Saturday, May 24, 2014
SitcomsOnline Digest: Summer Season Premiere Dates; My Favorite Martian DVD Special Features; New Perry Mason Movies on DVD
- It used to be that summer was all about reruns, but not anymore. In fact, these days, we have season premieres in the summer, and Deadline gives us a rundown at all of the season premieres for this summer (although there are certainly some errors in their list, for example, Jennifer Falls is not going to be having it's season five debut on History). (Deadline)
- ABC has won the May sweeps contest for 2014, something that it hasn't done since 2000. (IMDb)
- Meanwhile, despite having very few hit scripted series for several years, NBC has managed to become the #1 network among 18-49-year-olds for the 2013-2014 season, for the first time in 10 years. (Bloomberg)
- TV Land will be adding the sitcom Who's the Boss? to their lineup starting June 1. (SitcomsOnline)
- In case you missed it, we had our own preview of the 2014-2015 season this week. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- We mentioned last month that MPI would be re-releasing My Favorite Martian - Season One on DVD on June 24. Now, TVShowsOnDVD.com has a list of special features, which looks a lot better than the original release from Rhino.
- CBS is preparing to release even more Perry Mason made-for-TV movies on DVD on August 5, as they release Perry Mason - Movie Collection, Volume 3. The three disc set will contain six more movies from the franchise, and it comes at a $59.98 MSRP.
- We've mentioned time and time again that The Wonder Years will be coming out on DVD later this year, and StarVista is trying to make the best possible release... which is why they're wanting fans to come up with questions to ask for a cast interview. You can post your questions for the cast here, and if your question is good enough, it may be answered on the DVD release.
RECENT REVIEWS ON SITCOMSONLINE.COM
- Happy Days - The Fifth Season: After a hiatus of several years, the Fonz (and the rest, of course) return to DVD in this release.
- The Honeymooners - Classic 39 Episodes (Blu-ray): You can go "straight to the moon" with this release from CBS, which brings this classic series to Blu-ray for the first time ever, along with some new special features.
MAY 27 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Series (DVD, $129.99): Shout! Factory gives fans this long awaited release, which (finally) wraps up the classic TV series on DVD.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Sunday, April 30
Bob's Burgers - "Like Gene for Chocolate" (Fox, 7:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Gene learns that the formula for his favorite chocolate has changed, he works with the head of the company in an attempt to remedy the situation. Meanwhile, Bob gets wrapped up in one of Teddy’s less-than-perfect plans.
Bob's Burgers - "Thelma & Louise Except Thelma Is Linda" (Fox, 7:30PM ET/PT)
After Louise gets in trouble at school, Linda is forced to meet with Mr. Frond (guest voice David Herman) and potentially could lose her hard-earned position as the Wagstaff bake sale leader. When she finds out that her daughter was actually trying to help another student, Linda is torn between following school policy or her own moral code.
The Simpsons - "Looking for Mr. Goodbart" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Bart gets in trouble on Grandparents Day at school and is forced to hang out with Skinner’s mother as punishment. After spending time with various grandmas in the neighborhood, he learns the benefits of hanging out with the elderly, but eventually recognizes the dangers of taking advantage of them. Meanwhile, Peekimon Get has taken over the town of Springfield.
Making History - "Night Cream" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
With the ever-present threat of losing tenure looming over him, Chris reaches out to John Hancock and Samuel Adams to help spice things up in the classroom in 2017. Meanwhile, Deb's dream of re-opening Chadwick's ice cream parlor is finally coming to fruition, but Dan has a few marketing ideas of his own.
Family Guy - "The Peter Principal" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Peter becomes the temporary principal at the high school, and Meg uses his new power to get even with her bullies. Meanwhile, Brian and Stewie open a bed & breakfast that quickly turns into a brothel.
The Last Man on Earth - "The Big Day" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Tandy and Gail face off in a major disagreement, on which the whole group must weigh in, and Carol is forced to choose a side. Meanwhile, Melissa, Todd and Erica each have major milestone moments.
Sunday, April 30
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- America Ferrera (Superstore) - America drops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ike Barinholtz (The Mindy Project) - Ike appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Joel McHale (The Great Indoors/Community) - Joel is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jake Johnson (New Girl) - Jake visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Hank Azaria (Brockmire/The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Al Madrigal (About a Boy/Welcome to the Captain/Gary Unmarried) - Al appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Ashton Kutcher (The Ranch/Two and a Half Men/That '70s Show) - Ashton appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Allison teams up with Mario Batali to make a cheesy, decadent Gnocchi Al Telefono and dishes about her new Broadway show on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Charlie Hunnam (Undeclared) - Charlie will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11:15am.
- Nick Robinson (Melissa & Joey) - Nick talks about his new film Everything, Everything on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.
- Jodie Sweetin (Hollywood Darlings/Fuller House/Full House) - Jodie is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.