Saturday, March 03, 2007
South Park: The Complete Ninth Season (Comedy Central DVD, $49.99) contains all 14 episodes from 2005 of the Comedy Central hit show about four foul-mouthed Colorado kids. As anybody that watches South Park knows, this is one of those shows that seems to improve as new seasons are created, as it pushes the envelope further and further in each and every season. And this season is no exception, starting with the episode "Mr. Garrison's Fancy New Vagina," where Mr. Garrison becomes Mrs. Garrison—something that has not changed in the series since this episode premiered. The series mocks the Terry Schiavo saga—maybe the only series that could get away with this—in the episode "Best Friends Forever." Cartman is dead to everybody—well, everybody but Butters—in "The Death of Eric Cartman." Mrs. Garrison decides to fight against same-sex marriage when she discovers that her former love interest from when she was a gay man, Mr. Slave, is about to get married—and uses a mock marriage between Stan and Kyle to prove her point. And, in what may be one of the most important episodes of the series, the Church of Scientology discovers that Stan is the reincarnation of L. Ron Hubbard in "Trapped in the Closet," which is fine until Stan tells Tom Cruise that he isn't the greatest actor ever... leading to Tom Cruise (and a few other celebrities) locking themselves in Stan's closet on the episode, and a lot of controversy in the following months—including the departure of Isaac Hayes' character of Chef (though that doesn't happen until the tenth season).
Of course, there are many other good episodes on the set too, and each episode comes complete with a mini-commentary from creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone (I really don't like these, they are too short and really ought to include other people, but oh well). There are also the usual Comedy Central Quickies on the set, which are really nothing more than previews for other Comedy Central shows, but there is a great one related to the show from one of the tenth season episodes, where Mrs. Garrison explains evolution to the class (of course, keep in mind that Mrs. Garrison is a good Christian woman that isn't going to positive spin on anything that is as unnatural as evolution). The MSRP on these South Park sets are always a little high for the number of episodes and the lack of special features, but they can often be purchased for reasonable prices that are below the MSRP on Amazon.com and in other retail outlets. So head on up to South Park and get these DVDs!
-- Reviewed by skees53
To purchase this DVD, click below and help support SitcomsOnline.com:
SitcomsOnline.com Full DVD Reviews Page
South Park TV.com Page
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, August 23
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "The Bet" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Jake and Amy’s ongoing bet about who can make more arrests comes to a close. Meanwhile, Charles receives the Medal of Valor for getting shot in the line of duty, but the pain medication he is taking causes him to reveal his true opinions about his colleagues.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "Pontiac Bandit" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Jake is interested in one of Rosa’s perps, Doug Judy (Guest Star Craig Robinson, “The Office”), who has information about the “Pontiac Bandit”, a car thief whom Jake has been tracking for years. Meanwhile, the station tries to accommodate a scooter-bound Charles’ every need when he returns to work, but he proves to be too much to handle. And Captain Holt struggles to find a home for two puppies.
Sunday, August 24
- Maggie Wheeler (Friends/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Maggie talks about how she won the role of Janice on Friends and what it has done for her career on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 9pm Et/PT on OWN. She will also share about her family life and her latest projects. They will also have a special tribute to Robin Williams, with Oprah's favorite moments from Robin Williams' 14 appearances on the Oprah show.
- Michael Cera (Arrested Development) - Watch Michael on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Ron Funches (Undateable) - Ron appears on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- John Stamos (Full House/Jake in Progress) - Catch John on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Simon Helberg (The Big Bang Theory) - Simon is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Josh Meyers (That '70s Show) - Josh appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Christopher Meloni (Surviving Jack/The Fanelli Boys) - Christopher is a guest on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory) - Jim chats on a repeat of Tavis Smiley on PBS, so check your local listings.
- Kathy Griffin (Suddenly Susan) - Tune in to see Kathy on a repeat of The Arsenio Hall Show, so check your local listings.
- Busy Philipps (Cougar Town) - Busy appears on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Rachael Harris (Surviving Jack/My Boys/In the Motherhood) - Rachael is a guest on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 3am on BET.
- Brittany Daniel (The Game/That '80s Show) - Brittany chats on a repeat of Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Jennifer Aniston (Friends) - Jennifer shares her fitness secrets on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Anna Chlumsky (Veep) - Anna will be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.