Saturday, March 22, 2014
- TV Land has given a pilot order to Teachers, a project from Allison Brie (of Community). It is based upon a web series of the same name that follows six dysfunctional elementary school teachers. (Entertainment Weekly)
- John Krasinski is looking to go from paper salesman at Dunder-Mifflin to executive producer with a sitcom that he has in the development phase with TBS. The project, currently titled Jackass of All Trades, "centers on a devoted stay-at-home dad who, after landing his family in dire financial trouble, resorts to earning a living doing odd jobs off of Craigslist." (Deadline)
- One of cable TV's biggest series, The Walking Dead, is about to head to broadcast TV primetime... at least in reruns on MyNetworkTV. (Deadline)
- A sitcom in development at ABC could potentially put both the Fonz and Angela Bower on one stage... and if it happens, they'll both be Winklers, as the series would tentatively be called The Winklers. (Deadline)
- Two and a Half Men was renewed for next season, but it looks even less likely that we'll see much of Angus T. Jones, as the original "half man" on the series, as he refers to his experience of being on the series as being a "paid hypocrite." (KHOU)
- The Sweathogs are about to return to TV next month, as MeTV adds Welcome Back, Kotter to their lineup. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- A while back, Time-Life/StarVista announced a new release of The Carol Burnett Show, which appeared to be just a rehashing of the material previously released on DVD. There has been a lot of confusion about this release, but the studio has finally clarified that that six disc retail release (the one that will be sold in traditional stores and amazon.com) of The Carol Burnett Show - Carol's Crack-Ups will be a release that consists of 17 uncut episodes that were not included in the Ultimate Collection release, so it will allow fans to get more of Carol on DVD. The release date for this set is coming up very soon, on April 15.
RECENT REVIEWS ON SITCOMSONLINE.COM
- Eight is Enough - The Complete Fifth Season: The Warner Archive release wraps up the classic comedy-drama series that follows a very large family.
- L.A. Law - The Complete First Season: Shout! Factory's release of the United States debut of the classic legal drama on DVD, containing all of the first season episodes and plenty of nice special features.
- Nurse Jackie - Season Five (Blu-ray): The hit Showtime series returns to Blu-ray (and DVD) once again, along with the usual slate of special features.
MARCH 25 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- Here's Lucy - The Complete Series (DVD, $159.98): Classic TV's favorite redhead gets another big box-set release of one of her series, and this time it is her last successful sitcom to air on CBS. It is a nice set that is loaded with special features.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (December/January)
12/06 - Family Guy - Season Fourteen
12/13 - American Dad! - Volume 11
12/13 - Newhart - The Complete Seventh Season
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, January 21
The Thundermans - "Better Off Wed" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
The kids learn that Dr. Colosso ruined their parents' wedding years earlier, and want to recreate Hank & Barb's dream day as their anniversary gift. However, Dr. Colosso remains a threat, and they must keep their plans a secret.
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "Keeping Up with the Quadashians" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After binge watching their favorite reality TV show, the Quads decide their lives are every bit as "reality TV" worthy, and decide to make a show of their own. Guest Stars: Maddie Ziegler, Mackenzie Ziegler
School of Rock - "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Tomika and Zack work on a love song together, leading to a moment that will change their friendship forever. Summer and Lawrence hang out together for the first time, and Freddy helps Mr. Finn with a problem.
Saturday, January 21
- Phylicia Rashad (The Cosby Show/Cosby) - Phylicia will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 10pm ET/PT on OWN.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Watch Allison on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- William Shatner ($h*! My Dad Says) and Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Arrested Development/Out of Practice) - William and Henry are guests on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jade Catta-Preta (Manhattan Love Story) - Jade is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Wendi McClendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi stops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Cristela Alonzo (Cristela) - Cristela chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on The Real, so check your local listings.
- Justina Machado (One Day at a Time) - Justina will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry and Rebecca Romjin talk about Love Locks on NBC's Today in the 9am hour. Jerry will also be on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT and on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Retta (Parks and Recreation) - Retta talks about Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.