Saturday, March 01, 2014
SitcomsOnline Digest: An Odd Couple Remake on CBS?; Eight is Enough and In the Heat of the Night DVD Updates
- The Odd Couple seems to be on inching closer to becoming a reality again, with Matthew Perry filling Jack Klugman's shoes of Oscar Madison. Right now, though, it is just an odd person, as there is no Felix Unger. Can a remake about two divorced men sharing an apartment actually make it to air some day? We now just sit and wait. (Deadline)
- Parks and Recreation has always had plenty of politicians stop by for cameos on the series, including Joe Biden, John McCain, Barbara Boxer, and Olympia Snowe. This week, though, it was announced that First Lady Michelle Obama will appear on the season finale. This is far from the first time that a first lady has appeared in an NBC sitcom, though, as First Lady Nancy Reagan appeared in a 1983 episode of Diff'rent Strokes. (Hollywood Reporter)
- Meanwhile, recently revealed documents show that in 1995, another first lady, Hillary Clinton, was approached to appear in Home Improvement (ABC's top-rated series at the time), but couldn't manage to get her. (Deadline)
- Game show host Jim Lange, best known as the host of The Dating Game, died this week at the age of 81. He also made a few sitcom appearances throughout his career on Bewitched, Laverne & Shirley, Parker Lewis Can't Lose, and Moesha. (Time)
- TV One is on the verge of premiering a new series called Unsung Hollywood, which tells the behind-the-scenes stories of some of of Hollywood's rarely told stories. On March 12, What's Happening!! will be featured in this new series. (SitcomsOnline)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- Warner Archive has been steadily releasing Eight is Enough on DVD, so it should come as no surprise that they would release the fifth (and final) season of the series on DVD. This week, we got some confirmation from the studio that it is not only on the way, but in fact, work is being completed for this release. The studio responds to a Facebook post with the message "We are finishing up work on S5 at the present time. Thanks." We can't wait! No word on any of the post-series movies, though.
- In The Heat of the Night has had a very unusual DVD release history, and TGG is about to release the rest of the series (technically, you can put an asterisk or 28 asterisks next to that) on March 11. On this date, the studio will release In the Heat of the Night - Seasons 2 and 3, In the Heat of the Night - Season 6, and In the Heat of the Night - Seasons 7. This trio of releases means that all eight seasons of the series will be represented on DVD. However, it does not mean that all 142 episodes of the series will be available on DVD. While seasons 1 and 8 (which was technically a series of four movies that followed the show rather than another season in proper terms) are completely available, six episodes were missing from the last two sets of releases (seasons 4 and 5) due to music releases, and a lot more will be missing this time: 16 episodes from the season 2 and 3 set, one episode from season 6, and 5 episodes from season 7. So, in the end, about 114 of the 142 episodes (roughly 80%) will be available on DVD with these newest releases.
- Mill Creek is best known for budget re-releases, but budget doesn't always mean lower quality, and it appears that the studio is bringing fans something a little better than what Sony brought fans (at about 1/6 of the original price even) as they prepare to bring Married... with Children - Seasons 3 and 4 to DVD. Not only will the release contain the original theme song (something that was difficult/impossible for Sony to obtain), but the episodes are expected to be unedited as well. We eagerly await this release!
RECENT HOME MEDIA REVIEWS ON SITCOMSONLINE
- Dr. Kildare - The Complete Second Season: Warner Archive brings together another release of one of TV's first medical dramas to leave a true legacy in a virtually flawless nine disc release, including one episode that was filmed in color as part of a special week of color programming on NBC that season.
MARCH 4 HOME MEDIA RELEASES
- Starsky & Hutch - Season 1 (DVD, $9.98): Mill Creek brings the classic detective duo together again for re-release of the first season on DVD.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April)
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
04/04 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fifth Season
04/11 - Father Knows Best - Season Five
04/11 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Third Season
04/11 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/11 - Veep - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, April 29
Henry Danger - "Stuck in Two Holes" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Whaaaat?!? Captain Man and Kid Danger are each stuck in a hole?!? Charlotte and Jasper better go help, 'cuz Schwoz is takin' a bean bath!
Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn - "I Want My Mae B. Back" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After Mae starts to spend more time with her new boyfriend, Dawn begins to get jealous so enlists Nicky, Ricky, and Dicky to help separate them so that she can have her friend back.
Sunday, April 30
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - Catch NeNe on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am and LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- America Ferrera (Superstore) - America drops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ike Barinholtz (The Mindy Project) - Ike appears on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Joel McHale (The Great Indoors/Community) - Joel is a guest on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jake Johnson (New Girl) - Jake visits The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Hank Azaria (Brockmire/The Simpsons/Free Agents) - Hank stops by Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Al Madrigal (About a Boy/Welcome to the Captain/Gary Unmarried) - Al appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Kevin Nealon (Man with a Plan/Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Ashton Kutcher (The Ranch/Two and a Half Men/That '70s Show) - Ashton appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Allison Janney (Mom/Mr. Sunshine) - Allison teams up with Mario Batali to make a cheesy, decadent Gnocchi Al Telefono and dishes about her new Broadway show on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Charlie Hunnam (Undeclared) - Charlie will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11:15am.
- Nick Robinson (Melissa & Joey) - Nick talks about his new film Everything, Everything on the AOL Build Show at 1pm.