Thursday, September 18, 2014
Sitcom Anniversaries Galore: Friends 20th Anniversary Marathon on TBS; Cosby Show's 30th Anniversary Stunt on TV Land
TBS will celebrate the 20th anniversary of Friends with a 20-episode marathon on Monday, Sept. 22, from 10 am to 8 pm (ET/PT). The marathon, which will air 20 years to the day since the hit comedy's original debut, will consist of episodes chosen by fans to be the very best of Friends. Fans are invited to vote for their favorites by submitting their choices via Facebook (www.facebook.com/TBSveryfunny) and Twitter (twitter.com/tbsveryfunny) using #FavoriteFriends. The TBS marathon coincides with a global celebration of the hit comedy, the centerpiece of which is the opening by Warner Bros. and Eight O'Clock Coffee of a pop-up replica of Central Perk, the neighborhood coffee shop frequented by the characters on Friends, in New York City. Located at 199 Lafayette Street (at the corner of Broome Street) in Manhattan's SoHo neighborhood, the pop-up Central Perk will be open daily through October 18, serving up free coffee to visitors. Fans cans also check out signature props from the show in the decorated storefront, relax on Central Perk's iconic orange couch, order coffee off the famous Central Perk chalkboard or win prizes through fun and exciting in-store promotions.
Happy Anniversary to The Cosby Show, too! Whether they are teaching the kids a lesson out of tough love or performing one of their famous lip-sync renditions, the Huxtable family constantly keeps us laughing. To commemorate the 30th anniversary of the debut of the landmark television series, TV Land is hosting a two-day marathon on September 20-21 from 2pm-10pm ET/PT. The marathon begins Saturday, September 20 at 2pm with fan favorite episode, "How Ugly Is He?" This episode captures the day every father dreads - meeting his daughter's boyfriend for the first time. Things get complicated for Cliff (Bill Cosby) and Clair (Phylicia Rashad) when Denise's (Lisa Bonet) outspoken boyfriend criticizes their professions. Another beloved episode airing, "The Birth Part 1," involves havoc erupting in the Huxtable's kitchen after Sondra (Sabrina Le Beauf) suddenly goes into labor. Then, in a special anniversary-themed episode, "Happy Anniversary," Cliff arranges a surprise European cruise for his parents for their special day while the children prepare a home cooked dinner for their Grandma (Clarice Taylor) and Grandpa (Earle Hyman), which is followed by their famous lip-sync rendition of "Night Time Is the Right Time."
Sunday, September 21 at 2pm the marathon continues with the pilot episode that started it all. Theo (Malcolm-Jamal Warner) brings home a bad report card much to Cliff's dismay. Other fan favorite episodes include "Theo's Holiday," "Say Hello To A Good Buy," "If The Dress Fits, Wear It," "Cliff's Wet Adventure," "Isn't It Romantic" and more. The marathon will conclude with the series' final episode, "And So We Commence Part 2," where eight years of magic, love and laughter with the Huxtable family comes to an end. Theo graduates from college and Cliff and Clair dance one last time in the living room and then off the set into television history. And don't forget Centric is also doing a Cosby Show marathon.
These marathons are in addition to Antenna TV's Bewitched 50th anniversary marathon. Gilligan's Island is turning 50 on Sept. 26, so hopefully MeTV or TV Land will do a stunt...if they do, we'll let you know. Stay with us.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, April 25
The Middle - "Trip and Fall" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Trashy neighbor Rita Glossner (Brooke Shields) talks an apprehensive Frankie into taking a road trip to an unknown destination; Mike takes an embarrassing fall at the quarry and has to deal with even more embarrassment when OSHA is called in to investigate; and Sue attempts to convince Axl to end his estrangement with the family after learning their true feelings about April.
American Housewife - "The Otto Motto" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Taylor keeps quitting school activities, Greg says that Katie, quite the quitter herself, sets a poor example. He challenges her to finally learn French after quitting lessons so long ago, so she reluctantly enrolls in a college class.
Speechless - "S-I-- SICK D-A-- DAY" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Maya gets sick, Jimmy is forced to be the mom of the house, and Dylan becomes Kenneth’s replacement for JJ when Kenneth also gets sick. Jimmy ends up doing well with Maya’s normal duties, but he tries to keep it from her to avoid her feeling bad. Meanwhile, JJ protects Dylan from a boy she’s interested in. And despite its illness, the family bands together and pulls an all-nighter to finish Ray’s school project.
Imaginary Mary - "In a World Where Worlds Collide" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Alice freaks out when her friends want to meet Ben. But when an outing with everyone goes surprisingly well, Alice wants to meet Ben’s friends. However, Ben is hesitant but devises a plan that will impress Alice; but later, he makes a surprising admission.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "The Last Ride" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
In what could be their last case as partners, Jake and Charles go to great extremes to apprehend a local bike thief. Terry shockingly isn’t in the lead for “Mr. Nine-Nine” (the detective who has solved the most cases), leaving Rosa determined to boost his ego. Meanwhile, Amy spends some precious time with Holt.
The Mick - "The Implant" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Sabrina tells Mickey she wants to augment her figure, so Mickey decides the best way to dissuade her from doing so is to do a test-run in public. Meanwhile, Jimmy takes Chip and Ben to a baseball game to teach them how to be more masculine.
Great News - "Pilot" (NBC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Katie (Briga Heelan), a frustrated cable news producer, is horrified when her mom, Carol (Andrea Martin), gets an internship at "The Breakdown." Despite Katie's best efforts, Carol is instantly beloved by the entire office, including blowhard veteran anchor Chuck (John Michael Higgins). But when Katie hits a roadblock while producing a big story, she realizes that maybe having a mom at work isn't such a bad thing.
Great News - "Bear Attack" (NBC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Katie (Briga Heelan) tries to set workplace boundaries with Carol (Andrea Martin), but when a big story about an escaped bear lands in her lap, her mom can't help but meddle. Meanwhile, Greg (Adam Campbell) tries to get Chuck (John Michael Higgins) and Portia (Nicole Richie) to do a little friendly banter at the end of the show.
The Detour - "The Mule" (TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Robin and Nate live out their action movie fantasies as they make their way to the kids, who are actually doing fine without them.
The Detour - "The Ass" (TBS, 10:30PM ET/PT)
The family reunites, but this time Robin makes a huge mistake.
Tuesday, April 25
- Amanda Peet (Brockmire/Togetherness/Bent) - Catch Amanda on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC. She also appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Patton Oswalt (The Goldbergs/The King of Queens) - Patton stops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Kal Penn (We Are Men/How I Met Your Mother) - Kal is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Sanaa stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Reid Scott (Veep/My Boys) - Reid visits Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Arden Myrin (Working) - Arden appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Hank Azaria (Brockmire/The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Andrea Martin (Difficult People/Working the Engels) - Andrea visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Patti will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Andrea Martin (Great News/Difficult People/Working the Engels) - Andrea talks about Good News on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 10am hour.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso will be on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Jason Jones (The Detour) - Jason talks about The Detour on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Ross Lynch (Austin & Ally) - Ross opens up about his new movie My Friend Dahmer on People Now at 8:30am.
- Tim Daly (Wings) - Tim is a guest on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Peter Engel (Producer of Saved by the Bell/California Dreams/Hang Time) - Peter dishes about his new memoir I Was Saved by the Bell on the The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Sherri Shepherd (Trial & Error/Less Than Perfect/Sherri) - Sherri is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Danny DeVito (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia/Taxi) - Danny appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.