Monday, May 19, 2014
TV Land has acquired the rights to the '80s sitcom Who's the Boss? starting June 1. The Tony Danza-Judith Light sitcom will launch on Sunday, June 1, 2014 from 10am-2pm. The series also starred Alyssa Milano and Katherine Helmond. It will air regularly Sundays 10am-2pm, weekdays 9-10pm (except Wednesdays) and Saturdays from 6-9pm. The weekday 9-10pm hour will begin on Thursday, June 5, while the Saturday block will begin on June 7. TV Land in recent months have added three classic sitcoms (Brady Bunch, Gilligan's Island and Three's Company), while also getting the rights to Walker, Texas Ranger. Now Who's the Boss? joins the list of those new additions. Who's the Boss? was last seen on TV Guide Network, but it doesn't look like they will have the rights come June 1. Stay tuned for more on TV Land soon because they will have a five-night stunt beginning May 31 (and that's why Who's The Boss? won't start weeknights 9-10pm until June 5).
FX and FXX have announced their original series premieres for this summer. Returning comedy series Wilfred will move to FXX for its fourth and final season starting Wednesday, June 25 at 10 PM ET/PT with two back-to-back episodes. Wilfred is a half-hour, live-action comedy about Ryan, a young man struggling to make his way in the world until he forms a unique friendship with Wilfred, his neighbor's canine pet. Everyone else sees Wilfred as just a dog, but Ryan sees a crude and somewhat surly, yet irrepressibly brave and honest Australian bloke in a cheap dog suit. Elijah Wood stars as Ryan and Jason Gann plays the title character Wilfred. Series regulars also include Fiona Gubelmann and Dorian Brown. FXX will air 10 episodes of Wilfred for Season 4 on Wednesday nights at 10 PM ET/PT. Then, new comedy series Married premieres Thursday, July 17 at 10 PM ET/PT on FX. Married is a half hour comedy about being miserably in love. Russ (Nat Faxon) and Lina Bowman (Judy Greer) can barely remember what life was like before kids, debt, and suburbia rained on their romance -- but every once in a while, in between the arguments about their declining sex life and who's driving carpool, they are reminded what drew them together in the first place -- they're best friends. FX has ordered 10 episodes of Married for its first season to air Thursday nights at 10 PM ET/PT.
Following Married will be another new comedy on FX. Comedy You're the Worst makes its series debut Thursday, July 17 at 10:30 PM ET/PT immediately following Married. You're the Worst, from Stephen Falk, stars Aya Cash (The Wolf of Wall Street), Chris Geere, Kether Donahue, and Desmin Borges. You're the Worst is a comedic love story about what happens when two toxic, self-destructive people (Cash and Geere) fall in love despite themselves and attempt the impossible - a relationship. FX has ordered 10 episodes of You're the Worst for its first season to air Thursday nights at 10:30 PM ET/PT. Elsewhere on FX, they have two dramas: Tyrant debuts June 24 and The Strain is set for July 13. FX's Peabody Award-Winning series The Bridge returns July 9.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, March 24
Last Man Standing - "Bad Heir Day" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Mike and Vanessa think it’s time for newlyweds Mandy and Kyle to move out, but when Chuck relays some unexpected news about Kyle’s absentee mom, Mike has second thoughts. Meanwhile, Eve tells Ryan that Boyd is making up stories about his Dad’s real job, because he’s embarrassed about being home-schooled.
Dr. Ken - "Clark's Big Surprise" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Ken accidentally finds out that Clark and Connor are planning their surprise wedding, he has to find a way to get everyone to come. But Damona finds out and to get Allison there, she tells her that Ken is going to surprise her by renewing their wedding vows. Guest performances from the Grammy Award-winning band, Train, featuring lead singer Pat Monahan and guitarist Jerry Becker.
Friday, March 24
- Sofia Black-D'Elia (The Mick) - Watch Sofia on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Tracy Morgan (30 Rock/The Tracy Morgan Show) - Tracy is on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Malin Akerman (Trophy Wife/Sin City Saints) - Malin appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Zach Galifianakis (Baskets) - Zach is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Laura Dern (Enlightened) - Laura appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jermaine Fowler (Superior Donuts) - Jermaine is a guest on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Michael Keaton (Working Stiffs/All's Fair) - Michael visits LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben are guests on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Martha Plimpton (The Real O'Neals/Raising Hope) - Martha appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Carl Reiner (The Dick Van Dyke Show) and Rob Reiner (All in the Family) - Carl and Rob are guests on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She also joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) and Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) - Jane and Lily talk about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brooklyn talks about Malibu Country on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Rhea Perlman (Cheers/Kirstie) - Rhea talks about Me and My Grandma on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Emma Roberts (Scream Queens/Unfabulous) - Emma talks about The Blackcoat's Daughter on People Now at 8:30am.
- Josh Henderson (One on One) - Josh is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.