Monday, May 19, 2014
TV Land has acquired the rights to the '80s sitcom Who's the Boss? starting June 1. The Tony Danza-Judith Light sitcom will launch on Sunday, June 1, 2014 from 10am-2pm. The series also starred Alyssa Milano and Katherine Helmond. It will air regularly Sundays 10am-2pm, weekdays 9-10pm (except Wednesdays) and Saturdays from 6-9pm. The weekday 9-10pm hour will begin on Thursday, June 5, while the Saturday block will begin on June 7. TV Land in recent months have added three classic sitcoms (Brady Bunch, Gilligan's Island and Three's Company), while also getting the rights to Walker, Texas Ranger. Now Who's the Boss? joins the list of those new additions. Who's the Boss? was last seen on TV Guide Network, but it doesn't look like they will have the rights come June 1. Stay tuned for more on TV Land soon because they will have a five-night stunt beginning May 31 (and that's why Who's The Boss? won't start weeknights 9-10pm until June 5).
FX and FXX have announced their original series premieres for this summer. Returning comedy series Wilfred will move to FXX for its fourth and final season starting Wednesday, June 25 at 10 PM ET/PT with two back-to-back episodes. Wilfred is a half-hour, live-action comedy about Ryan, a young man struggling to make his way in the world until he forms a unique friendship with Wilfred, his neighbor's canine pet. Everyone else sees Wilfred as just a dog, but Ryan sees a crude and somewhat surly, yet irrepressibly brave and honest Australian bloke in a cheap dog suit. Elijah Wood stars as Ryan and Jason Gann plays the title character Wilfred. Series regulars also include Fiona Gubelmann and Dorian Brown. FXX will air 10 episodes of Wilfred for Season 4 on Wednesday nights at 10 PM ET/PT. Then, new comedy series Married premieres Thursday, July 17 at 10 PM ET/PT on FX. Married is a half hour comedy about being miserably in love. Russ (Nat Faxon) and Lina Bowman (Judy Greer) can barely remember what life was like before kids, debt, and suburbia rained on their romance -- but every once in a while, in between the arguments about their declining sex life and who's driving carpool, they are reminded what drew them together in the first place -- they're best friends. FX has ordered 10 episodes of Married for its first season to air Thursday nights at 10 PM ET/PT.
Following Married will be another new comedy on FX. Comedy You're the Worst makes its series debut Thursday, July 17 at 10:30 PM ET/PT immediately following Married. You're the Worst, from Stephen Falk, stars Aya Cash (The Wolf of Wall Street), Chris Geere, Kether Donahue, and Desmin Borges. You're the Worst is a comedic love story about what happens when two toxic, self-destructive people (Cash and Geere) fall in love despite themselves and attempt the impossible - a relationship. FX has ordered 10 episodes of You're the Worst for its first season to air Thursday nights at 10:30 PM ET/PT. Elsewhere on FX, they have two dramas: Tyrant debuts June 24 and The Strain is set for July 13. FX's Peabody Award-Winning series The Bridge returns July 9.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, October 20
Superstore - "Dog Adoption Day" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
After new parents Cheyenne (Nichole Bloom) and Bo (recurring guest star Johnny Pemberton) get into a fight, Amy (America Ferrera) and Glenn (Mark McKinney) take vastly different approaches in giving them advice. Meanwhile, Mateo (Nico Santos) and Jonah (Ben Feldman) get assigned to handle dog adoptions in the store and work feverishly to get all of the dogs adopted once they find out what will happen to the dogs if they don't. Dina (Lauren Ash) refuses to adjust Garrett's (Colton Dunn) timecard based on "store rules," leaving Garrett happy to taunt Dina in revenge.
The Good Place - "The Eternal Shriek" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Eleanor (Kristen Bell) and Chidi (William Jackson Harper) set off on a quest with Janet (D'Arcy Carden) as their guide. Meanwhile, Tahani (Jameela Jamil) attempts to show Michael (Ted Danson) how much he is appreciated.
Better Things - "Duke's Chorus" (FX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Sam and the family go-to-meeting.
Thursday, October 20
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Catch Elijah on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Lena Dunham (Girls) - Lena is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Kroll (The League/Cavemen) - Nick appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- John Mulaney (Mulaney) - John is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Mila Kunis (That '70s Show/Family Guy) - Mila appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Matt LeBlanc (Man with a Plan/Episodes/Joey/Friends) - Matt chats about Man with a Plan on CBS This Morning sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Randall Park (Fresh Off the Boat) - Randall is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Derek Theler (Baby Daddy) - Derek appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Patrice Lovely (Love Thy Neighbor) - Patrice visits Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Zach Galifianakis (Baskets) - Zach and the cast of Keeping Up with the Joneses will be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Wanda Sykes (The New Adventures of Old Christine/Wanda at Large) - Wanda will be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She also joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Victoria Justice (Victorious/Zoey 101) - Victoria talks about The Rocky Horror Picture Show on People Now at 8:30am.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Netflix's Good Girls Revolt on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Cobie Smulders (How I Met Your Mother) - Cobie is a guest on Harry on Netflix.