Saturday, September 20, 2014
SitcomsOnline Digest: NBC Looking to Make a Problem Child Series?; Jeffersons, WKRP, and Facts of Life DVD Updates
- NBC, which isn't shy about reviving movies that are decades old as TV series (consider Parenthood), is now looking to revive the 1990 movie Problem Child (which starred John Ritter and Amy Yasbeck as a couple who adopted a child who was nothing but trouble) as a sitcom. (Hollywood Reporter)
- Mike Scully and Julie Scully, both of whom have a made a name for themselves with their behind the scenes roles on The Simpsons, are looking to adapt a Mexican sitcom to America that sounds a lot like a modern update on The Brady Bunch or Step by Step. (Deadline)
- Simpsons executive producer Al Jean has made it clear that a character is going to die this season, and the character will "stay dead" when that happens. (LA Times)
- In case you missed it, Groundskeeper Willie of The Simpsons decided to weigh in on the proposal for Scottish independence this week. (Washington Post)
- Theodore J. Flicker isn't a name that is well-known to many TV fans, but he was a co-creator and producer of Barney Miller, and he also died this week at the age of 84. (Chicago Tribune)
- Friends is turning 20 and The Cosby Show is turning 30, and both are ripe for an anniversary marathon over the next few days. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- One of the biggest releases of the year is certain to be the release of The Jeffersons - The Complete Series, but it gets even better as the special features have been revealed. These include the four episodes of spinoff Checking In and an episode of the first episode of E/R, which featured Sherman Hemsley as George Jefferson.
- The list of music to be included on the release of WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series has been released, and it looks like an impressive list with most of the original music intact. So far, there hasn't been an official list of what is missing, though some of the artists (not an exhaustive list) missing from the list that had music one the show include Pink Floyd, The Eagles, The Pointer Sisters, Talking Heads, Devo, The Beatles, James Brown, and Barry Manilow. However, this list is rather short compared to the list of artists included, and we hope to have a through update on this once the set is released.
- The Facts of Life - The Complete Series now has a release date set for January 13, but it will ship on December 16 if you order it directly from Shout! Factory, just in time for Christmas.
SEPTEMBER 23 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One (DVD, $44.98): The debut season of the Fox sitcom arrives on DVD.
- How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season (DVD, $29.98): It's the end of an era as the final season of this sitcom arrives on DVD; complete series also available.
- Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season (DVD, $29.98): For those who skipped on StarVista's complete series release and collected the seasons one at a time, this release should finish their collection. A retail complete series release also arrives.
- Modern Family - The Fifth Season (DVD, $39.98): The fifth season of this series arrives on DVD, though this time, no Blu-ray release is being made available.
- Mom - The Complete First Season (DVD, $44.98): The first season of this CBS series arrives on DVD.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, December 7
The Goldbergs - "Globetrotters" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Adam attends a Globetrotters game, he falls in love with the “theatrics” of the team and tries doing his own tricks on the court. But when he cuts together a video that makes Barry look like he lost a game to Adam and his friends, Barry demands a rematch, culminating in an epic battle at the school gym. Meanwhile, it’s Murray’s 50th birthday, and, despite his protests, Beverly throws yet another surprise party for him but gets more than she bargained for.
Speechless - " S-L--SLED H-O--HOCKEY" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
JJ instantly wants to join a sled hockey team made up entirely of people with disabilities, but Jimmy is not thrilled and thinks it’s dangerous. Meanwhile, Maya takes a CPR class with Kenneth, and she sees how popular he is and realizes that she needs to be nicer in order to keep him as JJ’s aide.
Modern Family - "A Tale of Three Cities" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
After recent trips take the Dunphys to New York; Mitch, Cam and Lily to the Midwest; and Jay, Gloria, Manny and Joe to Juarez, Mexico; the Pritchett-Dunphy-Tucker clan reunites.
black-ish - "Nothing but Nepotism" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Bow urges Dre to use his connections and secure Zoey a fellowship, but he doesn’t want his daughter relying on nepotism. When Bow finds Zoey a place at the hospital, Dre balks at the idea and successfully pulls some strings at Teen Vogue. Meanwhile, Junior loses his first job at an arcade pizza joint that the twins love after he reports their unclean practices to corporate, and they shut it down.
Younger - "Pigeons, Parrots, and Storks" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Liza and Josh’s future together is thrown into question after having opposing reactions to a near miss.
Impastor - "The Neighbor's Wife" (TV Land, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Buddy deals with the shocking arrival of Alexa’s husband. Dora makes a frightening discovery. Schmidt’s engagement party takes an unexpected turn.
Wednesday, December 7
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - Watch T.J on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) - Lily appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Melissa Rauch (The Big Bang Theory) - Melissa is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Chris visits ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Jane Lynch (Angel from Hell) and Kate Flannery (The Office) - Jane and Kate give a musical performance on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Michael Rosenbaum (Impastor/Zoe, Duncan, Jack and Jane) and Mircea Monroe (Impastor/Episodes) - Michael and Mircea are guests on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Jennifer Aniston (Friends) - Jennifer and the cast of Office Christmas Party are guests on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Aimee Carrero (Young & Hungry) - Aimee appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Emmanuelle Chriqui (Entourage) - Emmanuelle is a guest on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. She will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET. She can be heard on The Morning Mash Up on SiriusXM at 10am.