Wednesday, November 12, 2014
Fox Flips Sunday Comedies 'Burgers' & 'Mulaney'; Remembering Carol Ann Susi, Mrs. Wolowitz of The Big Bang Theory
Struggling sitcom Mulaney is going to move to an earlier time period of 7:30pm, while animated comedy Bob's Burgers will get the coveted post-Family Guy 9:30pm time period. Bob's Burgers will move into the 9:30pm time period effective immediately (Sunday, Nov. 16), but due to the preceding NFL double-header and post-games coverage that airs until 8:00 PM ET, Mulaney will not air this coming Sunday. In addition, local programming will air until 8:00 PM on the West Coast this Sunday so Fox will not have any primetime programs in the 7pm hour this Sunday. Beginning Sunday, Nov. 23, Mulaney moves to its new time slot of 7:30PM ET/PT. The sitcom has struggled badly in the ratings and can't hold on to much of its lead-in's ratings. From Emmy Award-winning writer and comedian John Mulaney (Saturday Night Live) comes Mulaney, a multi-camera ensemble comedy series about a rising stand-up comic trying to take his career to the next level and the friends and mentors who lift him up, hold him back and push him around. The rest of the cast includes Elliott Gould, Martin Short, Nasim Pedrad, Seaton Smith and Zack Pearlman.
Carol Ann Susi, who was best known for providing the voice of the unseen Mrs. Wolowitz on The Big Bang Theory, has died. She died of cancer on November 11 in Los Angeles, California. Ms. Susi was 62.
Susi provided the voice of Mrs. Debbie Wolowitz, the mother of Howard (Simon Helberg), in around 40 episodes of The Big Bang Theory. She first did the voice in "The Dumpling Paradox" in the first season on November 5, 2007. Her character was known for her raspy voice. She would often talk to Howard off-screen by yelling at him from another room.
Susi's sitcom guest appearances included My Sister Sam, Who's the Boss?, Growing Pains, Night Court, Murphy Brown, Head of the Class, Cheers, Doogie Howser, M.D., Seinfeld, A Different World, Mad About You, Blossom, Married... with Children, Something So Right, Just Shoot Me!, Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, Becker, The Drew Carey Show, The King of Queens, Out of Practice and That '70s Show.
She made her first television appearance as Monique Marmelstein, Kolchak's secretary, in three episodes of Kolchak: The Night Stalker in 1974. Some of her other drama guest appearances included McMillan & Wife, Simon & Simon, Jake and the Fatman, NYPD Blue, ER, Six Feet Under, Ugly Betty and Grey's Anatomy. Her film credits included The Secret of My Success, My Blue Heaven, Death Becomes Her, Cats & Dogs and Just Go with It.
Survivors include her brother Michael and his wife Connie.
She was hilarious and memorable on The Big Bang Theory. Hopefully they will dedicate an episode to her. Her appearance as George's bad date in "The Boyfriend" on Seinfeld was also very funny. We thank her for the laughter she brought us. She will be deeply missed.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, April 28
Stuck in the Middle - "Stuck with a Boy Genius" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Harley, Rachel, Georgie and Ethan attend their school spring formal dance, while Lewie and Beast camp out at home in the backyard.
Andi Mack - "It's Not About You" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Andi's frustration boils over when she discovers that Buffy has secretly been confiding in Bex instead of her; Cyrus double-dates with Jonah Beck, Amber and her friend Iris.
Friday, April 28
- Gabourey Sidibe (The Big C) - Watch Gabourey on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short Show) - Martin stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Britt Robertson (Girlboss) - Britt is a guest on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Anna Baryshnikov (Superior Donuts) - Anna is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) - Alec is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Laura Dern (Enlightened), Joely Fisher (Ellen/'Til Death), Clea Lewis (Ellen/Flying Blind) and David Anthony Higgins (Ellen/Malcolm in the Middle/Big Time Rush) - The Ellen DeGeneres Show celebrates the 20th Anniversary of the Ellen coming out episode, so check your local listings.
- Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) - Alec talks about Donald Trump, too much alcohol and the thing that saved his life on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Courting Alex/Accidentally on Purpose/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. She also dishes about Imaginary Mary on The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Kathryn Hahn (Happyish/Transparent/Free Agents) - Kathryn is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.