Friday, November 09, 2012
Pioneers of Television Returns to PBS on January 15, 2013; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of November 12, 2012)
PBS has announced that Pioneers of Television will return for a third season starting January 15, 2013. PBS' Emmy-nominated series brings to life the stories of television's most beloved stars, telling backstage tales of America's favorite shows. Stars interviewed in the upcoming episodes include Carol Burnett, Lynda Carter, Joan Collins, Diahann Carroll, Richard Chamberlain, Patrick Duffy, Lou Ferrigno, Tina Fey, Louis Gossett Jr., Larry Hagman, Cloris Leachman, Joan Rivers, Leslie Uggams, Rachel Ward, Adam West and Betty White, among many others. Emmy Award-winning radio personality, television host and producer Ryan Seacrest will be narrating the new season's four episodes.
Season three premieres on Tuesday, January 15, 2013, at 8pm ET. "Funny Ladies" offers surprising new insights about television's most-beloved variety star Carol Burnett. The episode also looks at the backstory behind Lucille Ball's breakthrough, I Love Lucy and the sitcom stars who followed, including Mary Tyler Moore, Betty White and Marla Gibbs. Featured television stand-ups include Joan Rivers and the late Phyllis Diller—whose final interview was for this episode. The episode also includes interviews with contemporary actresses Tina Fey and Margaret Cho.
The second episode, "Primetime Soaps," is scheduled to air on Tuesday, January 22, 2013, at 8pm ET. Dallas and Dynasty kicked off the nighttime soap frenzy in the late 1970s, a phenomenon that continued through the last season of Knots Landing in 1993. The episode offers surprising new details about the legendary Who Shot J.R. episode of Dallas, and reveals the backstage personalities that shaped Dynasty and Knots Landing. Interviewees in this episode include Larry Hagman, Joan Collins, Linda Evans, Diahann Carroll, Linda Gray, Patrick Duffy, Michele Lee, Joan Van Ark and Donna Mills.
"Superheroes" will be the focus of the third episode of the season. It's set to air on Tuesday, January 29, 2013, at 8pm ET. "Superheroes" crosses many eras: Superman in the 1950s, Batman in the '60s, Wonder Woman and The Incredible Hulk in the '70s and The Greatest American Hero in the '80s. The episode features in-depth interviews with Adam West, Burt Ward, Julie Newmar, Lynda Carter, Lou Ferrigno, William Katt and others. It also includes comments from Robert Culp about his show The Greatest American Hero, recorded just days before he passed away.
Finally, "Miniseries" will be broadcast on Tuesday, February 5, 2013, at 8pm ET. Miniseries still rank among the top-rated programs in television history. Roots was the biggest — interviewees about that groundbreaking series include stars LeVar Burton, Louis Gossett Jr., Leslie Uggams, Ben Vereen, John Amos, Georg Stanford Brown and Ed Asner. This episode also considers the very first miniseries, Rich Man, Poor Man as stars Peter Strauss and Susan Blakely offer fresh insights. All of the key stars from the landmark miniseries The Thorn Birds (the most-watched romance) provide surprising commentary about the romance seen by more viewers than any other in TV history. These new interviews with Richard Chamberlain, Rachel Ward and Bryan Brown mark the 30th anniversary of one of television's biggest events.
Pioneers of Television premiered on PBS on January 2, 2008. A total of eight episodes were produced during the show's first two seasons. Each episode melds compelling new interviews with iconic clips and never-before-seen photos to offer an insider's look at television’s biggest celebrities. If you missed any of the episodes, both seasons are currently available on DVD. Pioneers of Television - Season 1 includes episodes on late night, sitcoms, game shows and variety. Season 2, which was narrated by Kelsey Grammer and aired in 2011, includes episodes on science fiction, westerns, crime dramas and local kids' tv. These are very entertaining and informative specials. They are well-produced and offer lots of interesting trivia. If you're a fan of television history or documentaries in general, they are a must see. Read our reviews of Season 1 and Season 2 for more details.
It's Friday, so it is time for "Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows" for the coming week. This is where we list what sitcom stars are appearing on talk shows for the coming week, the stars are both current and past sitcom stars, so this is for all sitcom fans of all eras!
For the week of November 12-16, 2012, we have many current sitcom stars and past sitcom stars on TV talk shows! All times listed are Eastern. So get your DVR's (or whatever you use) ready! Ready? Here is all what you need to know for the coming week!
Monday, November 12, 2012
- Adam Pally (Happy Endings) - Watch Adam on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle) - Bryan appears on Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Chelsea Handler (Are You There, Chelsea?) - Chelsea drops by Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC. She will also be on NBC's Today between 10-11am.
