Tuesday, May 26, 2015
Decades, a new network where entertainment and history come together, launched yesterday and features original series Through the Decades, a daily time capsule showing how television captured historically significant events on that day throughout history. With the day's historical events covered in Through the Decades, a series of films and television programs relating to those events is shown next with commentary on the historical and cultural significance of each. So, there is no set schedule during weekdays as each day will focus on different types of programming. Each weekday starting at 7 AM | 6 C their six-hour daily programming block kicks off with Through the Decades, repeating four times per day. Saturdays and Sundays feature "binge" programming from their library of iconic television series. The first weekend (May 30-31) will have marathons of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, followed by The Beverly Hillbillies (June 6-7) and That Girl (June 13-14). Further binge programming is to be determined.
Back to weekdays, among the shows you'll see pop-up during the first few weeks are some episodes of Hogan's Heroes, The Rat Patrol, I Love Lucy, The Lucy Show, The Doris Day Show, Family Affair, The Guns of Will Sonnett, Daniel Boone, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Petticoat Junction, Bonanza, The Mod Squad, Batman, Naked City, Combat!, Gunsmoke, Car 54 Where Are You?, Love American Style, Hawaii Five-0, The Fugitive, The Saint, Route 66, and Have Gun Will Travel. Keep it right here for continued updates on Decades. In the meantime, find out if you receive the network.
Actress and comedian Anne Meara, who starred as Veronica Rooney in Archie Bunker's Place, has died. She died on May 23 in Manhattan, New York. No cause of death has been announced. Ms. Meara was 85.
Meara met actor-comedian Jerry Stiller in 1953. They were married in 1954. After leaving the improvisational company The Compass Players (which later became The Second City), they formed the comedy team of Stiller and Meara. They were regulars on The Ed Sullivan Show, with over 30 appearances from 1963-1971. They also appeared together on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.
Meara's first starring television role was as Harriet in the 1954 soap opera The Greatest Gift. Her early sitcom guest appearances included The Courtship of Eddie's Father (2 episodes with Jerry), Love, American Style and The Paul Lynde Show. She had a starring role as Mae in the second season of The Corner Bar in 1973. She played Rhoda's friend Sally Gallagher, a divorced airline stewardess, in 7 episodes of the third season of Rhoda in 1976-1977. Meara received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Supporting Actress in 1977. Stiller appeared as her ex-husband, Lloyd Zimmer. Meara made 3 guest appearances in The Love Boat from 1979-1983.
She starred as Veronica Rooney, the bar's wisecracking cook, in the first three seasons of Archie Bunker's Place from 1979-1982. She received Emmy nominations for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series in 1981 and 1982. Stiller appeared in 2 episodes as her ex-husband, Carmine.
Stiller and Meara had their own short-lived sitcom The Stiller and Meara Show in 1986. Meara had a recurring role as Kate Tanner's (Anne Scheeden) mother in 7 episodes of ALF from 1987-1989. She also wrote the episode "Break Up to Make Up" in 1989. Some of her later sitcom guest appearances included Murphy Brown (2 episodes), Will & Grace, Good Morning, Miami, Charlie Lawrence, Sex and the City (4 episodes) and Four Kings. She made her first guest appearance as Mary Finnegan in a 1999 episode of The King of Queens, which reunited her with Jerry. She had a recurring role as Veronica Olchin, Spence's mother and Arthur's wife in the final season, in 9 episodes from 2003-2007.
Meara was also known for her work in dramas. She starred as Kate McShane in the 1975 CBS legal drama Kate McShane. It was the first network series to feature a female lawyer in the lead role. She received an Emmy Nomination for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series for the role in 1975.
She had a recurring role as Erica Kane's maid Peggy Moody in All My Children from 1992-1999. Some of her other television drama guest appearances included Medical Center, Murder, She Wrote (2 episodes), In the Heat of the Night, Homicide: Life on the Street (Emmy-nominated for her role as Donna DiGrazi in 2 episodes), Oz, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (2 episodes) and Mercy. She starred in the 1983 TV movie The Other Woman. She won a Writers Guild Award as a co-writer of the romantic comedy, which also starred Hal Linden.
