Saturday, September 06, 2014
SitcomsOnline Digest: Adam Levine Sitcom for NBC?; King of the Hill, Better Off Ted, and More to DVD
- Maroon 5's Adam Levine is probably not a name that you would ever associate with the idea of a sitcom, but he would like for you to do that, as he is working towards producing an autobiographical sitcom about his life in the 90's for NBC. (Deadline)
- NBC is also considering putting together a sitcom that would be aired live, and include live commercials... could it last as more than just a gimmick? (Cinema Blend)
- FXX's marathon of The Simpsons was a huge ratings success for the network, bringing it from being barely in the top 50 networks to the number one spot for three nights of the marathon. (Rolling Stone)
- Meanwhile, FXX's new fall lineup includes a lot of The Simpsons, and more, including In Living Color (previously a long-time staple on sibling network FX) and Raising Hope. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- We've had news about releases from plenty of studios over the years, but one we'd never mentioned is Olive Films... until now, that is! The independent studio has been very quiet on the TV front, but suddenly, they have announced a ton of DVD releases from the Fox library coming on November 18, including the long-awaited seventh and eighth seasons of King of the Hill, the second season of Better Off Ted, and the complete series of Dads and the animated series Napoleon Dynamite. Hopefully, this (combined with Shout! Factory's recently renewed relationship with Fox) means that we will finally see other Fox series coming out of the vault, in particular the long-awaited (but never released) later seasons of Malcolm in the Middle and The Bernie Mac Show.
- Meanwhile, CBS is moving forward with Happy Days, with a release of the sixth season of the series on December 2.
- Shout! Factory is picking up another abandoned series from the Sony library, as they are set to release Hart to Hart - The Complete Third Season on December 9.
- Even though the complete series have been released for both series, Shout! will be bringing and Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season and The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final Season to DVD on December 9 and December 16, respectively.
SEPTEMBER 9 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season (DVD, $45.99): The first season of the new ABC hit comedy arrives on DVD for the very first time.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, October 21
Last Man Standing - "Trick or Treat" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Halloween and the Baxter family is excited for their annual party, except for Mike who’s reluctantly tasked with choosing the theme. In hopes of turning everyone against the holiday, Mike decides that maybe if the whole family has to dress up like each other they’ll end up making fun of one another. Eve dresses up like Mandy and Mandy dresses down like Eve, Kristin and Ryan swap roles, and Mike shows up to the party as… Donald Trump!? The impersonating turns into bickering but in the end, the Baxters come together to support Vanessa as she learns that she’s being laid off.
Dr. Ken - "D.K.'s Korean Ghost Story" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
On Halloween, Allison is disappointed the holiday doesn’t seem to scare Dave anymore, meaning her little boy is growing up, perhaps too fast. But that might change after D.K. tells a scary Korean gwishin (ghost) story. The Park family, as well as the gang at Welltopia, bring the story to life playing the various gwishins.
Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse - "Jack" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Marcus deals with the loss of one of his former teammates.
Friday, October 21
- Matthew Perry (The Odd Couple/Go On/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Matthew on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jerry Seinfeld (Seinfeld) - Jerry appears on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah talks about Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 1:15pm.
- Lindsay Sloane (The Odd Couple/The Stones/Mr. Rhodes) - Lindsay visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Tom and Ron will be on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Christian Slater (Breaking In) - Christian talks about King Cobra on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Netflix's Good Girls Revolt on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jennifer Grey (Red Oaks/It's Like, You Know...) - Jennifer joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Thomas Lennon (The Odd Couple/Sean Saves the World/Reno 911!) and Jason Biggs (Mad Love/Drexell's Class) - Thomas and Jason are guests on Chelsea on Netflix.
- Marisa Tomei (A Different World) - Marisa appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Paul Reiser (Red Oaks/Mad About You/The Paul Reiser Show) - Paul is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.