Saturday, March 03, 2007
South Park: The Complete Ninth Season (Comedy Central DVD, $49.99) contains all 14 episodes from 2005 of the Comedy Central hit show about four foul-mouthed Colorado kids. As anybody that watches South Park knows, this is one of those shows that seems to improve as new seasons are created, as it pushes the envelope further and further in each and every season. And this season is no exception, starting with the episode "Mr. Garrison's Fancy New Vagina," where Mr. Garrison becomes Mrs. Garrison—something that has not changed in the series since this episode premiered. The series mocks the Terry Schiavo saga—maybe the only series that could get away with this—in the episode "Best Friends Forever." Cartman is dead to everybody—well, everybody but Butters—in "The Death of Eric Cartman." Mrs. Garrison decides to fight against same-sex marriage when she discovers that her former love interest from when she was a gay man, Mr. Slave, is about to get married—and uses a mock marriage between Stan and Kyle to prove her point. And, in what may be one of the most important episodes of the series, the Church of Scientology discovers that Stan is the reincarnation of L. Ron Hubbard in "Trapped in the Closet," which is fine until Stan tells Tom Cruise that he isn't the greatest actor ever... leading to Tom Cruise (and a few other celebrities) locking themselves in Stan's closet on the episode, and a lot of controversy in the following months—including the departure of Isaac Hayes' character of Chef (though that doesn't happen until the tenth season).
Of course, there are many other good episodes on the set too, and each episode comes complete with a mini-commentary from creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone (I really don't like these, they are too short and really ought to include other people, but oh well). There are also the usual Comedy Central Quickies on the set, which are really nothing more than previews for other Comedy Central shows, but there is a great one related to the show from one of the tenth season episodes, where Mrs. Garrison explains evolution to the class (of course, keep in mind that Mrs. Garrison is a good Christian woman that isn't going to positive spin on anything that is as unnatural as evolution). The MSRP on these South Park sets are always a little high for the number of episodes and the lack of special features, but they can often be purchased for reasonable prices that are below the MSRP on Amazon.com and in other retail outlets. So head on up to South Park and get these DVDs!
-- Reviewed by skees53
To purchase this DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com Full DVD Reviews Page
South Park TV.com Page
The Simpsons - "Yellow Subterfuge" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Principal Skinner promises the students that the best-behaved among them can take a ride in a submarine. When Skinner gives all the kids a clean slate, Bart believes even his own past indiscretions will be forgotten if he doesn't get into any more trouble. Meanwhile Lisa tries to help a cash-poor Krusty to turn things around by suggesting he sell the foreign rights to his shows.
Bob's Burgers - "Bob and Deliver" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
To Tina's delight, Bob becomes the substitute "Home Ec" teacher at her school and ends up creating a full-scale restaurant in the classroom. However, her excitement is short-lived as Bob's position causes father/daughter friction. But when Gene and Louise go to work for Bob's "school" restaurant, Linda must fend for herself at the family's "other" restaurant (aka Bob's Burgers).
Family Guy - "Into Harmony's Way" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When Peter and Quagmire discover that their singing voices create beautiful harmony together, they form a singing/songwriting team, in the vein of Simon and Garfunkel. However, tensions run high when fame gets to Peter's head.
American Dad - "Faking Bad" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
In this "Breaking Bad" parody, Hayley tries to fit in with a popular group of her former high school friends and, in the process, discovers Steve has an amazing ability to create incredibly realistic fake IDs. Sensing a business opportunity, Hayley builds out Steve's operation, but they don't count on having to deal with the other kingpin of the Langley Falls fake ID game: Kevin Ramage (Roger in disguise).
See Dad Run - "See Dad Run Christmas Into the Ground" (Nick at Nite, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Amy has to work on Christmas Eve, David promises to take care of everything but the stress of making the holiday perfect for the kids gets to him and he temporarily loses track of what Christmas is really about.
- "The Gift of the Maggies" (Nick at Nite, 8:30PM ET/PT - re-airs on NickMom at 10:00PM ET/PT)
Stephanie surprises the family with a visit from her dad at Christmas, but she's the one surprised by Maggie's unexpected reaction to his arrival. The kids are excited because they think another grandparent means more presents. Guest Star: Larry Wilmore.
Monday, December 9
- Queen Latifah (Living Single) - Watch Queen Latifah on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi is a guest on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Louie Anderson (Life with Louie/The Louie Show) - Louie appears on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Faith Ford (Hope & Faith/Murphy Brown) - Faith visits LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Constance Marie (George Lopez) - Constance talks about her role on the ABC Family hit Switched at Birth on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Kim Richards (Hello, Larry) - Kim chats on Bethenny, so check your local listings.
- Elise Neal (The Hughleys) - Elise is part of the guest panel on Bethenny, so check your local listings.
- Katey Sagal (8 Simple Rules/Married with Children) - Tune in to see Katey on The Queen Latifah Show, so check your local listings.
- Donald Faison (The Exes/Scrubs) - Donald is a guest on The Queen Latifah Show, so check your local listings. He will also be on The Arsenio Hall Show, so check listings.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom discusses his role in Saving Mr. Banks on ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am.
- Lisa Whelchel (The Facts of Life) - Lisa appears on The Doctors, so check your local listings.