Tuesday, July 01, 2014
Community Moving to Yahoo! for 6th Season; FX Orders Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll for 2015 Starring Denis Leary, Elizabeth Gillies
Community is not coming back next season on NBC. It's also not coming to Hulu. But wait, it IS coming back somewhere! Yahoo and Sony Pictures Television announced that Community will return this Fall for a highly-anticipated sixth season, with 13 new episodes available exclusively on Yahoo! Screen. It's official and is happening. The cast has been saying six seasons and a movie, and looks like we are halfway there now with the announcement of a sixth season. Will a movie be back?
At the center of the group is Jeff Winger (Joel McHale, The Soup), a fast-talking lawyer who was dis-barred until he could earn a legitimate degree. He chose Greendale, thinking he could breeze through the mediocre school without a hitch. However, he soon found himself the reluctant leader of a disparate group of misfits, all stuck at Greendale for different reasons. The study group includes Britta Perry (Gillian Jacobs), who dropped out of high school to "change the world" and soon found herself in her thirties with no marketable skills; Shirley Bennett (Yvette Nicole Brown), a religious housewife who landed at Greendale after a messy divorce and is now blossoming into a headstrong entrepreneur; Abed Nadir (Danny Pudi), a socially awkward, but well-meaning, pop culture savant; Annie Edison (Alison Brie), a high-strung perfectionist; and, Ben Chang (Ken Jeong ), a former Spanish teacher who is either insane or an evil genius, or both. At Greendale's helm is Dean Pelton (Jim Rash), an administrator whose ineptitude is matched only by his love of the school and his devotion to his students.
Dan Harmon created Community and serves as executive producer. Russ Krasnoff also serves as executive producer, along with Gary Foster (Sleepless in Seattle) and Chris McKenna (The Mindy Project).
FX is officially back in business with Denis Leary, placing a 10-episode order for the comedy series Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll. Created by and starring Leary, Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll is produced by FX Productions and Fox Television Studios, and will premiere on FX in 2015. Starring Leary, John Corbett, Elizabeth Gillies, Elaine Hendrix and Bobby Kelly, SDRR is centered on "Johnny Rock" (Leary), a middle-aged rock 'n roller who desperately wanted to be rich and famous. So far, he's 0 for 2. As the magnificently talented lead singer of New York's legendary early 90's band The Heathens, Johnny was on his way to the cover of Rolling Stone magazine. His best friend "Flash" (Corbett) was being called the next number one lead guitar player on planet earth. The critics loved them. Their live shows were selling out.
But Johnny had a problem with booze. And coke. And weed. And pills. And cough medicine. And oh yeah - he slept with Flash's wife. And his bass player's fiancé. The band broke up the same day their first and only record was released. 25 years later Johnny is trying to get the band back together. Why? Because as his soon-to-be-ex manager Ira Feinbaum tells him: "Johnny, you're 50, broke and completely anonymous. In rock 'n roll you know what that makes you? A bartender." 25 years later the sex might be harder to find, the drugs might be Luvox and Crestor and Cialis - but rock 'n roll will never die. It just has a bigger prostate. The Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll pilot was written by Leary and directed by Michael Blieden. Leary, his company Apostle and partner Jim Serpico are Executive Producers. It is produced by FX Productions and Fox Television Studios. It will be filmed on location in New York City. The show will feature original music and occasional guest appearances by actual rock stars.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, March 25
Henry Danger - "Gas or Fail" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Captain Man finds himself trapped underground, Henry must devise a way to sneak out of his school's standardized testing to save Ray.
Game Shakers - "Llama Llama Spit Spit" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After the Game Shakers get kicked out of Fooders to make room for a guest who has his photo on the wall, Babe becomes determined to get their own photo up using any means necessary.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "To Be Invited or Not to Be" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
The quads make a new friend, an amazing inventor, but when not all of them get invited back to hang out again, they start to wonder why.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Better Late Than Never" (OWN, 9:00PM ET/PT)
A missed call leaves Danny and his family in a bad place.
Love Thy Neighbor - "Make Up or Make Out" (OWN, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Still upset with his friends, Danny takes the advice of his family.
Sunday, March 26
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Catch Sanaa on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Richard Dreyfuss (Your Family or Mine) - Richard appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) and Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) - Lily and Jane are guests on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. They also chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Rachel Dratch (Imaginary Mary) - Rachel is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Pete Holmes (Crashing) - Pete stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi appears on a repeat of Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mark Consuelos (Alpha House/Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tahj Mowry, Derek Theler and Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Baby Daddy) - Tahj, Derek and Jean-Luc are guests on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Vanessa Bell Calloway (Rhythm & Blues) - Vanessa is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- June Diane Raphael (Grace and Frankie) - June talks about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben talk TV Land's Nobodies on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brookyln stops by People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia opens up about her favorite part of being in the 50 Shades movies on People Now at 8:30am. \
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee dishes about her Golden Globe win on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.