Wednesday, November 12, 2014
Fox Flips Sunday Comedies 'Burgers' & 'Mulaney'; Remembering Carol Ann Susi, Mrs. Wolowitz of The Big Bang Theory
Struggling sitcom Mulaney is going to move to an earlier time period of 7:30pm, while animated comedy Bob's Burgers will get the coveted post-Family Guy 9:30pm time period. Bob's Burgers will move into the 9:30pm time period effective immediately (Sunday, Nov. 16), but due to the preceding NFL double-header and post-games coverage that airs until 8:00 PM ET, Mulaney will not air this coming Sunday. In addition, local programming will air until 8:00 PM on the West Coast this Sunday so Fox will not have any primetime programs in the 7pm hour this Sunday. Beginning Sunday, Nov. 23, Mulaney moves to its new time slot of 7:30PM ET/PT. The sitcom has struggled badly in the ratings and can't hold on to much of its lead-in's ratings. From Emmy Award-winning writer and comedian John Mulaney (Saturday Night Live) comes Mulaney, a multi-camera ensemble comedy series about a rising stand-up comic trying to take his career to the next level and the friends and mentors who lift him up, hold him back and push him around. The rest of the cast includes Elliott Gould, Martin Short, Nasim Pedrad, Seaton Smith and Zack Pearlman.
Carol Ann Susi, who was best known for providing the voice of the unseen Mrs. Wolowitz on The Big Bang Theory, has died. She died of cancer on November 11 in Los Angeles, California. Ms. Susi was 62.
Susi provided the voice of Mrs. Debbie Wolowitz, the mother of Howard (Simon Helberg), in around 40 episodes of The Big Bang Theory. She first did the voice in "The Dumpling Paradox" in the first season on November 5, 2007. Her character was known for her raspy voice. She would often talk to Howard off-screen by yelling at him from another room.
Susi's sitcom guest appearances included My Sister Sam, Who's the Boss?, Growing Pains, Night Court, Murphy Brown, Head of the Class, Cheers, Doogie Howser, M.D., Seinfeld, A Different World, Mad About You, Blossom, Married... with Children, Something So Right, Just Shoot Me!, Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, Becker, The Drew Carey Show, The King of Queens, Out of Practice and That '70s Show.
She made her first television appearance as Monique Marmelstein, Kolchak's secretary, in three episodes of Kolchak: The Night Stalker in 1974. Some of her other drama guest appearances included McMillan & Wife, Simon & Simon, Jake and the Fatman, NYPD Blue, ER, Six Feet Under, Ugly Betty and Grey's Anatomy. Her film credits included The Secret of My Success, My Blue Heaven, Death Becomes Her, Cats & Dogs and Just Go with It.
Survivors include her brother Michael and his wife Connie.
She was hilarious and memorable on The Big Bang Theory. Hopefully they will dedicate an episode to her. Her appearance as George's bad date in "The Boyfriend" on Seinfeld was also very funny. We thank her for the laughter she brought us. She will be deeply missed.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, December 8
The Big Bang Theory - "The Military Miniaturization" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Colonel Williams (Dean Norris), an Air Force representative from the Department of Material Command sits down to talk with Wolowitz.
The Great Indoors - "@Emma" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Emma quits after being turned down for a raise, Jack and Roland become the magazine’s newest and worst ever social media managers. Also, in a misguided attempt to boost business, Eddie re-brands his bar as “magic-themed.”
Mom - "Cornbread and a Cashmere Onesie" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Christy and Bonnie worry about Jill after her cry for help on the anniversary of her mother’s suicide.
Life in Pieces - "Swim Survivor Zen Talk" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When John decides to try out for “Survivor,” Tim gets jealous and attempts to undermine his audition tape. Also, Colleen confesses she can’t swim when she and Matt discuss Hawaii as a honeymoon destination; Jen pretends to get hooked on meditation so she can use the time to play cell phone games; and Heather gives Sophia the “sex” talk. “Survivor” host Jeff Probst guest stars as himself.
Thursday, December 8
- Jennifer Aniston (Friends) - Catch Jennifer on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Lola Kirke (Mozart in the Jungle) - Lola is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Emeril Lagasse (Emeril) - Emeril guest co-hosts Rachael Ray and makes sausage-stuffed mushrooms, so check your local listings.
- Jodie Sweetin (Fuller House/Full House) and Andrea Barber (Fuller House/Full House) - Jodie and Andrea chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. Jodie joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Judah Friedlander (30 Rock) - Judah is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Lori Loughlin (Fuller House/Full House) - Lori is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT. She also talks about what to expect from Season 2 of Fuller House on People Now at 8:30am.
- Scott Patterson (Aliens in America) - Scott talks about Luke and Lorelai’s wedding scene from Gilmore Girls – and if he thinks the two will ever have a baby on People Now at 8:30am.
- Josh Radnor (How I Met Your Mother) - Josh is a guest on the AOL Build Show at 12pm.
- Emmanuelle Chriqui (Entourage) - Emanuelle appears the AOL Build Show 3:45pm.
- Gael Garcia Bernal (Mozart in the Jungle) - Gael is a guest on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Will appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.