Tuesday, January 22, 2013
Hallmark Changes Super Bowl Marathon; Episodic Review: Go On "Comeback Player of the Year" and "Pass Interference" Airing Tonight and Next Tuesday on NBC
We told you that Happy Days was getting a Super Bowl marathon on Sunday, Feb. 3 on Hallmark, but now Hallmark has changed the marathon to another sitcom. Instead of Happy Days, we will now have a Super Bowl marathon of The Golden Girls on from 11am-11pm on Super Bowl Sunday. I guess the Snickers Super Bowl commercial with Betty White is still paying dividends? No actual reason for the change, but Happy Days is doing fine as it will continue to air in its current timeslots of weekdays from 2-5pm and Mon-Thurs 8-10pm. In other scheduling news, Fridays will have some changes from 12-2pm for the original shows. Marie will not air Fridays, as Laura McKenzie's Traveler will air Fridays at noon beginning Feb. 1, while new series Who Let the Dogs Out will air Fridays at 1 beginning Feb. 1. The sitcoms will stay put in their timeslots, so that's some good news!
We'll have some more good news for The Golden Girls very soon. Hopefully later this week, that will have fans possibly excited. Stay with us! Thank you for being a friend!
On the next...Go On:
NBC's freshman comedy starring Matthew Perry airs Tuesday nights at 9:00pm and we have just watched the next two episodes, that air tonight (Jan. 22) and next Tuesday (Jan. 29). Both episodes feature a guest-arc with Piper Perabo (Covert Affairs) and we have got the scoop on what goes down and what we think. In the episode airing tonight, "Comeback Player of the Year," Ryan (Matthew Perry) fears the group chemistry will change and feels threatened by the return of the very popular and beautiful former group member, Simone (special guest star Piper Perabo) who tries to force the group to choose between her and Ryan. Elsewhere in the episode, Ryan's friend and boss Steven (John Cho) and group member Mr. K (Brett Gelman) buddy bond and along with Terrell Owens, teach Ryan a lesson, while Anne (Julie White) prevents Danny (Seth Morris) from being taken to the cleaners in his divorce.
Piper Perabo guest stars as a former beloved (well, "she's the most awesome, coolest") member of the group and she knows everyone but newbie Ryan. She walks into the group wearing a stunning green outfit. Her character is sort of like her character on Covert Affairs, in which she just came back from traveling the globe (in this case, places like Marrakesh). At first glance, I thought it was Annie Walker herself. But that changes later on as we find out that she is sort of full of herself. I noticed right away that her and Ryan would probably make a good match, but Ryan starts off with wanting her banished from the group because all the attention is now on her. We're not sure how long she is staying but we find out she was recently engaged to a poet and on the day of their wedding...he disappeared. For now, she will be staying at Anne's (who is a lesbian...) place. As the episode progresses her character tries to pursue Ryan. We won't give much away but the entire episode is a hoot and probably the best episode of the series. All of the plotlines work well, including the B-plotline of Steven and Mr. K bonding and teaming up with NFL star Terrell Owens to get Ryan back. The other plotline of the episode is Anne trying to help Danny with his divorce, but this one isn't as interesting as the other two plotlines, but still works well. Everything comes together at the end of the episode at Anne's place where a hilarious surprise happens! Let's just say censors will have to be turned on! A-
In the episode airing next week, "Pass Interference," despite Lauren's (Laura Benanti) warning to Ryan (Matthew Perry) of no dating among group members, he continues to pursue Simone (special guest star Piper Perabo) but each time things heat-up with them, Janie's (guest star Christine Woods) ghost appears, throwing Ryan off his game. The group helps Ryan deal with the guilt he feels as he starts dating again. Meanwhile Anne (Julie White), Yolanda (Suzy Nakamura), Sonia (Sarah Baker) and Fausta (Tonita Castro) decide to buy Lauren a wedding dress and use Owen (Tyler James Williams) as a body double.
