob Saget (How I Met Your Mother/Full House) - Bob is part of the guest panel on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt (3rd Rock from the Sun) - Joseph appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Gillian Jacobs (Community) - Tune in to see Gillian on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Paul Scheer (The League) - Paul is a guest on a repeat of The Pete Holmes Show at midnight on TBS.
- Christopher Meloni (Surviving Jack/The Fanelli Boys) - Christopher drops by The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Brooklyn Decker, Majandra Delfino and Zoe Lister-Jones (Friends with Better Lives) - The women of Friends with Better Lives are guests on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT. Zoe will also be on Pop Sugar Now on TV Guide Network at 6pm and on the next day on their website at noon.
- Drew Carey (The Drew Carey Show/The Good Life) - Drew visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Andre Braugher (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) - Andre will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Kirstie Alley (Kirstie/Veronica's Closet/Cheers) - Kirstie throws down a figure-friendly chicken dinner on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Ted Lange (The Love Boat) - Ted is a guest on a repeat of The Better Show, so check your local listings.
- Brittany Daniel (The Game/That '80s Show) - Brittany shares her story of triumph over non-Hodgkins lymphoma on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Beau Bridges (The Millers) - Beau appears on The Queen Latifah Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Toni Colette (United States of Tara) - Toni will be on HuffPost Live.
- Thomas Haden Church (Wings) - Thomas is a guest on HuffPost Live.
- Sofia Vergara (Modern Family/Hot Properties/The Knights of Prosperity) - Sofia visits ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am.
- James Van Der Beek (Friends with Better Lives/Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23) - James will be on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Holly Robinson Peete (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/For Your Love) - Holly hosts the Plugged In panel on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.