Saturday, December 06, 2014
SitcomsOnline Digest: Scripted Comedy Under Development at TruTV; CBS Eyes End of Two and a Half Men and Beginning of The Odd Couple; Maude Complete Series Coming to DVD
- TruTV is stepping away from reality a bit, as they have ordered their first scripted comedy pilot, Those Who Can't. If the name sounds familiar, that is because it was previously featured as a pilot on Amazon Prime. (Deadline)
- Mark your calendars for February 19, as that is the date that CBS will say goodbye to Two and a Half Men and say hello to their reboot of The Odd Couple starring Matthew Perry and Thomas Lennon. (Variety)
- Marry Me hasn't exactly been a a huge success story for NBC, but Sony is sure that it will be in other countries, as they have already licensed the comedy to air in 74 territories representing six continents. (CBS News)
- With so many other remakes of classic series, why not Route 66? That is another idea being thrown out there now. (TV Guide)
- It looks as if the final season of Parks & Recreation is going to be more of a "burn off" than a "send off," as NBC has scheduled it to air two new episodes each week on a Tuesday night for seven weeks rather than a more traditional schedule starting January 13. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- We mentioned last week that Mill Creek would be re-releasing Maude - The Complete First Season on February 3, but the bigger news is from Shout! Factory, as they will be releasing Maude - The Complete Series on March 17.
- Shout! is also bringing WKRP in Cincinnati to individual season releases, beginning with WKRP in Cincinnati - Season One and WKRP in Cincinnati - Season Two on March 17.
- Shout! will be wrapping up another series on March 10 with Quincy, M.E. - The Final Season.
- Warner Home Video released Batman - The Complete Television Series (DVD/Blu-ray) last month, but there were some minor issues with a few of the episodes. TVShowsOnDVD.com has information from the studio regarding a disc replacement program.
DECEMBER 9 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- Family Guy - Volume 13
- The Jeffersons - The Complete Series (DVD, $229.99): Fans of the classic series will finally get to "move on up" with this "deee-luxe set" from Shout! Factory.
- Mister Ed - The Complete Series (DVD, $139.99): The classic sitcom about a talking horse is completed on DVD with this release.
- Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series (DVD, $129.99): The classic Robin Williams sitcom is finally wrapped up on DVD with this release (also available is Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season).
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Sunday, October 23
The Simpsons - "Treehouse of Horror XXVI" (Fox, 7:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
In an encore of last season’s Halloween episode, Sideshow Bob finally kills Bart, only to reanimate him; Homer wakes up with short-term memory loss; and Lisa, Bart, and Milhouse get super powers from radiation.
Bob's Burgers - "Teen-a-Witch" (Fox, 7:30PM ET/PT)
With Halloween quickly approaching, Tina reveals her brilliant idea that will finally win her first place in the annual costume contest. When Tammy steals her idea, Tina is forced to seek the help of Mr. Ambrose, who leads her to alternate and other-worldly methods of winning. Meanwhile, Bob is on a mission to figure out who is stealing his perfectly crafted pumpkins.
The Simpsons - "Trust But Clarify" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Lisa and Bart investigate Krusty’s suspicious new “Krustaceans” candy. Meanwhile, Homer wants a promotion at the nuclear plant and asks Marge to help him dress the part, and news anchor Kent Brockman struggles to find his feet in the changing media world.
Son of Zorn - "A Taste of Zephyria" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After learning how Zephyria is depicted in the media, Zorn attempts to teach Alan about his culture. Meanwhile, Edie wages war with her new neighbors over their talking garden gnome.
Family Guy - "Inside Family Guy" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
FAMILY GUY takes viewers behind the scenes of a regular “FAMILY GUY” production week, with James Woods as the guide. See the ins-and-outs of what goes into the making of a “FAMILY GUY” episode and watch the drama unfold as Peter is replaced and ends up in the office of Fox Television Group Chairmen and CEOs Dana Walden and Gary Newman to pitch his very own new series.
The Last Man on Earth - "Five Hoda Kotbs" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
A post-apocalyptic road trip has everyone at war with each other and Gail is really pushed to her breaking point.
Bizaardvark - "Spoiler Alert: Belissa Returns" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Paige and Frankie hit a writing slump and other bad things start happening to them, Paige begins to think they are cursed; Amelia and Dirk are at odds when the lifestyle Diva declutters the Dare Lair.
Sunday, October 23
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Catch Patti on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Ricky Gervais (The Office) - Watch Ricky on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Inferno on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jameela Jamil (The Good Place) - Jameela appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Aya Cash (You're the Worst) - Aya talks about You're the Worst on the AOL Build ShoW at 2pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 12:30pm.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Good Girls Revolt on People Now at 8:30am.
- James Brolin (Life in Pieces) - James is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.