Thursday, September 18, 2014
Sitcom Anniversaries Galore: Friends 20th Anniversary Marathon on TBS; Cosby Show's 30th Anniversary Stunt on TV Land
TBS will celebrate the 20th anniversary of Friends with a 20-episode marathon on Monday, Sept. 22, from 10 am to 8 pm (ET/PT). The marathon, which will air 20 years to the day since the hit comedy's original debut, will consist of episodes chosen by fans to be the very best of Friends. Fans are invited to vote for their favorites by submitting their choices via Facebook (www.facebook.com/TBSveryfunny) and Twitter (twitter.com/tbsveryfunny) using #FavoriteFriends. The TBS marathon coincides with a global celebration of the hit comedy, the centerpiece of which is the opening by Warner Bros. and Eight O'Clock Coffee of a pop-up replica of Central Perk, the neighborhood coffee shop frequented by the characters on Friends, in New York City. Located at 199 Lafayette Street (at the corner of Broome Street) in Manhattan's SoHo neighborhood, the pop-up Central Perk will be open daily through October 18, serving up free coffee to visitors. Fans cans also check out signature props from the show in the decorated storefront, relax on Central Perk's iconic orange couch, order coffee off the famous Central Perk chalkboard or win prizes through fun and exciting in-store promotions.
Happy Anniversary to The Cosby Show, too! Whether they are teaching the kids a lesson out of tough love or performing one of their famous lip-sync renditions, the Huxtable family constantly keeps us laughing. To commemorate the 30th anniversary of the debut of the landmark television series, TV Land is hosting a two-day marathon on September 20-21 from 2pm-10pm ET/PT. The marathon begins Saturday, September 20 at 2pm with fan favorite episode, "How Ugly Is He?" This episode captures the day every father dreads - meeting his daughter's boyfriend for the first time. Things get complicated for Cliff (Bill Cosby) and Clair (Phylicia Rashad) when Denise's (Lisa Bonet) outspoken boyfriend criticizes their professions. Another beloved episode airing, "The Birth Part 1," involves havoc erupting in the Huxtable's kitchen after Sondra (Sabrina Le Beauf) suddenly goes into labor. Then, in a special anniversary-themed episode, "Happy Anniversary," Cliff arranges a surprise European cruise for his parents for their special day while the children prepare a home cooked dinner for their Grandma (Clarice Taylor) and Grandpa (Earle Hyman), which is followed by their famous lip-sync rendition of "Night Time Is the Right Time."
Sunday, September 21 at 2pm the marathon continues with the pilot episode that started it all. Theo (Malcolm-Jamal Warner) brings home a bad report card much to Cliff's dismay. Other fan favorite episodes include "Theo's Holiday," "Say Hello To A Good Buy," "If The Dress Fits, Wear It," "Cliff's Wet Adventure," "Isn't It Romantic" and more. The marathon will conclude with the series' final episode, "And So We Commence Part 2," where eight years of magic, love and laughter with the Huxtable family comes to an end. Theo graduates from college and Cliff and Clair dance one last time in the living room and then off the set into television history. And don't forget Centric is also doing a Cosby Show marathon.
These marathons are in addition to Antenna TV's Bewitched 50th anniversary marathon. Gilligan's Island is turning 50 on Sept. 26, so hopefully MeTV or TV Land will do a stunt...if they do, we'll let you know. Stay with us.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, March 27
The Big Bang Theory - "The Brain Bowl Incubation" (CBS, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
After a successful experiment combining their genes, Sheldon will stop at nothing to convince Amy they should procreate. Also, Koothrappali is embarrassed to tell the gang what the new woman he’s dating does for a living.
Kevin Can Wait - "Kevin's Bringing Supper Back" (CBS, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Kevin’s resolve to spend more quality time with his family is put to the ultimate test when his buddies surprise him with concert tickets to his favorite musician, fellow Long Islander Billy Joel. Multiple Grammy Award-winning pianist, singer and songwriter Billy Joel appears as himself.
Superior Donuts - "Get It, Arthur" (CBS, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When Randy’s mom comes to town, Franco encourages Arthur to go out on his first date in years. Brenda Vaccaro guest stars as Helen, Randy’s mom.
The Great Indoors - "Aaron Wolf" (CBS, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Jack watches the millennials’ journalistic integrity slip away when they fall under the spell of his nemesis, Aaron Wolf (Chris D’Elia), a former magazine staffer turned famous outdoor reality TV host who returns to guest edit the magazine.
Monday, March 27
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Richard Dreyfuss (Your Family or Mine) - Richard appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) and Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) - Lily and Jane are guests on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. They also chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Rachel Dratch (Imaginary Mary) - Rachel is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Pete Holmes (Crashing) - Pete stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi appears on a repeat of Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mark Consuelos (Alpha House/Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tahj Mowry, Derek Theler and Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Baby Daddy) - Tahj, Derek and Jean-Luc are guests on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Vanessa Bell Calloway (Rhythm & Blues) - Vanessa is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- June Diane Raphael (Grace and Frankie) - June talks about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben talk TV Land's Nobodies on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brookyln stops by People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia opens up about her favorite part of being in the 50 Shades movies on People Now at 8:30am. \
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee dishes about her Golden Globe win on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.