Wednesday, January 30, 2013
TV Land Acquires The Golden Girls for March 2013; Episodic Review: Suburgatory - "Yakult Leader" Airing Tonight on ABC
We're still waiting for some final updates and news from NATPE 2013, so we won't bring you the annual what's coming up in syndication this fall list today. We hope to have that for you tomorrow...so stay with us. Anyway, we hinted last week that we would have some good news for fans of The Golden Girls and we will fulfill that promise today! As you may have noticed, The Golden Girls was pulled from the WE tv line-up a few months back. The network will be losing the rights to the sitcom this March and will not renew. They were sharing the series with the Hallmark Channel, but that network will keep airing the series and will not lose rights. However, WE tv's rights are headed to another cable network and it is TV Land! The Golden Girls joins the TV Land line-up on Saturday, March 16 and Sunday, March 17, 2013 with a weekend marathon from 3pm-11pm on both days with all the fun and laughs in Miami with Dorothy, Rose, Blanche and Sophia! In addition, for the week of March 18-22, the sitcom will have a week-long stunt in primetime as well from 7-10pm and more information on that will be announced at a later date. The sitcom will then start airing regularly after that every Mon-Sat from 7-9pm and Sundays 5-9pm - in primetime every night!
Even with this new addition, no series will be leaving the TV Land schedule, but there will be some shifting of timeslots obviously. The Cosby Show will shift out of primetime to weekdays 6-7pm (leading into Golden Girls) and will gain a late night slot on weeknights at 3:30am cutting Roseanne to just 3am on weeknights. Cosby Show will still remain airing in the large blocks on weekends with Roseanne and Three's Company blocks. Back to weeknights, M*A*S*H will also shift earlier to weekdays 5-6pm, while The Andy Griffith Show afternoon block is now cut to 4-5pm. Everything else will remain as is, but as a reminder, don't forget Curb Your Enthusiasm joins the TV Land line-up on Feb. 16 and will air Mon-Sat 2-3am and Sundays 2-6am.
For now, view the entire TV Land March 2013 schedule. Stay with us for updates and thank you for being a friend!
On the next...Suburgatory:
ABC's Comedy Wednesday sitcom starring Jane Levy and Jeremy Sisto and airs Wednesday nights at 9:30pm and we have just watched the next episode that airs tonight (Jan. 30). The episode has the return of Wilmer Valderrama as Yoni. In the episode airing tonight, "Yakult Leader," when Dallas' dog Yakult becomes depressed, Dallas (Cheryl Hines) invites Yoni (guest star Wilmer Valderrama) back into their lives to help remove her negative energy. Everyone becomes enamored with Yoni except George (Jeremy Sisto), who believes Yoni really just wants Dallas back. Meanwhile Lisa Shay (Ana Gasteyer) convinces Tessa (Jane Levy) to help set Lisa (Allie Grant) up so she can get back in the dating game. The girls end up on a double date with Ryan (Parker Young) and Tessa's ex, Scott Strauss (guest star Thomas McDonell).
On this well-done all-new episode, each character shines and we are presented some characters interacting really for the first time, in particular George and Dalia (yep, Dalia and "Daddy Altman!"). The episode starts off so well with great one-liners by Sheila and Ryan while playing tennis as Tessa watches and Lisa is the "ball girl." Some things they say comes out just wrong but of course they don't mean it that way. There are two main storylines but so many different characters involved that it feels like more than two. Both storylines are balanced that there is no real main storyline, but it's obvious the lead storyline is the return of Yoni when Dallas asks him to come and help her depressed dog Yakult. Wilmer Valderrama shines in this role and his accent and personality is perfect for this. He plays kind of a guy who you question his true motives and we find out in the strangest (but funny) way if he is indeed trying to help the dog or not. While Wilmer is excellent in this return of Yoni, the storyline goes from good to great when Dalia enters the picture. She rocks it in this episode with her different interactions with Yoni, George and Yakult the dog. She's just so clueless but hilarious, as she even ends her conversation with George by saying "in closing." Ha! The other storyline is about Lisa's mother trying to get her daughter back in the dating game. She wants Lisa to reconcile with Malik, but that's not going to happen (at least not now). So, for now Sheila asks Tessa to set Lisa up and Lisa actually wants her to. Lisa seems so desperate as you will see when she "settles" with this one boy, and when I mean boy, I mean boy. When Tessa demands her to give up on him and go to an online dating site, the guy is someone that they actually know. Hint: He looks so good on paper but he's such a freaking bore, as Tessa says. Tessa and Ryan double-date with Lisa and this guy. Hilarity happens at the end when someone comes "a banging on the window." Will Lisa find love or will she just take a break from it all for now? It's a great episode with all of the characters shining, but I wish we had Chris Parnell in this one. I didn't want the episode to end, I found myself saying what Dalia says at the end of the episode..."bring it back." B+
Suburgatory is having a solid sophomore season. It might be better off paired with The Middle than Modern Family, but no matter where it airs, it doesn't take the fact away of how solid the season has been. Character have developed well and the series has been on a roll, especially since Thanksgiving. Tune in tonight because it will be following a repeat of Modern Family, so don't get confused. Suburagtory is still all-new and it's worth watching for sure tonight!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)
01/03 - Girls - The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
01/10 - Broad City - Season 3
01/17 - I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 (Colorized)
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume One
01/17 - The Love Boat - Season Three - Volume Two
01/24 - Hooperman - Season One / Review
01/24 - Hooperman - Season Two / Review
01/31 - Ballers - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Wednesday, February 22
The Goldbergs - "So Swayze It's Crazy" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
After Adam sees his friend on television, he asks Beverly for her help to become an actor, so Beverly enlists his friend’s mom Edie, who is a kid talent agent in town. Unfortunately, Edie insists Adam can only get “nerd” roles, so Beverly goes on a quest to make Adam a teenage heartthrob. Meanwhile, Barry decides to embrace the punk lifestyle, and Murray attempts to become more involved in Erica’s life, but it backfires.
