Friday, January 17, 2014
The castaways have lost another beloved member of their crew. Actor Russell Johnson, who became known to generations of TV fans as "The Professor," the fix-it man who kept his fellow Gilligan's Island castaways supplied with gadgets, has died. Johnson died Thursday morning (Jan. 16, 2014) at his home in Washington State of natural causes, said his agent, Mike Eisenstadt. Before Gilligan's Island, Johnson had appeared in dozens of films and television shows. His TV credits included 77 Sunset Strip, Gunsmoke, Rawhide, Wagon Train, The Lone Ranger, The Twilight Zone, Ben Casey, Hawaiian Eye and Death Valley Days. Although he didn't work as often after Gilligan's Island, Johnson remained active into the late 1990s, appearing on such shows as ALF, The Jeffersons, My Two Dads, Dynasty and Newhart.
During its three-season run on CBS, critics repeatedly lambasted Gilligan's Island as insipid. But after its cancellation in 1967, it found generations of new fans in reruns and reunion movies in the '70s and '80s (Rescue from Gilligan's Island, The Castaways on Gilligan's Island, The Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island, and animated series Gilligan's Planet). One of the most recent of the reunion films was 2001's Surviving Gilligan's Island: The Incredibly True Story of the Longest Three-Hour Tour in History, in which other actors portrayed the original seven-member cast while Johnson and two other surviving cast members narrated and reminisced.
As far as TV marathon tributes, The MeTV Network will pay tribute to Russell Johnson by featuring four episodes prominently featuring the character Professor Roy Hinkley. Part one aired last night from 8:00- 9:00pm ET/PT (episodes: "Pass the Vegetables, Please" and "Forget Me Not") and part two will air Sunday morning from 11:00am-12:00pm ET/PT (episodes: "Ship Ahoax" and "V For Vitamins"). We will let you know if anything else comes up, as TV Land coincidentally just started airing the series again after a decade. Mr. Johnson will be deeply missed and now we are down to two Gilligan's Island cast members: Dawn Wells and Tina Louise. Mr. Johnson was 89.
Canadian-born American actor, who was best known for his role as the group's manager Reuben Kincaid in The Partridge Family, has died. He died on January 16 in Jacksonville, Florida of complications of myelodysplastic syndrome. Mr. Madden was 82.
Madden's career in Hollywood began with appearances on The Ed Sullivan Show. His first starring role was as Counselor Pruett in the 1965-1966 NBC sitcom Camp Runamuck. He had a regular role as a milk-drinking, confetti-throwing sad sack on Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In from 1968–1969 on NBC. His other early guest appearances included Accidental Family, Bewitched and Love, American Style.
Madden played the fast-talking, child-hating agent/manager Reuben Kincaid in The Partridge Family. The popular sitcom ran for 4 seasons and 96 episodes on ABC from 1970-1974. He appeared in a 2003 Biography special on the series. The C'mon Get Happy fan site conducted an extensive interview with him in 2009.
He later had a recurring role as Mel's Diner customer and Tommy's basketball coach Earl Hicks in Alice from 1978-1985. His other sitcom guest appearances included Happy Days, Barney Miller, The Love Boat, The New Leave it to Beaver, Life with Lucy, Herman's Head (as the opening narrator), Married with Children, Boy Meets World and Sabrina the Teenage Witch. He released his memoirs, Reuben on Wry: The Memoirs of Dave Madden, in 2007.
Our friends at Just My Show interviewed him in 2007. Survivors include his wife, Sandra Martin; two children from his first marriage, Selena Madden and Michael Fox; a stepdaughter, Alexandra Martin; a sister; and two grandchildren. His characters on The Partridge Family and Alice were very memorable. The scenes with Reuben and Danny were always funny. He will be greatly missed.
Antenna TV will commemorate the life of Dave Madden (Reuben Kincaid) this Saturday, January 18th with a 7-hour Partridge Family marathon beginning at 1pm ET and running through 8pm ET. The following episodes will air: "What and Get Out of Show Business", "They Shoot Managers, Don't They", "Dora Dora Dora", "Home is Where the Heart Was", "Fellini, Bergman & Partridge", "Helllp", "Each Dawn I Diet", "Swiss Family Partridge", "Bednobs and Drumsticks", "Me and My Shadow", "Hate Thy Neighbor", "Reuben Kincaid Lives", "Al in the Family", and "Two for the Show."
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of Jan. 20-24, 2014, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVRs (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, January 20, 2014
- Denis Leary (The Job) - Watch Denis on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Melissa Joan Hart (Baby Daddy/Sabrina, the Teenage Witch and Joey Lawrence (Baby Daddy/Brotherly Love/Gimme a Break!) - The stars of Baby Daddy will be guests on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Diane Farr (Like Family/The Job) - Diane surprises viewers with a "Mom's Weekend Challenge" on Katie, so check your local listings.
- Malcolm-Jamal Warner (Reed Between the Lines/The Cosby Show/Malcolm & Eddie) - Malcolm-Jamal visits The Arsenio Hall Show, so check your local listings.
- Tasha Smith (Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse/The Tom Show/Boston Common) - Tasha is guest co-host and teams with Michael Symon to cook his own favorite hearty main dish—brown butter mash and burgundy beef stew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Kim Richards (Hello, Larry) - Kim appears on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Andy Samberg (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) - Catch Andy on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Justin Long (Ed) - Justin appears on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Valerie Azlynn (Sullivan & Son/Welcome to the Captain) - Valerie drops by The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- David Spade (Rules of Engagement/8 Simple Rules/Just Shoot Me) - David is part of the guest panel on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Busy Philipps (Cougar Town) - Busy is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Kathy Griffin (Suddenly Susan) - Kathy visits The Arsenio Hall Show, so check your local listings.
