Saturday, September 20, 2014
SitcomsOnline Digest: NBC Looking to Make a Problem Child Series?; Jeffersons, WKRP, and Facts of Life DVD Updates
- NBC, which isn't shy about reviving movies that are decades old as TV series (consider Parenthood), is now looking to revive the 1990 movie Problem Child (which starred John Ritter and Amy Yasbeck as a couple who adopted a child who was nothing but trouble) as a sitcom. (Hollywood Reporter)
- Mike Scully and Julie Scully, both of whom have a made a name for themselves with their behind the scenes roles on The Simpsons, are looking to adapt a Mexican sitcom to America that sounds a lot like a modern update on The Brady Bunch or Step by Step. (Deadline)
- Simpsons executive producer Al Jean has made it clear that a character is going to die this season, and the character will "stay dead" when that happens. (LA Times)
- In case you missed it, Groundskeeper Willie of The Simpsons decided to weigh in on the proposal for Scottish independence this week. (Washington Post)
- Theodore J. Flicker isn't a name that is well-known to many TV fans, but he was a co-creator and producer of Barney Miller, and he also died this week at the age of 84. (Chicago Tribune)
- Friends is turning 20 and The Cosby Show is turning 30, and both are ripe for an anniversary marathon over the next few days. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- One of the biggest releases of the year is certain to be the release of The Jeffersons - The Complete Series, but it gets even better as the special features have been revealed. These include the four episodes of spinoff Checking In and an episode of the first episode of E/R, which featured Sherman Hemsley as George Jefferson.
- The list of music to be included on the release of WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series has been released, and it looks like an impressive list with most of the original music intact. So far, there hasn't been an official list of what is missing, though some of the artists (not an exhaustive list) missing from the list that had music one the show include Pink Floyd, The Eagles, The Pointer Sisters, Talking Heads, Devo, The Beatles, James Brown, and Barry Manilow. However, this list is rather short compared to the list of artists included, and we hope to have a through update on this once the set is released.
- The Facts of Life - The Complete Series now has a release date set for January 13, but it will ship on December 16 if you order it directly from Shout! Factory, just in time for Christmas.
SEPTEMBER 23 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One (DVD, $44.98): The debut season of the Fox sitcom arrives on DVD.
- How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season (DVD, $29.98): It's the end of an era as the final season of this sitcom arrives on DVD; complete series also available.
- Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season (DVD, $29.98): For those who skipped on StarVista's complete series release and collected the seasons one at a time, this release should finish their collection. A retail complete series release also arrives.
- Modern Family - The Fifth Season (DVD, $39.98): The fifth season of this series arrives on DVD, though this time, no Blu-ray release is being made available.
- Mom - The Complete First Season (DVD, $44.98): The first season of this CBS series arrives on DVD.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May)
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
05/02 - Red, White and Blue Collar Sitcoms - Make TV Great Again
05/09 - ALF - The Complete DVD Collection
05/09 - Divorce - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
05/09 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Second Season
05/16 - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, May 22
Angie Tribeca - "License to Drill" (TBS, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Geils lands in trouble when he helps a woman investigate whether her husband is having an affair.
Young & Hungry - "Young & Amnesia" (Freeform, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Gabi attempts to cure Josh's amnesia by re-creating the first time they met.
Baby Daddy - "Daddy's Girl" (Freeform, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Riley is confined to the couch; Ben struggles to answer Emma's questions about her mother.
Monday, May 22
- Chelsea Handler (Are You There, Chelsea?) - Watch Chelsea on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. She chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Kyle Chandler (What About Joan?) - Kyle appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also talks about Bloodline on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Michaela Watkins (Casual/Trophy Wife) - Michaela is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Seaton Smith (Mulaney) - Seaton stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Nicole Richie (Great News) - Nicole visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Kym Whitley (Young & Hungry/Animal Practice/The Parkers) - Kym guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Tichina Arnold (Survivor's Remorse/Happily Divorced/Everybody Hates Chris/Martin) - Tichina appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Brenda Strong (The Help/Scorch) - Brenda talks about Supergirl on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Tituss Burgess (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) - Tituss joins Clinton Kelly to whip up a delicious delight on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Patti performs a jazz song from her new album on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Loretta Devine and Lil Rel Howery (The Carmichael Show) - Loretta and Lil are guests on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Zoe Lister-Jones (Life in Pieces/Friends with Better Lives/Whitney) - Zoe talks about her new comedy Band Aid on the AOL Build Show 1pm.
- Ellie Reed (Girlboss) - Ellie talks about Girlboss on the AOL Build Show at 5pm.