Speechless - "O-S-- OSCAR P-A-- PARTY" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When the Dimeos throw their annual Oscar party with other special-needs families, Maya feels threatened by new mom Becca, who seems a little too perfect. Meanwhile, Jimmy encourages the fathers at the party to let loose while Ray tries to impress a girl by pretending to be someone he is not.
Modern Family - "Heavy Is the Head" (ABC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Despite their lofty hopes, Phil and Jay’s property investment might turn out to be a bust, forcing Phil to rethink his original dream. Meanwhile, Cam lands in the hospital due to a head injury and refuses to have an MRI thanks to a traumatic incident with a well when he was a child. Determined to finally impress Claire and keep her from re-gifting her birthday present, Gloria surprises her with a day of luxury at the office. However, after Claire had to implement some rather harsh budget cuts at work, a massage at her desk may not be sending the right message.
black-ish - "One Angry Man" (ABC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
Dre is forced to participate in jury duty after Junior responds to the summons that was thrown away. The case is supposed to be open and shut, but when Dre sees that the defendant is a young African American, he feels a civic responsibility to give him a fair trial. Meanwhile, Bow decides to let the kids swear in the house since they are more open with her that way, but she and Ruby soon regret the decision.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - "The Gang Tends Bar" (FXX, 10:00PM ET/PT)
It's Valentine's Day and Paddy's is packed with customers. Dennis implores the gang to do one day of actual work but everyone else is distracted by a mystery crate Cricket spotted in the alley. Eventually, the gang becomes convinced Dennis really wants them to work on their relationships and everyone shares their grievances without much resolution.
Man Seeking Woman - "Dolphin" (FXX, 10:30PM ET/PT)
When her mom becomes obsessed with Josh's wedding, Liz seeks out her estranged father (Peter Gallagher).
Schitt's Creek - "General Store" (Pop, 8:00PM ET/PT)
David comes up with a new business venture; Alexis adjusts to her first day of school.
Wednesday, February 22
- Tom Hanks (Bosom Buddies) and George Clooney (The Facts of Life/Roseanne) - Tom and George are guests on a repeat of the 2012 Jimmy Kimmel Live: After the Oscars special at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Ariana Grande (Sam & Cat) - Ariana drops by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Ken Jeong (Dr. Ken/Community) - Ken visits The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Kelly Ripa (Hope & Faith) - Kelly is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly)- Billy appears on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS. He will also be on the AOL Build Show at 11am.
- Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine/Are We There Yet?/Everybody Hates Chris) - Terry stops by Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC. He also talks about Ultimate Beastmaster on NBC's Today in the 9am hour and on the AOL Build Show at 2pm.
- Ron Funches (Powerless/Undateable) - Ron is a guest on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi appears on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- NeNe Leakes (The New Normal) - NeNe guest co-hosts The Real, so check your local listings.
- Matt Shively (The Real O'Neals/True Jackson, VP) - Matt is a guest on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Justin Bartha (The New Normal) - Justin joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey (The Goldbergs/Rules of Engagement/Reno 911!) - Wendi will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth/The Cleveland Show) - Will talks about The Last Man on Earth on NBC's Today in the 10am hour. He will also be on Good Day New York on WNYW-Fox5 in New York sometime between 7-10am.
- Rosie Perez (Search Party) - Rosie is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 11:30am ET.
- Allison Williams (Girls) - Allison appears on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (The Odd Couple/Community) - Yvette dishes about the new season of SuperMansion on Crackle on The Wendy Williams Show at 2am on BET or on your local stations.
- Mike Epps (Uncle Buck/Survivor's Remorse) - Mike is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Eva Longoria (Telenovela) - Eva chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Mark Consuelos (Hope & Faith) - Mark guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.