Wednesday, March 12, 2014
CBS Summer 2014 Schedule; Remembering Sheila MacRae of The Honeymooners and Producer Ted Bergmann of Three's Company
CBS has announced premiere dates for its summer 2014 slate of original programming, which includes the event series Under the Dome and Extant, the new steamy legal drama Reckless, the police drama Unforgettable and the return of the summer reality hit Big Brother. Together, CBS will present approximately 90 hours of first-run series programming this summer. It all starts with Big Brother, hosted by Julie Chen, which will debut early for the second straight summer, beginning Wednesday, June 25 at 8:00PM ET/PT with the first of its three weekly broadcasts. The Thursday edition, featuring the live eviction show, premieres June 26 at 9:00 PM with the first eviction the following week (July 3). The Sunday broadcast premieres June 29 at 8:00 PM ET/PT. Beginning June 29, Sundays will feature a three-hour block of all original entertainment programming with the aforementioned Big Brother at 8:00 PM ET/PT, leading into new drama Reckless at 9:00PM ET/PT and followed by the third season of Unforgettable at 10:00PM ET/PT. As previously announced, Under the Dome, last summer's #1 program, returns for its sophomore season on Monday, June 30 at 10:00PM ET/PT. The premiere episode will be written by Stephen King, on whose bestselling novel the series is based. The summer event series Extant, starring Academy Award winner Halle Berry, will now premiere Wednesday, July 9 at 9:00PM ET/PT instead of its previously announced July 2 debut.
Actress Sheila MacRae, who starred as Alice Kramden in The Jackie Gleason Show, has died. She died on March 6 at the Lillian Booth Actor's Home in Englewood, New Jersey. She suffered from dementia but was otherwise in good health and died of natural causes. Ms. MacRae was 92.
MacRae's early television credits included Search for Tomorrow, I Love Lucy (as herself), Lux Video Theatre, The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and The Trials of O'Brien. She played Alice Kramden in around 50 episodes of The Jackie Gleason Show (aka The Color Honeymooners) from 1966-1970. She later co-hosted The Sheila MacRae show in 1971. Her other guest appearances included The Love Boat, General Hospital and Murder, She Wrote. In 1990, she played Marilyn Buckman in the NBC dramedy Parenthood.
Survivors include her children Heather and William "Gar" MacRae, six grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. Her daughter Meredith (actress in My Three Sons and Petticoat Junction) died in 2000 and son Robert in 2010. She was a beautiful, talented and funny woman. She will be deeply missed.
Television producer Ted Bergmann, who worked as an executive producer for Three's Company and its spinoffs, has died. He died on March 2 following surgery at St. John's Health Center in Santa Monica, California. Mr. Bergmann was 93.
Bergmann worked at the Dumont Television Network beginning in 1947. He sold commercial time to clients for such early Dumont TV shows such as The Original Amateur Hour, Fashions on Parade, Captain Video and His Video Rangers, The Arthur Murray Party, Cavalcade of Stars and Life Is Worth Living. He later worked as a producer of the Grammy Awards for seven years.
He was an executive in charge of production for Three's Company for all eight seasons on ABC from 1976-1984. He worked in the same capacity on its spinoff series The Ropers and Three's a Crowd. In 1998, he was interviewed for the E! True Hollywood Story on Three's Company.
The Archive of American Television conducted an extensive interview with him on March 17, 2004. Survivors include his wife Beverly, six children, two stepsons, 14 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. We thank him for the entertainment he brought us over the years. He will be greatly missed.
Note: There are two people with credits that are mistakenly combined on IMDB and Wikipedia. Ted Bergmann is the executive producer born in 1920. Ted Bergman is a writer who worked on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, Sanford and Son, What's Happening!!, Sanford, Gimme a Break!, What's Happening Now!!, Small Wonder, Out of This World, The Munsters Today and It's Garry Shandling's Show. We posted a behind-the-scenes article about Sanford and Son written by him last June. Writer Ted Bergman was born in 1940 and is still living. His website is Dogs and Cats Go Hollywood.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (March)
03/03 - CHiPs - The Complete Third Season
03/10 - Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete Series
03/10 - Hey Dude - The Complete Series (Walmart Exclusive)
03/10 - Petticoat Junction - Family Favorite Episodes
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 5 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Season 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Bewitched - Seasons 5 & 6 (Mill Creek)
03/17 - Maude - The Complete Series (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete First Season (Shout! Factory)
03/17 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Second Season (Shout! Factory)
03/24 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 2 (MPI Home Video)
03/31 - Silicon Valley - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
03/31 - Veep - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Thursday, March 26
Liv and Maddie - "Neighbors-a-Rooney" (Disney Channel, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Liv rekindles her friendship with Holden Dippledorf in the midst of a family feud; Joey meets someone new at his Intergalactic Council meeting.
Dog with a Blog - "Stan Sleep Talks" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Stan starts talking in his sleep; the kids ask Bennett for psychological advice to help Stan with his problem.
Thursday, March 26
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Catch Zooey on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Jimmie Walker (Good Times/At Ease/Bustin' Loose) - Jimmie is a guest on a repeat of The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Elisha Cuthbert (One Big Happy/Happy Endings) - Elisha appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC. She also hangs at the kitchen table on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Natasha Leggero (Free Agents) - Natasha is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Elle Kemper (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt/The Office) - Elle stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Dakota Johnson (Ben and Kate) - Dakota appears on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Regina King (227) - Regina stops by The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations. She talks about dating in Hollywood and reveals behind the scenes secrets from the set of the hit show Scandal on The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Tom Arnold (Roseanne/Tom/The Tom Show) - Tom is a guest on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 3am on BET.
- Freddie Prinze Jr. (Freddie) - Freddie appears on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 3am on BET.
- Wanda Sykes (The New Adventures of Old Christine/Wanda at Large) - Wanda guest hosts The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Penelope Ann Miller (A Minute with Stan Hooper/The Popcorn Kid) - Penelope talks about her new series American Crime on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Jeremy Piven (Entourage/Ellen) - Jeremy talks about Mr. Selfridge and Entourage on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 9am hour. He also chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Bella Thorne (Shake It Up) - Bella chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Richard Kind (Mad About You/Spin City) - Richard is tentatively scheduled to appear on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Kelsey Grammer (Partners/Frasier/Cheers) - Kelsey is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly) - Billy will be on PIX11 Morning News on WPIX in New York at 7:40am.