Wednesday, July 09, 2014
Emmy Award winner Sean Hayes has joined the cast of The Millers as a series regular. His character will be introduced during the comedy's second season premiere, Thursday, Oct. 30 at 8:30PM ET/PT on CBS. Hayes will play Kip Withers, Carol Miller's (Margo Martindale) new best friend and a new source of friction for Carol's son, Nathan (Will Arnett). Sean Hayes is an actor, producer and Emmy Award winner for his role as Jack McFarland for eight seasons on the sitcom Will & Grace. Most recently, Hayes starred in and executive produced the comedy series Sean Saves the World. His additional television credits include Smash, Up All Night and playing icon Jerry Lewis in Martin & Lewis.
The Millers stars Will Arnett, Beau Bridges, Margo Martindale, Jayma Mays, JB Smoove, Nelson Franklin and Lulu Wilson. Greg Garcia and James Burrows serve as executive producers.
Actor Bob Hastings, who starred as Lieutenant Elroy Carpenter in McHale's Navy, has died. He died from prostate cancer on June 30 in Burbank, California. Mr. Hastings was 89.
Hastings' early television appearances included Captain Video and His Video Rangers, Atom Squad, The United States Steel Hour, Tom Corbett, Space Cadet, The Edge of Night, The Big Story and Deadline. His first recurring role was as a lieutenant in The Phil Silvers Show (aka Sergeant Bilko). He appeared in a total of eight episodes.
He made guest appearances in many sitcoms in the late 1950s and early 1960s, including The Real McCoys, Hennesey, The Donna Reed Show, Window on Main Street, The Gertrude Berg Show, Car 54, Where Are You?, Pete and Gladys (three episodes), Room for One More, Dennis the Menace (five episodes) and Petticoat Junction.
Hastings starred as the yes-man Lieutenant Elroy Carpenter in ABC's McHale's Navy. The popular sitcom ran four seasons from 1962-1966. His character was Binghamton's (Joe Flynn) sycophantic aide. He was humorously called "Carpy" and "Little Leadbottom" by McHale and his men. Hastings reunited with other cast members for "The Crew Remembers" special feature on the McHale's Navy - Season One DVD release in 2007.
Some of his other sitcom work included the voice of The Raven in The Munsters. He also played "Cousin Phantom of the Opera" in the TV movie The Munsters' Revenge in 1981. Hastings made guest appearances in Hogan's Heroes, I Dream of Jeannie, The Good Guys, The Flying Nun, Here's Lucy, Green Acres, Nanny and the Professor, My Three Sons, Love, American Style and The Odd Couple.
He had a recurring role as bar owner Tommy Kelsey (or Kelcy) in All in the Family from 1973-1977. His other sitcom guest appearances in the 1970s included Karen, The Love Boat, Szysznyk, Operation Petticoat, Alice and Three's Company. He provided voices for many animated series, including Beany and Cecil, The New Adventures of Superboy, Jeannie, Clue Club, Batman: The Animated Series and The New Batman Adventures. For a complete listing of his credits, please visit his IMDB page.
Survivors include his wife of 66 years, Joan, four children, ten grandchildren, and eleven great-grandchildren. Mr. Hastings was a terrific on-screen and off-screen character actor. He seemed to drop in almost every major sitcom in the 1960s. We thank him for entertaining us for many years. He will be greatly missed.
Antenna TV commemorated the life of actor Bob Hastings with a marathon of his work on Saturday, July, 5 featuring episodes of McHale's Navy as well as other sitcoms where he had guest appearances like Dennis the Menace, I Dream of Jeannie, The Flying Nun, Green Acres and All in the Family.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, October 25
The Middle - "Halloween VIII: The Heckoning" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Halloween approaches, Frankie is taken aback when she discovers that, if the circumstances ever arose where she and Mike got divorced, the kids would all choose to live with Mike. Meanwhile, Sue tries everything in her power to get her room back from Brick, and having to be so nice around girlfriend April all of the time leads Axl to lash out at his family.
American Housewife - "Westport Zombies" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Katie, jealous of Taylor’s friendship with neighbor Viv (Leslie Bibb), reluctantly competes in the Westport Halloween “Zombie Run” after she finds out they’ll both be running. Meanwhile, Greg and Anna-Kat get a little too much in character for the “zombie” part of the run’s obstacle course.
Fresh Off the Boat - "Louisween" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Louis’ favorite holiday, and he makes every attempt to scare Jessica into the Halloween spirit, but she is buried in her word processor, drafting her first horror novel. Meanwhile, Emery and Evan debate costume choices, and Eddie and his crew are excited to party with high schoolers at Nicole’s house.
The Real O'Neals - "The Real Halloween" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Halloween arrives, or what Kenny refers to as “the gay Super Bowl,” he plans to go to Boystown to watch the festive costume parade. In an effort to prevent Kenny from attending, Eileen agrees to let him throw his own Halloween party at home. Eileen’s tolerance is ultimately tested when Kenny recruits Stuart and his gay friends to join the big party, and he makes a BIG costume change. Meanwhile, Jimmy and Shannon plan to pull off an epic Halloween prank.
Atlanta - "Junteenth" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Why my Auntie trying to make me go to one of these bougie Junteenth parties again? I don't like them sadity people and I'm gonna miss my shows. Le sigh.
Family Time - "Head of House" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When the Stallworths have an unexpected visitor, they learn of a vicious crime that took place in their home years ago.
Tuesday, October 25
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Catch Will on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Friends) - Matt is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Cobie Smulders (How I Met Your Mother) - Cobie appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Skylar Astin (Ground Floor) - Skylar is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Mary Lynn Rajskub (How to Be a Gentleman/Veronica's Closet/The Larry Sanders Show) and David Koechner (Another Period/Hank/The Office) - Mary and David are guests on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun/Twenty Good Years) - John appears on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Jamie Lee Curtis (Scream Queens/Anything But Love) - Jamie Lee is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Erinn Hayes (Kevin Can Wait/Guys with Kids/Worst Week) - Erinn plays a celeb guessing game with Rach, who’s serving up no-fail make-your-own takeout, on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET. She will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Cheryl Hines (Son of Zorn/Suburgatory/Curb Your Enthusiasm) - Cheryl is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Abbi Jacobson (Broad City) - Abbi will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She will also be on the AOL Build Show 4pm.
- Don Rickles (C.P.O. Sharkey/Daddy Dearest) - Don is a guest on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Nico Tortorella (Younger) - Nico appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.