Thursday, September 18, 2014
Sitcom Anniversaries Galore: Friends 20th Anniversary Marathon on TBS; Cosby Show's 30th Anniversary Stunt on TV Land
TBS will celebrate the 20th anniversary of Friends with a 20-episode marathon on Monday, Sept. 22, from 10 am to 8 pm (ET/PT). The marathon, which will air 20 years to the day since the hit comedy's original debut, will consist of episodes chosen by fans to be the very best of Friends. Fans are invited to vote for their favorites by submitting their choices via Facebook (www.facebook.com/TBSveryfunny) and Twitter (twitter.com/tbsveryfunny) using #FavoriteFriends. The TBS marathon coincides with a global celebration of the hit comedy, the centerpiece of which is the opening by Warner Bros. and Eight O'Clock Coffee of a pop-up replica of Central Perk, the neighborhood coffee shop frequented by the characters on Friends, in New York City. Located at 199 Lafayette Street (at the corner of Broome Street) in Manhattan's SoHo neighborhood, the pop-up Central Perk will be open daily through October 18, serving up free coffee to visitors. Fans cans also check out signature props from the show in the decorated storefront, relax on Central Perk's iconic orange couch, order coffee off the famous Central Perk chalkboard or win prizes through fun and exciting in-store promotions.
Happy Anniversary to The Cosby Show, too! Whether they are teaching the kids a lesson out of tough love or performing one of their famous lip-sync renditions, the Huxtable family constantly keeps us laughing. To commemorate the 30th anniversary of the debut of the landmark television series, TV Land is hosting a two-day marathon on September 20-21 from 2pm-10pm ET/PT. The marathon begins Saturday, September 20 at 2pm with fan favorite episode, "How Ugly Is He?" This episode captures the day every father dreads - meeting his daughter's boyfriend for the first time. Things get complicated for Cliff (Bill Cosby) and Clair (Phylicia Rashad) when Denise's (Lisa Bonet) outspoken boyfriend criticizes their professions. Another beloved episode airing, "The Birth Part 1," involves havoc erupting in the Huxtable's kitchen after Sondra (Sabrina Le Beauf) suddenly goes into labor. Then, in a special anniversary-themed episode, "Happy Anniversary," Cliff arranges a surprise European cruise for his parents for their special day while the children prepare a home cooked dinner for their Grandma (Clarice Taylor) and Grandpa (Earle Hyman), which is followed by their famous lip-sync rendition of "Night Time Is the Right Time."
Sunday, September 21 at 2pm the marathon continues with the pilot episode that started it all. Theo (Malcolm-Jamal Warner) brings home a bad report card much to Cliff's dismay. Other fan favorite episodes include "Theo's Holiday," "Say Hello To A Good Buy," "If The Dress Fits, Wear It," "Cliff's Wet Adventure," "Isn't It Romantic" and more. The marathon will conclude with the series' final episode, "And So We Commence Part 2," where eight years of magic, love and laughter with the Huxtable family comes to an end. Theo graduates from college and Cliff and Clair dance one last time in the living room and then off the set into television history. And don't forget Centric is also doing a Cosby Show marathon.
These marathons are in addition to Antenna TV's Bewitched 50th anniversary marathon. Gilligan's Island is turning 50 on Sept. 26, so hopefully MeTV or TV Land will do a stunt...if they do, we'll let you know. Stay with us.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May)
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
05/02 - Red, White and Blue Collar Sitcoms - Make TV Great Again
05/09 - ALF - The Complete DVD Collection
05/09 - Divorce - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
05/09 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Second Season
05/16 - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Monday, May 22
Angie Tribeca - "License to Drill" (TBS, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Geils lands in trouble when he helps a woman investigate whether her husband is having an affair.
Young & Hungry - "Young & Amnesia" (Freeform, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Gabi attempts to cure Josh's amnesia by re-creating the first time they met.
Baby Daddy - "Daddy's Girl" (Freeform, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Riley is confined to the couch; Ben struggles to answer Emma's questions about her mother.
Monday, May 22
- Chelsea Handler (Are You There, Chelsea?) - Watch Chelsea on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. She chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Kyle Chandler (What About Joan?) - Kyle appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also talks about Bloodline on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Michaela Watkins (Casual/Trophy Wife) - Michaela is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Seaton Smith (Mulaney) - Seaton stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Nicole Richie (Great News) - Nicole visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Kym Whitley (Young & Hungry/Animal Practice/The Parkers) - Kym guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Tichina Arnold (Survivor's Remorse/Happily Divorced/Everybody Hates Chris/Martin) - Tichina appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Brenda Strong (The Help/Scorch) - Brenda talks about Supergirl on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Tituss Burgess (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) - Tituss joins Clinton Kelly to whip up a delicious delight on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Patti performs a jazz song from her new album on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Loretta Devine and Lil Rel Howery (The Carmichael Show) - Loretta and Lil are guests on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Zoe Lister-Jones (Life in Pieces/Friends with Better Lives/Whitney) - Zoe talks about her new comedy Band Aid on the AOL Build Show 1pm.
- Ellie Reed (Girlboss) - Ellie talks about Girlboss on the AOL Build Show at 5pm.