Tuesday, January 07, 2014
ABC Family Picks Up Tori Spelling, Jennie Garth, Emily Osment Sitcoms; FX's Chozen Gets Sneak Peek on Xbox One via FXNOW App
ABC Family announced the series pick-up of two half-hour comedy series Mystery Girls, starring and executive produced by Tori Spelling and Jennie Garth, and Young & Hungry, starring Emily Osment, from executive producer Ashley Tisdale. Production will commence on both series in Los Angeles in early 2014, and both will premiere later in 2014. Both comedies are multi-camera sitcoms and will join ABC Family's hit multi-cam sitcoms Melissa & Joey and Baby Daddy. Mystery Girls, starring Tori Spelling and Jennie Garth follows two former detective TV show starlets brought back together by a real-life mystery. Charlie Contour (Garth) is a suburban housewife and mother, while Holly Hamilton (Spelling) longs for her glory days in the '90s when she was on television. Both of their lives are disrupted when Nick (Miguel Pinzon), a witness to a crime and a 'Mystery Girls' fanatic, will only speak to the infamous duo, and the former friends must reunite and put their TV crime-solving skills to the test. Tori Spelling (Beverly Hills, 90210, Tori & Dean: Inn Love), Jennie Garth (Beverly Hills, 90210, What I Like About You) and newcomer Miguel Pinzon (A New York Love Story) star in the series. Tori Spelling, Jennie Garth and Maggie Malina (Single Ladies) will serve as executive producers. The story is by Tori Spelling and Shepard Boucher (Men at Work). The pilot was written by Shepard Boucher.
In Young & Hungry, two worlds collide when Josh (Jonathan Sadowski), a wealthy young tech entrepreneur, meets Gabi (Emily Osment), a feisty young food blogger, looking to be his personal chef. Gabi is desperate for the job and must prove herself, mostly to Josh's aide (Rex Lee), who prefers a famous chef for the job. When Josh enlists Gabi to prepare a romantic meal for him and his girlfriend, the dinner goes awry and Gabi finds herself in a very awkward position. With the help of her best friend Sofia (Aimee Carrero) and Josh's housekeeper (Kym Whitley), Gabi turns a difficult situation into an opportunity for employment and maybe even love. Young & Hungry stars Emily Osment (Hannah Montana), Jonathan Sadowski ($#*! My Dad Says), Rex Lee (Entourage, Suburgatory), Aimee Carrero (Blue Lagoon: The Awakening) and Kym Whitley (Animal Practice) with Annie Potts (GCB, Designing Women) as a recurring guest star. The series is executive produced by Eric Tannenbaum and Kim Tannenbaum (Two and a Half Men), CBS Television Studios, Relativity Television, Jessica Rhoades and Ashley Tisdale (High School Musical). The pilot was written by David Holden (Accidentally on Purpose). Gabi Moskowitz, a San Francisco based food blogger, of BrokeAssGourmet.com, contributed to the development of this project. Stay with us for premiere dates!
FX Networks is teaming with Xbox One to offer an exclusive sneak peek of the pilot episode of its newest animated comedy, Chozen, through the FXNOW app beginning Monday, January 6. The 13-episode series premieres next Monday, January 13 at 10:30 PM ET/PT on FX, following all-new episodes of the critically-acclaimed comedy Archer. The series is an animated comedy about its title character, "Chozen," a gay white rapper fresh out of prison. Armed with a new message, Chozen is on a quest for redemption and to claim his rightful position as the world's top rap artist. His music and lyrics take aim at the stereotypes of machismo and misogyny that is synonymous with rap music. And his new world view has been shaped by his time in prison. The voice cast features Bobby Moynihan, Michael Peña, Hannibal Buress, Nick Swardson, Cliff "Method Man" Smith and Kathryn Hahn. Grant Dekernion, who created Chozen, serves as Writer/Executive Producer of the series, and Tom Brady serves as Executive Producer/Show runner. Danny McBride, Jody Hill, David Gordon Green, and Brandon James from Rough House Pictures (Eastbound & Down) are Executive Producers. Adam Reed and Matt Thompson of Floyd County Productions (Archer) are Executive Producers and their company will animate the series. The series is produced by FX Productions.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, February 28
Fresh Off the Boat - "Living While Eddie" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
After her precious morning papaya goes missing and the dishwasher was used for its actual purpose rather than just a drying rack, Jessica automatically accuses Eddie as the culprit. Yet when a record store manager accuses him of stealing a CD, she realizes he has other motives for his actions. Meanwhile, Louis and Emery are bursting with excitement when a TV crew comes to shoot an infomercial at Cattleman’s Ranch.