Survivors include her husband, Jerry; two children, actress Amy and actor and director Ben; and two grandchildren.
The Archive of American Television conducted an extensive interview with her on December 12, 2005.
Stiller and Meara were a great team on and off the screen. They were married for 61 years. That's very rare to see in Hollywood. We thank her for the many laughs she brought us over the years. She will be greatly missed.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, February 23
The Big Bang Theory - "The Comic-Con Conundrum" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT)
With Koothrappali cut off from his father’s fortune, he appoints Sheldon to help him get out of debt. Also, Penny considers joining Leonard at Comic-Con.
The Great Indoors - "Friends Like These" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Jack desperately begs his co-workers to pretend to be his closest friends at a dinner party after his lack of an inner circle begins to concern his girlfriend, Rachel (Maggie Lawson). However, he soon regrets asking for their help after they all behave awkwardly in her presence.
Mom - "Night Swimmin' and an English Muffin" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When Bonnie discovers Adam is still close with his ex-wife, Danielle (Wendie Malick), Christy worries the emotional fallout could jeopardize Bonnie’s sobriety.
Life in Pieces - "Awkward Bra Automated Ordained" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Dinner gets awkward for Jen and Matt when they find themselves alone without Greg and Colleen. Also, Lark accidentally locks out Greg and Jen from the house, prompting Greg to install a complicated home automation system; Heather and Tim try to sneak wine into an ice skating show to get out of paying at the venue; and John and Joan agree to an impromptu wedding after Colleen mentions that she’s an ordained minister.
Superstore - "Wellness Fair" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Amy (America Ferrera) sees Mateo (Nico Santos) out on a secret date with Jeff (recurring guest star Michael Bunin), she ignores Garrett's (Colton Dunn) advice to stay out of it, and ends up throwing multiple relationships - both real and imagined - into chaos. Meanwhile, Glenn (Mark McKinney) resents Jonah (Ben Feldman) for outshining him during Cloud 9's Wellness Fair, and Dina (Lauren Ash) tries to prove that Amy faked an illness.
Powerless - "Emily Dates a Henchman" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After being urged by her team, Emily (Vanessa Hudgens) sets her sights on the dating world but unknowingly falls for one of the Riddler's henchmen (guest star Robert Buckley). Meanwhile, Teddy (Danny Pudi) and Ron (Ron Funches) find a Batman artifact and discover Van's (Alan Tudyk) superhero fantasy. Christina Kirk also stars.
Baskets - "Marthager" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Martha books Chip a gig at a car crash.
Thursday, February 23
- John Travolta (Welcome Back, Kotter) - Catch John on a repeat of the 2015 Jimmy Kimmel Live: After the Oscars special at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation) - Aubrey visits The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Bradley Whitford (Trophy Wife) - Bradley is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Get Out in the 9am hour. He appears on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Allison Williams (Girls) - Allison appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Paul Scheer (The League/Fresh Off the Boat) - Paul visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 4:30pm.
- Rob Huebel (Transparent/Burning Love) - Rob drops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 4:30pm.
- Nick Kroll (The League/Cavemen) - Nick appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jermaine Fowler (Superior Donuts) - Jermaine is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- David Spade (Rules of Enagement/8 Simple Rules/Just Shoot Me!) - David appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Norm Macdonald (The Norm Show/A Minute with Stan Hooper) - Norm is a guest on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Rob Schneider (Real Rob/Rob/Men Behaving Badly) - Rob appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- David Duchovny (Californication) - David stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Mary-Louise Parker (Weeds) - Mary-Louise is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mae Whitman (Arrested Development) - Mae appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly) - Billy joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Holly Robinson Peete (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/For Your Love) - Holly appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.