Tuesday, January 22, 2013
Hallmark Changes Super Bowl Marathon; Episodic Review: Go On "Comeback Player of the Year" and "Pass Interference" Airing Tonight and Next Tuesday on NBC
We told you that Happy Days was getting a Super Bowl marathon on Sunday, Feb. 3 on Hallmark, but now Hallmark has changed the marathon to another sitcom. Instead of Happy Days, we will now have a Super Bowl marathon of The Golden Girls on from 11am-11pm on Super Bowl Sunday. I guess the Snickers Super Bowl commercial with Betty White is still paying dividends? No actual reason for the change, but Happy Days is doing fine as it will continue to air in its current timeslots of weekdays from 2-5pm and Mon-Thurs 8-10pm. In other scheduling news, Fridays will have some changes from 12-2pm for the original shows. Marie will not air Fridays, as Laura McKenzie's Traveler will air Fridays at noon beginning Feb. 1, while new series Who Let the Dogs Out will air Fridays at 1 beginning Feb. 1. The sitcoms will stay put in their timeslots, so that's some good news!
We'll have some more good news for The Golden Girls very soon. Hopefully later this week, that will have fans possibly excited. Stay with us! Thank you for being a friend!
On the next...Go On:
NBC's freshman comedy starring Matthew Perry airs Tuesday nights at 9:00pm and we have just watched the next two episodes, that air tonight (Jan. 22) and next Tuesday (Jan. 29). Both episodes feature a guest-arc with Piper Perabo (Covert Affairs) and we have got the scoop on what goes down and what we think. In the episode airing tonight, "Comeback Player of the Year," Ryan (Matthew Perry) fears the group chemistry will change and feels threatened by the return of the very popular and beautiful former group member, Simone (special guest star Piper Perabo) who tries to force the group to choose between her and Ryan. Elsewhere in the episode, Ryan's friend and boss Steven (John Cho) and group member Mr. K (Brett Gelman) buddy bond and along with Terrell Owens, teach Ryan a lesson, while Anne (Julie White) prevents Danny (Seth Morris) from being taken to the cleaners in his divorce.
Piper Perabo guest stars as a former beloved (well, "she's the most awesome, coolest") member of the group and she knows everyone but newbie Ryan. She walks into the group wearing a stunning green outfit. Her character is sort of like her character on Covert Affairs, in which she just came back from traveling the globe (in this case, places like Marrakesh). At first glance, I thought it was Annie Walker herself. But that changes later on as we find out that she is sort of full of herself. I noticed right away that her and Ryan would probably make a good match, but Ryan starts off with wanting her banished from the group because all the attention is now on her. We're not sure how long she is staying but we find out she was recently engaged to a poet and on the day of their wedding...he disappeared. For now, she will be staying at Anne's (who is a lesbian...) place. As the episode progresses her character tries to pursue Ryan. We won't give much away but the entire episode is a hoot and probably the best episode of the series. All of the plotlines work well, including the B-plotline of Steven and Mr. K bonding and teaming up with NFL star Terrell Owens to get Ryan back. The other plotline of the episode is Anne trying to help Danny with his divorce, but this one isn't as interesting as the other two plotlines, but still works well. Everything comes together at the end of the episode at Anne's place where a hilarious surprise happens! Let's just say censors will have to be turned on! A-
In the episode airing next week, "Pass Interference," despite Lauren's (Laura Benanti) warning to Ryan (Matthew Perry) of no dating among group members, he continues to pursue Simone (special guest star Piper Perabo) but each time things heat-up with them, Janie's (guest star Christine Woods) ghost appears, throwing Ryan off his game. The group helps Ryan deal with the guilt he feels as he starts dating again. Meanwhile Anne (Julie White), Yolanda (Suzy Nakamura), Sonia (Sarah Baker) and Fausta (Tonita Castro) decide to buy Lauren a wedding dress and use Owen (Tyler James Williams) as a body double.
