Wednesday, July 13, 2016
Ensign O'Toole, the short-lived sitcom that aired in the 1962-1963 season is joining the getTV daytime block. It started this week (July 11) and is airing at 7:35 a.m. ET. Dean Jones stars in the titular role, as a fun-loving officer whose shenanigans bring levity to the battleship Appleby, while drawing the ire of Lt. St. John (Jack Mullaney). The series also stars Jack Albertson, Harvey Lembeck, and Beau Bridges in his first major TV role. Notable guests include Dub Taylor, John McGiver, and Soupy Sales. Viewers got a preview of Ensign O'Toole with four classic episodes, airing as part of the network's "Get Lost In TV" block on Wednesday, July 6 at 8pm ET, but now you can watch it weekdays at 7:35am. All 32 episodes will air. Moving on to the 24 Hours of Westerns block (Saturdays from 12pm to Sundays at 12pm), Sundays at 9:30am, another lost gem, drama Father Murphy (1981-1983) is airing. Merlin Olsen poses as a priest to help a teacher (Katharine Cannon) and the young orphans in her care, in this drama created by Michael Landon. Notable guests include Corey Feldman, Christina Applegate, Shannen Doherty, & James Cromwell. Father Murphy will also air as part of getTV's "Get Lost In TV" block tonight (Wednesday, July 13) at 8pm ET.
Another lost gem is airing Sundays at 10:45am, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1982-1983). Based on the popular musical of the same name, this series stars Richard Dean Anderson, Peter Horton, Drake Hogestyn and River Phoenix in his acting debut, as a brothers working to keep their ranch together 10 years after their parent's death. Notable guests include Joaquin Phoenix in his first role, as well as Cameron Mitchell, Eric Stoltz, Charles Napier, & Levon Helm. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers will also air as part of getTV's "Get Lost In TV" block on Wednesday, July 20 at 8pm ET. And finally, Saturdays at 3:15 p.m. & 3:50 p.m. ET, Tombstone Territory (1957-1960) is airing. Pat Conway stars as Sheriff Clay Hollister, a lawman trying to tame the "town too tough to die," with the help of newspaper editor Harris Claibourne (Richard Eastham). Notable guests include Michael Landon, James Coburn, Lon Chaney Jr., Leonard Nimoy, Dyan Cannon, Angie Dickinson, and Lee Van Cleef. Tombstone Territory will air as part of getTV's "Get Lost In TV" block on Wednesday, July 27 at 8pm.
Decades Network, the multicast TV network from Weigel Broadcasting Co. and CBS Television Stations, announced a special full day programming event looking back and remembering the historic 1969 Moon Landing. Airing on Wednesday, July 20, the 47th anniversary of Apollo 11, Decades will present original, historical and compelling programming spotlighting America's 11-year journey that culminated with Neil Armstrong's and Buzz Aldrin's first steps on the lunar surface. The broadcast event begins with a special edition of Through the Decades, the network's original daily program. Hosted by award-winning journalist Bill Kurtis, this 90-minute special Go: The Great Race features original interviews with Astronauts Buzz Aldrin and Jim Lovell, as well as Mercury space program engineers and journalist George Leopold. They recount the 11 years of creativity and commitment through success and tragedy that led to fulfilling President Kennedy's bold promise to "land a man on the moon, and return him safely to Earth."
The full day celebration of the moon landing on Decades continues with The Dick Cavett Show and his 1995 interview with director Ron Howard as they discuss the movie Apollo 13. Next, One Small Step pays tribute to the first man on the moon Neil Armstrong, who narrated his historic feat with the famous words; "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." America's fascination with space in the 1960's was also reflected on popular television shows. Decades presents two imaginative space themed episodes of The Twilight Zone, followed by an episode of the ultimate space exploration TV show Star Trek.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, January 21
The Thundermans - "Better Off Wed" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The kids learn that Dr. Colosso ruined their parents' wedding years earlier, and want to recreate Hank & Barb's dream day as their anniversary gift. However, Dr. Colosso remains a threat, and they must keep their plans a secret.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "Keeping Up with the Quadashians" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After binge watching their favorite reality TV show, the Quads decide their lives are every bit as "reality TV" worthy, and decide to make a show of their own. Guest Stars: Maddie Ziegler, Mackenzie Ziegler
School of Rock - "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Tomika and Zack work on a love song together, leading to a moment that will change their friendship forever. Summer and Lawrence hang out together for the first time, and Freddy helps Mr. Finn with a problem.
Saturday, January 21
- Phylicia Rashad (The Cosby Show/Cosby) - Phylicia will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Allison on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- William Shatner ($h*! My Dad Says) and Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Arrested Development/Out of Practice) - William and Henry are guests on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jade Catta-Preta (Manhattan Love Story) - Jade is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Wendi McClendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Justina Machado (One Day at a Time) - Justina will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry and Rebecca Romjin talk about Love Locks on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Jerry will also be on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT and on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Retta (Parks and Recreation) - Retta talks about Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.