Monday, October 17, 2016
ABC Orders Game Show from Ricky Gervais & New Competition Hosted by Eric Stonestreet; Chris Rock Back with Comedy Specials on Netflix
We told you about ABC ordering The Gong Show from Will Arnett, but now two more competition/game show type shows are coming! ABC has given a series order to Five to Survive. The one-hour game show will feature priceless interactions between funnyman Ricky Gervais and kids who will assist grown-up contestants with answering questions for a chance to win a large cash prize. Gervais teams with Banijay Studios North America to produce. A search for a host is underway. Five to Survive is an original studio-based game show that features one adult contestant who must answer 10 questions correctly to earn the top prize. If they answer incorrectly, the contestant has a chance to be saved by a group of five kids who have been asked the same question. This series will join other ABC primetime game shows such as The Gong Show, Celebrity Family Feud, $100,000 Pyramid, Match Game and To Tell the Truth. ABC also has a Jimmy Kimmel game show in the works titled Big Fan hosted by Andy Richter.
ABC and Mattel Creations, the content creation and distribution division of Mattel, Inc., have partnered to launch a first-of-its kind primetime television series that brings to life the excitement, drama and creativity of the toy invention process in a fast-paced, high-stakes competition format that will entertain viewers of all ages. Co-developed with Hudsun Media and Electus, The Toy Box is set to premiere during the 2016-17 season on the ABC Television Network and will be distributed internationally by Electus International. Hosted by Modern Family's Eric Stonestreet, The Toy Box is the ultimate toy-competition series, providing talented designers with the chance of a lifetime: an opportunity to bring their toy concept to life with industry giant Mattel. The toys - and their inventors - are put through a series of trials and tests before facing the ultimate judges: a panel of no-nonsense, toy-loving kids. Each episode will feature expert toy inventors from around the world as they compete for the opportunity to present their creations in the "The Toy Box" season finale. The winner of the final episode wins the ultimate prize: the opportunity to bring their creation to market, with marketing, design and manufacturing support from Mattel. The winning toy design will be available for purchase at retail as the season finale airs, enabling fans of the show to play with the very product they see come to life on The Toy Box.
Netflix, the world's leading Internet TV network, is bringing its members two brand new comedy specials from one of the funniest and most influential comedians of all time: the one and only Chris Rock. Marking the multiple Emmy Award-winning comedian's return to stand-up after an eight-year absence, Rock will tape two all-new specials that will debut on Netflix around the world. The first show will tape in 2017, following a new world tour being planned now. Much more info is still to come, as this is just the initial announcement. Netflix has rapidly become the home of top original stand-up comedy specials, including the 2016 Emmy-nominated shows from John Mulaney and Patton Oswalt, and recent specials from Cedric the Entertainer, Iliza Shlesinger, Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy, Russell Peters, Ali Wong, Mike Epps, Aziz Ansari, Anjelah Johnson, Bill Burr, Chris Tucker, Demetri Martin, Chelsea Handler, Bo Burnham, Jim Jefferies, David Cross and upcoming specials from Joe Rogan, Dana Carvey, Michael Che, Gabriel Iglesias, Reggie Watts and Colin Quinn (directed by Jerry Seinfeld).
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Sunday, April 30
Bob's Burgers - "Like Gene for Chocolate" (Fox, 7:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Gene learns that the formula for his favorite chocolate has changed, he works with the head of the company in an attempt to remedy the situation. Meanwhile, Bob gets wrapped up in one of Teddy’s less-than-perfect plans.
Bob's Burgers - "Thelma & Louise Except Thelma Is Linda" (Fox, 7:30PM ET/PT)
After Louise gets in trouble at school, Linda is forced to meet with Mr. Frond (guest voice David Herman) and potentially could lose her hard-earned position as the Wagstaff bake sale leader. When she finds out that her daughter was actually trying to help another student, Linda is torn between following school policy or her own moral code.
The Simpsons - "Looking for Mr. Goodbart" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Bart gets in trouble on Grandparents Day at school and is forced to hang out with Skinner’s mother as punishment. After spending time with various grandmas in the neighborhood, he learns the benefits of hanging out with the elderly, but eventually recognizes the dangers of taking advantage of them. Meanwhile, Peekimon Get has taken over the town of Springfield.
Making History - "Night Cream" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
With the ever-present threat of losing tenure looming over him, Chris reaches out to John Hancock and Samuel Adams to help spice things up in the classroom in 2017. Meanwhile, Deb's dream of re-opening Chadwick's ice cream parlor is finally coming to fruition, but Dan has a few marketing ideas of his own.
Family Guy - "The Peter Principal" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Peter becomes the temporary principal at the high school, and Meg uses his new power to get even with her bullies. Meanwhile, Brian and Stewie open a bed & breakfast that quickly turns into a brothel.
The Last Man on Earth - "The Big Day" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Tandy and Gail face off in a major disagreement, on which the whole group must weigh in, and Carol is forced to choose a side. Meanwhile, Melissa, Todd and Erica each have major milestone moments.
Sunday, April 30
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- America Ferrera (Superstore) - America drops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ike Barinholtz (The Mindy Project) - Ike appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Joel McHale (The Great Indoors/Community) - Joel is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jake Johnson (New Girl) - Jake visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Hank Azaria (Brockmire/The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Al Madrigal (About a Boy/Welcome to the Captain/Gary Unmarried) - Al appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Ashton Kutcher (The Ranch/Two and a Half Men/That '70s Show) - Ashton appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Allison teams up with Mario Batali to make a cheesy, decadent Gnocchi Al Telefono and dishes about her new Broadway show on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Charlie Hunnam (Undeclared) - Charlie will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11:15am.
- Nick Robinson (Melissa & Joey) - Nick talks about his new film Everything, Everything on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.
- Jodie Sweetin (Hollywood Darlings/Fuller House/Full House) - Jodie is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.