This episode isn't as good as the previous episode, but still delivers the goods. Piper Perabo wasn't in the episode as much as she was in the previous one but when she is in it, she made it count. The aftermath from the end of the last episode is dealt with and Perabo's character has gotten into the head of Ryan, but now he is seeing his deceased wife as a ghost whenever she is with Simone. And that freaks Ryan out and will that make Simone think he is crazy? The other plotline is about the gang trying to help group leader Lauren buy a wedding dress. I'm still guessing Lauren's wedding will not happen because since the premiere I always thought Ryan and Lauren would probably end up together. The episode ends in a nice way at an event where the ghost of Ryan's wife appears maybe for the last time? Not sure, but Piper Perabo killed it in that blue dress! B
Go On continues to surprise us. It's not always laugh-out-loud but it has a lot of heart and it works well. We're really invested into this group and are dying to see if they are improving. Ryan takes a big step in these two episodes and you just feel like rooting for him to get Simone. But I'm sure some core fans want him to ultimately end up with Lauren. Piper Perabo shines and is as beautiful as ever in the guest-arc that will continue for another episode at least beyond these two. The episode airing tonight is the best episode of the series. Don't go pass Go On, go right to it...you'll laugh tonight!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August)
07/08 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/12 - Grady - The Best of Grady
07/20 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 5th Season
07/26 - Family Matters - The Complete Seventh Season (WBShop.com)
07/26 - Where's Huddles? - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
08/02 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
08/09 - Maude - The Complete Final (Sixth) Season
08/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Three
08/23 - Superstore - Season One
08/23 - The Wonder Years - Complete Series (New Slipcase Version)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, August 30
The Middle - "The Man Hunt" (ABC, 10:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
After Brick attends a Bar Mitzvah and questions when he’ll officially become a man, Mike attempts to help him become more responsible in his quest to manhood. Meanwhile, Sue exudes a little too much enthusiasm as she tries to flirt and find herself a boyfriend, and Axl and Hutch find themselves a new home in the form of a Winnebago.
Fresh Off the Boat - "Family Business Trip" (ABC, 10:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Louis is forced to bring his family on a business trip to Gator World, Jessica learns the art of relaxation and Eddie takes on the “Death Roll.” Meanwhile, Evan loses his last baby tooth but isn’t ready to join the big kid club.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "Maximum Security" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
In an attempt to get information on a criminal operation, Amy has to go undercover at a women’s prison and befriend one of the prisoners (guest star Aida Turturro). Meanwhile back at the precinct, Holt and the team plan a fake funeral in an attempt to catch a hitman.
New Girl - "Return to Sender" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Jess meets Sam’s (guest star David Walton) female best friend, Diane (guest star Caitlin Fitzgerald). Meanwhile, Nick is worried Gavin (guest star Peter Gallagher) will disappoint Schmidt (Max Greenfield) again and Winston is offended by a reaction to a birthday gift.
In the Cut - "Best Foot Forward" (Bounce TV, 9:00PM ET/PT)
Kenny's new girlfriend's flaw; Jay embellishes his past gang affiliations and almost gets a Thug Lives Matter Award.
Tuesday, August 30
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Catch Zooey on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- John Krasinski (The Office) - John is a guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Justin Bartha (Cooper Barrett's Guide to Surviving Life/The New Normal) - Justin stops by The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- David Cross (Arrested Development/Running Wilde) - David drops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Kirstie Alley (Flaked/Kirstie/Veronica's Closet/Cheers) - Kirstie talks about Flaked on a repeat of The Meredith Vieira Show, so check your local listings.
- Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly/Samantha Who?) - Melissa is a guest on a repeat of LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Rami Malek (The War at Home) - Rami appears on a repeat of LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Fred Savage (The Grinder/Working/The Wonder Years) - Fred chats with the ladies of The View on a repeat on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT. He also guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Mario Cantone (Sex and the City) - Mario chats with the ladies of The View on a repeat on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Norman Lear (Producer of All in the Family/Sanford and Son/One Day at a Time/The Jeffersons/Good Times/Maude) - Norman is a guest on a repeat of Tavis Smiley on PBS, so check your local listings.
- Andy Samberg (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) - Andy appears on a repeat of The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- George Clooney (The Facts of Life/Roseanne) - George is a guest on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Alfonso Ribeiro (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air/In the House/Silver Spoons) - Alfonso appears on a repeat of The Wendy Williams Show at 12:03am on BET or on your local stations.
- Jeremy Miller (Growing Pains) and Danny Bonaduce (The Partridge Family) - You grew up watching your favorite sitcom kids, but what happened behind the scenes when the cameras stopped rolling? The stars of Growing Pains, Everybody Loves Raymond and Danny Bonaduce from The Partridge Family break their silence. They reveal how they got hooked on drugs and alcohol and eventually overcame their battles with addiction on a repeat of The Dr. Oz Show, so check your local listings.
- Emeril Lagasse (Emeril) - Emeril will be on ABC's Good Morning America sometime between 7-9am.
- Henry Winkler (Happy Days/Out of Practice) - Henry is a guest on a repeat of Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.