Saturday, March 03, 2007
South Park: The Complete Ninth Season (Comedy Central DVD, $49.99) contains all 14 episodes from 2005 of the Comedy Central hit show about four foul-mouthed Colorado kids. As anybody that watches South Park knows, this is one of those shows that seems to improve as new seasons are created, as it pushes the envelope further and further in each and every season. And this season is no exception, starting with the episode "Mr. Garrison's Fancy New Vagina," where Mr. Garrison becomes Mrs. Garrison—something that has not changed in the series since this episode premiered. The series mocks the Terry Schiavo saga—maybe the only series that could get away with this—in the episode "Best Friends Forever." Cartman is dead to everybody—well, everybody but Butters—in "The Death of Eric Cartman." Mrs. Garrison decides to fight against same-sex marriage when she discovers that her former love interest from when she was a gay man, Mr. Slave, is about to get married—and uses a mock marriage between Stan and Kyle to prove her point. And, in what may be one of the most important episodes of the series, the Church of Scientology discovers that Stan is the reincarnation of L. Ron Hubbard in "Trapped in the Closet," which is fine until Stan tells Tom Cruise that he isn't the greatest actor ever... leading to Tom Cruise (and a few other celebrities) locking themselves in Stan's closet on the episode, and a lot of controversy in the following months—including the departure of Isaac Hayes' character of Chef (though that doesn't happen until the tenth season).
Of course, there are many other good episodes on the set too, and each episode comes complete with a mini-commentary from creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone (I really don't like these, they are too short and really ought to include other people, but oh well). There are also the usual Comedy Central Quickies on the set, which are really nothing more than previews for other Comedy Central shows, but there is a great one related to the show from one of the tenth season episodes, where Mrs. Garrison explains evolution to the class (of course, keep in mind that Mrs. Garrison is a good Christian woman that isn't going to positive spin on anything that is as unnatural as evolution). The MSRP on these South Park sets are always a little high for the number of episodes and the lack of special features, but they can often be purchased for reasonable prices that are below the MSRP on Amazon.com and in other retail outlets. So head on up to South Park and get these DVDs!
-- Reviewed by skees53
To purchase this DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com Full DVD Reviews Page
South Park TV.com Page
How I Met Your Mother - "Daisy" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Marshall enlists Ted and Barney to help him figure out where Lily went when she left in the middle of their fight.
2 Broke Girls - "And the Soft Opening" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Business booms for Max and Caroline’s new cupcake walk-up window when word spreads about a shocking incident involving a rock star.
Mike & Molly - "Rich Man, Poor Girl" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Victoria brings home a new boyfriend and the entire family wonders if he’s finally “the one.”
Mom - "Belgian Waffles and Bathroom Privileges" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Christy has trouble accepting how much easier life is with Bonnie in the house. Meanwhile, Baxter sets up camp in the driveway.
Monday, March 10
- Steve Harvey (The Steve Harvey Show) - Watch Steve on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today between 7-9am. Finally, he chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Andy Samberg (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) - Andy appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Busy Philipps (Cougar Town) - Busy visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Minnie Driver (About a Boy) - Minnie is part of the guest panel on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Kevin Nealon (Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Weeds) - Kevin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Nia Long (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air), Zulay Henao (Love Thy Neighbor), Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) and Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs) - The cast of The Single Moms Club are guests on The Arsenio Hall Show, so check your local listings.
- Paul Scheer (The League) - Paul appears on The Pete Holmes Show at midnight on TBS.
- Ray Romano (Everybody Loves Raymond) - Ray appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Krysten Ritter (Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23) - Krysten talks about her new movie Veronica Mars on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Jennie Garth (What I Like About You) - Jennie joins Clinton Kelly and prepares a savory layered dish with mushrooms and polenta and discusses her new book (Deep Thoughts from a Hollywood Blonde) on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey and Troy Gentile (The Goldbergs) - Wendi and Troy will be on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings. Wendi will also be on The Better Show, so check your local listings.
- Chris Lowell (Enlisted) - Chris talks about the new Veronica Mars movie on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET. He will also be on WPIX Morning News at 8:45AM in New York and on HuffPost Live.
- Jenna Elfman (Growing Up Fisher/1600 Penn/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna is a guest on The Queen Latifah Show, so check your local listings.
- The Cast of Mixology - The cast of Mixology will be guests on Pop Sugar on TV Guide Network at 6pm and on the next day on their website at noon.
- Jason Ritter (The Class) - Jason appears on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Jason Bateman (Arrested Development/The Hogan Family/Silver Spoons) - Jason visits NBC's Today between 7-9am.
- Wilmer Valderrama (That '70s Show) - Wilmer is a guest on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Busy Philipps (Cougar Town) - Busy appears on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.