Monday, May 26, 2014
As we pay tribute to our troops every year on this day, let's have some fun as well watching TV marathons on the tube on this day off! If you're not going outside in the heat, then there are plenty of TV options for you on this day! Are you headed to the shore or would you rather watch some good TV marathons like Who's the Boss?? It's a brand new life! So bring out your lawn chair, throw some burgers on the BBQ, and watch some television!
Among the marathons today are the marathons we have previously mentioned, such as the Who's the Boss marathon in NY on WLNY-TV 10/55 from 7am-7pm. We also told you about the Maverick marathon on Cozi TV from 8am-5pm, followed by the primetime launches of Starsky & Hutch and Knight Rider from 8pm-12am! Sitcoms getting the marathon treatment on this day include Malcolm in the Middle on IFC from 6am-6pm. Logo will have a Roseanne marathon today from 10am-4pm. TVGN will celebrate Alan Thicke starting at 9:30am with both Growing Pains movies airing with episodes of his new series Unusually Thicke. TV One will spend the holiday with Martin Lawrence with a block of Martin from 11am-8pm. BET will have a marathon of its hit series The Game from 8am-7pm. Comedy Central will have a Tosh.0 marathon beginning at 11am and running to 11pm. Other sitcoms airing today will be in their regular blocks, like Saved by the Bell on MTV2 from 9am-12pm.
Moving on to dramas, INSP salutes the troops with a JAG marathon from 11am-7pm. Hallmark has a marathon of The Waltons beginning at 2pm today. If you like more current drama, then spend the day with Julianna Margulies with a marathon of The Good Wife on Hallmark Movie Channel beginning at 9am. It wouldn't be a holiday without marathons of Criminal Minds and once again ION and A&E will have marathons, with ION airing it from 11am-3am and A&E from 9am-4am. Another fitting marathon for this day is NCIS: Los Angeles and USA Network has a marathon of this spin-off series from 9am-8pm. TNT will have a promotional marathon for Falling Skies from 10am-8pm, which returns June 22 on TNT for its fourth season. Cloo has marathons of Law & Order: Criminal Intent from 6am-5pm, followed by Law & Order: SVU from 5pm-11pm. The short-lived drama Persons Unknown will get a marathon today on Chiller from 11am-6am with all 13 episodes airing. Other notable marathons include Defiance on Syfy and a Walker Texas Ranger marathon on TV Land. And kick butt with Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Pivot from 10am-10pm or Jessica Alba as Dark Angel on El Rey Network from 5-8pm. Reality series wise, CMT will showcase Party Down South with a marathon from 11am-9pm. Spend the day with Kim Kardashian (who got married this weekend) in Keeping Up with the Kardashians on E! from 9am-4pm. Other reality best bets for the day are Lizard Lick Towing marathon on truTV, The Real Housewives of Orange County marathon on Bravo, Family Feud marathon on GSN, Dr. Phil on OWN from 6am-1pm, Pawn Stars marathon on History and Undercover Boss marathon on TLC.
If you like movies on TV, watch Antenna TV's Memorial Day Cinema Salute begins at 7am. Ovation will have a marathon of the Rocky film franchise from 11am-12am. Fuse will have a House Party movie marathon. And you can of course catch movies all day on Lifetime, LMN, AMC, TCM and other networks that usually air movies.
For the full times of these marathons and much more marathons we didn't cover, check out the full list from our pals at TV Tango!
Now let's take a look at the top 10 summer series to watch (that haven't launched yet with their series or season premieres):
1. Mistresses (ABC, Mondays 10|9c beginning June 2) - Last summer's juiciest drama is back and it gets more steamier! 8 months have passed by in the storyline and you'll be surprised on what has happened since we last saw Savi, April, Karen, and Joss. We have some new characters and love interests this season that will spice things up even more. It is the perfect summer show with the perfect setting. The top pick for the second straight year with a sultry season premiere. Alyssa Milano rocks in everything she does!
2. Girl Meets World (Disney, Fridays 8:30|7:30c beginning June 28) - Cory and Topanga Matthews back together again! Yes, Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel return! This is one of the highly anticipated series this summer. The Boy Meets World continuation! Made for kids and families, Girl Meets World tells the wonderfully funny, heartfelt stories that Boy Meets World is renowned for - only this time from a tween girl's perspective. It focuses on relationships with family and friends and the important, indelible values therein, as the relatable and adventurous Riley and her bold best friend Maya traverse the twists and turns of teenage years at Manhattan's John Quincy Adams Middle School where Riley's dad is their History teacher. In the premiere episode, the typically studious Riley joins a homework rebellion in an attempt to be more like Maya, but it quickly leads to a rift between father and daughter. The top sitcom pick of the summer!
