Monday, December 22, 2014
UP TV Acquires Growing Pains for January 2015; USA Network Orders Hacker Drama Starring Christian Slater
UP TV (Uplifting Entertainment) is going to show you that smile again to start off 2015! The cable network formerly known as GMC, has acquired the rights to the '80s sitcom Growing Pains starring Alan Thicke, Joanna Kerns and Kirk Cameron. Growing Pains kicks-off on UP TV with a New Year's Day marathon on Thursday, January 1 from 8am-2pm. There will also be a second marathon on Friday, January 2 from 5pm-9pm. The sitcom will then join the line-up starting Saturday, Jan. 3 airing Saturdays from 1-3pm, weekdays from 5-7pm and Tuesdays in primetime from 9-11pm. The good news doesn't stop there! Beloved sitcom Family Ties will get an timeslot and will now also air weekdays from 4-5pm leading into the weekday run of Growing Pains. The Michael J. Fox sitcom will also still air weeknights from 2-3am. Dramas will air weekdays from 9am-3pm with Heartland, back-to-back Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman, Touched by An Angel and three hours of Judging Amy. The sitcoms will air from 4-7pm, with Supernanny moving to 7pm and 8pm. Primetime will have different programs from 9-11pm, including Growing Pains on Tuesdays. In late night, urban programming will still be airing with an hour each of The Parkers and Moesha beginning at 11pm. Talk show Steve Harvey airs at 1am leading into Family Ties at 2.
Saturdays will still kick-off with Sister, Sister from 8am-10am, followed by Supernanny from 10am-12pm. Encores of the upcoming UP TV original series Bringing Up Bates will air noon leading into Growing Pains from 1-3pm. The Parkers will air starting at 3pm, lasting usually 'til 7 or even 9pm. Sundays will be filled with movies and originals. Back to Growing Pains, this beloved sitcom revolves around the Seaver family of Long Island, New York. Dr. Jason Seaver (Alan Thicke) is a stay-at-home Dad and psychiatrist who is married to reporter Maggie (Joanna Kerns). They are both kept very busy by their three children; troublemaker Mike (Kirk Cameron), brainy Carol (Tracey Gold), and rambunctious Ben (Jeremy Miller).
USA Network announced its first series pick-up from its existing pilot slate for the 2015-2016 season with a 10-episode order for Mr. Robot (wt). The intense hacker drama from Universal Cable Productions is from writer and executive producer Sam Esmail and executive producers Anonymous Content's Steve Golin (True Detective) and Chad Hamilton (Breakup at a Wedding). The series stars Rami Malek (24), Christian Slater (Breaking In), Portia Doubleday (Her), Carly Chaikin (Suburgatory) and Martin Wallstrom (Simple Simon). The pilot was directed by Niels Arden Oplev (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). The series will shoot in New York. The series is a contemporary and culturally resonant drama about a young programmer, Elliot (Malek), who suffers from a debilitating anti-social disorder and decides that he can only connect to people by hacking them. He wields his skills as a weapon to protect the people that he cares about. Elliot will find himself in the intersection between a cyber-security firm he works for and the underworld organizations that are recruiting him to bring down corporate America. Slater stars in the title role of Mr. Robot, a mysterious anarchist who recruits Elliot into an underground hacker group.
Mr. Robot (wt) was the first of five pilots announced by USA Network, followed by Carlton Cuse's Colony, starring Josh Holloway (Lost) and Sarah Wayne Callies (The Walking Dead); Universal Cable Production's Stanistan, starring Jennifer Carpenter (Dexter); Queen of the South, based on the international best seller La Reina del Sur starring Alice Braga, and the most recent pilot pick-up Evil Men, starring Dallas Roberts (Dallas Buyers Club) and Clifton Collins Jr. (Pacific Rim). We'll let you know if these other pilots get picked-up to series like Mr. Robot (wt). And of course when this series premieres in 15-16.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, February 22
The Goldbergs - "So Swayze It's Crazy" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
After Adam sees his friend on television, he asks Beverly for her help to become an actor, so Beverly enlists his friend’s mom Edie, who is a kid talent agent in town. Unfortunately, Edie insists Adam can only get “nerd” roles, so Beverly goes on a quest to make Adam a teenage heartthrob. Meanwhile, Barry decides to embrace the punk lifestyle, and Murray attempts to become more involved in Erica’s life, but it backfires.
Speechless - "O-S-- OSCAR P-A-- PARTY" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When the Dimeos throw their annual Oscar party with other special-needs families, Maya feels threatened by new mom Becca, who seems a little too perfect. Meanwhile, Jimmy encourages the fathers at the party to let loose while Ray tries to impress a girl by pretending to be someone he is not.
Modern Family - "Heavy Is the Head" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Despite their lofty hopes, Phil and Jay’s property investment might turn out to be a bust, forcing Phil to rethink his original dream. Meanwhile, Cam lands in the hospital due to a head injury and refuses to have an MRI thanks to a traumatic incident with a well when he was a child. Determined to finally impress Claire and keep her from re-gifting her birthday present, Gloria surprises her with a day of luxury at the office. However, after Claire had to implement some rather harsh budget cuts at work, a massage at her desk may not be sending the right message.
black-ish - "One Angry Man" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Dre is forced to participate in jury duty after Junior responds to the summons that was thrown away. The case is supposed to be open and shut, but when Dre sees that the defendant is a young African American, he feels a civic responsibility to give him a fair trial. Meanwhile, Bow decides to let the kids swear in the house since they are more open with her that way, but she and Ruby soon regret the decision.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - "The Gang Tends Bar" (FXX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
It's Valentine's Day and Paddy's is packed with customers. Dennis implores the gang to do one day of actual work but everyone else is distracted by a mystery crate Cricket spotted in the alley. Eventually, the gang becomes convinced Dennis really wants them to work on their relationships and everyone shares their grievances without much resolution.
Man Seeking Woman - "Dolphin" (FXX, 10:30PM ET/PT)
When her mom becomes obsessed with Josh's wedding, Liz seeks out her estranged father (Peter Gallagher).
Schitt's Creek - "General Store" (Pop, 8:00PM ET/PT)
David comes up with a new business venture; Alexis adjusts to her first day of school.
Wednesday, February 22
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and George Clooney (The Facts of Life/Roseanne) - Tom and George are guests on a repeat of the 2012 Jimmy Kimmel Live: After the Oscars special at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Ariana Grande (Sam & Cat) - Ariana drops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Kelly Ripa (Hope & Faith) - Kelly is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly)- Billy appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Terry stops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also talks about Ultimate Beastmaster on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 2pm.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Matt Shively (The Real O'Neals/True Jackson, VP) - Matt is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Justin Bartha (The New Normal) - Justin joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth/The Cleveland Show) - Will talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. He will also be on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.
- Rosie Perez (Search Party) - Rosie is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Allison Williams (Girls) - Allison appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (The Odd Couple/Community) - Yvette dishes about the new season of SuperMansion on Crackle on The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Mike Epps (Uncle Buck/Survivor's Remorse) - Mike is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Eva Longoria (Telenovela) - Eva chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Mark Consuelos (Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.