Monday, December 22, 2014
UP TV Acquires Growing Pains for January 2015; USA Network Orders Hacker Drama Starring Christian Slater
UP TV (Uplifting Entertainment) is going to show you that smile again to start off 2015! The cable network formerly known as GMC, has acquired the rights to the '80s sitcom Growing Pains starring Alan Thicke, Joanna Kerns and Kirk Cameron. Growing Pains kicks-off on UP TV with a New Year's Day marathon on Thursday, January 1 from 8am-2pm. There will also be a second marathon on Friday, January 2 from 5pm-9pm. The sitcom will then join the line-up starting Saturday, Jan. 3 airing Saturdays from 1-3pm, weekdays from 5-7pm and Tuesdays in primetime from 9-11pm. The good news doesn't stop there! Beloved sitcom Family Ties will get an timeslot and will now also air weekdays from 4-5pm leading into the weekday run of Growing Pains. The Michael J. Fox sitcom will also still air weeknights from 2-3am. Dramas will air weekdays from 9am-3pm with Heartland, back-to-back Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman, Touched by An Angel and three hours of Judging Amy. The sitcoms will air from 4-7pm, with Supernanny moving to 7pm and 8pm. Primetime will have different programs from 9-11pm, including Growing Pains on Tuesdays. In late night, urban programming will still be airing with an hour each of The Parkers and Moesha beginning at 11pm. Talk show Steve Harvey airs at 1am leading into Family Ties at 2.
Saturdays will still kick-off with Sister, Sister from 8am-10am, followed by Supernanny from 10am-12pm. Encores of the upcoming UP TV original series Bringing Up Bates will air noon leading into Growing Pains from 1-3pm. The Parkers will air starting at 3pm, lasting usually 'til 7 or even 9pm. Sundays will be filled with movies and originals. Back to Growing Pains, this beloved sitcom revolves around the Seaver family of Long Island, New York. Dr. Jason Seaver (Alan Thicke) is a stay-at-home Dad and psychiatrist who is married to reporter Maggie (Joanna Kerns). They are both kept very busy by their three children; troublemaker Mike (Kirk Cameron), brainy Carol (Tracey Gold), and rambunctious Ben (Jeremy Miller).
USA Network announced its first series pick-up from its existing pilot slate for the 2015-2016 season with a 10-episode order for Mr. Robot (wt). The intense hacker drama from Universal Cable Productions is from writer and executive producer Sam Esmail and executive producers Anonymous Content's Steve Golin (True Detective) and Chad Hamilton (Breakup at a Wedding). The series stars Rami Malek (24), Christian Slater (Breaking In), Portia Doubleday (Her), Carly Chaikin (Suburgatory) and Martin Wallstrom (Simple Simon). The pilot was directed by Niels Arden Oplev (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). The series will shoot in New York. The series is a contemporary and culturally resonant drama about a young programmer, Elliot (Malek), who suffers from a debilitating anti-social disorder and decides that he can only connect to people by hacking them. He wields his skills as a weapon to protect the people that he cares about. Elliot will find himself in the intersection between a cyber-security firm he works for and the underworld organizations that are recruiting him to bring down corporate America. Slater stars in the title role of Mr. Robot, a mysterious anarchist who recruits Elliot into an underground hacker group.
Mr. Robot (wt) was the first of five pilots announced by USA Network, followed by Carlton Cuse's Colony, starring Josh Holloway (Lost) and Sarah Wayne Callies (The Walking Dead); Universal Cable Production's Stanistan, starring Jennifer Carpenter (Dexter); Queen of the South, based on the international best seller La Reina del Sur starring Alice Braga, and the most recent pilot pick-up Evil Men, starring Dallas Roberts (Dallas Buyers Club) and Clifton Collins Jr. (Pacific Rim). We'll let you know if these other pilots get picked-up to series like Mr. Robot (wt). And of course when this series premieres in 15-16.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, March 24
Last Man Standing - "Bad Heir Day" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Mike and Vanessa think it’s time for newlyweds Mandy and Kyle to move out, but when Chuck relays some unexpected news about Kyle’s absentee mom, Mike has second thoughts. Meanwhile, Eve tells Ryan that Boyd is making up stories about his Dad’s real job, because he’s embarrassed about being home-schooled.
Dr. Ken - "Clark's Big Surprise" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Ken accidentally finds out that Clark and Connor are planning their surprise wedding, he has to find a way to get everyone to come. But Damona finds out and to get Allison there, she tells her that Ken is going to surprise her by renewing their wedding vows. Guest performances from the Grammy Award-winning band, Train, featuring lead singer Pat Monahan and guitarist Jerry Becker.
Friday, March 24
- Sofia Black-D'Elia (The Mick) - Watch Sofia on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Tracy Morgan (30 Rock/The Tracy Morgan Show) - Tracy is on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Malin Akerman (Trophy Wife/Sin City Saints) - Malin appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Zach Galifianakis (Baskets) - Zach is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Laura Dern (Enlightened) - Laura appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jermaine Fowler (Superior Donuts) - Jermaine is a guest on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Michael Keaton (Working Stiffs/All's Fair) - Michael visits LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben are guests on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Martha Plimpton (The Real O'Neals/Raising Hope) - Martha appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Carl Reiner (The Dick Van Dyke Show) and Rob Reiner (All in the Family) - Carl and Rob are guests on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She also joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) and Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) - Jane and Lily talk about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brooklyn talks about Malibu Country on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Rhea Perlman (Cheers/Kirstie) - Rhea talks about Me and My Grandma on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Emma Roberts (Scream Queens/Unfabulous) - Emma talks about The Blackcoat's Daughter on People Now at 8:30am.
- Josh Henderson (One on One) - Josh is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.