Saturday, September 20, 2014
SitcomsOnline Digest: NBC Looking to Make a Problem Child Series?; Jeffersons, WKRP, and Facts of Life DVD Updates
- NBC, which isn't shy about reviving movies that are decades old as TV series (consider Parenthood), is now looking to revive the 1990 movie Problem Child (which starred John Ritter and Amy Yasbeck as a couple who adopted a child who was nothing but trouble) as a sitcom. (Hollywood Reporter)
- Mike Scully and Julie Scully, both of whom have a made a name for themselves with their behind the scenes roles on The Simpsons, are looking to adapt a Mexican sitcom to America that sounds a lot like a modern update on The Brady Bunch or Step by Step. (Deadline)
- Simpsons executive producer Al Jean has made it clear that a character is going to die this season, and the character will "stay dead" when that happens. (LA Times)
- In case you missed it, Groundskeeper Willie of The Simpsons decided to weigh in on the proposal for Scottish independence this week. (Washington Post)
- Theodore J. Flicker isn't a name that is well-known to many TV fans, but he was a co-creator and producer of Barney Miller, and he also died this week at the age of 84. (Chicago Tribune)
- Friends is turning 20 and The Cosby Show is turning 30, and both are ripe for an anniversary marathon over the next few days. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- One of the biggest releases of the year is certain to be the release of The Jeffersons - The Complete Series, but it gets even better as the special features have been revealed. These include the four episodes of spinoff Checking In and an episode of the first episode of E/R, which featured Sherman Hemsley as George Jefferson.
- The list of music to be included on the release of WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series has been released, and it looks like an impressive list with most of the original music intact. So far, there hasn't been an official list of what is missing, though some of the artists (not an exhaustive list) missing from the list that had music one the show include Pink Floyd, The Eagles, The Pointer Sisters, Talking Heads, Devo, The Beatles, James Brown, and Barry Manilow. However, this list is rather short compared to the list of artists included, and we hope to have a through update on this once the set is released.
- The Facts of Life - The Complete Series now has a release date set for January 13, but it will ship on December 16 if you order it directly from Shout! Factory, just in time for Christmas.
SEPTEMBER 23 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One (DVD, $44.98): The debut season of the Fox sitcom arrives on DVD.
- How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season (DVD, $29.98): It's the end of an era as the final season of this sitcom arrives on DVD; complete series also available.
- Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season (DVD, $29.98): For those who skipped on StarVista's complete series release and collected the seasons one at a time, this release should finish their collection. A retail complete series release also arrives.
- Modern Family - The Fifth Season (DVD, $39.98): The fifth season of this series arrives on DVD, though this time, no Blu-ray release is being made available.
- Mom - The Complete First Season (DVD, $44.98): The first season of this CBS series arrives on DVD.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, October 25
The Middle - "Halloween VIII: The Heckoning" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Halloween approaches, Frankie is taken aback when she discovers that, if the circumstances ever arose where she and Mike got divorced, the kids would all choose to live with Mike. Meanwhile, Sue tries everything in her power to get her room back from Brick, and having to be so nice around girlfriend April all of the time leads Axl to lash out at his family.
American Housewife - "Westport Zombies" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Katie, jealous of Taylor’s friendship with neighbor Viv (Leslie Bibb), reluctantly competes in the Westport Halloween “Zombie Run” after she finds out they’ll both be running. Meanwhile, Greg and Anna-Kat get a little too much in character for the “zombie” part of the run’s obstacle course.
Fresh Off the Boat - "Louisween" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Louis’ favorite holiday, and he makes every attempt to scare Jessica into the Halloween spirit, but she is buried in her word processor, drafting her first horror novel. Meanwhile, Emery and Evan debate costume choices, and Eddie and his crew are excited to party with high schoolers at Nicole’s house.
The Real O'Neals - "The Real Halloween" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Halloween arrives, or what Kenny refers to as “the gay Super Bowl,” he plans to go to Boystown to watch the festive costume parade. In an effort to prevent Kenny from attending, Eileen agrees to let him throw his own Halloween party at home. Eileen’s tolerance is ultimately tested when Kenny recruits Stuart and his gay friends to join the big party, and he makes a BIG costume change. Meanwhile, Jimmy and Shannon plan to pull off an epic Halloween prank.
Atlanta - "Junteenth" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Why my Auntie trying to make me go to one of these bougie Junteenth parties again? I don't like them sadity people and I'm gonna miss my shows. Le sigh.
Family Time - "Head of House" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When the Stallworths have an unexpected visitor, they learn of a vicious crime that took place in their home years ago.
Tuesday, October 25
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Catch Will on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Friends) - Matt is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Cobie Smulders (How I Met Your Mother) - Cobie appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Skylar Astin (Ground Floor) - Skylar is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Mary Lynn Rajskub (How to Be a Gentleman/Veronica's Closet/The Larry Sanders Show) and David Koechner (Another Period/Hank/The Office) - Mary and David are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John appears on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Jamie Lee Curtis (Scream Queens/Anything But Love) - Jamie Lee is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Erinn Hayes (Kevin Can Wait/Guys with Kids/Worst Week) - Erinn plays a celeb guessing game with Rach, who’s serving up no-fail make-your-own takeout, on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET. She will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Cheryl Hines (Son of Zorn/Suburgatory/Curb Your Enthusiasm) - Cheryl is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Abbi Jacobson (Broad City) - Abbi will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She will also be on the AOL Build Show 4pm.
- Don Rickles (C.P.O. Sharkey/Daddy Dearest) - Don is a guest on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.