Thursday, May 08, 2014
TBS has given the greenlight to Your Family or Mine, a new domestic comedy with a twist starring Kyle Howard (Royal Pains, My Boys), Kat Foster ('Til Death, Royal Pains), Richard Dreyfuss (The Goodbye Girl, The American President) and JoBeth Williams (Poltergeist, Dexter). Based on an enormously popular Israeli comedy from Keshet International, the series is being executive produced by Greg Malins (Friends, How I Met Your Mother, Will & Grace); Jamie Tarses (Happy Endings, Franklin & Bash); Keshet's Rubi Duanias, Yaniv Polishuk, Avi Nir and Ran Telem; and Teddy Productions' Tamira Yardeni. Your Family or Mine comes to TBS by Sony Pictures Television, Jamie Tarses' Fanfare Productions, Keshet International and Teddy Productions. TBS has ordered 10 episodes of Your Family or Mine, which is slated to premiere in 2015. Originally created by Rubi Duanias and Yaniv Polishuk, the comedy centers on Oliver (Howard) and Kelli (Foster), a young couple with two daughters. Oliver and Kelli are living proof of the adage, "When you marry someone, you don't just marry them, you marry their whole family." Putting a unique spin on domestic comedies, each episode of Your Family or Mine will focus on a different side of the family, one week with Kelli's family, the next with Oliver's.
TBS has also greenlit the workplace comedy Buzzy's, the latest series from David Kohan and Max Mutchnick, the Emmy(R)-winning creators of Will & Grace. Ashley Tisdale (High School Musical), Mike Castle (Family Trap), Lauren Lapkus (Orange Is the New Black), Ryan Pinkston (Tower Prep), Matt Cook (True Blood) and six-time Emmy(R) nominee George Wendt (Cheers) star in the ensemble comedy, which comes to TBS from KoMut Entertainment in association with Warner Horizon Television. Kohan and Mutchnick serve as executive producers on the series and penned the pilot, which was directed by James Widdoes (Two and a Half Men). TBS has also ordered 10 episodes of Buzzy's, with plans to launch the show in 2015. Set in Charlestown, Mass., the multi-camera comedy centers on a group of coworkers who all went to high school together but ran in very different crowds.
Moving on, Fox is getting closer to its upfront presentation and 2014-15 plans. They have given three pinkslips to freshman comedies and one freshman drama. The multi-camera sitcom Dads and the single-camera comedies Enlisted and Surviving Jack have all been canceled. Another freshman series, the drama Rake has also been canceled. None of these are surprising since they all struggled in the Nielsen ratings. The only one that had a shot of returning was Dads, which launched in the fall. The other series all were mid-season series. In other Fox upfront news, American Idol will return next season for its 14th cycle, which is no surprise. Even with its declining Nielsen ratings, it was a shoo-in to return. Keep it right here for continued upfront updates.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, January 21
The Thundermans - "Better Off Wed" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The kids learn that Dr. Colosso ruined their parents' wedding years earlier, and want to recreate Hank & Barb's dream day as their anniversary gift. However, Dr. Colosso remains a threat, and they must keep their plans a secret.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "Keeping Up with the Quadashians" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After binge watching their favorite reality TV show, the Quads decide their lives are every bit as "reality TV" worthy, and decide to make a show of their own. Guest Stars: Maddie Ziegler, Mackenzie Ziegler
School of Rock - "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Tomika and Zack work on a love song together, leading to a moment that will change their friendship forever. Summer and Lawrence hang out together for the first time, and Freddy helps Mr. Finn with a problem.
Saturday, January 21
- Phylicia Rashad (The Cosby Show/Cosby) - Phylicia will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Allison on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- William Shatner ($h*! My Dad Says) and Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Arrested Development/Out of Practice) - William and Henry are guests on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jade Catta-Preta (Manhattan Love Story) - Jade is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Wendi McClendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Justina Machado (One Day at a Time) - Justina will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry and Rebecca Romjin talk about Love Locks on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Jerry will also be on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT and on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Retta (Parks and Recreation) - Retta talks about Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.