Saturday, March 01, 2014
SitcomsOnline Digest: An Odd Couple Remake on CBS?; Eight is Enough and In the Heat of the Night DVD Updates
- The Odd Couple seems to be on inching closer to becoming a reality again, with Matthew Perry filling Jack Klugman's shoes of Oscar Madison. Right now, though, it is just an odd person, as there is no Felix Unger. Can a remake about two divorced men sharing an apartment actually make it to air some day? We now just sit and wait. (Deadline)
- Parks and Recreation has always had plenty of politicians stop by for cameos on the series, including Joe Biden, John McCain, Barbara Boxer, and Olympia Snowe. This week, though, it was announced that First Lady Michelle Obama will appear on the season finale. This is far from the first time that a first lady has appeared in an NBC sitcom, though, as First Lady Nancy Reagan appeared in a 1983 episode of Diff'rent Strokes. (Hollywood Reporter)
- Meanwhile, recently revealed documents show that in 1995, another first lady, Hillary Clinton, was approached to appear in Home Improvement (ABC's top-rated series at the time), but couldn't manage to get her. (Deadline)
- Game show host Jim Lange, best known as the host of The Dating Game, died this week at the age of 81. He also made a few sitcom appearances throughout his career on Bewitched, Laverne & Shirley, Parker Lewis Can't Lose, and Moesha. (Time)
- TV One is on the verge of premiering a new series called Unsung Hollywood, which tells the behind-the-scenes stories of some of of Hollywood's rarely told stories. On March 12, What's Happening!! will be featured in this new series. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- Warner Archive has been steadily releasing Eight is Enough on DVD, so it should come as no surprise that they would release the fifth (and final) season of the series on DVD. This week, we got some confirmation from the studio that it is not only on the way, but in fact, work is being completed for this release. The studio responds to a Facebook post with the message "We are finishing up work on S5 at the present time. Thanks." We can't wait! No word on any of the post-series movies, though.
- In The Heat of the Night has had a very unusual DVD release history, and TGG is about to release the rest of the series (technically, you can put an asterisk or 28 asterisks next to that) on March 11. On this date, the studio will release In the Heat of the Night - Seasons 2 and 3, In the Heat of the Night - Season 6, and In the Heat of the Night - Seasons 7. This trio of releases means that all eight seasons of the series will be represented on DVD. However, it does not mean that all 142 episodes of the series will be available on DVD. While seasons 1 and 8 (which was technically a series of four movies that followed the show rather than another season in proper terms) are completely available, six episodes were missing from the last two sets of releases (seasons 4 and 5) due to music releases, and a lot more will be missing this time: 16 episodes from the season 2 and 3 set, one episode from season 6, and 5 episodes from season 7. So, in the end, about 114 of the 142 episodes (roughly 80%) will be available on DVD with these newest releases.
- Mill Creek is best known for budget re-releases, but budget doesn't always mean lower quality, and it appears that the studio is bringing fans something a little better than what Sony brought fans (at about 1/6 of the original price even) as they prepare to bring Married... with Children - Seasons 3 and 4 to DVD. Not only will the release contain the original theme song (something that was difficult/impossible for Sony to obtain), but the episodes are expected to be unedited as well. We eagerly await this release!
RECENT HOME MEDIA REVIEWS ON SITCOMSONLINE
- Dr. Kildare - The Complete Second Season: Warner Archive brings together another release of one of TV's first medical dramas to leave a true legacy in a virtually flawless nine disc release, including one episode that was filmed in color as part of a special week of color programming on NBC that season.
MARCH 4 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- Starsky & Hutch - Season 1 (DVD, $9.98): Mill Creek brings the classic detective duo together again for re-release of the first season on DVD.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, March 24
Last Man Standing - "Bad Heir Day" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Mike and Vanessa think it’s time for newlyweds Mandy and Kyle to move out, but when Chuck relays some unexpected news about Kyle’s absentee mom, Mike has second thoughts. Meanwhile, Eve tells Ryan that Boyd is making up stories about his Dad’s real job, because he’s embarrassed about being home-schooled.
Dr. Ken - "Clark's Big Surprise" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Ken accidentally finds out that Clark and Connor are planning their surprise wedding, he has to find a way to get everyone to come. But Damona finds out and to get Allison there, she tells her that Ken is going to surprise her by renewing their wedding vows. Guest performances from the Grammy Award-winning band, Train, featuring lead singer Pat Monahan and guitarist Jerry Becker.
Friday, March 24
- Sofia Black-D'Elia (The Mick) - Watch Sofia on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Tracy Morgan (30 Rock/The Tracy Morgan Show) - Tracy is on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Malin Akerman (Trophy Wife/Sin City Saints) - Malin appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Zach Galifianakis (Baskets) - Zach is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Laura Dern (Enlightened) - Laura appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jermaine Fowler (Superior Donuts) - Jermaine is a guest on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Michael Keaton (Working Stiffs/All's Fair) - Michael visits LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben are guests on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Martha Plimpton (The Real O'Neals/Raising Hope) - Martha appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Carl Reiner (The Dick Van Dyke Show) and Rob Reiner (All in the Family) - Carl and Rob are guests on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She also joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) and Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) - Jane and Lily talk about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brooklyn talks about Malibu Country on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Rhea Perlman (Cheers/Kirstie) - Rhea talks about Me and My Grandma on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Emma Roberts (Scream Queens/Unfabulous) - Emma talks about The Blackcoat's Daughter on People Now at 8:30am.
- Josh Henderson (One on One) - Josh is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.