Saturday, May 17, 2014
- Fall 2014 schedules have been announced for all of the networks, and with the new season, Sunday nights are no longer "animation dominated" on Fox, Mondays will be a little less funny on CBS, ABC has given Shonda Rhimes her own night on Thursday, and NBC and The CW are just hoping that somebody will watch any night of the week. If it's all confusing, The Washington Post has a complete summary of everything. (Washington Post)
- How I Met Your Dad was one of the most talked about pilots for the new fall season. As it turns out, wasn't even picked up, but the producers are still trying to find a network that would be interested in it. (E! Online)
- The Wire has a more critical look at some of the new fall series, ranked based upon how many episodes that they predict each series will last. If their predictions hold up, we'll see about two weeks of ABC's Manhattan Love Story, and of course, NCIS: New Orleans will last "until the end of time." (The Wire)
- There has been talk that Community may not necessarily be over now that NBC has cancelled it, but creator Dan Harmon thinks that it is unlikely that it'll be revived. (Deadline)
- Les Moonves says that there have been no discussions with Joel McHale to take over for Craig Ferguson on The Late Late Show, but that doesn't mean that some people (namely, Moonves' own wife, Julie Chen) don't like to stir up rumors anyway. (Deadline)
- On New Years Eve, ABC has Ryan Seacrest (and previously Dick Clark) and NBC has Carson Daly, broadcasting from New York City. For some reason, Fox has decided that they want to try something totally different with Pitbull, broadcasting from Miami. (Hollywood Reporter)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- Sometimes, shows become so obscure that we forget about them very quickly, and that seems to have happened with the now cancelled NBC series Sean Saves the World. This week, TVShowsOnDVD.com discovered that Sean Saves the World - Season One is actually on DVD, and has been for over a month, as a MOD offering.
- A much more successful series from the past season (i.e. one that will actually be back in the fall) is the CBS series, The Millers. On August 19, CBS DVD will be releasing The Milers - Season One.
RECENT REVIEWS ON SITCOMSONLINE.COM
- The Andy Griffith Show - Season 1 (Blu-ray): The classic TV series debuts on Blu-ray with the best quality it has ever seen, along with some nice special features.
- I Love Lucy - Ultimate Season 1 (Blu-ray): In what could perhaps be described as one of the best home media releases ever, the queen of comedy returns in a release that is even better than the DVD releases, and includes new special features and even includes every episode with all original commercials.
MAY 20 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- The Abbott and Costello Show - The Complete Second Season (DVD, $39.98): The classic comedy is the first entry (of many) in DVD re-releases coming up for Tuesday
- The Dick Van Dyke Show - Episodes Only Collection - Season 1 / Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 (DVD, $24.98 each): For those who like The Dick Van Dyke Show and want to own it on DVD, but don't particularly care about all of the special features, each season can now be purchased on DVD without the special features in these sets.
- The Facts of Life - Seasons 1 and 2 (DVD, $14.98): You can take the good (the episodes) and the bad (no more special features) in this re-release from Mill Creek.
- Gidget - The Complete Series (DVD, $9.98): Another standard re-release from Mill Creek, at a very nice price.
- Good Times - Seasons 3 and 4 (DVD, $14.98): You should be lucky you've got 'em with this value-priced re-release from Mill Creek.
- Happy Days - The Fifth Season (DVD, $39.98): The Fonz returns to DVD after a long hiatus in this release, and this is also one of the only completely new releases this week on DVD.
- The Jeffersons - Seasons 1 and 2 (DVD, $14.98): Mill Creek "moves on up" with George and Weezie in this value-priced re-release.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May)
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
05/02 - Red, White and Blue Collar Sitcoms - Make TV Great Again
05/09 - ALF - The Complete DVD Collection
05/09 - Divorce - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
05/09 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Second Season
05/16 - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, May 23
Downward Dog - "Boundaries" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Nan installs an automatic dog door so she can take away Jason’s key but still keep him as Martin’s dog walker, Martin is convinced he can suddenly open doors with his mind, and the new-found power goes to his head. Meanwhile at work, Nan’s boss is unable to understand the new ad campaign Nan sold to the corporate bosses, and he spirals into confusion.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "The Bank Job" / "Crime & Punishment" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
As Jake and Rosa continue their search for a bank-robbing operation with Lieutenant Hawkins (guest star Gina Gershon), they realize there’s more to her team than meets the eye. After discovering a dangerous secret, they call for back-up from Holt and Pimento (guest star Jason Mantzoukas). Meanwhile, Boyle objects to Gina’s new boyfriend (guest star Ryan Phillipe). Then, Jake and Rosa are framed for a crime they didn’t commit, it’s up to the Nine-Nine to find a way to bust them out.
Great News - "Carol Has a Bully" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Carol (Andrea Martin) has a midterm she must pass in order to keep her internship. Katie (Briga Heelan) needs to choose between helping her mom and focusing on her hacking story, which she can't seem to crack. Meanwhile, Greg's (Adam Campbell) wealthy estranged grandmother (guest star Christina Pickles) pays a visit to the office. Chuck (John Michael Higgins) finds her cold and cruel, but almost immediately falls in love with her.
Great News - "Carol's Eleven" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Katie (Briga Heelan) makes a huge discovery about the story she's been chasing and, with the help of Carol (Andrea Martin) and the rest of the staff, concocts a scheme to get the story out. Greg (Adam Campbell) struggles with balancing his conflicting loyalties to his family, co-workers and conscience.
Mann & Wife - "Mann, Shut Yo Mouth" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Struggling to solve a tough case, an exhausted Daniel falls asleep and wakes up in a 70's blaxploitation cop show.
Tuesday, May 23
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Catch Terry on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Rob Huebel (Trasparent/Burning Love) - Rob appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Al Madrigal (About a Boy/Welcome to The Captain/Gary Unmarried), Andrew Santino (I'm Dying Up Here/Sin City Saints) and Erik Griffin (I'm Dying Up Here) - Al, Andrew and Erik are guests on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ari Graynor (I'm Dying Up Here/Bad Teacher) - Ari stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Nick Kroll (The League/Cavemen) - Nick visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Ben Falcone (Nobodies/A to Z/Joey) - Ben drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Abigail Breslin (Scream Queens) - Abigail appears on LIVE! with Kelly and Ryan, so check your listings.
- Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory/Blossom) - Mayim talks about her new book Girling Up: How to Be Strong, Smart and Spectacular and The Big Bang Theory on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- William Shatner ($#*! My Dad Says) - William is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Kyle Chandler (What About Joan?) - Kyle teams up with Clinton Kelly to grill up a great entrée on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Nicole Byer ( Loosely Exactly Nicole) - Nicole is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- The Love Boat Cast - The cast of The Love Boat reunites on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Debra Messing (Will & Grace) - Debra chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Zoe Lister-Jones (Life in Pieces/Friends with Better Lives/Whitney) - Zoe talks about her new comedy Band Aid on the AOL Build Show 1pm.
- Jamie Foxx (The Jamie Foxx Show) - Jamie talks about Beat Shazam on AOL Build Show 4pm.