Friday, November 09, 2012
Pioneers of Television Returns to PBS on January 15, 2013; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of November 12, 2012)
PBS has announced that Pioneers of Television will return for a third season starting January 15, 2013. PBS' Emmy-nominated series brings to life the stories of television's most beloved stars, telling backstage tales of America's favorite shows. Stars interviewed in the upcoming episodes include Carol Burnett, Lynda Carter, Joan Collins, Diahann Carroll, Richard Chamberlain, Patrick Duffy, Lou Ferrigno, Tina Fey, Louis Gossett Jr., Larry Hagman, Cloris Leachman, Joan Rivers, Leslie Uggams, Rachel Ward, Adam West and Betty White, among many others. Emmy Award-winning radio personality, television host and producer Ryan Seacrest will be narrating the new season's four episodes.
Season three premieres on Tuesday, January 15, 2013, at 8pm ET. "Funny Ladies" offers surprising new insights about television's most-beloved variety star Carol Burnett. The episode also looks at the backstory behind Lucille Ball's breakthrough, I Love Lucy and the sitcom stars who followed, including Mary Tyler Moore, Betty White and Marla Gibbs. Featured television stand-ups include Joan Rivers and the late Phyllis Diller—whose final interview was for this episode. The episode also includes interviews with contemporary actresses Tina Fey and Margaret Cho.
The second episode, "Primetime Soaps," is scheduled to air on Tuesday, January 22, 2013, at 8pm ET. Dallas and Dynasty kicked off the nighttime soap frenzy in the late 1970s, a phenomenon that continued through the last season of Knots Landing in 1993. The episode offers surprising new details about the legendary Who Shot J.R. episode of Dallas, and reveals the backstage personalities that shaped Dynasty and Knots Landing. Interviewees in this episode include Larry Hagman, Joan Collins, Linda Evans, Diahann Carroll, Linda Gray, Patrick Duffy, Michele Lee, Joan Van Ark and Donna Mills.
"Superheroes" will be the focus of the third episode of the season. It's set to air on Tuesday, January 29, 2013, at 8pm ET. "Superheroes" crosses many eras: Superman in the 1950s, Batman in the '60s, Wonder Woman and The Incredible Hulk in the '70s and The Greatest American Hero in the '80s. The episode features in-depth interviews with Adam West, Burt Ward, Julie Newmar, Lynda Carter, Lou Ferrigno, William Katt and others. It also includes comments from Robert Culp about his show The Greatest American Hero, recorded just days before he passed away.
Finally, "Miniseries" will be broadcast on Tuesday, February 5, 2013, at 8pm ET. Miniseries still rank among the top-rated programs in television history. Roots was the biggest — interviewees about that groundbreaking series include stars LeVar Burton, Louis Gossett Jr., Leslie Uggams, Ben Vereen, John Amos, Georg Stanford Brown and Ed Asner. This episode also considers the very first miniseries, Rich Man, Poor Man as stars Peter Strauss and Susan Blakely offer fresh insights. All of the key stars from the landmark miniseries The Thorn Birds (the most-watched romance) provide surprising commentary about the romance seen by more viewers than any other in TV history. These new interviews with Richard Chamberlain, Rachel Ward and Bryan Brown mark the 30th anniversary of one of television's biggest events.
Pioneers of Television premiered on PBS on January 2, 2008. A total of eight episodes were produced during the show's first two seasons. Each episode melds compelling new interviews with iconic clips and never-before-seen photos to offer an insider's look at television’s biggest celebrities. If you missed any of the episodes, both seasons are currently available on DVD. Pioneers of Television - Season 1 includes episodes on late night, sitcoms, game shows and variety. Season 2, which was narrated by Kelsey Grammer and aired in 2011, includes episodes on science fiction, westerns, crime dramas and local kids' tv. These are very entertaining and informative specials. They are well-produced and offer lots of interesting trivia. If you're a fan of television history or documentaries in general, they are a must see. Read our reviews of Season 1 and Season 2 for more details.
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of November 12-16, 2012, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, November 12, 2012
- Adam Pally (Happy Endings) - Watch Adam on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle) - Bryan appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Chelsea Handler (Are You There, Chelsea?) - Chelsea drops by Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC. She will also be on NBC's Today between 10-11am.
- Martha Plimpton (Raising Hope) - Martha is a guest on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Vicki Lawrence (Mama's Family) - Vicki and Tim Conway visit Marie on Hallmark Channel at 12pm ET/PT.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney stops by NBC's Today between 7-9am and 10-11am.
- Marissa Jaret Winokur (Retired at 35) - Marisa talks about her remarkable weight-loss journey on ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Watch Whitney on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC. She will also be on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo. Whitney returns on Wednesday, November 14 at 8:30pm ET/PT.
- Christina Applegate (Up All Night/Samantha Who?/Married with Children) - Christina is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Sally Field (Gidget/The Flying Nun) - Sally appears on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC. Lincoln opens in wide release in theaters on November 16.
- Finesse Mitchell (A.N.T. Farm) - Finesse chats on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Joel McHale (Community) - Joel stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Debi Mazar (Entourage) - Debi appears on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Candace Cameron Bure (Full House) - Candace talks about her new romantic comedy (Hallmark Channel's Puppy Love) on Marie on Hallmark Channel at 12pm ET/PT.
- Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) - Watch Alec on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Helen Hunt (Mad About You) - Helen appears on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Glenn Howerton (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia/That '80s Show) - Glenn visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Whoopi Goldberg (Whoopi/Bagdad Cafe) - Whoopi is a guest on Current TV's Joy Behar: Say Anything! at 6pm.