- Charlie Sheen (Anger Management/Two and a Half Men) - Watch Charlie on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Allison Williams (Girls) - Allison is a guest on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Jake Johnson (New Girl) - Jake stops by Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Kevin Nealon (Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin appears on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Gabourey Sidibe (The Big C) - Gabourey is part of the guest panel on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Matt LeBlanc (Episodes/Friends) - Matt visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Seth Green (Dads/Greg the Bunny) - Seth stops by The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Kirstie Alley (Kirstie/Veronica's Closet/Cheers) - Kirstie chats on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs) - Wendi appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Nick Kroll (The League/Caveman) - Nick is a guest on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Tia and Tamera Mowry (Sister, Sister) - Tia and Tamera will be guests on Larry King Now at 2/5pm PT/ET on Ora.tv and Hulu.
- Matt LeBlanc (Episodes/Friends) - Catch Matt on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Martha Plimpton (Raising Hope) - Martha appears on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt (3rd Rock from the Sun) - Joseph is a guest on Tavis Smiley on PBS, so check your local listings.
- Joel McHale (Community) - Joel visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Ellie Kemper (The Office) - Ellie stops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Kevin Nealon (Weeds/Hiller and Diller/Champs) - Kevin talks about his comedy tour on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations. He will also be on New York Live on WNBC at 12:30pm ET.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe opens up about the moment she was rushed to the hospital, and could have died on The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Gabourey Sidibe (The Big C) - Gabourey appears on The Arsenio Hall Show, so check your local listings.
- Kym Whitley (Let's Stay Together/Animal Practice/Sparks) - Kym is a guest on The Better Show, so check your local listings.
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt (3rd Rock from the Sun) - Watch Joseph on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother/Doogie Howser, M.D.) - Neil visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds/Lost at Home) - Connie appears on a repeat of The Better Show, so check your local listings.
- Bella Thorne (Shake It Up) - Bella is a guest on Pop Sugar on TV Guide Network at 6pm and on the next day on their website at noon.
- Margaret Cho (All-American Girl) - Margaret will be featured on Oprah: Where Are They Now? at 9pm ET/PT on OWN.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Sunday, March 26
The Simpsons - "Dad Behavior" (Fox, 7:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Homer finds a new app that makes his life much easier and outsources his father-son bonding. Meanwhile, Grampa finds that he is about to be a father again.
Bob's Burgers - "Aquaticism" / "Ain't Miss Debatin'" (Fox, 7:30PM ET/PT)
When Tina learns that the aquarium is in danger of closing, the Belcher children devise a scheme to keep it running. Meanwhile, Bob realizes that he could learn a thing or two from Linda’s customer service skills. Then, when Tina is recruited by the debate team, she finds unexpected success and an even more unexpected relationship. Meanwhile, Louise and Gene convince their parents to help fund a stop-motion movie focusing on a surprising subject matter.
Making History - "Chadwick's Angels" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
In need of a victory, the trio heads back to the 1990s to give Dan another shot at his childhood dream: finishing the infamous “Bellybuster” ice cream sundae at a local parlor. As Deb bonds with the parlor’s owner, Chris is on a mission to save a life in honor of his late British friend. But all of their plans are derailed when Dan runs into the bully that tormented him.
Family Guy - "Peter's Lost Youth" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Peter gets jealous of Lois when she upstages him at a Red Sox fantasy baseball camp. Meanwhile, Stewie runs away from home when Meg is left to babysit him.
The Last Man on Earth - "Find This Thing We Need To" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Carol makes a big discovery, enlisting Tandy and Erica to help her track down some answers. Meanwhile, Todd has a major breakthrough with Melissa.
Sunday, March 26
- Sanaa Lathan (Family Guy/The Cleveland Show/LateLine) - Catch Sanaa on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) - Watch Chris on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Richard Dreyfuss (Your Family or Mine) - Richard appears on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) and Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) - Lily and Jane are guests on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. They also chat with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Craig Ferguson (The Drew Carey Show) - Craig visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He will also be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Rachel Dratch (Imaginary Mary) - Rachel is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Pete Holmes (Crashing) - Pete stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jenna Elfman (Imaginary Mary/1600 Penn/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex/Dharma & Greg) - Jenna appears on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Kaitlin Olson (The Mick/It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) - Kaitlin drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi appears on a repeat of Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa is a guest on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mark Consuelos (Alpha House/Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Tahj Mowry, Derek Theler and Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Baby Daddy) - Tahj, Derek and Jean-Luc are guests on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Tika Sumpter (The Game) - Tika appears on a repeat of The Real, so check your local listings.
- Vanessa Bell Calloway (Rhythm & Blues) - Vanessa is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- June Diane Raphael (Grace and Frankie) - June talks about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben talk TV Land's Nobodies on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brookyln stops by People Now at 8:30am.
- Marcia Gay Harden (Trophy Wife) - Marcia opens up about her favorite part of being in the 50 Shades movies on People Now at 8:30am. \
- Tracee Ellis Ross (black-ish/Girlfriends) - Tracee dishes about her Golden Globe win on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.