Wednesday, July 13, 2016
Ensign O'Toole, the short-lived sitcom that aired in the 1962-1963 season is joining the getTV daytime block. It started this week (July 11) and is airing at 7:35 a.m. ET. Dean Jones stars in the titular role, as a fun-loving officer whose shenanigans bring levity to the battleship Appleby, while drawing the ire of Lt. St. John (Jack Mullaney). The series also stars Jack Albertson, Harvey Lembeck, and Beau Bridges in his first major TV role. Notable guests include Dub Taylor, John McGiver, and Soupy Sales. Viewers got a preview of Ensign O'Toole with four classic episodes, airing as part of the network's "Get Lost In TV" block on Wednesday, July 6 at 8pm ET, but now you can watch it weekdays at 7:35am. All 32 episodes will air. Moving on to the 24 Hours of Westerns block (Saturdays from 12pm to Sundays at 12pm), Sundays at 9:30am, another lost gem, drama Father Murphy (1981-1983) is airing. Merlin Olsen poses as a priest to help a teacher (Katharine Cannon) and the young orphans in her care, in this drama created by Michael Landon. Notable guests include Corey Feldman, Christina Applegate, Shannen Doherty, & James Cromwell. Father Murphy will also air as part of getTV's "Get Lost In TV" block tonight (Wednesday, July 13) at 8pm ET.
Another lost gem is airing Sundays at 10:45am, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1982-1983). Based on the popular musical of the same name, this series stars Richard Dean Anderson, Peter Horton, Drake Hogestyn and River Phoenix in his acting debut, as a brothers working to keep their ranch together 10 years after their parent's death. Notable guests include Joaquin Phoenix in his first role, as well as Cameron Mitchell, Eric Stoltz, Charles Napier, & Levon Helm. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers will also air as part of getTV's "Get Lost In TV" block on Wednesday, July 20 at 8pm ET. And finally, Saturdays at 3:15 p.m. & 3:50 p.m. ET, Tombstone Territory (1957-1960) is airing. Pat Conway stars as Sheriff Clay Hollister, a lawman trying to tame the "town too tough to die," with the help of newspaper editor Harris Claibourne (Richard Eastham). Notable guests include Michael Landon, James Coburn, Lon Chaney Jr., Leonard Nimoy, Dyan Cannon, Angie Dickinson, and Lee Van Cleef. Tombstone Territory will air as part of getTV's "Get Lost In TV" block on Wednesday, July 27 at 8pm.
Decades Network, the multicast TV network from Weigel Broadcasting Co. and CBS Television Stations, announced a special full day programming event looking back and remembering the historic 1969 Moon Landing. Airing on Wednesday, July 20, the 47th anniversary of Apollo 11, Decades will present original, historical and compelling programming spotlighting America's 11-year journey that culminated with Neil Armstrong's and Buzz Aldrin's first steps on the lunar surface. The broadcast event begins with a special edition of Through the Decades, the network's original daily program. Hosted by award-winning journalist Bill Kurtis, this 90-minute special Go: The Great Race features original interviews with Astronauts Buzz Aldrin and Jim Lovell, as well as Mercury space program engineers and journalist George Leopold. They recount the 11 years of creativity and commitment through success and tragedy that led to fulfilling President Kennedy's bold promise to "land a man on the moon, and return him safely to Earth."
The full day celebration of the moon landing on Decades continues with The Dick Cavett Show and his 1995 interview with director Ron Howard as they discuss the movie Apollo 13. Next, One Small Step pays tribute to the first man on the moon Neil Armstrong, who narrated his historic feat with the famous words; "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." America's fascination with space in the 1960's was also reflected on popular television shows. Decades presents two imaginative space themed episodes of The Twilight Zone, followed by an episode of the ultimate space exploration TV show Star Trek.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, February 21
The Middle - "Dental Hijinks" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
After Frankie tries to get a stubborn Mike to go see Dr. Goodwin to take care of his toothache, Mike convinces the good doctor to leave his tooth alone and tell Frankie that everything was ok. But the two find themselves fabricating a story that’s so ludicrous that they fear Frankie will figure out the truth. Meanwhile, since they are nearing the end of their senior year at college, Axl, Hutch and Kenny decide it’s time to sell the fabled Winnebago; Sue tries her best to let college golf cart driver Tyler know that she likes him; and Brick attempts to write a historic Scottish rap musical – a la “Hamilton” – focusing on the life of Sergeant Charles Stuart MacKenzie.
American Housewife - "The Man Date" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Greg is delighted to finally have made a friend in Westport, fellow history buff Stan (guest star Timothy Omundson), but Katie isn’t as happy, especially since Stan is married to her nemesis, Chloe Brown Mueller (Jessica St. Clair).
Fresh Off the Boat - "The Gloves Are Off" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Jessica accidentally befriends Marvin’s ex-wife, Sarah (Heather Locklear), and tries to help her and Honey settle their longstanding rift. Meanwhile, Louis and the boys are on a mission to determine Grandma’s true age in hopes of surprising her with a new, free motorized wheelchair.
The Real O'Neals - "The Real Confirmation" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Shannon asks VP Murray to be her godfather leading up to her confirmation, Eileen fears her own relationship with him might be moving too fast. Shannon’s big day also has a surprising effect on Kenny’s relationship when Brett says, “I love you,” sending Kenny into a tailspin. Meanwhile, the return of a hot former babysitter puts Pat and Jimmy at odds when she constantly makes passes at Pat.
New Girl - "Rumsprings" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Jess gets nervous about starting her new position as principal, Nick and Schmidt decide to take her on a relaxing day trip to Solvang, which quickly goes “sideways.” Meanwhile, with Cece’s help, Winston tries to finalize his divorce from Rhonda, but finds that he and Aly are caught in a series of never-ending pranks.
The Mick - "The Baggage" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Mickey’s unwanted suitors team up to thwart her new romance. Meanwhile, Sabrina and Alba teach Ben a lesson in responsibility.
The Detour - "The City" (TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Robin isn't thrilled about Nate's new job in New York City, but the family heads out from Syracuse anyway.
Teachers - "Brokebitch Mountain" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Ms. Feldman can’t make ends meet on her salary and takes a second job. Ms. Watson notices a romantic spark between two of her second grade students. The Teachers take advantage of Principal Pearson.
Tuesday, February 21
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Catch Tom on a repeat of the 2011 Jimmy Kimmel Live: After the Oscars special at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth/The Cleveland Show) - Will visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (The Odd Couple/Community) - Yvette appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Allison Williams (Girls) - Allison talks about Girls and Get Out on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 10am hour. She will also be on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. Finally, she will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Mae Whitman (Arrested Development) - Mae visits LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. She also talks about Rock Dog on the AOL Build Show at 12pm.
- Zach Braff (Scrubs) - Zach guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Jason Jones (The Detour) - Jason talks about The Detour on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 3pm.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi is a guest on the AOL Build Show at 1pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Malin Akerman (Trophy Wife/Sin City Saints) - Malin chats on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Judd Hirsch (Superior Donuts/Dear John/Taxi) and Jermaine Fowler (Superior Donuts) - Judd and Jermaine are guests on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Kym Whitley (Young & Hungry/Animal Practice/Sparks) - Kym and Kim Gravel help a woman snoop through two bachelors' homes in order to choose which she should date on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Ashley Gerasimovich (The Detour) - Ashley is a guest on Cheddar at 12:15pm. Ashley and Liam Carroll will be on Facebook Live on the TBS Facebook account at approx. 4:00pm. Ashley, Liam, Jason Jones and Natalie Zea will be on Facebook live at approx. 8:00PM EST on the official The Detour Facebook page.