Tuesday, January 22, 2013
Hallmark Changes Super Bowl Marathon; Episodic Review: Go On "Comeback Player of the Year" and "Pass Interference" Airing Tonight and Next Tuesday on NBC
We told you that Happy Days was getting a Super Bowl marathon on Sunday, Feb. 3 on Hallmark, but now Hallmark has changed the marathon to another sitcom. Instead of Happy Days, we will now have a Super Bowl marathon of The Golden Girls on from 11am-11pm on Super Bowl Sunday. I guess the Snickers Super Bowl commercial with Betty White is still paying dividends? No actual reason for the change, but Happy Days is doing fine as it will continue to air in its current timeslots of weekdays from 2-5pm and Mon-Thurs 8-10pm. In other scheduling news, Fridays will have some changes from 12-2pm for the original shows. Marie will not air Fridays, as Laura McKenzie's Traveler will air Fridays at noon beginning Feb. 1, while new series Who Let the Dogs Out will air Fridays at 1 beginning Feb. 1. The sitcoms will stay put in their timeslots, so that's some good news!
We'll have some more good news for The Golden Girls very soon. Hopefully later this week, that will have fans possibly excited. Stay with us! Thank you for being a friend!
On the next...Go On:
NBC's freshman comedy starring Matthew Perry airs Tuesday nights at 9:00pm and we have just watched the next two episodes, that air tonight (Jan. 22) and next Tuesday (Jan. 29). Both episodes feature a guest-arc with Piper Perabo (Covert Affairs) and we have got the scoop on what goes down and what we think. In the episode airing tonight, "Comeback Player of the Year," Ryan (Matthew Perry) fears the group chemistry will change and feels threatened by the return of the very popular and beautiful former group member, Simone (special guest star Piper Perabo) who tries to force the group to choose between her and Ryan. Elsewhere in the episode, Ryan's friend and boss Steven (John Cho) and group member Mr. K (Brett Gelman) buddy bond and along with Terrell Owens, teach Ryan a lesson, while Anne (Julie White) prevents Danny (Seth Morris) from being taken to the cleaners in his divorce.
Piper Perabo guest stars as a former beloved (well, "she's the most awesome, coolest") member of the group and she knows everyone but newbie Ryan. She walks into the group wearing a stunning green outfit. Her character is sort of like her character on Covert Affairs, in which she just came back from traveling the globe (in this case, places like Marrakesh). At first glance, I thought it was Annie Walker herself. But that changes later on as we find out that she is sort of full of herself. I noticed right away that her and Ryan would probably make a good match, but Ryan starts off with wanting her banished from the group because all the attention is now on her. We're not sure how long she is staying but we find out she was recently engaged to a poet and on the day of their wedding...he disappeared. For now, she will be staying at Anne's (who is a lesbian...) place. As the episode progresses her character tries to pursue Ryan. We won't give much away but the entire episode is a hoot and probably the best episode of the series. All of the plotlines work well, including the B-plotline of Steven and Mr. K bonding and teaming up with NFL star Terrell Owens to get Ryan back. The other plotline of the episode is Anne trying to help Danny with his divorce, but this one isn't as interesting as the other two plotlines, but still works well. Everything comes together at the end of the episode at Anne's place where a hilarious surprise happens! Let's just say censors will have to be turned on! A-
In the episode airing next week, "Pass Interference," despite Lauren's (Laura Benanti) warning to Ryan (Matthew Perry) of no dating among group members, he continues to pursue Simone (special guest star Piper Perabo) but each time things heat-up with them, Janie's (guest star Christine Woods) ghost appears, throwing Ryan off his game. The group helps Ryan deal with the guilt he feels as he starts dating again. Meanwhile Anne (Julie White), Yolanda (Suzy Nakamura), Sonia (Sarah Baker) and Fausta (Tonita Castro) decide to buy Lauren a wedding dress and use Owen (Tyler James Williams) as a body double.
