Wednesday, November 12, 2014
Fox Flips Sunday Comedies 'Burgers' & 'Mulaney'; Remembering Carol Ann Susi, Mrs. Wolowitz of The Big Bang Theory
Struggling sitcom Mulaney is going to move to an earlier time period of 7:30pm, while animated comedy Bob's Burgers will get the coveted post-Family Guy 9:30pm time period. Bob's Burgers will move into the 9:30pm time period effective immediately (Sunday, Nov. 16), but due to the preceding NFL double-header and post-games coverage that airs until 8:00 PM ET, Mulaney will not air this coming Sunday. In addition, local programming will air until 8:00 PM on the West Coast this Sunday so Fox will not have any primetime programs in the 7pm hour this Sunday. Beginning Sunday, Nov. 23, Mulaney moves to its new time slot of 7:30PM ET/PT. The sitcom has struggled badly in the ratings and can't hold on to much of its lead-in's ratings. From Emmy Award-winning writer and comedian John Mulaney (Saturday Night Live) comes Mulaney, a multi-camera ensemble comedy series about a rising stand-up comic trying to take his career to the next level and the friends and mentors who lift him up, hold him back and push him around. The rest of the cast includes Elliott Gould, Martin Short, Nasim Pedrad, Seaton Smith and Zack Pearlman.
Carol Ann Susi, who was best known for providing the voice of the unseen Mrs. Wolowitz on The Big Bang Theory, has died. She died of cancer on November 11 in Los Angeles, California. Ms. Susi was 62.
Susi provided the voice of Mrs. Debbie Wolowitz, the mother of Howard (Simon Helberg), in around 40 episodes of The Big Bang Theory. She first did the voice in "The Dumpling Paradox" in the first season on November 5, 2007. Her character was known for her raspy voice. She would often talk to Howard off-screen by yelling at him from another room.
Susi's sitcom guest appearances included My Sister Sam, Who's the Boss?, Growing Pains, Night Court, Murphy Brown, Head of the Class, Cheers, Doogie Howser, M.D., Seinfeld, A Different World, Mad About You, Blossom, Married... with Children, Something So Right, Just Shoot Me!, Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, Becker, The Drew Carey Show, The King of Queens, Out of Practice and That '70s Show.
She made her first television appearance as Monique Marmelstein, Kolchak's secretary, in three episodes of Kolchak: The Night Stalker in 1974. Some of her other drama guest appearances included McMillan & Wife, Simon & Simon, Jake and the Fatman, NYPD Blue, ER, Six Feet Under, Ugly Betty and Grey's Anatomy. Her film credits included The Secret of My Success, My Blue Heaven, Death Becomes Her, Cats & Dogs and Just Go with It.
Survivors include her brother Michael and his wife Connie.
She was hilarious and memorable on The Big Bang Theory. Hopefully they will dedicate an episode to her. Her appearance as George's bad date in "The Boyfriend" on Seinfeld was also very funny. We thank her for the laughter she brought us. She will be deeply missed.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, September 27
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "Coral Palms Pt. 2" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
After Jimmy “The Butcher” Figgis sees Jake and Holt’s viral video, the two begin plotting their attack. However, when caught red-handed, the- are forced to experience the other side of the interrogation table. Back at the precinct, a questionable new Captain (guest star Ken Marino, “Childrens Hospital”) takes over.
New Girl - "Hubbedy Bubby" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Jess and Cece jump on the campaign trail and make a bet with a disbelieving Schmidt that they can recruit voters for the upcoming Presidential election. Meanwhile, Winston teaches Nick about modern phone sex.
Atlanta - "Nobody Beats the Biebs" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Ayyye, okay! We got celebs in the building balling for the kids. I love me some Justin Bieber. Man, Paper Boi stay hating tho haha.
In the Cut - "Whose Is It" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Jay finds a positive pregnancy test.
Tuesday, September 27
- J.K Simmons (Growing Up Fisher/Family Tools) - Catch J.K. on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Sutton Foster (Younger) - Sutton appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. She joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Allison is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS. She will also be on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Kristin Chenoweth (Kristin) - Kristin performs for the audience on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Gabourey Sidibe (The Big C) - Gabourey visits Harry, so check your local listings.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Cheryl Hines (Son of Zorn/Suburgatory/Curb Your Enthusiasm) - Cheryl is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom talks about Hidden Heroes on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Jennifer Esposito (Samantha Who?/Spin City) - Jennifer is a guest on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Wilmer Valderrama (That '70s Show) - Wilmer appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Melissa Joan Hart (Melissa & Joey/Sabrina, the Teenage Witch/Clarissa Explains It All) - Melissa is a guest on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.
- Michael Rosenbaum (Impastor) - Michael appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC. He will also be on Good Morning Football on NFL Network sometime between 7-10am.