Thursday, March 05, 2015
Spike TV 2015 Upfront Brings Out Big Stars; Syfy Spring Premieres, Includes Return of Bitten with Laura Vandervoort
Spike TV had its annual upfront and we have some highlights from it. With a series of announcements including a new tagline and logo at an Upfront presentation to advertisers in New York City, Spike took a giant step further toward its mission of attracting a broader, gender-balanced audience. The tagline "Spike: The Ones To Watch" encompasses the network's strategic shift to a general entertainment network delivering compelling original entertainment with an edge and a distinctive point of view. It speaks to the network's bold personalities and a brand pushing the boundaries of the unexpected. With a dynamic multi-platform redesign, Spike's on-air look will reflect the brand's evolution. Among the stars who attended the Upfront presentation were Ben Kingsley, Dwayne Johnson, Jillian Michaels, Adam Carolla, Jon Taffer, Dave Navarro, John Krasinski, Stephen Merchant, LL Cool J & Chrissy Teigen.
Among the announcements Spike made today include: Spike TV has partnered with world-renowned entertainer, Dwayne Johnson and Dany Garcia's $7 Bucks Productions, for a development deal to create and produce compelling and impactful programming for the network. Johnson and Garcia will executive produce shows ranging from big live events, specials, sports and initiatives surrounding our troops and veterans. The goal is to tap into people's humanity and touch lives, inspiring the audience while entertaining them.
Spike TV has partnered with Legendary Pictures to develop an original scripted series, Emergency Broadcast, that features a group of government first responders who confront the planet's most fantastic crises and disasters. Based on an original idea by Thomas Tull, Chairman and CEO of Legendary, the project reteams Legendary with longtime collaborator Max Brooks, the best-selling and critically-acclaimed author (World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, Zombie Survival Guide), who serves as a Consultant on the project.
Spike TV has green lit an additional eight episodes of the highly-anticipated new, original series, Lip Sync Battle. The series is based on the cultural phenomenon of lip sync battling seen by millions on television and online. Featured performers for the new eight episodes include Emily Blunt, Anne Hathaway, Terrence Howard, Taraji P. Henson, Queen Latifah, Justin Bieber, Will Arnett, Alison Brie, Mike Tyson, and Terry Crews.
Syfy announced its spring 2015 premieres, which will include a new series and a sophomore season of Bitten. Highlights include: the premieres of the 13-part, epic mythological drama Olympus (April 2) and ghost-seeking unscripted series Haunting: Australia (March 24); the new season returns of fan favorites Lost Girl (April 17) and Bitten (April 17), and the Original Movie Lake Placid vs Anaconda starring Robert Englund (Nightmare on Elm Street) (April 25) will be among the highlights of Syfy's spring programming slate. Back to Bitten, Season 2 of the popular supernatural thriller kicks off with a special two hour premiere returning Laura Vandervoort as Elena, the world's only female werewolf; Greyston Holt as Elena’s passionate partner Clay Danvers, and Greg Bryk as the Alpha Pack leader Jeremy Danvers. Beginning April 24, Bitten will air Fridays at 9PM, followed by Lost Girl at 10.
As for Olympus, the 13-part mythological drama series takes viewers into the action-packed world of humans, Gods and monsters. Starring Matt Frewer (Max Headroom, Orphan Black), Sonita Henry (Star Trek, The Fifth Element), Cas Anvar (Argo, The Expanse) and Graham Shiels (Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor: Dark World), the gripping series captures the dangerous courage of a few brave men and women who banished the Gods to the realm of the unconscious - a place they called the Underworld or the Kingdom of Hades.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Sunday, April 30
Bob's Burgers - "Like Gene for Chocolate" (Fox, 7:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Gene learns that the formula for his favorite chocolate has changed, he works with the head of the company in an attempt to remedy the situation. Meanwhile, Bob gets wrapped up in one of Teddy’s less-than-perfect plans.
Bob's Burgers - "Thelma & Louise Except Thelma Is Linda" (Fox, 7:30PM ET/PT)
After Louise gets in trouble at school, Linda is forced to meet with Mr. Frond (guest voice David Herman) and potentially could lose her hard-earned position as the Wagstaff bake sale leader. When she finds out that her daughter was actually trying to help another student, Linda is torn between following school policy or her own moral code.
The Simpsons - "Looking for Mr. Goodbart" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Bart gets in trouble on Grandparents Day at school and is forced to hang out with Skinner’s mother as punishment. After spending time with various grandmas in the neighborhood, he learns the benefits of hanging out with the elderly, but eventually recognizes the dangers of taking advantage of them. Meanwhile, Peekimon Get has taken over the town of Springfield.
Making History - "Night Cream" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
With the ever-present threat of losing tenure looming over him, Chris reaches out to John Hancock and Samuel Adams to help spice things up in the classroom in 2017. Meanwhile, Deb's dream of re-opening Chadwick's ice cream parlor is finally coming to fruition, but Dan has a few marketing ideas of his own.
Family Guy - "The Peter Principal" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Peter becomes the temporary principal at the high school, and Meg uses his new power to get even with her bullies. Meanwhile, Brian and Stewie open a bed & breakfast that quickly turns into a brothel.
The Last Man on Earth - "The Big Day" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Tandy and Gail face off in a major disagreement, on which the whole group must weigh in, and Carol is forced to choose a side. Meanwhile, Melissa, Todd and Erica each have major milestone moments.
Sunday, April 30
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- America Ferrera (Superstore) - America drops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ike Barinholtz (The Mindy Project) - Ike appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Joel McHale (The Great Indoors/Community) - Joel is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jake Johnson (New Girl) - Jake visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Hank Azaria (Brockmire/The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Al Madrigal (About a Boy/Welcome to the Captain/Gary Unmarried) - Al appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Ashton Kutcher (The Ranch/Two and a Half Men/That '70s Show) - Ashton appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Allison teams up with Mario Batali to make a cheesy, decadent Gnocchi Al Telefono and dishes about her new Broadway show on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Charlie Hunnam (Undeclared) - Charlie will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11:15am.
- Nick Robinson (Melissa & Joey) - Nick talks about his new film Everything, Everything on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.
- Jodie Sweetin (Hollywood Darlings/Fuller House/Full House) - Jodie is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.