- Martha Plimpton (Raising Hope) - Martha is a guest on Chelsea Lately on E! at 11pm.
- Vicki Lawrence (Mama's Family) - Vicki and Tim Conway visit Marie on Hallmark Channel at 12pm ET/PT.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney stops by NBC's Today between 7-9am and 10-11am.
- Marissa Jaret Winokur (Retired at 35) - Marisa talks about her remarkable weight-loss journey on ABC's Good Morning America between 7-9am.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Watch Whitney on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC. She will also be on Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo. Whitney returns on Wednesday, November 14 at 8:30pm ET/PT.
- Christina Applegate (Up All Night/Samantha Who?/Married with Children) - Christina is a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! at 12am on ABC.
- Sally Field (Gidget/The Flying Nun) - Sally appears on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC. Lincoln opens in wide release in theaters on November 16.
- Finesse Mitchell (A.N.T. Farm) - Finesse chats on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon at 12:37am on NBC.
- Joel McHale (Community) - Joel stops by Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Debi Mazar (Entourage) - Debi appears on The Wendy Williams Show at 12am on BET or on your local stations.
- Candace Cameron Bure (Full House) - Candace talks about her new romantic comedy (Hallmark Channel's Puppy Love) on Marie on Hallmark Channel at 12pm ET/PT.
- Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) - Watch Alec on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Helen Hunt (Mad About You) - Helen appears on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Glenn Howerton (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia/That '80s Show) - Glenn visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Whoopi Goldberg (Whoopi/Bagdad Cafe) - Whoopi is a guest on Current TV's Joy Behar: Say Anything! at 6pm.
- Marilu Henner (Taxi) - Marilu (Hallmark Channel's Hitched for the Holidays) whips up a chocolate almond toffee crunch on Marie on Hallmark Channel at 12pm ET/PT.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Catch Zooey on The Late Show with David Letterman at 11:35pm on CBS.
- Tim Allen (Last Man Standing/Home Improvement) - Tim visits The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Nolan Gould (Modern Family) - Nolan drops by The Tonight Show with Jay Leno at 11:35pm on NBC.
- Max Greenfield (New Girl/Modern Men) - Max is a guest on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Lucy Punch (Ben and Kate/The Class) - Lucy stops by The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson at 12:37am on CBS.
- Sally Field (Gidget/The Flyning Nun) - Sally chats on Tavis Smiley on Thursday and Friday, so check your local listings.
- Nadine Velazquez (My Name Is Earl/The League) - Nadine talks about her movie Flight on Marie on Hallmark Channel at 12pm ET/PT.
- Danica McKellar (The Wonder Years) - Danica visits NBC's Today between 10-11am.
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) - Watch Zooey on LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.
- Alyson Hannigan (How I Met Your Mother/Free Spirit) - Alyson is a guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, so check listings.
- Chris Elliott (Get a Life) - Chris appears on a repeat of Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35am on NBC.
- Jay Mohr (Gary Unmarried/Action) - Jay guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Sally Field (Gidget/The Flying Nun) - Sally chats with the ladies of The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Ellen DeGeneres (Ellen) - Ellen drops by Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
- Rob Reiner (All in the Family) - Rob visits The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Cedric the Entertainer (The Soul Man/The Steve Harvey Show - Cedric is a guest on Steve Harvey, so check your local listings.
New on DVD/Blu-ray (January)
01/06 - The Cosby Show - Season 5 (Mill Creek)
01/06 - The Cosby Show - Season 6 (Mill Creek)
01/06 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 5 & 6 (Mill Creek)
01/06 - Girls - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
01/06 - Married with Children - Season Seven (Mill Creek)
01/06 - Married with Children - Season Eight (Mill Creek)
01/06 - Married with Children - Seasons Seven and Eight (Mill Creek)
01/13 - The Big House - The Complete Series
01/13 - Episodes - The Third Season
01/13 - The Facts of Life - The Complete Series (Shout! Factory
01/20 - Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest
Sitcoms Airing Tonight
Tuesday, January 27
New Girl - "Landline" (Fox, 9:00PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
When Coach's liaison with the school nurse (guest star Erinn Hayes) gets messy, vice principal Jess must enforce a new, “no fraternization” policy among the teachers. But the tables soon get turned when she finds herself attracted to the hot new science teacher (guest star Julian Morris). Meanwhile, Nick is enjoying being Schmidt and Winston’s secretary, after the loft gets a new home phone.
