Wednesday, January 30, 2013
TV Land Acquires The Golden Girls for March 2013; Episodic Review: Suburgatory - "Yakult Leader" Airing Tonight on ABC
We're still waiting for some final updates and news from NATPE 2013, so we won't bring you the annual what's coming up in syndication this fall list today. We hope to have that for you tomorrow...so stay with us. Anyway, we hinted last week that we would have some good news for fans of The Golden Girls and we will fulfill that promise today! As you may have noticed, The Golden Girls was pulled from the WE tv line-up a few months back. The network will be losing the rights to the sitcom this March and will not renew. They were sharing the series with the Hallmark Channel, but that network will keep airing the series and will not lose rights. However, WE tv's rights are headed to another cable network and it is TV Land! The Golden Girls joins the TV Land line-up on Saturday, March 16 and Sunday, March 17, 2013 with a weekend marathon from 3pm-11pm on both days with all the fun and laughs in Miami with Dorothy, Rose, Blanche and Sophia! In addition, for the week of March 18-22, the sitcom will have a week-long stunt in primetime as well from 7-10pm and more information on that will be announced at a later date. The sitcom will then start airing regularly after that every Mon-Sat from 7-9pm and Sundays 5-9pm - in primetime every night!
Even with this new addition, no series will be leaving the TV Land schedule, but there will be some shifting of timeslots obviously. The Cosby Show will shift out of primetime to weekdays 6-7pm (leading into Golden Girls) and will gain a late night slot on weeknights at 3:30am cutting Roseanne to just 3am on weeknights. Cosby Show will still remain airing in the large blocks on weekends with Roseanne and Three's Company blocks. Back to weeknights, M*A*S*H will also shift earlier to weekdays 5-6pm, while The Andy Griffith Show afternoon block is now cut to 4-5pm. Everything else will remain as is, but as a reminder, don't forget Curb Your Enthusiasm joins the TV Land line-up on Feb. 16 and will air Mon-Sat 2-3am and Sundays 2-6am.
For now, view the entire TV Land March 2013 schedule. Stay with us for updates and thank you for being a friend!
On the next...Suburgatory:
ABC's Comedy Wednesday sitcom starring Jane Levy and Jeremy Sisto and airs Wednesday nights at 9:30pm and we have just watched the next episode that airs tonight (Jan. 30). The episode has the return of Wilmer Valderrama as Yoni. In the episode airing tonight, "Yakult Leader," when Dallas' dog Yakult becomes depressed, Dallas (Cheryl Hines) invites Yoni (guest star Wilmer Valderrama) back into their lives to help remove her negative energy. Everyone becomes enamored with Yoni except George (Jeremy Sisto), who believes Yoni really just wants Dallas back. Meanwhile Lisa Shay (Ana Gasteyer) convinces Tessa (Jane Levy) to help set Lisa (Allie Grant) up so she can get back in the dating game. The girls end up on a double date with Ryan (Parker Young) and Tessa's ex, Scott Strauss (guest star Thomas McDonell).
On this well-done all-new episode, each character shines and we are presented some characters interacting really for the first time, in particular George and Dalia (yep, Dalia and "Daddy Altman!"). The episode starts off so well with great one-liners by Sheila and Ryan while playing tennis as Tessa watches and Lisa is the "ball girl." Some things they say comes out just wrong but of course they don't mean it that way. There are two main storylines but so many different characters involved that it feels like more than two. Both storylines are balanced that there is no real main storyline, but it's obvious the lead storyline is the return of Yoni when Dallas asks him to come and help her depressed dog Yakult. Wilmer Valderrama shines in this role and his accent and personality is perfect for this. He plays kind of a guy who you question his true motives and we find out in the strangest (but funny) way if he is indeed trying to help the dog or not. While Wilmer is excellent in this return of Yoni, the storyline goes from good to great when Dalia enters the picture. She rocks it in this episode with her different interactions with Yoni, George and Yakult the dog. She's just so clueless but hilarious, as she even ends her conversation with George by saying "in closing." Ha! The other storyline is about Lisa's mother trying to get her daughter back in the dating game. She wants Lisa to reconcile with Malik, but that's not going to happen (at least not now). So, for now Sheila asks Tessa to set Lisa up and Lisa actually wants her to. Lisa seems so desperate as you will see when she "settles" with this one boy, and when I mean boy, I mean boy. When Tessa demands her to give up on him and go to an online dating site, the guy is someone that they actually know. Hint: He looks so good on paper but he's such a freaking bore, as Tessa says. Tessa and Ryan double-date with Lisa and this guy. Hilarity happens at the end when someone comes "a banging on the window." Will Lisa find love or will she just take a break from it all for now? It's a great episode with all of the characters shining, but I wish we had Chris Parnell in this one. I didn't want the episode to end, I found myself saying what Dalia says at the end of the episode..."bring it back." B+
Suburgatory is having a solid sophomore season. It might be better off paired with The Middle than Modern Family, but no matter where it airs, it doesn't take the fact away of how solid the season has been. Character have developed well and the series has been on a roll, especially since Thanksgiving. Tune in tonight because it will be following a repeat of Modern Family, so don't get confused. Suburagtory is still all-new and it's worth watching for sure tonight!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)
02/07 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Sabrina Down Under
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/14 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Friday, March 24
Last Man Standing - "Bad Heir Day" (ABC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Mike and Vanessa think it’s time for newlyweds Mandy and Kyle to move out, but when Chuck relays some unexpected news about Kyle’s absentee mom, Mike has second thoughts. Meanwhile, Eve tells Ryan that Boyd is making up stories about his Dad’s real job, because he’s embarrassed about being home-schooled.
Dr. Ken - "Clark's Big Surprise" (ABC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
When Ken accidentally finds out that Clark and Connor are planning their surprise wedding, he has to find a way to get everyone to come. But Damona finds out and to get Allison there, she tells her that Ken is going to surprise her by renewing their wedding vows. Guest performances from the Grammy Award-winning band, Train, featuring lead singer Pat Monahan and guitarist Jerry Becker.
Friday, March 24
- Sofia Black-D'Elia (The Mick) - Watch Sofia on a repeat of Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Tracy Morgan (30 Rock/The Tracy Morgan Show) - Tracy is on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Malin Akerman (Trophy Wife/Sin City Saints) - Malin appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Zach Galifianakis (Baskets) - Zach is a guest on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Laura Dern (Enlightened) - Laura appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jermaine Fowler (Superior Donuts) - Jermaine is a guest on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Michael Keaton (Working Stiffs/All's Fair) - Michael visits LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) and Ben Falcone (Joey) - Melissa and Ben are guests on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso stops by Harry, so check your local listings.
- Martha Plimpton (The Real O'Neals/Raising Hope) - Martha appears on Harry, so check your local listings.
- Anthony Anderson (black-ish/Guys with Kids/All About the Andersons) - Anthony chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. He will also be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Carl Reiner (The Dick Van Dyke Show) and Rob Reiner (All in the Family) - Carl and Rob are guests on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Kristen Bell (The Good Place) - Kristen is a guest on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am. She also joins the Chew Crew on ABC's The Chew at 1pm ET/12pm PT/CT.
- Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie) and Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie/Malibu Country) - Jane and Lily talk about Grace and Frankie on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Brooklyn Decker (Grace and Frankie/Friends with Better Lives) - Brooklyn talks about Malibu Country on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Rhea Perlman (Cheers/Kirstie) - Rhea talks about Me and My Grandma on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Emma Roberts (Scream Queens/Unfabulous) - Emma talks about The Blackcoat's Daughter on People Now at 8:30am.
- Josh Henderson (One on One) - Josh is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.