This episode isn't as good as the previous episode, but still delivers the goods. Piper Perabo wasn't in the episode as much as she was in the previous one but when she is in it, she made it count. The aftermath from the end of the last episode is dealt with and Perabo's character has gotten into the head of Ryan, but now he is seeing his deceased wife as a ghost whenever she is with Simone. And that freaks Ryan out and will that make Simone think he is crazy? The other plotline is about the gang trying to help group leader Lauren buy a wedding dress. I'm still guessing Lauren's wedding will not happen because since the premiere I always thought Ryan and Lauren would probably end up together. The episode ends in a nice way at an event where the ghost of Ryan's wife appears maybe for the last time? Not sure, but Piper Perabo killed it in that blue dress! B
Go On continues to surprise us. It's not always laugh-out-loud but it has a lot of heart and it works well. We're really invested into this group and are dying to see if they are improving. Ryan takes a big step in these two episodes and you just feel like rooting for him to get Simone. But I'm sure some core fans want him to ultimately end up with Lauren. Piper Perabo shines and is as beautiful as ever in the guest-arc that will continue for another episode at least beyond these two. The episode airing tonight is the best episode of the series. Don't go pass Go On, go right to it...you'll laugh tonight!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)
06/14 - Ballers - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
06/14 - The League - Season 7 - The Final Fantasy
06/14 - The League - The Complete Series
06/14 - Maude - The Complete Fifth Season
06/14 - Survivor's Remorse - The Complete Second Season
06/21 - Workaholics - Season Six
06/24 - The Monkees - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
06/28 - Two Guys and a Girl - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, June 25
The Thundermans - "Chutes and Splatters" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Phoebe's newest superhero mission is to babysit President Kuckbutt's troublemaking teen daughter, but the assignment quickly snowballs out of control when Phoebe's charge sneaks into the town's illegal nightclub.
Bella and the Bulldogs - "Biggest. Game. Ever" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Everything the Bulldogs have worked for has led up to this game- the state championship against their rivals Whitworth! But when their new game plan is not working, the team has a shocking realization.
Sunday, June 26
- Sandra Bernhard (Roseanne) - Catch Sandra on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Eric Stonestreet (Modern Family) - Watch Eric on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Nia Long (Uncle Buck/The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) - Nia is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- Marc Maron (Maron) - Marc appears on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Connie Britton (Spin City/The Fighting Fitzgeralds/Lost at Home) - Connie is a guest on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Natasha Leggero (Another Period/Free Agents) - Natasha appears on a repeat of Late Night with Seth Meyers at 12:36am on NBC.
- Jenny Slate (Married/Bob's Burgers) - Jenny stops by The Late Show with Stephen Colbert at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Zach Woods (Silicon Valley/Playing House/The Office) - Zach appears on a repeat of The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Greg Proops (True Jackson, VP) - Greg is a guest on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jill Kargman (Odd Mom Out) - Jill visits Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation) - Aubrey appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- D.L. Hughley (The Hughleys) - D.L. guest co-hosts LIVE! with Kelly, so check your listings.
- Demi Lovato (Sonny with a Chance) - Demi appears on a repeat of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Kellita Smith (The First Family/The Bernie Mac Show) - Kellita stops by The Real, so check your local listings.
- Jamie Lynn Spears (Zoey 101) - Jamie reveals that her husband and daughter are hounding her for more children on People Now at 8:30am.
- Craig Bierko (Unhitched/Madman of the People/Sydney) - Craig is a guest on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Michaela Watkins (Casual/Trophy Wife) - Michaela talks about Hulu's Casual on the AOL Build ShoW at 11am.
- Louis C.K. (Louie) and Kevin Hart (The Big House/Undeclared) - Louis and Kevin talk about The Secret Life of Pets on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am.
- Tony Shalhoub (We Are Men/Wings)- Tony will be on CBS This Morning sometime between 7-9am.
- Arsenio Hall (Arsenio) - Arsenio guest co-hosts Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.