Saturday, September 20, 2014
SitcomsOnline Digest: NBC Looking to Make a Problem Child Series?; Jeffersons, WKRP, and Facts of Life DVD Updates
- NBC, which isn't shy about reviving movies that are decades old as TV series (consider Parenthood), is now looking to revive the 1990 movie Problem Child (which starred John Ritter and Amy Yasbeck as a couple who adopted a child who was nothing but trouble) as a sitcom. (Hollywood Reporter)
- Mike Scully and Julie Scully, both of whom have a made a name for themselves with their behind the scenes roles on The Simpsons, are looking to adapt a Mexican sitcom to America that sounds a lot like a modern update on The Brady Bunch or Step by Step. (Deadline)
- Simpsons executive producer Al Jean has made it clear that a character is going to die this season, and the character will "stay dead" when that happens. (LA Times)
- In case you missed it, Groundskeeper Willie of The Simpsons decided to weigh in on the proposal for Scottish independence this week. (Washington Post)
- Theodore J. Flicker isn't a name that is well-known to many TV fans, but he was a co-creator and producer of Barney Miller, and he also died this week at the age of 84. (Chicago Tribune)
- Friends is turning 20 and The Cosby Show is turning 30, and both are ripe for an anniversary marathon over the next few days. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- One of the biggest releases of the year is certain to be the release of The Jeffersons - The Complete Series, but it gets even better as the special features have been revealed. These include the four episodes of spinoff Checking In and an episode of the first episode of E/R, which featured Sherman Hemsley as George Jefferson.
- The list of music to be included on the release of WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series has been released, and it looks like an impressive list with most of the original music intact. So far, there hasn't been an official list of what is missing, though some of the artists (not an exhaustive list) missing from the list that had music one the show include Pink Floyd, The Eagles, The Pointer Sisters, Talking Heads, Devo, The Beatles, James Brown, and Barry Manilow. However, this list is rather short compared to the list of artists included, and we hope to have a through update on this once the set is released.
- The Facts of Life - The Complete Series now has a release date set for January 13, but it will ship on December 16 if you order it directly from Shout! Factory, just in time for Christmas.
SEPTEMBER 23 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One (DVD, $44.98): The debut season of the Fox sitcom arrives on DVD.
- How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season (DVD, $29.98): It's the end of an era as the final season of this sitcom arrives on DVD; complete series also available.
- Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season (DVD, $29.98): For those who skipped on StarVista's complete series release and collected the seasons one at a time, this release should finish their collection. A retail complete series release also arrives.
- Modern Family - The Fifth Season (DVD, $39.98): The fifth season of this series arrives on DVD, though this time, no Blu-ray release is being made available.
- Mom - The Complete First Season (DVD, $44.98): The first season of this CBS series arrives on DVD.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, January 21
The Thundermans - "Better Off Wed" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The kids learn that Dr. Colosso ruined their parents' wedding years earlier, and want to recreate Hank & Barb's dream day as their anniversary gift. However, Dr. Colosso remains a threat, and they must keep their plans a secret.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "Keeping Up with the Quadashians" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After binge watching their favorite reality TV show, the Quads decide their lives are every bit as "reality TV" worthy, and decide to make a show of their own. Guest Stars: Maddie Ziegler, Mackenzie Ziegler
School of Rock - "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Tomika and Zack work on a love song together, leading to a moment that will change their friendship forever. Summer and Lawrence hang out together for the first time, and Freddy helps Mr. Finn with a problem.
Saturday, January 21
- Phylicia Rashad (The Cosby Show/Cosby) - Phylicia will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Allison on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- William Shatner ($h*! My Dad Says) and Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Arrested Development/Out of Practice) - William and Henry are guests on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jade Catta-Preta (Manhattan Love Story) - Jade is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Wendi McClendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Justina Machado (One Day at a Time) - Justina will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry and Rebecca Romjin talk about Love Locks on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Jerry will also be on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT and on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Retta (Parks and Recreation) - Retta talks about Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.