3. Pretty Little Liars (ABC Family, Tuesdays 8|7c beginning June 10) - The liars are back for an all-new season with season five! This is one of the best teen series of all-time and everyone wants to know who is on the A team. As usual, we will have 12 episodes in the summer with a Halloween special in October before the rest of the season airs next winter. ABC Family spreads the season out well and makes it into an event. We are getting closer and closer in finding out who "A" is and what will happen to Ezra? We shall see in the season premiere. The main four girls have ultra hot chemistry and Ashley Benson is the complete package with comedic fun even.
4. Rookie Blue (ABC, Thursdays 9|8c beginning June 19) - The fifth season of the Canadian drama returns and it just gets better and better. This is one of the best cop shows on television and it airs every summer. Missy Peregrym leads a great cast of rookie cops who are getting experience each season. The relationships on this show is like no other and reminds you of other ABC series like Castle and Grey's Anatomy. Will "McSwarek" return?
5. Jennifer Falls (TV Land, Wednesdays 10:30|9:30c beginning June 4) - TV Land's first-ever single camera comedy revolves around Jennifer Doyle (Jaime Pressly), a former high-powered executive who has fallen and hit every bump on the way down to rock bottom. With her teenage daughter (Dylan Gelula) in tow, Jennifer moves back in with her mother (Jessica Walter) and takes a job in the bar owned by her meek brother (Ethan Suplee) and passive-aggressive sister-in-law (Nora Kirkpatrick) as a last resort. There, she reunites with her former best friend (Missi Pyle) who turns out to be holding quite a grudge. But every cloud has a silver lining: there's nowhere to go but up.
6. Mystery Girls (ABC Family, Wednesdays 8:30|7:30c beginning June 25) - Another reunion! Tori Spelling and Jennie Garth of Beverly Hills 90210 are together again, this time on a sitcom. The comedy series follows two former detective TV show starlets brought back together by a real-life mystery. Charlie Contour (Garth) is a suburban housewife and mother, while Holly Hamilton (Spelling) longs for her glory days in the 90's when she was on television. Both of their lives are disrupted when Nick (Miguel Pinzon), a witness to a crime and a "Mystery Girls" fanatic, will only speak to the infamous duo, and the former friends must reunite and put their TV crime-solving skills to the test. The series is also executive produced by Spelling and Garth.
7. Witches of East End (Lifetime, Sundays 9|8c beginning July 6) - Last fall this was one of the best dramas to air. Now the second season will launch this summer and we cannot wait to see what the Beauchamp family will do next. Jenna Dewan Tatum shines in this series and is flawless. This season, with the portal to Asgard open, what comes through will forever change the lives of the Beauchamps. Darkness surrounds East End as a new stranger arrives. Joanna is still weak with poison in her blood as the Beauchamps search desperately for a cure. With the death of Penelope), Killian and Dash's warlock powers return.
8. Covert Affairs (USA Network, Tuesdays 10|9c beginning June 24) - The very fun and awesome series starring Piper Perabo as Annie Walker returns for a fifth season. Season five picks up with CIA operative Annie returning to the Agency after having faked her death to go deep undercover to find a traitor to the CIA. The new season will examine the price Annie will have to pay for this risky maneuver and the implications it will have on her relationships - both personally and professionally - as she attempts to re-emerge into the world she once knew. It's not as complicated as Alias (which was a great show), but this is more for the mainstream audience and it works well as that.
9. Young & Hungry (ABC Family, Wednesdays 8|7 beginning June 25) - From Ashley Tisdale, this new comedy stars Emily Osment. Two worlds collide when Josh (Jonathan Sadowski), a wealthy young tech entrepreneur, meets Gabi (Emily Osment), a feisty young food blogger, looking to be his personal chef. Gabi is desperate for the job and must prove herself, mostly to Josh's aide, Elliot (Rex Lee), who prefers a famous chef for the job. When Josh enlists Gabi to prepare a romantic meal for him and his girlfriend, the dinner goes awry and Gabi finds herself in a very awkward position. With the help of her best friend Sofia (Aimee Carrero) and Josh's housekeeper Yolanda (Kym Whitley), Gabi turns a difficult situation into an opportunity for employment and maybe even love.