The Mindy Project - "The Devil Wears Lands' End" (Fox, 9:30PM ET/PT) (Repeat)
Mindy gets herself and Danny into trouble when she tries to fix the practice’s image in the eyes of the hospital’s new head of obstetrics. Meanwhile, Peter puts his grudge against Jeremy aside when he discovers that his colleague’s beer pong skills could help him beat TV creator Shonda Rhimes (guest-starring as herself), the reigning Dartmouth Alumni Match champion.
Parks and Recreation - "Gryzzlbox" (NBC, 8:00PM ET/PT)
Leslie and Ben suspect that Gryzzl is invading the privacy of Pawnee residents. April addresses the new Parks and Rec interns, while Tom helps Andy renegotiate a contract.
Parks and Recreation - "Save J.J's" (NBC, 8:30PM ET/PT)
Leslie holds a rally in an attempt to keep JJ’s Diner from closing. Tom surprises Donna with the ultimate pre-wedding gift.
Marry Me - "Friend Me" (NBC, 9:00PM ET/PT)
While preparing for the wedding, Annie (Casey Wilson) realizes that Jake (Ken Marino) needs more groomsmen to match her nine bridesmaids and makes a concerted effort to reunite Jake with his long lost friends. Once “The Boyz” are back in their lives however, Annie finds herself competing with them over who knows Jake the best. She also learns that Daniel (guest star Jerry O’Connell, “The League”) may be the real reason behind Jake’s falling out with his friends. Meanwhile, Gil (John Gemberling) persuades Dennah (Sarah Wright Olsen) to join him in his newest business venture - diet shakes.
About a Boy - "About a Hook" (NBC, 9:30PM ET/PT)
With the help of Andy (Al Madrigal), Will (David Walton) gets music mogul Johnny Idalis (guest star Greg Germann) to listen to a new song he wrote, however Johnny isn’t impressed with the hook. Meanwhile, Marcus (Benjamin Stockham) grows upset and frustrated with Chris (guest star Chris Diamantopoulos) and Fiona’s (Minnie Driver) growing relationship and flees to crash with Will, who is left struggling to juggle writing a catchy hook and the complications of his new roommate.
Ground Floor - "The Mansfield Who Came to Dinner" (TBS, 10:00PM ET/PT)
Brody panics when Jenny invites the cultured and sophisticated Mansfield over to their zero bedroom, half bathroom 'palace' for dinner to thank him for paying for college. Harvard and Lindsay are the perfect couple who never, ever fight. That is until all their pent up tension explodes in the middle of Jenny's dinner party. When Threepeat gets his 15 minutes of fame as a financial correspondent, he freezes up until he gets a little on camera help from former childstar Derrick.
Cougar Town - "Waiting for Tonight" TBS, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Grayson makes a reservation at the hottest restaurant in town, and he and Jules are determined to make it despite constant obstacles. Andy rents a special costume for Stan's birthday, but he has trouble getting it off. And Ellie starts ghost tweeting for Laurie, eventually getting lost in her new character.
Sirens - "Superdick" (USA Network, 10:00PM ET/PT)
After saving a landlord with a nut allergy, Johnny finds the perfect apartment to share with Theresa; Brian tries to understand his relationship with Voodoo.
Sirens - "Johnny Nightingale" (USA Network, 10:30PM ET/PT)
Johnny has an encounter with an overly grateful patient; Brian agrees to escort an injured girl to her prom.
Tuesday, January 27
- Patton Oswalt (The Goldbergs/The King of Queens) - Catch Patton on a repeat of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon at 11:34pm on NBC.
- Tony Danza (Who's the Boss?/Taxi) - Tony stops by The Late Late Show at 12:37am on CBS.
- Jim Norton (Louie) - Jim appears on @midnight on Comedy Central at midnight.
- Rainn Wilson (The Office) - Rainn visits Conan at 11pm on TBS.
- Whitney Cummings (Whitney) - Whitney drops by Watch What Happens: Live at 11pm on Bravo.
- Wanda Sykes (The New Adventures of Old Christine/Wanda at Large) - Wanda is a guest on a repeat of The Queen Latifah Show on your local station or at 3am on BET.
- Jeff Garlin (The Goldbergs/Curb Your Enthusiasm) - Jeff appears on The Talk on CBS at 2pm ET/1pm CT-PT.
- Martin Short (Mulaney/The Martin Short Show) - Martin talks about It's Only a Play on NBC's Today in the 9am hour.
- Joel McHale (Community) - Joel will be on NBC's Today in the 10am hour.
- Michaela Watkins (Trophy Wife) - Michaela guest co-hosts The View on ABC at 11am ET/10am CT-PT.
- Roseanne Barr (Roseanne) - Roseanne is a guest on Tavis Smiley on PBS, so check your local listings.
- Steve Carell (The Office) - Steve visits LIVE! with Kelly and Michael, so check your listings.