- Marilu Henner (Taxi) - Marilu (Hallmark Channel's Hitched for the Holidays) whips up a chocolate almond toffee crunch on Marie on Hallmark Channel at 12pm ET/PT.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Catch Zooey on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Tim Allen (Last Man Standing/Home Improvement) - Tim visits The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Nolan Gould (Modern Family) - Nolan drops by The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Max Greenfield (New Girl/Modern Men) - Max is a guest on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Lucy Punch (Ben and Kate/The Class) - Lucy stops by The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Sally Field (Gidget/The Flyning Nun) - Sally chats on Tavis Smiley on Thursday and Friday, so check your local listings.
- Nadine Velazquez (My Name Is Earl/The League) - Nadine talks about her movie Flight on Marie on Hallmark Channel at 12pm ET/PT.
- Danica McKellar (The Wonder Years) - Danica visits NBC's Today between 10-11am.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Watch Zooey on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Alyson Hannigan (How I Met Your Mother/Free Spirit) - Alyson is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Chris Elliott (Get a Life) - Chris appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Jay Mohr (Gary Unmarried/Action) - Jay guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Sally Field (Gidget/The Flying Nun) - Sally chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Ellen DeGeneres (Ellen) - Ellen drops by Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Rob Reiner (All in the Family) - Rob visits The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Cedric the Entertainer (The Soul Man/The Steve Harvey Show - Cedric is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
Bob's Burgers - "Ambergris" (Fox, 7:00PM ET/PT)
Gene, Louise, and Tina discover a seaweed-covered object at the beach that turns out to be a large hunk of Ambergris - an extremely valuable, but illegal, by-product of whale poop that is used in high-end perfumes. But Louise tries to cheat Gene and Tina out of the profit she hopes to make by selling the treasure on the black market. Meanwhile, Bob and Linda deal with their psychologically unstable landlord who is building them a new bathroom.
American Dad - "Poltergasm" (Fox, 7:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Francine's "Poltergasm" starts to haunt the Smith household when she is unsatisfied by Stan in the sack, and Roger must conjure a medium named Zelda Rubinstein to help eliminate the ghost. Meanwhile, Hayley introduces her new boy-toy, Mauricio (guest voice Diego Luna), to the family.
The Simpsons - "Married to the Blob" (Fox, 8:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Comic Book Guy realizes his comics are nothing if he can't share them with anyone. Then he meets Kumiko, a Japanese woman writing an autobiographical manga, and he seeks out Homer's advice on how to date her, ending happily for everyone.
Family Guy - "Life of Brian" (Fox, 8:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Stewie and Brian travel back to 17th century Jamestown, via Stewie's time machine, they encounter too many close calls with altering the course of mankind. Stewie decides to destroy his time machine, but immediately regrets his decision when an unthinkable event happens and he is unable to go back in time.
Monday, April 21
- Courteney Cox (Cougar Town/Friends) - Watch Courteney The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Jimmie "J.J." Walker (Good Times) - Jimmie appears on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Billy Bob Thornton (Hears Afire) - Billy Bob is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 11:35pm on ABC.
- George Lopez (Saint George/George Lopez) - George stops by The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Ari Graynor (Bad Teacher) - Ari visits The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Marlon Wayans (The Wayans Bros.) - Marlon is a guest on @midnight at midnight on Comedy Central.
- Bob Saget (How I Met Your Mother/Full House) - Bob is part of the guest panel on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt (3rd Rock from the Sun) - Joseph appears on a repeat of Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Gillian Jacobs (Community) - Tune in to see Gillian on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Paul Scheer (The League) - Paul is a guest on a repeat of The Pete Holmes Show at midnight on TBS.
- Christopher Meloni (Surviving Jack/The Fanelli Boys) - Christopher drops by The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Brooklyn Decker, Majandra Delfino and Zoe Lister-Jones (Friends with Better Lives) - The women of Friends with Better Lives are guests on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT. Zoe will also be on Pop Sugar Now on TV Guide Network at 6pm and on the next day on their website at noon.
- Drew Carey (The Drew Carey Show/The Good Life) - Drew visits The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check your local listings.
- Andre Braugher (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) - Andre will be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.
- Kirstie Alley (Kirstie/Veronica's Closet/Cheers) - Kirstie throws down a figure-friendly chicken dinner on Rachael Ray, so check your local listings.
- Ted Lange (The Love Boat) - Ted is a guest on a repeat of The Better Show, so check your local listings.
- Brittany Daniel (The Game/That '80s Show) - Brittany shares her story of triumph over non-Hodgkins lymphoma on Home & Family on Hallmark Channel at 10am ET/PT.
- Beau Bridges (The Millers) - Beau appears on The Queen Latifah Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Toni Collette (United States of Tara) - Toni will be on HuffPost Live.
- Thomas Haden Church (Wings) - Thomas is a guest on HuffPost Live.
- Sofia Vergara (Modern Family/Hot Properties/The Knights of Prosperity) - Sofia visits ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am.
- James Van Der Beek (Friends with Better Lives/Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23) - James will be on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Holly Robinson Peete (Hangin' with Mr. Cooper/For Your Love) - Holly hosts the Plugged In panel on Access Hollywood Live, so check your local listings.
- Christine Lakin Step by Step) - Christine will be on Big Morning Buzz Live on VH1 at 10am all this week.