Saturday, March 01, 2014
SitcomsOnline Digest: An Odd Couple Remake on CBS?; Eight is Enough and In the Heat of the Night DVD Updates
- The Odd Couple seems to be on inching closer to becoming a reality again, with Matthew Perry filling Jack Klugman's shoes of Oscar Madison. Right now, though, it is just an odd person, as there is no Felix Unger. Can a remake about two divorced men sharing an apartment actually make it to air some day? We now just sit and wait. (Deadline)
- Parks and Recreation has always had plenty of politicians stop by for cameos on the series, including Joe Biden, John McCain, Barbara Boxer, and Olympia Snowe. This week, though, it was announced that First Lady Michelle Obama will appear on the season finale. This is far from the first time that a first lady has appeared in an NBC sitcom, though, as First Lady Nancy Reagan appeared in a 1983 episode of Diff'rent Strokes. (Hollywood Reporter)
- Meanwhile, recently revealed documents show that in 1995, another first lady, Hillary Clinton, was approached to appear in Home Improvement (ABC's top-rated series at the time), but couldn't manage to get her. (Deadline)
- Game show host Jim Lange, best known as the host of The Dating Game, died this week at the age of 81. He also made a few sitcom appearances throughout his career on Bewitched, Laverne & Shirley, Parker Lewis Can't Lose, and Moesha. (Time)
- TV One is on the verge of premiering a new series called Unsung Hollywood, which tells the behind-the-scenes stories of some of of Hollywood's rarely told stories. On March 12, What's Happening!! will be featured in this new series. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- Warner Archive has been steadily releasing Eight is Enough on DVD, so it should come as no surprise that they would release the fifth (and final) season of the series on DVD. This week, we got some confirmation from the studio that it is not only on the way, but in fact, work is being completed for this release. The studio responds to a Facebook post with the message "We are finishing up work on S5 at the present time. Thanks." We can't wait! No word on any of the post-series movies, though.
- In The Heat of the Night has had a very unusual DVD release history, and TGG is about to release the rest of the series (technically, you can put an asterisk or 28 asterisks next to that) on March 11. On this date, the studio will release In the Heat of the Night - Seasons 2 and 3, In the Heat of the Night - Season 6, and In the Heat of the Night - Seasons 7. This trio of releases means that all eight seasons of the series will be represented on DVD. However, it does not mean that all 142 episodes of the series will be available on DVD. While seasons 1 and 8 (which was technically a series of four movies that followed the show rather than another season in proper terms) are completely available, six episodes were missing from the last two sets of releases (seasons 4 and 5) due to music releases, and a lot more will be missing this time: 16 episodes from the season 2 and 3 set, one episode from season 6, and 5 episodes from season 7. So, in the end, about 114 of the 142 episodes (roughly 80%) will be available on DVD with these newest releases.
- Mill Creek is best known for budget re-releases, but budget doesn't always mean lower quality, and it appears that the studio is bringing fans something a little better than what Sony brought fans (at about 1/6 of the original price even) as they prepare to bring Married... with Children - Seasons 3 and 4 to DVD. Not only will the release contain the original theme song (something that was difficult/impossible for Sony to obtain), but the episodes are expected to be unedited as well. We eagerly await this release!
RECENT HOME MEDIA REVIEWS ON SITCOMSONLINE
- Dr. Kildare - The Complete Second Season: Warner Archive brings together another release of one of TV's first medical dramas to leave a true legacy in a virtually flawless nine disc release, including one episode that was filmed in color as part of a special week of color programming on NBC that season.
MARCH 4 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- Starsky & Hutch - Season 1 (DVD, $9.98): Mill Creek brings the classic detective duo together again for re-release of the first season on DVD.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)
10/04 - The Andy Griffith Show - The Christmas Special (Colorized)
10/04 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #1 (Colorized)
10/11 - Dr. Ken - Season One
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
10/11 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Series
10/11 - Nurse Jackie - Seasons One and Two
10/11 - Weeds - Seasons One and Two
11/01 - Schitt's Creek - Seasons One and Two
11/08 - Family Matters - The Complete Ninth Season
11/08 - Your Family or Mine - Season One
11/15 - Community - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Lucy Show - The Complete Series
11/15 - The Mindy Project - Season Four
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Sunday, December 4
The Simpsons - "The Last Traction Hero" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
A workplace accident leaves Homer in a cast, and in a position to sue Mr. Burns. This leaves Marge unfulfilled, so she turns to an unexpected source for romance. Meanwhile, Lisa is made “Bus Monitor” and tries to keep the peace.
Son of Zorn - "Return of the Drinking Buddy" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Zorn’s old friend Headbutt Man (guest voice Rob Riggle) is coming to town. Unfortunately for Zorn, Headbutt Man is now sober. Meanwhile, Alan is invited to a party where his crush, Nancy (guest star Emily Wong), will be. Unfortunately, he has to take Headbutt man’s daughter with him.
Family Guy - "Carter and Tricia" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Carter buys the Pawtucket Patriot brewery and decides to cut some corners to save a few bucks. Peter overhears the plan and runs and tells investigative journalist Tricia Takanawa about Carter’s plan to use toxic chemicals in the beer cans. Meanwhile, Brian’s drivers’ license has expired and he enlists Stewie as an instructor.
The Last Man on Earth - "Whitney Houston, We Have a Problem" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
After finding a mysterious note left by Melissa that says “Goodbye,” the gang sets off to go look for her. Meanwhile, Gail gets stuck on a solo adventure of her own.
K.C. Undercover - "Holly Holly Not So Jolly" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Christmas time arrives and K.C. tells everyone she has to go pick up a last-minute gift, but instead goes to The Organization's therapist, Dr. Levinstein.
Mech X-4 - "Let's Survive in the Woods!" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Principal Grey sets a trap for Ryan, Harris and Spyder while they're on a camping trip, which leaves MECH-X4 and Mark in danger.
Best Friends Whenever - "The Christmas Curse" (Disney Channel, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Shelby and Cyd encourage a homesick Daisy to incorporate a festive 16th-century tradition into their annual Christmas party.
Monday, December 5
- Will Smith (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Watch Will on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Steve Harvey (The Steve Harvey Show) - Steve visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. He chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Jason Bateman (Arrested Development/The Hogan Family/It's Your Move) - Jason visits The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Gael García Bernal (Mozart in the Jungle) - Gael is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Steve Agee (The Sarah Silverman Program) - Steve appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- The Cast of Fuller House - The cast of Fuller House are guests on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Patricia Heaton (The Middle/Back to You/Everybody Loves Raymond) - Patricia stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Miss Piggy (The Muppets) - Miss Piggy and Harry perform Deck the Halls on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Meredith Hagner (Search Party/Men at Work) - Meredith is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Lauren Graham (The Odd Couple/Conrad Bloom/Townies) - Lauren appears on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- T.J. Miller (Silicon Valley/The Goodwin Games/Carpoolers) - T.J. talks about Office Christmas Party on the AOL Build Show at 3pm. He will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET. He can also be heard on The Morning Mash Up on SiriusXM at 9:50am.
- Bradley Whitford (Happyish/Trophy Wife) - Bradley is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Josh McDermitt (Retired at 35) - Josh can be heard on The Morning Mash Up on SiriusXM at 10:45am.
- Erinn Hayes (Kevin Can Wait/Guys with Kids/Worst Week) - Erinn talks about Kevin Can Wait on the AOL Build Show at 4pm.