The Real O'Neals - "The Real Heartbreak" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Devastated by his break-up with Brett, Kenny tags along with Pat and Jimmy to a Lonely Hearts happy hour, but when they try to use Kenny’s sadness to get attention from single ladies, Kenny inadvertently steals the show. Meanwhile, Eileen shuns the usual Valentine’s Day traditions until a chance encounter changes her mind.
American Housewife - "Westport Zombies" (ABC, 10:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Katie, jealous of Taylor’s friendship with neighbor Viv (Leslie Bibb), reluctantly competes in the Westport Halloween “Zombie Run” after she finds out they’ll both be running. Meanwhile, Greg and Anna-Kat get a little too much in character for the “zombie” part of the run’s obstacle course.
New Girl - "Young Adult" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT)
When Jess worries that she may not be a cool enough principal, she recruits Nick and “The Pepperwood Chronicles” to help make her popular with the students. Meanwhile, Schmidt hires an eager and overly-aggressive new assistant and Winston realizes that Furguson may be two-timing him.
The Mick - "The New Girl" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Mickey believes Ben’s school is discriminating against him, she stands up for her nephew. Meanwhile, Sabrina and Chip spend time with Alba and learn some surprising things about her.
Kevin Can Wait - "The Power of Positive Drinking" (CBS, 10:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Kevin takes a job as a bartender, he goes too far when he starts dispensing unsolicited advice to his customers.
The Detour - "The Tub" (TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
As Nate and Robin contemplate having another child, a neighbor's casual get together turns into a home birth; Delilah learns about being a third wheel.
Teachers - "Thirty-One and Done" (TV Land, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Ms. Snap struggles with the idea of turning thirty-one and tries to regain her youth. Ms. Bennigan offers to babysit Blake for Hot Dad. The Teachers deal with every teacher’s nightmare when the copier breaks down.
Tuesday, February 28
- Lisa Kudrow (Friends/The Comeback) - Lisa appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. She also talks about Table 19 on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am and in the 9am hour.
- Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation) - Aubrey is a guest on Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Whoopi Goldberg (Whoopi/Bagdad Cafe) - Whoopi visits Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Bradley Whitford (Trophy Wife) - Bradley stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short Show) - Martin appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Natalie Zea (The Detour) - Natalie is a guest on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Dan Bucatinsky (Marry Me/The Comeback) - Dan drops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Jerry O'Connell (We Are Men/Carpoolers/My Secret Identity) - Jerry guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds/Lost at Home) - Connie appears on LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings. She also talks about the new season of Nashville on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- David Spade (Rules of Engagement/8 Simple Rules/Just Shoot Me!) - David drops by The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Allison Williams (Girls) - Allison is a guest on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Katherine LaNasa (Three Sisters) - Katherine bakes a Mardi Gras king cake on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Craig Robinson (The Office/Mr. Robinson) - Craig talks about Table 19 on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Josh Henderson (One on One) - Josh talks about his The Arrangement on the AOL Build Show at 5pm. He will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Tiffani Thiessen (Saved by the Bell/Saved by the Bell: The College Years) - Tiffani is a guest on The Doctors, so check your local listings.
- Kate Walsh (Bad Judge/The Drew Carey Show) - Kate appears on PIX11 Morning News on WPIX in New York at 8:50am.