Wednesday, November 12, 2014
Fox Flips Sunday Comedies 'Burgers' & 'Mulaney'; Remembering Carol Ann Susi, Mrs. Wolowitz of The Big Bang Theory
Struggling sitcom Mulaney is going to move to an earlier time period of 7:30pm, while animated comedy Bob's Burgers will get the coveted post-Family Guy 9:30pm time period. Bob's Burgers will move into the 9:30pm time period effective immediately (Sunday, Nov. 16), but due to the preceding NFL double-header and post-games coverage that airs until 8:00 PM ET, Mulaney will not air this coming Sunday. In addition, local programming will air until 8:00 PM on the West Coast this Sunday so Fox will not have any primetime programs in the 7pm hour this Sunday. Beginning Sunday, Nov. 23, Mulaney moves to its new time slot of 7:30PM ET/PT. The sitcom has struggled badly in the ratings and can't hold on to much of its lead-in's ratings. From Emmy Award-winning writer and comedian John Mulaney (Saturday Night Live) comes Mulaney, a multi-camera ensemble comedy series about a rising stand-up comic trying to take his career to the next level and the friends and mentors who lift him up, hold him back and push him around. The rest of the cast includes Elliott Gould, Martin Short, Nasim Pedrad, Seaton Smith and Zack Pearlman.
Carol Ann Susi, who was best known for providing the voice of the unseen Mrs. Wolowitz on The Big Bang Theory, has died. She died of cancer on November 11 in Los Angeles, California. Ms. Susi was 62.
Susi provided the voice of Mrs. Debbie Wolowitz, the mother of Howard (Simon Helberg), in around 40 episodes of The Big Bang Theory. She first did the voice in "The Dumpling Paradox" in the first season on November 5, 2007. Her character was known for her raspy voice. She would often talk to Howard off-screen by yelling at him from another room.
Susi's sitcom guest appearances included My Sister Sam, Who's the Boss?, Growing Pains, Night Court, Murphy Brown, Head of the Class, Cheers, Doogie Howser, M.D., Seinfeld, A Different World, Mad About You, Blossom, Married... with Children, Something So Right, Just Shoot Me!, Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, Becker, The Drew Carey Show, The King of Queens, Out of Practice and That '70s Show.
She made her first television appearance as Monique Marmelstein, Kolchak's secretary, in three episodes of Kolchak: The Night Stalker in 1974. Some of her other drama guest appearances included McMillan & Wife, Simon & Simon, Jake and the Fatman, NYPD Blue, ER, Six Feet Under, Ugly Betty and Grey's Anatomy. Her film credits included The Secret of My Success, My Blue Heaven, Death Becomes Her, Cats & Dogs and Just Go with It.
Survivors include her brother Michael and his wife Connie.
She was hilarious and memorable on The Big Bang Theory. Hopefully they will dedicate an episode to her. Her appearance as George's bad date in "The Boyfriend" on Seinfeld was also very funny. We thank her for the laughter she brought us. She will be deeply missed.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, March 24
Last Man Standing - "Bad Heir Day" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Mike and Vanessa think it’s time for newlyweds Mandy and Kyle to move out, but when Chuck relays some unexpected news about Kyle’s absentee mom, Mike has second thoughts. Meanwhile, Eve tells Ryan that Boyd is making up stories about his Dad’s real job, because he’s embarrassed about being home-schooled.
Dr. Ken - "Clark's Big Surprise" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Ken accidentally finds out that Clark and Connor are planning their surprise wedding, he has to find a way to get everyone to come. But Damona finds out and to get Allison there, she tells her that Ken is going to surprise her by renewing their wedding vows. Guest performances from the Grammy Award-winning band, Train, featuring lead singer Pat Monahan and guitarist Jerry Becker.
Friday, March 24
- Sofia Black-D'Elia (The Mick) - Watch Sofia on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Tracy Morgan (30 Rock/The Tracy Morgan Show) - Tracy is on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Malin Akerman (Trophy Wife/Sin City Saints) - Malin appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Zach Galifianakis (Baskets) - Zach is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Laura Dern (Enlightened) - Laura appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jermaine Fowler (Superior Donuts) - Jermaine is a guest on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Michael Keaton (Working Stiffs/All's Fair) - Michael visits LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben are guests on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Martha Plimpton (The Real O'Neals/Raising Hope) - Martha appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Carl Reiner (The Dick Van Dyke Show) and Rob Reiner (All in the Family) - Carl and Rob are guests on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She also joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) and Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) - Jane and Lily talk about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brooklyn talks about Malibu Country on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Rhea Perlman (Cheers/Kirstie) - Rhea talks about Me and My Grandma on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Emma Roberts (Scream Queens/Unfabulous) - Emma talks about The Blackcoat's Daughter on People Now at 8:30am.
- Josh Henderson (One on One) - Josh is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.