Saturday, May 03, 2014
- Disney Channel has announced a premiere date for their Boy Meets World spinoff. The spinoff, Girl Meets World, will debut on June 27. (LA Times)
- The past two seasons have failed to produce a breakout comedy for the broadcast networks, so if you're a fan of sitcoms, it might be a bit disheartening to know that the networks are looking into dramas as their best hopes for the 2014-2015 TV season. (Deadline)
- After NBC's success with a live on-air production of The Sound of Music, Fox is wanting to get in on the live productions with a live on-air production of Grease in 2015. (Deadline)
- Efrem Zimbalist Jr., star of series including The FBI and 77 Sunset Strip, died Friday at the age of 95. (Hollywood Reporter)
- It looks like there is going to be even more movement in late night talk shows, as Craig Ferguson announced he would be leaving his show at the end of the year. (SitcomsOnline)
- MeTV is preparing for their annual Summer of Me lineup, which will include the return of Happy Days to the lineup. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- We can never go too long around here without news of another Mill Creek DVD re-release, and this week, we have some more. On July 15, the studio will release Diff'rent Strokes - Seasons 1 and 2. That isn't all, though. On August 5, they will release the first two seasons of both The Nanny and Mad About You.
- The Jetsons is about to be wrapped up on DVD on May 13, as Warner Archive releases The Jetsons - The Complete Third Season.
MAY 6 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- The Andy Griffith Show - Season One (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray, $129.99): The classic series about the sheriff of a small town called Mayberry returns to home media in an excellent Blu-ray release, along with new special features.
- The Honeymooners - Classic 39 Episodes (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray, $129.99): Ralph and Alice Kramden return to home media with the entire run of their standard half hour sitcom in this Blu-ray release, complete with new special features.
- I Love Lucy - Ultimate Season One (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray, $129.99): The Ricardos and Mertez return to home media in this Blu-ray release, which could perhaps be one of the best releases on Blu-ray ever, complete with beautifully restored episodes, new special features, and all of the original commercials for each episode.
- Laverne & Shirley - The Eighth and Final Season (DVD, $39.98): The final season of the classic series finally arrives on DVD, with a mostly Shirley-less season.
- The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - Season 3 (DVD, $29.93): The classic sitcom starring Dwayne Hickman continues on DVD with the next-to-last season.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, April 26
The Goldbergs - "Fonzie Scheme" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Murray is honored as one of Jenkintown’s top businessmen, his plaque is hung on a wall with all of the other honorees. And soon Beverly is dismayed to learn he has no discernable hobbies, and her attempts to help him find some backfire. Meanwhile, Barry creates a scheme stealing golf carts, but the situation goes awry and Erica comes to save the day.
Speechless - "R-U-N-- RUNAWAY" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Maya learns JJ attempted to run away, she is determined to help him complete the task as any able-bodied person could, but her actions exasperate JJ, as he longs for independence. Meanwhile, Jimmy struggles to have hard talks with the kids without Maya, and Dylan tries to get Kenneth to revive his glory days as a high school sports star.
black-ish - "Sister, Sister" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Bow’s sister comes to town after filming a stint on a reality show, and they couldn’t have less in common. Meanwhile, Zoey suggests that Dre spend more time with Junior since she’s leaving for college, and Jack and Diane decide to rebrand themselves.
black-ish - "All Groan Up" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Zoey gets into several colleges around the country, Dre and Bow begin to feel worried and sentimental. They reflect back on memories they’ve had with the family and wonder what life will be like without her around all the time. Pops enlists the twins to try and sway Zoey to go to college in a city they want to visit.
Nobodies - "Not the Emmys" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Award season! Larry, Rachel and Hugh are going to the Annies… while all their Groundlings friends are going to the Emmys.
Lopez - "No Country Club for Young Men" (TV Land, 10:30PM ET/PT)
George gets Hector a job at his country club, but he falls in with a bad crowd of rich kids. Olly's little sister rolls back into town while Manolo struggles to stay focused in his GED class.
Hollywood Darlings - "Driving Miss Jodie" (Pop, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Jodie must choose between a sports car and a minivan; Christine's dream of participating in an exclusive yoga class is thwarted by a loud-breathing celebrity classmate.
Return of the Mac - "The Wrong Stuff" (Pop, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Feeling threatened by newly appointed sidekick Joey Fatone, Joe heads to a comedy club to hone his comedy monologue skills.
Wednesday, April 26
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris and the cast of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- America Ferrera (Superstore) - America is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Thomas Middleditch (Silicon Valley) - Thomas visits The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Maria Bamford (Lady Dynamite) - Maria appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Henry Zebrowski (A to Z) - Henry is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Molly Ringwald (Townies/The Facts of Life) - Molly stops by LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Anna Chlumsky (Veep) - Anna stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Sherri Shepherd (Trial & Error/Less Than Perfect/Sherri) - Sherri talks about the disease she won’t let destroy her on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your loclal listings.
- Felicity Huffman (Sports Night) - Felicity makes pecan bars on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Morris Chestnut (Out All Night) - Morris is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Hank Azaria (Brockmire/The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Jodie Sweetin (Fuller House/Full House) - Jodie is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.