Saturday, January 11, 2014
- The Big Bang Theory has been the biggest thing on TV, so it certainly must be declining in ratings now, right? Perhaps not. Thursday night's episode set a record high for the series that seems to be coming about as big as the real big bang. (TV Guide)
- Even if nobody likes to work with Chevy Chase, he still has plenty of fans, and many of those came from his work in the National Lampoon's Vacation movie franchise. Those fans will be particularly interested in seeing if a potential ABC project featuring Chase and Vacation co-star Beverly D'Angelo, eyed for the 2015-2016 season, makes it to air. If it ever does make it to air (and keep in mind, he's Chevy Chase and you're not, and unlike you, there's a lot he can do to destroy it before it even happens), the single camera comedy would feature Chase and D'Angelo as two grandparents who would rather be far away from their grandchildren, but unfortunate circumstances force them to care for them. (Deadline)
- Saturday Night Live has been dealing with a mini-controversy lately over the fact that there are so many African American female characters in sketches (but no actual African American females in the cast), but now they've announced that Sasheer Zamata will be joining the cast to fill the roles that Kenan Thompson and Jay Pharoah won't do anymore, beginning next week. (Deadline)
- Craig Robinson, who previously appeared in The Office, appears to be getting another chance in the NBC primetime lineup with another sitcom (but as the star this time). NBC has given a six episode order to Mr. Robinson, a comedy about a middle school music teacher. No word on when we'll see it. (A.V. Club)
HOME MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
- We hinted a few months ago that Shout! Factory had some classic Fox sitcom that they would be finishing up on DVD, and that is getting much closer to reality now. On May 27, Shout! will bring fans The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Series, and it will come at a $129.99 MSRP.
- Shout! Factory will also be moving ahead with a pair of season releases of series that have already seen a complete series release, with The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - Season Three on May 6 and Barney Miller - The Complete Fifth Season on May 13.
RECENT HOME MEDIA REVIEWS ON SITCOMSONLINE
- Perry Mason - The Movie Collection - Volume One: The release from CBS brings the first six of these movies, which debuted decades after the end of the original series, in a three disc set. It's a barebones release, but fans are certain to appreciate seeing CBS move ahead with completing everything in the Perry Mason franchise.
- The Courtship of Eddie's Father - The Complete Third Season (DVD, $34.95): The Warner Archive release compiles every episode from the third season of the series, which is also the final season.
- Hazel - The Complete Final Season (DVD, $34.93): Despite once appearing to be unlikely to see any further releases after a long wait following the first season, Shout! Factory brings the fifth (and final) season of the Shirley Booth classic to DVD. This season, she has a whole new family, thanks to a network change.
- The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - Season Two (DVD, $29.93): The second season of the classic sitcom appears on DVD once again for those who did not pick up the complete series release.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)
09/06 - Coach - Season One (Mill Creek) / Season Two / Seasons One and Two
09/06 - South Park - The Complete Ninteenth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
09/13 - Newhart - The Complete Sixth Season
09/20 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Fifth Season
09/20 - Family Matters - The Complete Eighth Season
09/20 - Modern Family - The Complete Season 7
09/20 - Veep - Season 5
09/27 - The Wonder Years - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Sunday, October 23
The Simpsons - "Treehouse of Horror XXVI" (Fox, 7:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
In an encore of last season’s Halloween episode, Sideshow Bob finally kills Bart, only to reanimate him; Homer wakes up with short-term memory loss; and Lisa, Bart, and Milhouse get super powers from radiation.
Bob's Burgers - "Teen-a-Witch" (Fox, 7:30PM ET/PT)
With Halloween quickly approaching, Tina reveals her brilliant idea that will finally win her first place in the annual costume contest. When Tammy steals her idea, Tina is forced to seek the help of Mr. Ambrose, who leads her to alternate and other-worldly methods of winning. Meanwhile, Bob is on a mission to figure out who is stealing his perfectly crafted pumpkins.
The Simpsons - "Trust But Clarify" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Lisa and Bart investigate Krusty’s suspicious new “Krustaceans” candy. Meanwhile, Homer wants a promotion at the nuclear plant and asks Marge to help him dress the part, and news anchor Kent Brockman struggles to find his feet in the changing media world.
Son of Zorn - "A Taste of Zephyria" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
After learning how Zephyria is depicted in the media, Zorn attempts to teach Alan about his culture. Meanwhile, Edie wages war with her new neighbors over their talking garden gnome.
Family Guy - "Inside Family Guy" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
FAMILY GUY takes viewers behind the scenes of a regular “FAMILY GUY” production week, with James Woods as the guide. See the ins-and-outs of what goes into the making of a “FAMILY GUY” episode and watch the drama unfold as Peter is replaced and ends up in the office of Fox Television Group Chairmen and CEOs Dana Walden and Gary Newman to pitch his very own new series.
The Last Man on Earth - "Five Hoda Kotbs" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
A post-apocalyptic road trip has everyone at war with each other and Gail is really pushed to her breaking point.
Bizaardvark - "Spoiler Alert: Belissa Returns" (Disney Channel, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Paige and Frankie hit a writing slump and other bad things start happening to them, Paige begins to think they are cursed; Amelia and Dirk are at odds when the lifestyle Diva declutters the Dare Lair.
Sunday, October 23
- Patti LaBelle (Out All Night) - Catch Patti on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Ricky Gervais (The Office) - Watch Ricky on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) - Tom appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He also talks about Inferno on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Elijah Wood (Wilfred) - Elijah is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Ana Gasteyer (People of Earth/Lady Dynamite/Suburgatory) - Ana visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation) - Nick stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ron Howard (Happy Days/The Andy Griffith Show) - Ron appears on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Zooey is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Michael Chiklis (Daddio) - Michael drops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Jameela Jamil (The Good Place) - Jameela appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Aya Cash (You're the Worst) - Aya talks about You're the Worst on the AOL Build ShoW at 2pm. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) - Will is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Mary Steenburgen (The Last Man on Earth/Ink) - Mary talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. She will also be on the AOL Build Show at 12:30pm.
- Anna Camp (The Mindy Project) - Anna talks about Good Girls Revolt on People Now at 8:30am.
- James Brolin (Life in Pieces) - James is a guest on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.