Saturday, September 20, 2014
SitcomsOnline Digest: NBC Looking to Make a Problem Child Series?; Jeffersons, WKRP, and Facts of Life DVD Updates
- NBC, which isn't shy about reviving movies that are decades old as TV series (consider Parenthood), is now looking to revive the 1990 movie Problem Child (which starred John Ritter and Amy Yasbeck as a couple who adopted a child who was nothing but trouble) as a sitcom. (Hollywood Reporter)
- Mike Scully and Julie Scully, both of whom have a made a name for themselves with their behind the scenes roles on The Simpsons, are looking to adapt a Mexican sitcom to America that sounds a lot like a modern update on The Brady Bunch or Step by Step. (Deadline)
- Simpsons executive producer Al Jean has made it clear that a character is going to die this season, and the character will "stay dead" when that happens. (LA Times)
- In case you missed it, Groundskeeper Willie of The Simpsons decided to weigh in on the proposal for Scottish independence this week. (Washington Post)
- Theodore J. Flicker isn't a name that is well-known to many TV fans, but he was a co-creator and producer of Barney Miller, and he also died this week at the age of 84. (Chicago Tribune)
- Friends is turning 20 and The Cosby Show is turning 30, and both are ripe for an anniversary marathon over the next few days. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- One of the biggest releases of the year is certain to be the release of The Jeffersons - The Complete Series, but it gets even better as the special features have been revealed. These include the four episodes of spinoff Checking In and an episode of the first episode of E/R, which featured Sherman Hemsley as George Jefferson.
- The list of music to be included on the release of WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series has been released, and it looks like an impressive list with most of the original music intact. So far, there hasn't been an official list of what is missing, though some of the artists (not an exhaustive list) missing from the list that had music one the show include Pink Floyd, The Eagles, The Pointer Sisters, Talking Heads, Devo, The Beatles, James Brown, and Barry Manilow. However, this list is rather short compared to the list of artists included, and we hope to have a through update on this once the set is released.
- The Facts of Life - The Complete Series now has a release date set for January 13, but it will ship on December 16 if you order it directly from Shout! Factory, just in time for Christmas.
SEPTEMBER 23 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One (DVD, $44.98): The debut season of the Fox sitcom arrives on DVD.
- How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season (DVD, $29.98): It's the end of an era as the final season of this sitcom arrives on DVD; complete series also available.
- Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season (DVD, $29.98): For those who skipped on StarVista's complete series release and collected the seasons one at a time, this release should finish their collection. A retail complete series release also arrives.
- Modern Family - The Fifth Season (DVD, $39.98): The fifth season of this series arrives on DVD, though this time, no Blu-ray release is being made available.
- Mom - The Complete First Season (DVD, $44.98): The first season of this CBS series arrives on DVD.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, March 25
Henry Danger - "Gas or Fail" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Captain Man finds himself trapped underground, Henry must devise a way to sneak out of his school's standardized testing to save Ray.
Game Shakers - "Llama Llama Spit Spit" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After the Game Shakers get kicked out of Fooders to make room for a guest who has his photo on the wall, Babe becomes determined to get their own photo up using any means necessary.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "To Be Invited or Not to Be" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
The quads make a new friend, an amazing inventor, but when not all of them get invited back to hang out again, they start to wonder why.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Better Late Than Never" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
A missed call leaves Danny and his family in a bad place.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Make Up or Make Out" (OWN, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Still upset with his friends, Danny takes the advice of his family.
Sunday, March 26
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Catch Sanaa on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Richard Dreyfuss (Your Family or Mine) - Richard appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) and Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) - Lily and Jane are guests on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. They also chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Rachel Dratch (Imaginary Mary) - Rachel is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Pete Holmes (Crashing) - Pete stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi appears on a repeat of Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mark Consuelos (Alpha House/Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tahj Mowry, Derek Theler and Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Baby Daddy) - Tahj, Derek and Jean-Luc are guests on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Vanessa Bell Calloway (Rhythm & Blues) - Vanessa is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- June Diane Raphael (Grace and Frankie) - June talks about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben talk TV Land's Nobodies on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brookyln stops by People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia opens up about her favorite part of being in the 50 Shades movies on People Now at 8:30am. \
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee dishes about her Golden Globe win on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.