This episode isn't as good as the previous episode, but still delivers the goods. Piper Perabo wasn't in the episode as much as she was in the previous one but when she is in it, she made it count. The aftermath from the end of the last episode is dealt with and Perabo's character has gotten into the head of Ryan, but now he is seeing his deceased wife as a ghost whenever she is with Simone. And that freaks Ryan out and will that make Simone think he is crazy? The other plotline is about the gang trying to help group leader Lauren buy a wedding dress. I'm still guessing Lauren's wedding will not happen because since the premiere I always thought Ryan and Lauren would probably end up together. The episode ends in a nice way at an event where the ghost of Ryan's wife appears maybe for the last time? Not sure, but Piper Perabo killed it in that blue dress! B
Go On continues to surprise us. It's not always laugh-out-loud but it has a lot of heart and it works well. We're really invested into this group and are dying to see if they are improving. Ryan takes a big step in these two episodes and you just feel like rooting for him to get Simone. But I'm sure some core fans want him to ultimately end up with Lauren. Piper Perabo shines and is as beautiful as ever in the guest-arc that will continue for another episode at least beyond these two. The episode airing tonight is the best episode of the series. Don't go pass Go On, go right to it...you'll laugh tonight!
New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)
10/06 - Bewitched - The Complete Collection
10/06 - Grace Under Fire - The Complete Collection
10/06 - Happyish - Season One
10/06 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/06 - Party Down - The Complete Series
10/06 - South Park - The Complete Eighteenth Season (Blu-ray)
10/20 - C.P.O. Sharkey - Mr. Warmth: The Ultimate Don Rickles TV Collection
10/20 - The Facts of Life - Season Seven
10/20- King of the Hill - The Complete 13th Season (Blu-ray)
10/20 - My Favorite Martian - The Complete Series
10/20 - Nurse Jackie - Season Seven ((Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Saturday, October 10
Henry Danger - "Captain Man: On Vacation" (Nickelodeon, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Ray has trusted Henry and Charlotte with protecting Swellview while he's out of town at his cousin's wedding. Problems arise when they find themselves having to handle things on their own.
Game Shakers - "Tiny Pickles" (Nickelodeon, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Babe and Kenzie's new game is ready, but Dub promises the world another game based on a crazy dream he had. The kids make his game and it's terrible. Feeling bad, they combine it with theirs and announce it on TV. Guest Stars: Matt Bennett, Yvette Nicole Brown.
100 Things to Do Before High School - "Join a Club Thing!" (Nickelodeon, 9:00PM ET/PT)
When Crispo joins the school's most popular club and Fen joins the genius group, CJ is left without her pals. Realizing it's more fun when they are together, she works to create a club that will reunite the group.
- "Basket Case" (TV Land, 8:00PM ET/PT)
After Stephanie helps Aaron beat James at a game, Charlie worries that she has upset the balance of power in the family. Gabby gets caught in the middle of a fight between Stephanie and Maggie.
- "Turning a Blind Eye" (TV Land, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Maggie bribes James and Aaron to pretend to be her younger brothers when she starts dating a younger man, who happens to be blind. Gabby gets punished for having Noah over when her parents are out. Guest Star: Carlos PenaVega.
Monday, October 12
- Bradley Whitford (Trophy Wife/The Secret Lives of Men) - Watch Bradley on The Late Late Show with James Corden at 12:37am on CBS.
- Mark-Paul Gosselaar (Truth Be Told/Saved by the Bell) and Tone Bell (Truth Be Told/Bad Judge) - Mark-Paul and Tone are guests on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Colin Hanks (Life in Pieces) - Colin will be on on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Steve Agee (The Sarah Silverman Program) - Steve appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Jussie Smollett (On Our Own) - Jussie chats about the series Empire on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Steve Carell (The Office) - Steve visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Clark Gregg (The New Adventures of Old Christine) - Whoopi Goldberg tours NY Comic Con with Clark on The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Sherri Shepherd (Less Than Perfect/Sherri) - Sherri guest co-hosts Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Ryan McPartlin (Living with Fran) - Ryan appears on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Ryan Lee (Trophy Wife) - Ryan and the cast of Goosebumps will be on the AOL Build Show at 11:30am.
- Dana Delany (The Comedians) - Dana talks about House of God on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Selena Gomez (Wizards of Waverly Place) - Selena performs live on NBC's Today sometime between 7-9am. She also appears in the 9am hour.
- Jenna Elfman (Dharma & Greg/Accidentally on Purpose/Courting Alex) - Jenna talks about Big Stong Gap on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Josh McDermitt (Retired at 35) - Josh will be on People Now.
- Heather Dubrow (Stark Raving Mad) - Heather is a guest on People Now.
- Chris D'Elia (Undateable/Whitney) and Brent Morin (Undateable) - Chris and Brent talk about going live for season 3 of Undateable on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.