10. Taxi Brooklyn (NBC, Wednesdays 10|9c beginning June 25) - Chyler Leigh and Jennifer Esposito lead this new drama series, which is an action-comedy police procedural. It is centered on the fractious, closely bonded partnership between a streetwise Marseilles-born New York City taxi driver and an intensely driven NYPD detective for whom this immigrant cabbie becomes chauffeur, insider on the streets and unofficial partner.
There are of course much more series airing but these are our ten best picks and ones you should make an effort to watch. Series that will run into summer a bit include Devious Maids, Hot in Cleveland, Melissa & Joey and Baby Daddy. Other notables include reality staples America's Got Talent (NBC), Big Brother (CBS), Wipeout (ABC), The Bachelorette (ABC), So You Think You Can Dance (Fox) and some interesting newbies like Rising Star (ABC), along with scripted series options like Chasing Life (ABC Family), Falling Skies (TNT), The Last Ship (TNT), Undateable (NBC), Welcome to Sweden (NBC), Motive (ABC), Under the Dome (CBS) and the Halle Berry series Extant (CBS). Plenty of options in the summer and more than ever!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, April 26
The Goldbergs - "Fonzie Scheme" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Murray is honored as one of Jenkintown’s top businessmen, his plaque is hung on a wall with all of the other honorees. And soon Beverly is dismayed to learn he has no discernable hobbies, and her attempts to help him find some backfire. Meanwhile, Barry creates a scheme stealing golf carts, but the situation goes awry and Erica comes to save the day.
Speechless - "R-U-N-- RUNAWAY" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Maya learns JJ attempted to run away, she is determined to help him complete the task as any able-bodied person could, but her actions exasperate JJ, as he longs for independence. Meanwhile, Jimmy struggles to have hard talks with the kids without Maya, and Dylan tries to get Kenneth to revive his glory days as a high school sports star.
black-ish - "Sister, Sister" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Bow’s sister comes to town after filming a stint on a reality show, and they couldn’t have less in common. Meanwhile, Zoey suggests that Dre spend more time with Junior since she’s leaving for college, and Jack and Diane decide to rebrand themselves.
black-ish - "All Groan Up" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
When Zoey gets into several colleges around the country, Dre and Bow begin to feel worried and sentimental. They reflect back on memories they’ve had with the family and wonder what life will be like without her around all the time. Pops enlists the twins to try and sway Zoey to go to college in a city they want to visit.
Nobodies - "Not the Emmys" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
It’s Award season! Larry, Rachel and Hugh are going to the Annies… while all their Groundlings friends are going to the Emmys.
Lopez - "No Country Club for Young Men" (TV Land, 10:30PM ET/PT)
George gets Hector a job at his country club, but he falls in with a bad crowd of rich kids. Olly's little sister rolls back into town while Manolo struggles to stay focused in his GED class.
Hollywood Darlings - "Driving Miss Jodie" (Pop, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Jodie must choose between a sports car and a minivan; Christine's dream of participating in an exclusive yoga class is thwarted by a loud-breathing celebrity classmate.
Return of the Mac - "The Wrong Stuff" (Pop, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Feeling threatened by newly appointed sidekick Joey Fatone, Joe heads to a comedy club to hone his comedy monologue skills.
Wednesday, April 26
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris and the cast of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- America Ferrera (Superstore) - America is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Thomas Middleditch (Silicon Valley) - Thomas visits The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Maria Bamford (Lady Dynamite) - Maria appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Henry Zebrowski (A to Z) - Henry is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- John Leguizamo (The Brothers Garcia) - John guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Molly Ringwald (Townies/The Facts of Life) - Molly stops by LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Anna Chlumsky (Veep) - Anna stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Sherri Shepherd (Trial & Error/Less Than Perfect/Sherri) - Sherri talks about the disease she won’t let destroy her on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your loclal listings.
- Felicity Huffman (Sports Night) - Felicity makes pecan bars on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Morris Chestnut (Out All Night) - Morris is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Hank Azaria (Brockmire/The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Jodie Sweetin (Fuller House/Full House) - Jodie is a guest on The Real, so check your local listings.