Wednesday, July 13, 2016
Ensign O'Toole, the short-lived sitcom that aired in the 1962-1963 season is joining the getTV daytime block. It started this week (July 11) and is airing at 7:35 a.m. ET. Dean Jones stars in the titular role, as a fun-loving officer whose shenanigans bring levity to the battleship Appleby, while drawing the ire of Lt. St. John (Jack Mullaney). The series also stars Jack Albertson, Harvey Lembeck, and Beau Bridges in his first major TV role. Notable guests include Dub Taylor, John McGiver, and Soupy Sales. Viewers got a preview of Ensign O'Toole with four classic episodes, airing as part of the network's "Get Lost In TV" block on Wednesday, July 6 at 8pm ET, but now you can watch it weekdays at 7:35am. All 32 episodes will air. Moving on to the 24 Hours of Westerns block (Saturdays from 12pm to Sundays at 12pm), Sundays at 9:30am, another lost gem, drama Father Murphy (1981-1983) is airing. Merlin Olsen poses as a priest to help a teacher (Katharine Cannon) and the young orphans in her care, in this drama created by Michael Landon. Notable guests include Corey Feldman, Christina Applegate, Shannen Doherty, & James Cromwell. Father Murphy will also air as part of getTV's "Get Lost In TV" block tonight (Wednesday, July 13) at 8pm ET.
Another lost gem is airing Sundays at 10:45am, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1982-1983). Based on the popular musical of the same name, this series stars Richard Dean Anderson, Peter Horton, Drake Hogestyn and River Phoenix in his acting debut, as a brothers working to keep their ranch together 10 years after their parent's death. Notable guests include Joaquin Phoenix in his first role, as well as Cameron Mitchell, Eric Stoltz, Charles Napier, & Levon Helm. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers will also air as part of getTV's "Get Lost In TV" block on Wednesday, July 20 at 8pm ET. And finally, Saturdays at 3:15 p.m. & 3:50 p.m. ET, Tombstone Territory (1957-1960) is airing. Pat Conway stars as Sheriff Clay Hollister, a lawman trying to tame the "town too tough to die," with the help of newspaper editor Harris Claibourne (Richard Eastham). Notable guests include Michael Landon, James Coburn, Lon Chaney Jr., Leonard Nimoy, Dyan Cannon, Angie Dickinson, and Lee Van Cleef. Tombstone Territory will air as part of getTV's "Get Lost In TV" block on Wednesday, July 27 at 8pm.
Decades Network, the multicast TV network from Weigel Broadcasting Co. and CBS Television Stations, announced a special full day programming event looking back and remembering the historic 1969 Moon Landing. Airing on Wednesday, July 20, the 47th anniversary of Apollo 11, Decades will present original, historical and compelling programming spotlighting America's 11-year journey that culminated with Neil Armstrong's and Buzz Aldrin's first steps on the lunar surface. The broadcast event begins with a special edition of Through the Decades, the network's original daily program. Hosted by award-winning journalist Bill Kurtis, this 90-minute special Go: The Great Race features original interviews with Astronauts Buzz Aldrin and Jim Lovell, as well as Mercury space program engineers and journalist George Leopold. They recount the 11 years of creativity and commitment through success and tragedy that led to fulfilling President Kennedy's bold promise to "land a man on the moon, and return him safely to Earth."
The full day celebration of the moon landing on Decades continues with The Dick Cavett Show and his 1995 interview with director Ron Howard as they discuss the movie Apollo 13. Next, One Small Step pays tribute to the first man on the moon Neil Armstrong, who narrated his historic feat with the famous words; "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." America's fascination with space in the 1960's was also reflected on popular television shows. Decades presents two imaginative space themed episodes of The Twilight Zone, followed by an episode of the ultimate space exploration TV show Star Trek.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, October 26
The Goldbergs - "Stefan King" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Adam’s love of Stephen King inspires him to try his hand at horror writing. After learning the monster in Adam’s story is based off Beverly, she forces Adam to stay in on Halloween and rewrite it, hoping he depicts her as a better mother. Meanwhile, Erica is desperate to find a date to the costume dance and forces Barry go with her.
Speechless - "H-A-L-- HALLOWEEN" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Jimmy is upset the kids no longer want to participate in the family tradition of dressing up for Halloween. Maya tries to cheer up Jimmy by allowing him to do things he loves by taking things off the family “Dead to Me” list. Meanwhile, Ray recruits Dylan to help work the school’s haunted mansion while Kenneth is scared of losing his job when JJ gets drunk at a party. Even though Maya is furious, she is thrilled to see JJ having a “normal” life.
Modern Family - "Halloween 4: The Revenge of Rod Skyhook" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Luke’s Halloween party isn’t the monster bash he dreamed of and is at risk of having the worst party of the year. Sensing trouble, the rest of the Dunphy’s realize all his party needs is a visit from Rod Skyhook, a little promotion and some adult supervision to get it started. Meanwhile at the Tucker-Pritchett home, Cam faces off with his Halloween nemesis while Lily and Mitchell try to save the day and work to keep him from going to the darkside. Finally, when Jay finds out that Manny is going to a party at the home of an old enemy, he enlists him to deliver a trick he will never forget.
black-ish - "The Purge" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
After Junior embarrasses Dre during a basketball game, Dre decides to remind Junior of his master pranking skills so he’ll never challenge him again. Meanwhile, the neighborhood participates in a “mischief night” during Halloween where petty crimes become legal, and Ruby takes it too far with the kids.
Younger - "P Is for Pancake" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Kelsey dates a seemingly perfect guy, but Liza and Lauren think it’s too soon. At a party of doctors, Josh puts his relationship with Liza under the microscope.
Impastor - "Sins of the Past-or Part 2" (TV Land, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Dora’s and Alexa’s lives are both in jeopardy and Buddy must choose which one to save. Russell and Dora have a falling out. Schmidt is robbed.
You're the Worst - "The Seventh Layer" (FXX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Vernon and Paul take a road trip.
Wednesday, October 26
- Joel McHale (The Great Indoors/Community) - Watch Joel on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Abbi Jacobson (Broad City) - Abbi visits The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. She will also be on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Colin Hanks (Life in Pieces) - Colin appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Colton Dunn (Superstore), Lauren Ash (Superstore/Super Fun Night and Nico Santos (Superstore) - Colton, Lauren and Nico are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Donald Glover (Atlanta/Community) - Donald appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - See what happens when Dr. Oz visits the set of Dr. Ken on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John talks about The Crown on CBS This Morning sometime between 7-9am.
- Boris Kodjoe (The Last Man on Earth/Second Time Around) - Boris joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Issa Rae (Insecure) - Issa is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Colin Hanks (Life in Pieces) - Colin talks about Life in Pieces on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory/Blossom) - Mayim is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Marisa Tomei (A Different World) - Marisa appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Terry is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Betsy Brandt (Life in Pieces/The Michael J. Fox Show) - Betsy talks about Life in PieceS on the AOL Build Show at 12pm.